songs that remind you of....

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
girl out of time

songs that remind you of....

Post by girl out of time »

songs that remind me of certain moments certain places.....

-bittersweet symphony/ the verbe.....san sebastian, spain
summer of 97, walking all over town with the most heavy backpack ever, somehow this song made it a lot more easier to go on.
-moondance/van the man......mojacar, spain
a beautiful mediterranean night, drinking red whine on a balcony, a full moon (fever!) and van morrison...
-brothers in arms/dire straits....san jose de cabo de gata, spain
in dire straits was i, indeed...hopelessly trying to hitch-hike on an almost desert highway...no cars in sight,just walking and this song being played by the only fm radio station that my walkman was able to pick up.
-why/annie lennox.......lagohina, brazil
once every 15 minutes you would listen to this song back in 1992....apparently djs LOVED it!

-slipping away/the rolling stones.....teenage years, mar del plata
my friend mariana had a major crush on keith richards (??????!!!!!!), anyway she would play this song over and over again ....yet i never got to hate it......

well....these are few stories linking music to places or moments in my life....
what are yours?
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Rose Royce - Car Wash. I played that song on my car cassette the first time I used a car wash, and now it always makes me thing of a certain service station in West Yorkshire.
Where's North from 'ere?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Shania Twain- You're Still the One

This was playing during an unbelievably unrelaxing massage I got in Budapest a few years ago. I was at the thermal baths, and it was only a couple of bucks more for a massage, so I was like, why not? The masseuse took a look at me, pointed at my bathing suit, and jerked her thumb over her shoulder, sign language for "take that off." Then I move to drape my towel over the grimy massage pad, but the towel goes over you (get it? because you're naked!). Ten minutes of pointy fingers jabbed into my back (hich is, p.s., not getting relaxed at all, on the contrary), and I am left with a profound distaste for Shania Twain.
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

Summer 2000. My best friend and I took a road trip to Phoenix. Every day, without fail, we would listen to "Slow Ride", "Low Rider" and "Tuesday's Gone" from the Dazed and Confused soundtrack. To this day, when I listen to any of those songs, I remember the endless hours of driving, hanging my cigarette out the window, and the stupid hat that whoever was driving had to wear.

sloooooowwwww rideeeeeee....
take it eeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssssyyyyyyyyyy

good times :D
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I was in my third year of teaching, and the principal that I worked for was losing her mind. 25 teachers quit at the end of that year, but for about 3 months in the winter and spring, I thought I was the only one she was picking on. It was positively miserable; nothing I did was ok, and everything I did was questioned. Now, I think I'm a really good teacher, but I've been doing this now for 10 years, and so my confidence in that fact is much stronger now than it was then. Anyway, I spent several weeks thinking I was going to get fired. Wilco's Being There album came out that year, and I was playing it in the car a lot. The first song, Misunderstood, pretty much summed up my mood. It was very cathartic, especially at the end. It helped me get through the whole awful experience. I found out later that the principal was going through a divorce and quitting smoking at the same time, so I utterly forgive her for everything. But I stillt hink of that situation when I hear that song:

When you're back in your old neighborhood
The cigarettes taste so good
But you're so misunderstood
You're so misunderstood

There's something there that you can't find
Honest when you're tellin' a lie
You hurt her but you don't know why
You love her but you don't know why

Short on long term goals
There's a party there that we oughtta go to
Do you still love rock and roll?
Do you still love rock and roll?

It's only a quarter to three
Reflecting off your C.D.
You're looking at a picture of me
You're staring at a picture of me

Take the guitar player for a ride
He ain't never been satisfied
He thinks he owes some kind of debt
Be years before he gets over it

There's a fortune inside your head
All you touch turns to lead
You think you might just crawl back in bed
The fortune inside your head

You know you're just a mama's boy
Positively unemployed
So misunderstood
So misunderstood

I know you gotta God shaped hole
Leanin' out your soul
So misunderstood
So misunderstood
So misunderstood
So misunderstood

I'd like to thank you all for nothin'
I'd like to thank you all for nothin' at all
I'd like to thank you all for nothin'
Nothin' nothin' nothin' nothin' nothin' at all
Nothin' nothin' nothin' nothin' at all

Wilco - Misunderstood
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Not just a song, but a whole album for me.

XTC's Skylarking reminds me of one of the best times of my life. In 1986 I had just graduated from college, moved to San Francisco, had my first real job, lived in a beautiful turn-of-the-century flat, and met the man whom I would later marry. I had virtually no responsibilities but to my job, my bills and myself.

It was a great, great time for me and one of the few times of my life that I would relive if I could.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

"What Do I Do Now" by EC (a cover tune by Sleeper). In a miserable relationship with a man I loved more than anything, but the guy was a jealous maniac. Listening to that song over and over, thinking about leaving, wishing he would stop spying on me and having me followed, feeling like a dumbass and wanting to leave and wanting to be with him.

"Human Being" by Seal. Reuniting with my current boyfriend, who I'd dated briefly several years before. Looking at him and realizing he's the man I'm supposed to be with until I get wrinkles and my teeth fall out.

"Particle Man" by They Might Be Giants. Eighth grade. I had a teacher who was at once the coolest and creepiest man I'd ever known. He played that song during spelling tests. A great guy, and he and I kept in touch for quite a few years; he was like a mentor to me....until he asked me out on my 18th birthday. My hero turned into a Humbert.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

SLC - oh, you jogged my memory!

"Wrapped around your finger" - the Police

after i finally realized that my advisor/fav professor was *totally* hitting on me (we even dated, and i had no clue we were dating. i lived life then with blinders on, *obviously*.) this song was like a little knife i carried around to stab the memory of him, and help me stay focussed on getting away from him. it still makes me feel powerful. :)

if any of you are professor-types, please, don't hit on the fresh-persons. wait until they're sophmores if you have to get flirty. it's just so unfair to them.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

The whole of Jordan:The Comeback by Prefab Sprout. Brings to mind lying on the beach when I slobbed around the Greek Islands in my mid 20s. A great summer record.

In The Summertime by Mungo Jerry. On camping hols in Cornwall and Devon as a child. Brilliant memories.

Oliver's Army. Anne O'Brien .... :wink: enough said.

Is She Really going out with him ? by Joe Jackson....White Winkelpickers, black jacket, green parka. Standing outside chip shop in Blanchardstown (Dublin) all night posing. Cold air on my breath. Running out of ciggies. Wishing I could afford a pie. Chatting up Helen Sansovini and Lorraine Daly. They just wouldn't play.

No Alibis by Eric Clapton (just for Oily Slick).....memories of illicit relationship with Kathy, the older married woman.

Sound of the Suburbs by The Members. Makes me feel 15 again.

What a Fool believes...Doobie Bros
Lido Shuffle...Boz Scaggs
Hungry Heart......Bruce
Where's Romeo ?....Cava, Cava
Sound of the Crowd........Human League
Baby I Love You......Ramones
Lucky Numbers......Lena Lovich
Because the night........Patti Smith

Oh..I could go on and on and on............

Most of all..Up The Junction by Squeeze. Snogging under a railway bridge with Rosemary Took. First french kiss and later the first breast fondle. A landscape that would bring to mind 'Kes' - one of the best ever UK movies IMHO. It had no right to be romantic, but it was the most romantic thing.....ever. Thanks Rose :D
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Jacks, those are awesome. I've held back from this thread cause there are just TOO DAMN MANY, but when I read yours a few came to mind that I thought I'd jot down... these are not in chronological order.

First side of Stevie Wonder's TALKING BOOK: losing my virginity (it was well after that came out, I am not that old, nor did I lose it that young!!)

Anything off Joe J.'s LOOK SHARP: first semester of college, with my lesbian roommate.

All of OLD AND IN THE WAY: driving to New Hampshire when I was 17 in a VW Bug convertible with four friends (don't ask me how we fit, I have NO idea).

All of ALMOST BLUE: Sitting in my friend Ken's basement, each of us peeling the labels off beer bottles when we should have been attacking each other.

George Jones's I ALWAYS GET LUCKY: sitting in my Mom's derelict Chevy Caprice, alone on a rainy night, crying and smoking half a pack of unfiltered Camels until I was ready to puke.

Brian Ferry's BOYS AND GIRLS: Sitting in the bedroom of my NYC apartment (that I shared with four other women!) thinking it was really time to end that 2-yr bout of celibacy.

I love that Mungo Jerry song, Jacks-- it reminds me of driving to summer camp, whatever yera it was that that hit the States. I put that tune on a compilation tape for the car just a few months ago!

I could go on and on....
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

SMM- of course In the Summertime did have the dubious lyric "have a drink, have a drive...."

A few years ago, they used it in an anti drink-driving campaign in the UK accompanied by a gruesome film of an accident....
Spoiled it a little for me, but if it made just one person think twice...
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."