The Ten Best B-Sides

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
johnfoyle

The Ten Best B-Sides

Post by johnfoyle »

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/musi ... ory=511730

The Ten Best B-Sides
By Magnus Mills
16 April 2004

1 YOU CAN'T DO THAT The Beatles (A-side: Can't Buy Me Love, 1964)

This was released when the Mop Tops were absolutely at their peak and I was a school kid. When you're that age, 10 or so, the B-sides are as important as the A-sides because you can't afford lots of records. Ringo has this ace percussion effect with these things you clank, like a cowbell, which gives it a fantastic "live sound", and John Lennon does the lead vocal.

2 STAND DOWN MARGARET The Beat (Best Friend, 1980)

The cover had a picture of Maggie Thatcher riding a sort of monocycle thing. The title "Stand Down Margaret" was a theme for a lot of people. It sounds like a quaint period piece now but is equally applicable to the present Prime Minister, probably more so I think. He's doing more damage than she ever did.

3 YOU'RE A BETTER MAN THAN I The Yardbirds (Shapes of Things, 1966)

This has a Jeff Beck guitar solo that goes on for quite a long time, and then, at the end of each verse, Keith Relf sings: "You're a better man than I", and he extends it for a few bars each time, like a Gregorian chant.

4 THE BUTTERFLY COLLECTOR The Jam (Strange Town, 1978)

It's a very cleverly thought out song. I don't know exactly what it's about but it's targeting someone, and Paul Weller sings "You finally got what you wanted". I think he'd seen through somebody.

5 SOLDIER AND POLICE WAR Jah Lion (Police and Thieves by Junior Murvin, 1976)

He tells us about the problems between the police and the soldiers, the black brothers, and how they always end up on opposite sides. The bloke has got a really resonant voice and this is an early example of an MC song.

6 JUST PASSING The Small Faces (I Can't Make It, 1967)

This is only 68 seconds long. It pedals along like a fairground organ and it's got a "beep beep" at the end of every line. It's a bit of fun and a bit druggy, and it ends with them dissolving into giggles.

7 I'M NOT YOUR STEPPIN' STONE The Monkees (I'm a Believer, 1967)

Whenever the Monkees were accused of not being able to play, Mike Nesmith would say, "Well, just come and see us play live", so presumably they could. Micky Dolenz could certainly play the drums and sing, and he's the lead on "Steppin' Stone".

8 TEN COMMANDMENTS OF MAN Prince Buster (Sting Like a Bee, 1964)

This was a fantastic dance piece, it's not really ska, it's more of a Jamaican dancehall record with a really nice tune. The "Ten Commandments of Man" was more or less banned by most radio stations at the time because it's very sexist, though you still hear it from time to time on FM stations. The A-side, "Sting Like a Bee", would be one of my Desert Island Discs, a cheerful number.

9 ROCK AND ROLL PART 2 Gary Glitter (Rock And Roll Part 1, 1972)

This was the first of Gary Glitter's call-and-response records, and it was his first hit. Although he's now the man who can't be mentioned any more, he certainly had his moment when he was "The Leader".

10 THE HEAVIEST BASSLINE IN THE WORLD EVER Earl Zinger (Song 2wo, 2002)

The A-side is a light reggae version of Blur's "Song Two" with a nice Jamaican-style vocal over the top. The B-side is a typical British novelty record, with a spoken voice about this heavy bassline. It's done in an echo chamber and there's lots of blobs and boinks and you can hear the heavy bassline throbbing away sulkily in the background like it's been rounded up. The song is about how it escapes and it kills the doorman when it escapes from the studio.

All Magnus Mills's books have recently been reissued in paperback by Harper Perennial
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I heartily agree about song number one. That is one hot funky cha-cha, and the credit goes in great part to Mr. Starkey.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Some nice ones there. I have lots of faves, all from the same era, when I was avidly buying singles, '78-82, more or less. Some particular memories:

Sweetness - B side of Rattlesnakes, Lloyd Cole and Commotions. Please play it in october, Lloyd! Slight but heavenly.

Novelty (Transmission B) and These Days (Love Will Tear Uss Apart B), Joy Division - like James Joyce, they could only produce masterpieces (and if Dead Souls was the B of the original Sordide Sentimental release of Atmosphere, then that too).

So Sad About Us - B side of Jam's Tube Station At Midnight, perfect cover of Who song, see Jam thread for further babbling. The Butterfly Collector seems to be aimed at a female musical impresario. It's a fabulous song. Another great Jam one was Dreams of Children on Going Underground, but that was a double A where only one side got the attention, as tends to happen with double As.

Pictures - B side of Josef K's Chance Meeting. Actually, almost any B side from the Orange Juice/Josef K Postcard label singles is a masterpiece. it was just the best run of singles imaginable. My equivalent of Motown. I mean, Orange Juice put out Blue Boy and Love Sick on one single! It's probably a double A, both songs were so fabulous you couldn't stop playing both, so even if it was technically not a double A, it felt like one.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I think for me the single greatest B-Side that The Beatles ever released was "Rain". Brilliant.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

And we haven't touched on costello B-sides. I'm a bit hazy over what was a b-side and what's just a track from the sessions, as I only bought his LPs and Radio Radio, apart from one item: Just a Memory from the New Amsterdam EP.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

I would rank Don't Let Me Down (b-side of Get Back) up there with Rain.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm also a big fan of the David Bowie b-side "Velvet Goldmine" (b-side of "Space Oddity" reissue in 1975) and "I Need You" by The Kinks (b-side of "Set Me Free")
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

And speaking of the Kinks, I'm Not Like Everybody Else (sorry, not sure which single it was the B side to) is one of Ray's best songs. Sung by Dave, it could be the anthem for all time in regards to post-modern rock.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Fantastic tune, pophead... that's the b-side to "Sunny Afternoon"
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

REVOLUTION -- The Beatles (A-side: Hey Jude) Released 26th August 1968. This was incidentally the Beatles' biggest selling single.

I was never a great singles collector, but a favourite in my meagre singles collection is Bruce Springsteen - Brilliant Disguise/Lucky Man, the latter being a non-album track.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The thing is, people like Elvis Costello, Bruce Springsteen, Paul Weller etc release fabulous B-sides that most people would dream of of having as A sides. Didn't Michael Jackson release something silly like 5 singles from Thriller with instrumental versions as B sides?

I mean Elvis B sides include Big Tears and Tiny Steps; Paul Weller's include Spring, Summer, Autumn, Headstart for Happiness, the afore-mentioned Butterfly Collector (written about Sue Catwoman who was a notorious groupie and featured in the Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle film) and Tales From The Riverbank and Bruce Springsteen recorded things like Janey Don't Lose your Heart and Be True.

Good calls on Revolution and Rain and Stand Down Margaret.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Was RAIN the B-side to PAPERBACK WRITER? I have a fuzzy memory.... if so, one of those cases where the B-side is better than the A-side.
Otis Westinghouse

BlueChair wrote:I'm also a big fan of the David Bowie b-side "Velvet Goldmine" (b-side of "Space Oddity" reissue in 1975)
I am thoroughly ashamed to confess I've never heard this. Will have to download and check out. I'm a huge Bowie fan, but not a completist at all. This one I must hear. never heard Rain either, which I recall thinking in the Tower of Song days.

Thanks for details on Sue Catwoman, VG. I said in the Jam thread that it was about an impresario, which has always been in my head. A kind of female vamp version of Malcolm Maclaren, don't know why. Groupie figures, though (just a different kind who wants their minds).
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

[quote="Otis Westinghouse]I am thoroughly ashamed to confess I've never heard this. Will have to download and check out. I'm a huge Bowie fan, but not a completist at all. This one I must hear.[/quote]

Otis, it's available on quite a few hits compilations (I have it on Best Of 1969-1974), but I suppose one serious about purchasing most of the standard Bowie albums wouldn't buy something with mostly stuff they already have. "Velvet Goldmine" actually dates back to Ziggy era. Good tune.
Otis Westinghouse

I've got none of the 70s stuff on CD, all on (very well-preserved, despite endless playing) vinyl. Apart from Aladdin Sane, which I traded in on vinyl as a teen and never rebought. Stupidly got a standard AS CD, not the special reissue (because I didn't know it was coming out). I want to get that and especially the Ziggy one, but they're quite a bit pricier than the EC ones. I think Diamond Dogs is out this year too. seems like they're releasing each one on its 30th anniversary.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I was looking at the Beatles singles discography this morning and the b sides are truly amazing - Strawberry Fields and Day Tripper were the flipsides for christsakes! One that seems more like a b-side and is as personal favorite - I Don't Want To Spoil The Party - b-side of Eight Days A Week.

Elvis the P - Don't Be Cruel was Hound Dog's b-side.

A Couple more from the Kinks - a sides in ()

Where Have All The Good Times Gone (Till The End of The Day)
Big Black Smoke ( Dead End Street)
Polly (Wonderboy)
She's Got Everything (Days)
King Kong (Plastic Man)

I think the last four are all on the (overpriced) Kinks Kronikles set.

A couple more from what we'll call the "Otis Era"

The great b-sides from the Clash - 1977, Jailg Guitar Doors, Pressure Drop, Armegideon Time.

More from the Jam - Liza Radley, Tales From The Riverbank, Disguises, Dreams of Children, Aunities And Uncles.

The flipside to Oh Bondage, Up Yours! - I Am A Cliche - X-Ray Spex

Devo - Jocko Homo as the flip to Mongoloid

Sex Pistols - No Fun (imo better than the Iggy original) b side of Pretty Vacant

and from Boston - the Neighborhoods had one of the best singles of the era with No Place Like Home / Prettiest Girl.

that was much longer than I anticipated - too much coffee.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

[quote="Boy With A Problem"]and from Boston [quote]

Phew! You had me worried there for a second...
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

http://www.elviscostello.info/disc/single_index.html

Top ten EC B-sides...in the humblest of my humble opinions.

Radio Sweetheart
Clean Money
Getting Mighty Crowded
Town Cryer (alt. version)
Withered and Died
The Ugly Things
My Mood Swings
American without Tears no.2
Welcome to the Working Week
You Belong To Me

Maybe this should go in the main room, but sod it. :D
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Great choices bit you left out some crackers too...

Heathen Town
Tiny Steps
Find Yourself Another Fool
corruptio optimi pessima
Boy With A Problem

and Psycho
Otis Westinghouse

And Just A Memory, as per mine above. OK, it's an EP, but it still counts.

I think we need to observe the double A ruling to accuratley talk about b-sides. Wasn't Strawberry Fields a double-A with Penny Lane? And I'm sure Dreams of Children was.

'The Otis era' - I like that. It's also the BWAP era, of course, and that of many others here besides! Actually, my era isn't so much 1977. Well it kind of is, but I really kick in at the age of 15 in 1979!

Surely Armegideon Time was it's own a-side. Or was it the b of Bank Robber?

Was The Jam's Ghosts a b-side or just an album track? That is a fabulous song. I'm much more into All Mod Cons-Sound Affects era Jam (i.e. from the 'Otis era'!), but that is a great one.
Boy With A Problem

Ghosts was just an album track - and an example of how awsesome and intrical Foxton was to the Jam sound - a great bass hook in that song.

I believe Armagedion Time was the b side to London Calling...at least in the UK - back in the BWAP era (snicker) I used to pick up the import singles and had the 12" and the 7" - in the US they teamed London Calling with Train In Vain - only Train In Vain was the A.

Bank Robber was the was the A side - Rockers Galore the B.

Indeed, there is such a thing as a double A side single. I'm not sure whether or not the single is a double A before release or after both tracks have become hits. I guess if the latter was the case, there would be a hell of a lot of double b side singles out there!
Otis Westinghouse

Before release. I recall a case, though I can't recall the songs/band, of a double-A that was number 1 for weeks on end with only one song being famous, and every once in a while they showed the other A side for good measure. It was quite a common concept here, although the radio playlist would always focus on one of the sides.
Otis Westinghouse

Before release. I recall a case, though I can't recall the songs/band, of a double-A that was number 1 for weeks on end with only one song being famous, and every once in a while they showed the other A side for good measure. It was quite a common concept here, although the radio playlist would always focus on one of the sides.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Mull of Kintyre was a b-side. Girlschool being the original a-side.

Just thought I'd mention it
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."