Steve Nieve`s Windows

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
johnfoyle

Steve Nieve`s Windows

Post by johnfoyle »

http://pub8.bravenet.com/forum/676852346/fetch/240630/

Windows : a review
Name: gootsy

Message: Just got my "windows" cd (no, not the microsoft one )yesterday, so I loaded it on my archos (for those who don't know, it's a cheaper iPod) and listened to it this morning on the train.

First of all, I'd like to ask a question : the cover says "performed by Steve Nieve", but what about the wind instruments, the percussions, the guitars... ? Is it all synth or did you play these instruments ?

Ok, now here's the review :

- The album begins really soft, with a very Satie-esque theme (Window #1).
- Window #2 is a multi-part song, which begins where window #1 left us. Then it expands with synth layers and a theme close to "cello" from "mumu", and got into a very pink floydy feeling with the bells and the vintage synth sound.
- Window #3 is a very moody piece which could have been from the soundtrack of series like NYPD, New York 911 or ER.
- Window #4 brings us to massive attack /craig armstrong with analog drums.
- Window #5 begins with a honky tonk piano and a theme very "Amelie Poulain" or "piano lesson" played by a prog band.
- Window #6, with percussions, is the most interresting song of the experience with the klaxon-like synths at the end which really interract with the theme.
- Window #7, with its overdrive guitar could have been a "pink floyd" intro (wish you were here-era). The voices at the end continue that feeling.
- Window #8 takes a little bit of the window #2 theme, in a very smoothly way; again a lot of Erik Satie.
- The cd ends with window #9, dedicated to the composer's wife and muse (well know by all the fans) Muriel. It definitively file the record under the "Ambient" banner, aside Brian Eno. A very quiet layers theme duelling with what seems to be a random
synth.

Overall a great record to start or end the day by or to listen in your bath. Thanks again, Mr. Nieve !
Misha

Post by Misha »

John,

I'm with you so far on this....who the hell are playing all of those instruments? Would have been nice to know.

Absolutely LOVE Window #1......haven't given the rest of it enough of a listen......but so far, first impression...I like it!!!

Steve was VERY cool and autographed both of the ones I got, one for me and one for my roommate!!

Steve rocks! :!: :!: :!: :!:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

Steve plays all of them - betchya didn't know he was so good at guitar :-)
Misha

Post by Misha »

AB.....

Really?

(potentially gullible emoticon here) :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i had this on the player for most of the day saturday. VERY nice. lovely background music for conversation with a friend.

well worth the money.

(now if only i could have gotten it signed! *sigh*)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I finally got my copy of Windows . . . and Steve signed it for me! I dont recall if I actually asked him to or not, but very cool of him. He even spelled my name right and everything.

:P
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

How much an improvement is it over Windows XP?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Misha

Post by Misha »

Blue,

Absolutely no bugs at all in this edition.....I'm really hoping Bill doesn't get a dime for this version...
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I should order it then, I guess :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Steve has posted this on his forum -

( password is `password`)

http://pub8.bravenet.com/forum/676852346/fetch/251948/

Windows on Amazon
Name: webmaster nieve
Date Posted: Mar 14, 04 - 3:45 AM
Email: expediteur@aol.com
Message: The "windows" CD is now available via amazon.com on the following address

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music

If anyone who bought the CD and enjoyed it feels like taking the time to submit a 'customer review' of the record go to the above link and follow the instructions at the bottom of the page. I't would be very appreciated.. Thanks