names we like

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

names we like

Post by miss buenos aires »

Not that I'm pregnant or anything, but every once in a while I like to make a list of what I'd like to name a baby.

boy- Oscar (or Oskar), Luka, Hank, Jack, Malachi
girl- Agatha, Eve (or Eva), Ivy, Olivia, Annette

This is also fun: http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

my favorite name is Katherine. almost infinitely malleable to fit the wearer (Kitty, Kat, Kathy, Kate, Rina, Katya....), but by itself is classic.

and, it's a family name. another family name is Bryson. would LOVE to know how that one came about. found it on a headstone in a small TN church graveyard.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Don't have any names I like off hand, though Zebadiah keeps rattling around for some reason.

There is one name I would like to vote against, and that's the name Young. Apparently it's a 'southern' thing to use this as a name, for some reason I find it very Southern-plantation owner-like.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Taz: It's still better than the southern people who actually use the name "Junior" as a name and not a suffix. :o
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

southern nameing conventions that we hate:

poppet's #1 - using two first names. Billy Bob. Wanda Sue. Robert James.

if my mamma had intended for me to go by my first two names, they would have a hyphen between them. so says me.

my SC relatives insisted on using both my names. i used to tell them - okay, if you want to use the name from your side of the faminly, fine. call me that, i'll answer to it. but please, just ONE OR THE OTHER. not BOTH!

yeah, it's silly, but it really bugged me.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

I like the names Claire and Lauren, Richard Adam and Ross......wait a minute!! Thats the names ive given my children so I must like them!! :lol:

Incidentally I got lumbered with the name of Gillian and I hate it! My sister got the exotic name of Deanna pronounded 'Deena'. Mind you it could have been worse, - my parents said it was a choice between Gillian and Beverley........eeeeewwwwwww!!!! :x
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Gillian is a lovely name.

My favorites for a boy are my kids' names. I'll not post those names here. Unfortunately, I feel really hinky about that. If we had a girl, we'd name her Eve, at least according to the last conversation my wife and I had about this (2 years ago).

Other boys names I like: Liam, Roman, Riley, Ian, Gabriel, Jack and Lowell.

Other girls names I like: Jacqueline, Lucy, Lucinda, Lucia, Nina, Annette
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Gillibeanz wrote:Mind you it could have been worse, - my parents said it was a choice between Gillian and Beverley........eeeeewwwwwww!!!! :x
Mine was either Jason or Clyde....thankful for Jason every day
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

"What about Jason? I just love biblical names. If I had another boy I'd name him Jason, Caleb or Tab."
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

I, too, think Gillian is a lovely name.

As a matter of fact, my hubby brought up the possibility of having another child a few nights back. Yeah, I'm 41, and my "only" is almost 16, but funnier things have happened...

At any rate, we started discussing names (just "in theory", of course), and, since my son is "Gordon Michael", I said I'd like the name of "Geoffrey Matthew" (or some other middle name with an "M"). We were racking our brains about what kind of "G" name we could come up with for a girl, and couldn't think of anything we liked.

Now, why didn't I think of Gillian??

8)
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

When my husband and I married, we each already had two children, and it's still funny to me that their names all start with J. He had Jessica and Josiah Robert (although he goes by Rob sometimes) and I had Jordan and Justin. Sometimes I'll start to call one of the kids and I'll get one of those "senior moments" where I want to say a name but I can't get past the "J" sound at the beginning. I usually go through two or three names before I get it right. And it's even more complicated since my husband's name is Joel. Sometimes I just point and say, "You. you know what your name is. Come here." :lol:
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

I'm sure that becomes especially hard Spook when you're a little...how shall we say...agitated... I used to love it when my mom would get so mad she'd forget my name...I of course laughed, which didn't help matters... :lol:
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I was the youngest of 5. I got called every name in the house, including those of my sisters and the dog.

But I'm not bitter.
--William Shakespeare
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

SULKY: Well if you are going to call the poor thing Gillian if you have one just dont call its second name after mine.... its awful and named after my aunt who I cant stand either- Joan!! :shock:

My poor partner is called Bruce....his mother is Scottish and wanted to call him Robert Bruce but his Dad put his foot down and called him Bruce Robert! In the monty Python era everone has a field day with him!! Now people just ask if he is Australian or named after a dog!! :D
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

If I have a child my car insurance would go down. Incentive! Meaning of the names and people I admire have inspired this list.

Girls-Theodora, Evangeline, Sigrid

Boys-James, Julian

I'm seriously lacking in boy names people I meet keep ruining them for me. The names will get weirder and weirder I'm certain. . .unless I actually have a child soon.

Gillian is a lovely name. I've liked it ever since I saw 'Bell, Book and Candle' when I was about 8. I do like my name so I guess I'm lucky.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I had a teacher called Miss. Curtain and we all thought it was hilariously funny to call her Annette Curtain. Well, we were 12.

Hey Noise, my sister is called Nina and one of her middle names is Beverly, Gillibeanz. Don't worry, she hated it too. My other sister is named Heather and big bro is Andrew. All very Scottish.
Last edited by PlaythingOrPet on Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Sorry, a little off topic but Plaything mentioned teachers names. My English teacher in 10th grade was Ms. Kuntz. Well, how would you pronounce it? :lol:

Long u of course...but she shouldn't have written it on the board the first day!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I kind of like Hannibal, and Frank.

For girls, I like Mary and Sue.
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

Hmm.

XY chromosome: Michael, David, Christian, Isaac, Aaron, Rory, Tucker (though only in theory. The other kids would torture the poor mite), Colin, Nicholas.

XX chromosome: Olivia, Grace, Leah, Katharine, Rosalie, Miranda, Della, Sophie, Georgianne (which is another name that's better in theory than practice)
girl out of time

names

Post by girl out of time »

boy: ulyses, martin
girl: sophia, cecilia
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

taz wrote:Sorry, a little off topic but Plaything mentioned teachers names. My English teacher in 10th grade was Ms. Kuntz. Well, how would you pronounce it? :lol:
I know what you mean, taz...before I wmet back to college to study IT (that's "Information Technology", folks), I worked for a Medical Exchange/Answering Service/Pager Dispatch company as a(n) operator. One of the companies we answered for was "Fuch's Painting Service".

How would you pronounce it?

"Fewks" is how WE pronounced it, but the telephone solicitors would try to "play familiar" and ask..."Is Mr. Fucks there?"

:lol:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

noiseradio wrote:I was the youngest of 5. I got called every name in the house, including those of my sisters and the dog.

But I'm not bitter.
Noise, I've been reading all the comments and came to yours here and I have to say.....

I have been giggling like an idiot. The way you spat that out just struck me as so funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks
I'm not angry anymore....
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

i love the name benjamen. i always knew i'd name my son ben. sigh.

girl's names i like are colleen, katy, penny, suzanne, alison (no suprise there), and i liked the name brianne until i got dumped by one.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

taz wrote:Sorry, a little off topic but Plaything mentioned teachers names....
My first year in jr. high (7th gr.) our reading teacher was Mrs. Finger. Phyllis Finger....and wow, was she odd, to put it mildly.

As for my favorite names...

(Sulky, you have to cut this out!) My first two boys are Jeffrey (No "G" though) and Matthew.
I also like Mithchell (my youngests name) Brendan, Beck, Alex, Zachary and Julian

And for the girls,
Abigail (my daughters name), Alison (it was a really tough decision between the two) Claire, Annabelle, Jillian (love that name..with a "G" or a "J") and Samantha (Ended up naming my dog Samantha because I had the dog before I had a baby. Then when I had my daughter I was pissed because I used my very best girl name on my dog.)
I'm not angry anymore....
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

My 6th grade English teacher was Mrs. Yoder. This was in the early 80's, right after Return of the Jedi came out. Yoder...Yoda...6th grade boys...good times.
--William Shakespeare