About our wonderful selves - answer a question and ask one

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

bambooneedle wrote:Oh, thaaaat march? Miss Buenos Aires said March for Women's Rights.
See http://www.marchforwomen.org. It was called the March for Women's Lives, not "pro-choice rally". Watch the news, dude.
bambooneedle wrote:The Washington march is above all a pro-choice thing, regarding reproduction (particular emphasis on partial-birth abortions)... choices which could also include men in the process depending on who you ask.
Yes, but the big powerful men in the US are currently trying to take these rights away from women. Yes, the decision should include men as men are a part of the whole impregnating process, but fundamentally it's the woman's body and therefore is the woman's choice.
bambooneedle wrote: "Women's rights" would encompass a whole lot more, like concerning the things I mentioned, or not much being so vague. It's no surprise that many involved in the march including celebrities decide to place the emphasis on "women's rights", though.
Concerning what, bitching about men? Yes, equal pay is important just as job opportunities and fair treatment. But that's not quite as fundamental of a <i>human right</i> as things like deciding what to do with your body.
bambooneedle wrote:And phrases like "the rights of racial minorities" or "the rights of homosexuals" or "still a long way to go" are just as almost meaningless. Still a long way to go... for what, specifically?
Uh.....equal rights? How about equal pay for racial minorities, marriage rights for homosexuals, fair legal treatment for all of the above?
bambooneedle wrote: Just because you're a woman or a man or you're gay or consider yourself as part of a racial minority, it doesn't mean that you should automatically have all the rights you want. Be specific, and the law might recognize your position.
You shouldn't automatically have all the rights you want??????? Uh....ok, no rights to kill people - but how about finally giving everyone the same basic civil rights (see above), not just straight white men. Are you arguing this??
bambooneedle wrote:Pro-choice is about the right to decide about something for yourself above anyone else doing it for you -- that's what it's about -- not about what group you're in. It's fundamental.
Exactly! And that right is currently being threatened for all women within the US, and because of the global gag order the US has imposed - worldwide. Do some reading, bamboo - this isn't exactly a secret.

And now that I'm done with my rant, let's get back to business.....
DrSpooky wrote:Margaret Sanger or Gloria Steinem? And a bit on why?
Margret Sanger. She ruled.

Carrots or Celery?
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

So a right to choose is more fundamental than a right to live? I don't think so. Once conceived, the being inside of the woman is alive, that's a scientific fact, and the philosophical problem we run into at that point is that allowing abortion heavily implies that a right to live is NOT fundamental.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Carrots.

What is your favourite word?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Red, just what are you disagreeing with me about? You seem to have grossly misunderstood me or confused yourself, or both.

Of course everyone deserves equal rights, but that doesn't mean that every group (gay, ethnic minorities, women, etc) should get want everything they want just on the basis of them being those things, is all I meant. They might get what they "want", eg. some kind of welfare, which could be worse for the wider society and/or for the recipient in the long term. Or something plain unreasonable that has nothing to do with equality. If you think that the only reasonable exclusion regarding rights a group wants should be killing someone, and claim to be pro-choice, then you don't understand pro-choice in terms of abortion.

My main point had to do with the semantics and skewing of the core issue, in response to Bush's action, which should be recognized as choice, not "women's rights", because if you take away it away in terms of abortion then it may be taken away for all sorts of things not particular to just women.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

seanpointblank wrote:So a right to choose is more fundamental than a right to live? I don't think so. Once conceived, the being inside of the woman is alive, that's a scientific fact, and the philosophical problem we run into at that point is that allowing abortion heavily implies that a right to live is NOT fundamental.
Seanpointblank, The pro-choice argument isn't a pro-abortion argument.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yes, but what we WANT is equal rights!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Not always.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

RedShoes wrote:Carrots or Celery?
"There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh-so-very special about a firm young carrot." Celery bothers me immensely.
verbal gymnastics wrote:What is your favourite word?
Plinth. Or Archive. Or Procrastination.

*eyes the ironing*

Yeah, procrastination.

Due to my sudden addiction to the stuff.... Marmite: Love it or Hate it?
verbal gymnastics

Love it.

And whatever happened to Moments which were cheese and Marmite savouries. Delicious. Are they still available?

Thunderbirds or Stingray?
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Thunderbirds, especially the 50" models and they must be convertible

Micheal Jackson or Jessie Jackson ?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Jesse Jackson, if only because I'd take just about anyone over Michael :lol:

"Yellow Submarine" or "Octopus' Garden?"
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Oh, dear, my two least-favorite Beatles songs. Octopus' Garden, I guess, because wasn't there a cute little bit on the Muppet Show or Sesame Street, or something? Or perhaps, I am suffering brain damage from inhaling 'Green Grape' paint fumes. Anyway, the plodding chorus of Yellow Submarine I just hate.

Night owl, or morning person?
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

both. I'd rather get up and get stuff done during the workweek, but I love to sleep in and stay up late doing fun stuff whenever I can. I'm a terrible procrastinator, so I sometimes stay up late doing the things I put off in the morning. and I love to have a quiet hour or so to myself. if that makes sense.

how tall are you?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

5'7", and definitely a morning person. I wish all parties would end by eleven o'clock...

Sorry about starting that argument between RedShoes and bambi--the one time I don't proofread my post, and look what happens...it was the March for Women's Lives. And it was awesome. Truly inspiring.

What's your favorite article of clothing?
verbal gymnastics

miss buenos aires wrote:5'7", and definitely a morning person. I wish all parties would end by eleven o'clock...
am or pm?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

PM, so that I could be snuggled in bed by midnight...
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

miss buenos aires wrote:What's your favorite article of clothing?
Peacoat.

How did you decide on your current hairstyle?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I got tired of burning my ears with a curling iron, so I went with the POW look.

what's your favorite breakfast food? assuming, of course, that you eat breakfast.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

....but you can't put a carrot in a bloody mary - well you could, but it has to be celery!
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

bambooneedle wrote:
seanpointblank wrote:So a right to choose is more fundamental than a right to live? I don't think so. Once conceived, the being inside of the woman is alive, that's a scientific fact, and the philosophical problem we run into at that point is that allowing abortion heavily implies that a right to live is NOT fundamental.
Seanpointblank, The pro-choice argument isn't a pro-abortion argument.
In a way, it is. It's for keeping the act legal. If murder became legal, wouldn't that also imply that you have no fundamental right to life? The groups pushing the law could also say they are not pro-murder, they just want people to be able to make that choice.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

what's your favorite breakfast food? assuming, of course, that you eat breakfast.
Irish, but not too often!

What is your favourite cover of a Beatles song?
signed with love and vicious kisses
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

so lacklustre wrote: Irish, but not too often!
Oh man, Red & I had some amazing Irish breakfasts while staying at Bed & Breakfasts in small Irish villages. I'm normally not a breakfast person, but this was amazing!

As for the Beatles cover... they're one of those groups that constantly gets butchered, but there are a few great covers. I'd have to go with Al Green's version of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand."

Favourite Bob Dylan cover?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Byrds - All I Really Want To Do

(Beatles - Cornershop - Norwegian Wood)

More addictive - Pistacios or Cadbury Mini Eggs?
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Pistacios !!!!! I can put them away by the ton

teased while naked in public or pelted with rocks and garbage ?
verbal gymnastics

Crash - have you been spying on me again?

Pelted with rocks and garbage. I don't think I could stand hearing "That looks like a penis. But smaller" again*. :lol: :lol: :lol:

* Disclaimer. This has not actually happened. Yet.

McDonalds or Burger King hamburger (if forced)?