Career Change? ***NOW WITH AUDIO***

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
taz
Site Admin

Career Change? ***NOW WITH AUDIO***

Post by taz »

Alright, I know this is probably better posted in Tin Pan Alley but...hey, I do what I want.... :wink:

So last night I went to an Open Mic night at a local comedy club and perform some of my material. This was a HUGE leap for me as I'm notoriously shy and lack a bit in the self-confidence department. Well, knees a-shaking, I got up there, did my five minutes and got some very good laughs.

Two more comedians went after me, 13 in total, and then the judges voted(based on material, stage presence, audience response) and lo and behold....I frigging won, I'm completely and utterly in shock.

Oh, and I did record it so hopefully will post the audio later today....just felt like sharing! 8)
Last edited by taz on Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Okay, so we have a funny man among us. Our fearless leader is the next Richard Pryor.

I have got to hear this one!!!!

I knew you were headed for the comedy field when you posted that joke thread in the pic thread about naked pictures of yourself. :lol:
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

You thought that was a joke? Usually don't hear that until after people see the pictures... :cry:
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

whoo hoo taz! way to go!
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

well thats exciting! i look forward to the audio.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Taz, dear, I assumed it was a joke on your part since you never actually posted naked pics of yourself.

If you're serious, cough 'em up (so to speak). 8)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Nice one Taz.
signed with love and vicious kisses
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Taz, that's fantastic!!! I'll bet you were a gas-- you've always been sharp and witty here.

Keep your courage and your momentum up!

XO

Mug
bobster

Post by bobster »

Great work, Taz --

I can't download a thing right now, but I do hope to hear you someday.

All stand-ups who eke out even half a laugh have my undying admiration....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Congratulations. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to stand alone in front of an audience that is fully charged and ready to be entertained with original humor. Timing is everything, and, evidently you had the material and the timing to pull it off.

I have a lot of respect for anyone who can do what you did.

Congratulations.

Pick the comedian whose style you emulate (the closest match):
Henny Youngman
Richard Pryor
Steven Wright
Richard Lewis
Carrot Top
Rodney Dangerfield
Jerry Seinfeld
Dennis Miller (Social Commentary)
Bill Cosby (this would be a shocking revelation)
Steve Martin (Lets Get Small phase)

I picked a variety to try to cover the sullen, the grief and guilt-ridden, the straight-forward, the one-liners, the 'close to the edge/over the edge', and the intellectual approaches. Just curious.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Well done Taz - that must take a lot of courage.

I look forward to hearing the audio. You'd better be funny!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Wow...well done Taz mate...you must have felt amazing that night!!!!!!!

Do you have loads of extra material stored up?
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

LC...yes on both counts. Actually with the five minute time limit I didn't even get to what most consider my two best 'bits'.

But anywhere, here it is for you all to listen to, click on the 'jason standup' after opening up the link below.

Warning - some of the material is vulgar so if you have a problem with swear words, etc you've been warned.

Also, it's not very clean, I know I need a LOT of practice but tell me what you all think...

http://www.tuxwarrior.org/jason/jason_standup_01.mp3
Last edited by taz on Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Mr. Average wrote: Pick the comedian whose style you emulate (the closest match):
Henny Youngman
Richard Pryor
Steven Wright
Richard Lewis
Carrot Top
Rodney Dangerfield
Jerry Seinfeld
Dennis Miller (Social Commentary)
Bill Cosby (this would be a shocking revelation)
Steve Martin (Lets Get Small phase)

I picked a variety to try to cover the sullen, the grief and guilt-ridden, the straight-forward, the one-liners, the 'close to the edge/over the edge', and the intellectual approaches. Just curious.
I guess on my voice I'd go with Steven Wright (but that might be nerves) but on humor a cross between seinfeld/lewis and carlin (for vulgarity). But have a listen and let me know which you think.

Oh...and thanks for putting Carrot Top on the list... :lol:
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

No, the thanks goes all to you for not choosing Carrot Top as your inspiration. I had other extremes on the list, and consider his name included merely for balance...not for credibility.

I'll take a listen now. Frankly, I love Wrights delivery style. I think the "I have a Pony" album is side-splitting.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
gadfly
Location: on your back in that spot you just can't quite reach, buzzing

Post by gadfly »

It was yer first time, so don't be too hard on yerself, no matter what.

I listened, and I'm going to be brutally honest. It got funny in the last minute or so. You took a long time to get warmed up which makes perfect sense. The jokes about being fat and tall are okay. The best one is the hovering ambulances with the "he'll come to us" bit. But the setup for that was too long. Get in, get out. The bit about the starbucks shooter as a setup is funny but too long. Cut about 10 to 15 seconds out of that and get right to the gay/lesbian bit. That was yer strongest material. And just keep working on new stuff and trying it out. Standup is hard, and when yer killing, there's no better feeling. Keep at it.
just like a million more all over the world
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Great job, Taz!
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Thanks for your input everyone...I'm planning on doing it again this wednesday night so any critique's are most welcome...
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Good stuff Taz...just remember us when you sell out and star in that 'whacky' Disney family movie! :lol:
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Perish the thought LC...couldn't keep the f-bombs out of my talk long enough for an AT&T commercial, much less a movie... :D
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

But what about your Site Administration career?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Misha

Post by Misha »

Taz...

1. Congratulations....took balls to do it!! I've considered doing it, but have only performed in my head to a crowd of one.

2. Finite resource!! Funny!!

3. Hovering ambulances, funny!!

4. Agree with Gadfly about the set up time.....don't make the audience feel bad for you...which I think we do temporarily during the fat set up....trim it and lighten it. We'll laugh more then.

5. Lesbians....glad you had some in the audience to play along!!

6.....do we get audio from last night to compare and contrast?!!!.???

7. Can't believe you did it...congrats!! Keep doing it.....probably like sex, if you take the notes you're given, you'll get better!!! Ignore everyone and you're still a bad lay.

:) Misha---who is a closeted comedian.....
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Thanks Misha...actually last night I didn't perform as the club I went to only selects a few out of the group and you kind of have to show up all the time for them to pick you eventually. Better luck next week I hope.

I agree on the lesbian part...I'm actually concerned it might not work if there aren't any in the audience, but if there are women at least they might identify with the fact that they really don't need us, we're more convenience then necessity.

Oh and also, unfortunately I think I'm still a bad lay... :)
Misha

Post by Misha »

Taz....

Bad lay?? Funny!!!

So, are we going to try to get on this week?

Is there another club you can try also?
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Unfortunately I don't think I'll have another one until two weeks from tonight...due to the relative 'hickness' of Atlanta there are only pretty much two clubs and the other one that does it weekly interferes with my actual paying job as far as schedule goes :roll: ...

Will definitely post more when I do my next one... :D