Glenn Tilbrook Tour Dates

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
verbal gymnastics

Glenn Tilbrook Tour Dates

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I know there are quite a few Glenn Tilbrook/Squeeze fans on the board.

There are some dates announced for 2004 at this link:-

http://www.glenntilbrook.com/shows.html
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Cool! King Tuts is a quality venue...Im there!
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

thanks VG....will take in the Wavendon show I think.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Trying to figure out how to get to England. . . . . . . . . :)
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Trying to figure out how to get to England. . . . . . . . . :)
when you come, you can also attend
http://www.elviscostsolo.com/
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Just had a look at the site, AB... very impressive. Can I be frank? The only small improvement i'd suggest is that those red shoes don't look right -- they look too tomato red and kind of 1983 (see Punch The Clock era pictures)...

I think EC has worn Doc Martens similar to these (perhaps not steel capped, but at least a size 11)...
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Did anyone see VH1 try to reunite Squeeze?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I agree about the shoes, Mr. Boo. Very 1983.

crash: There was a thread going a few weeks ago about that VH-1 special. We all thought it was a big letdown, but not really unexpected. It's too bad. They had some great music. But Doofster still thinks Tillbrook and Difford will eventually reunite.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

I have an old import cd of Difford and Tillbrook that I need to dig out. I cannot remember the name of it off the top of my head but it had songs on it like, Actions Speak Louder and Picking Up the Pieces.

Now I have to hear it so I will go look.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Ok I found it

No wonder I couldn't remember the name of it since it is simply titled, Difford and TIllbrook. Time for another Rum and an old cd.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I'd toast you rum and listen to Difford and Tillbrook if I were there, crash. Sounds like a fun evening. :)

Of course, right now I'm building race cars for cub scouts. :?
verbal gymnastics

Some other dates have been announced. The full list is:

March 2004
Fri 19 Momo's **NEW** Austin, TX (SXSW festival) On stage 10 - 11pm
Tues 23 Downtown Farmingdale, NY
Thur 26 The Hook Brooklyn, NY

April 2004
Thu 8 Riga Bar Southend **NEW** 07960 442331
Fri 9 Fareham Festival Fareham 01329 231942
Thur 15 The Brook Southampton *MOVED to 20/5*
Fri 16 Tivoli Theatre Wimbourne, Dorset 01202 885566
Sat 17 Phoenix Exeter 01392 667080
Sun 18 Fleece & Firkin Bristol 0117 9299008
Wed 21 The Stables Wavendon 01908 280800
Sun 25 Swan Theatre, Town Hall High Wycombe 01494 512000
Tue 27 Telford's Warehouse Chester 01244 390090
Wed 28 The Boardwalk Sheffield 0114 251 7000
Thurs 29 Life Cafe Manchester 0161 832 1111

May 2004
Sat 1 The Picturedrome Holmfirth 01484 222444
Sun 2 City & Varieties Leeds 0113 2430808
Tue 4 The Venue Edinburgh
Wed 5 Lemon Tree Aberdeen
Thu 6 Twa Tams Perth
Fri 7 King Tuts Wah Wah Hut Glasgow 0870 1690100
Sun 9 The Glee Club Birmingham 0870 2415093
Wed 12 The Glee Club Cardiff 0870 2415093
Thur 20 The Brook Southampton

June 2004
Sun 20 Lincoln Park Festival Chicago, IL

July 2004
Sat 24 The Customs House South Shields 0191 4541234
verbal gymnastics

Yet more dates!

August 04
Thur 26 Mr Kyps Poole
Sun 29 The Bandstand Southwark Park **NEW**

September '04
Thur 2 The Village Dublin 01 4758555
Fri 3 Regal Lodge Hotel Wexford 053 39395
Sat 4 The Forum Waterford 051 871133
Sun 5 The Vault Cork 021 431 6428
Mon 6 The Moving Stairs Boyle 071 966 3586
Tues 7 Roisin Dubh Galway 091 586540
Thur 9 McGrorys Culdaff 074 9379104
Fri 10 Spirit Store Dundalk 042 935 2697
Sat 11 Spirit Store Dundalk 042 935 2697
Sun 12 The Empire Music Hall Belfast 028 90 323744
Wed 22 Riga Music Bar South End
Sun 26 Mars Bar Worcester
Wed 29 Bein Inn Glenfarg
Thur 30 The Chartroom Inverkip, Renfrewshire

November '04
Mon 22 Robin 2 Bilston
Tues 23 Rescue Rooms Nottingham
Wed 24 Pacific Road Arts Centre Birkenhead
Thur 25 Pocklington Arts Centre
Fri 26 Y Theatre Leicester
Sat 27 Academy Manchester
Sun 28 Limelight Crewe

December '04
Thurs 2 Twa Tams Perth
Fri 3 Westport Bar Dundee
Sat 4 King's Tut's Glasgow
Sun 5 The Ceilidh Place Hotel Inverness
Wed 8 Ryde Theatre Isle of Wight
Fri 10 West End Centre Aldershot
Sun 12 Rock Cafe Stourbridge
Sat 18 Mick Jagger Centre Dartford
Mon 29 Masque Theatre Liverpool
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Hey cool..I can get to this one seeing as I missed the one at the top of the thread!
goodbyegirl

Post by goodbyegirl »

I read on Chris DIfford's website that a book will be out later this year. Apparently, it is about the music of Chris and Glenn. Very cool! Sure hope Glenn comes back to the states later this year.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/st ... yID=467943

Tilbrook squeezes in the hits, playing solo

By GREG HAYMES, Staff writer

First published: Tuesday, April 4, 2006

ALBANY -- Often, comparisons by the press place undue pressures on up-and-coming musicians. Check in with the current Next Big Thing -- the Arctic Monkeys -- in five years, and see how they're doing. And although it was applied to everyone from Bruce Springsteen to Steve Forbert, every singer-songwriter dreaded having the albatross of "the new Dylan" hung around his neck.

And certainly it's no easy feat to live up to the reputation as half of the songwriting team that was widely hailed as "the next Lennon and McCartney." Just ask Glenn Tilbrook, who dropped into the WAMC Performing Arts Studio on Sunday evening.

Tilbrook and Difford were the songwriting team at the helm of the British new-wave popsters Squeeze, who recorded a dozen albums between 1978-98. Of course, they never achieved the success of the Beatles (who did?), but their impressive catalog of songs held up very well indeed in the capable hands of Tilbrook on Sunday, who delivered two hugely entertaining hourlong sets.

Playing solo and accompanying himself on an acoustic 12-string guitar, Tilbrook offered proof positive that if a song is really good, it can be played in a variety of different formats. Sparkling Squeeze gems like the chugging "Another Nail in My Heart," the soulful "Tempted" and the wistful final encore of "Is That Love?" sounded so good that the nearly sold-out crowd didn't miss the support of a backing band.

And when Tilbrook needed some musical help, it seemed to magically appear. Opening act Mike Gent (of the Figgs) jumped up to sing and play on a spirited rendition of "Goodbye Girl" to kick off the second set, and the whole crowd was eager to chime in on "Black Coffee in Bed."

Naturally, the hits were the biggest crowd-pleasers, especially "Take Me, I'm Yours," a blusey reinvention of "Slap and Tickle" and the encore "Pulling Mussels (From the Shell)." But it was the exquisite first-set closer "Up the Junction" that was the highlight of the night. A taut narrative about working class love gone wrong, the song's dark lyrics sit uneasily atop a bouncy, hooked-filled melody -- one of Squeeze's trademark songwriting ploys. But "Up the Junction" breaks all the rules -- the song doesn't even have a chorus.

Tilbrook also served up a sizable handful of tunes from his recent solo albums, and tossed in a few choice cover songs, too, from Elvis Costello, Jimi Hendrix and Stealer's Wheel. It was obvious that he was having a grand time onstage, and so was the crowd. As one woman observed, "Now there's a guy who really loves his job."

Mike Gent opened the show with a short solo set on electric guitar, featuring "Mr. Rose" (a nifty tune that poked fun at Guns N' Roses' Axl Rose), TV theme songs, Figgs songs ("Look at Her, She's Walking Away") and covers from Buffalo Springfield, the Lovin' Spoonful and Utopia (accompanied on the latter by the Rudds' John Powhida). Gruff-voiced Long Island singer-songwriter Jim Bianco also played a short solo set highlighted by the contemporary backwoods go this blues, "Tennessee Wedding."

Greg Haymes can be reached 454-5742 or by e-mail at ghaymes@timesunion.com.

GLENN TILBROOK with Mike Gent and Jim Bianco

When: 7 p.m. Sunday

Where: The WAMC Performing Arts Studio, 339 Central Ave., Albany

Crowd: Only a dozen or so seats short of a sell-out
verbal gymnastics

He's in the US for a few more dates before playing a few more shows in England.

Wed 5 Paradise Lounge Boston MA
Thu 6 Sellersville Theatre Sellersville, PA
Fri 7 Vintage White Plains NY
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Fri 7 Vintage White Plains NY
Ah, scenic White Plains. May have to do that one - just a short train ride from here.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
goodbyegirl

Post by goodbyegirl »

I went to the show last night in New Haven. Never expected a sold out show but the venue was very small. The nice bouncer was able to get us in anyway, as there were a couple of no-shows. Great show as always. Very crowded but still had a great time. Unable to reach the bar to the crowd, which I guess is okay because getting to the bathroom was impossible..
verbal gymnastics

I looked around to find her but she'd gone...

goodbye girl - did he do any EC songs?

I'm going to try and get along to one of the London shows. I've never actually seen him with the Fluffers.
goodbyegirl

Post by goodbyegirl »

Sorry VG, I don't really post much but I'm always here! No EC songs were done at the show. It was a solo show. He did a mix of solo, Squeeze, and some other covers. I stood right in front as I always try my best to do. What an amazing guitar player he is. The crowd loved it as well. I have several pics of Glenn at previous shows and I was able to get a few at this show. Haven't developed them yet but if possible, I'll post them if I can get someone to help me. Funny thing happened, as I always imagined how great it would be to hear Glenn sing the song "Band of Gold" That was one of the cover songs he did!! Like he read my mind or something.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The print edition of this has a photo of Chris 'n Glenn in bathrobes , sitting side by side in a double bed; I'll scan 'n post it later.

shttp://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/features/article2295050.ece

Squeeze: Life after the band

Squeeze's core duo are closer now than when their band existed. David Sinclair meets Glenn Tilbrook and Chris Difford

Published: 23 February 2007

Crowded House, the Police, Genesis, James, Roxy Music... are there any bands who are not getting back together for a reunion tour this year? Squeeze certainly have the right sort of profile.

"We were offered a show in San Francisco last year," says Chris Difford, whose songwriting partnership with Glenn Tilbrook was at the heart of the group's long-running, on-off career. "It was more money for one show than Glenn and I could probably make now in two years. But we didn't do it. I think you have to be comfortable with nostalgia and I don't think together, we are. I don't know what it would be like to get back together again. It would be very odd, I think."

However Difford, 52, and Tilbrook, 49, are back together, if only in the same London hotel, for a day of promotion to talk up a new greatest hits compilation, Essential Squeeze, to be released in April. It is only a year since the last compilation, The Squeeze Story, and five years since the one before that, Big Squeeze - The Very Best of Squeeze. Already, complaints have been voiced on fan websites about "greatest hits overload".

"This one is for the dormant fans, the ones that have forgotten Squeeze or don't buy records particularly," Difford explains. "It's going to have a TV campaign and then they're going to re-release the whole back catalogue, all 13 albums. They will all be repackaged. There will be a live album attached to it, some demos, all that kind of thing. I think it's the final flogging of the horse."

Neither Difford nor Tilbrook seems especially thrilled to be going back over the Squeeze story again. "I love Squeeze and I would much rather they got us on board to take an interest and help shape things, rather than leave them to make the kind of dartboard selection of songs that you sometimes get," Tilbrook says of the album. "But it doesn't feel like it's much to do with me."

One thing which rankles is the fact that their magnificent body of work, which includes such evergreen hits as "Cool For Cats", "Pulling Mussels (From The Shell)", "Tempted" and "Is That Love", does not belong to them. All the songs were written by Difford, who supplied the lyrics, and Tilbrook, who generally wrote the music. And all these songs were performed by them together with a highly distinguished supporting cast including Jools Holland, Gilson Lavis and Paul Carrack. But, thanks to an unfortunate deal struck by their first manager, Miles Copeland, the rights reside elsewhere.

"He signed our publishing and management and he was our record company, which is something you can't do any more," Difford says. "In those days for £15 a week we would have signed anything to be in a band. But it means that the rights to those songs and the publishing will never revert to Glenn and me."

Copeland did, however, help Squeeze to get established not only in Britain, during the mid-1970s, when they slipped through the doorway of opportunity that had been opened by the upheaval of punk, but also in America, where he helped them to lay the foundations for a period of sustained success that they enjoyed throughout the 1980s. "Hourglass", their biggest American hit, won an MTV award in 1988, and they played multiple shows at Madison Square Garden. Rolling Stone declared Difford and Tilbrook to be the new Lennon and McCartney. But they never reached the multi-million-selling stratosphere inhabited by contemporaries such as the Police or Dire Straits.

"It wasn't for the want of trying," Difford says. "It would have been lovely. But it didn't happen. Dire Straits supported us at The Albany in Deptford. And within a year they were the biggest-selling band ever, or something. The Jam supported us, and XTC. It seemed as if a support slot with us was the winning ticket."

The upshot is that, despite an internationally successful career in Squeeze spanning 25 years, Difford and Tilbrook both emerged from the end of the group - and of their songwriting partnership - without the sort of financial cushion that meant they would never have to work again. In Difford's case the need to keep working was particularly acute, since exposure to the rock'n'roll lifestyle had turned him into a chronic spendthrift.

"There have been times when I've had a fair income, and I've been a bad boy and gone off and bought things that I shouldn't have bought," he says. "I grew up in a bungalow in Greenwich, became a pop star, got a bit of money, bought a big house in the country and then lost the lot. It was like David Essex in Stardust. I had delusions of grandeur. It got to the point where the family couldn't afford any groceries and I was out there swanning around in my Maserati. But that's all part of the life that I've moved on from, hopefully. Now, whenever I walk anywhere near Bond Street or Regent Street I start to feel physically sick. I just can't go down there."

It would be hard to think of a character less given to delusions of grandeur than Tilbrook, who now lives in Charlton, south-east London ("one mile from where I always have"). The reduced circumstances of the post-Squeeze era have posed few problems for him. "I'm entirely self-supporting," he says, "But I don't have a luxury lifestyle. One of my proudest moments was when The Sunday Times came round to do a feature about "my fabulous house", and they decided my house simply wasn't fabulous enough."

Neither Difford nor Tilbrook has enjoyed success on the scale of their former bandmate Jools Holland, nor made anything approaching the vast sums of money that the piano-man trousers on a regular basis. "He's built a little empire down in Greenwich," Difford says. "He's got a recording studio there and owns about half a dozen flats, a couple of restaurants and a garage. He's got a castle down in Kent and he lives next to Buckingham Palace in London."

Both Difford and Tilbrook have struggled to find their feet in the aftermath of their time together. Of the two, Difford appears to have fallen harder and further. Squeeze split up for the final time in 1999. Difford missed most of the American tour of their last album, Domino, having checked himself into a rehab clinic, for what he calls "emotional reasons". "It was to do with my spending and to do with relationships," he says. "It all hit me at once. And my biggest relationship problem was to do with Glenn. We'd been together at that point for about 24 years, and it was like a marriage. I needed to rest from it and try to understand it. There is something about being in a band that is an extension of being at school. You have this gang mentality, so you extend your teenage years well into your twenties and thirties, and you never really become a man, like the man in the street. I had to wait until I was 40 years old before I realised that becoming a man was part of life's rich pageant and I needed to face up to it."

Tilbrook, meanwhile, was asking some hard questions of his own, such as why he found it so difficult, as the main singer, to take on the role of frontman on stage. "I was never reluctant to be the front man. But we tended to cancel each other out on stage. He didn't much like the way I was and I didn't much like the way he was. I used to think of him as coming across like some sort of Blue Peter presenter. And he used to think of me as an idiot. I think we both felt inhibited. Of the two of us I'm much more naturally at home on stage. But why did I feel so much more comfortable when he wasn't on stage with me?

"The majority of the time we were working together, over a period of about 27 years, we weren't really friends. It was very good when we first met and it's very good again now. But although there was the utmost professional respect, we weren't friends. I tried. But Chris always played his cards quite close to his chest."

Immediately after the break-up of Squeeze, Difford went into management. He managed Marti Pellow for four years and then Bryan Ferry. "The success that Squeeze had lost I managed to regain by working with people that were successful. So I was still clinging on," he says. Difford's first solo album - I Didn't Get Where I Am - a collection of typically wry songs, about the mysteries of childhood and the even greater mysteries of being a parent, written in collaboration with Francis Dunnery (formerly of It Bites), was released in 2002.

"About a year ago, I said I would give myself 18 months as a solo artist to see if I like it. I've been enjoying the gigs. I'm much more confident than I used to be. But financially it's a struggle. I keep getting offers to tour in America, but I just can't be arsed. When you're losing money and you're playing to half-full houses... Coming away from a gig after I've paid everyone off, I'm thinking, 'I enjoyed it. But is it paying to keep the kids at school?' Well, no, it isn't. As a writer I could be doing other things."

In contrast, Tilbrook leapt in with both feet. After releasing his first album, The Incomplete Glenn Tilbrook, in 2001, he hit the road. Performing initially as a one-man acoustic show, then later with his backing trio the Fluffers, he drove himself across America in a motorhome, delighting audiences with shows that incorporated his new songs, old Squeeze favourites, requests from the floor, lots of humorous banter and the odd parking-lot singalong. Similar tours of Europe and Australasia followed.

"I took the view that the only way to make an impression - without a big record company machine behind me - was to go out and perform. I decided that I would go everywhere I could, three times. Then I would make a decision about whether it was working or not. I've done that now. And it's worked. Which is really good to know. It's built for me. I'm not selling out stadiums, but I can tour clubs, I can make albums, I can make a living and I'm happy to be free from all the commercial pressures of being on a big label."

Tilbrook's second album, Transatlantic Ping Pong, released in 2004, included the first new song to bear the Difford/Tilbrook writing credit since the 1990s - a track called "Where I Can Be Your Friend".

"I asked him to send me some lyrics for a song and he e-mailed me some stuff, and that was one of them," Tilbrook says. "It was really nice to be asked," Difford says. "The song was about friends and friendship. I can't remember the title."

'Essential Squeeze' is released by Universal on 30 April
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Difford's playing a gig in my town next Saturday and I'm going to try to get over there if I can.

Good to hear that the albums will be given the proper treatment. There are quite a few I never owned and others I've only ever had on vinyl.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

That photo ( it was across two pages , hence the line 'n staple marks )

Photo- Toby Madden
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

I would love to see them back together.
Saw Glenn last month in North Carolina and it was fabulous! He is an awesome guy. I'm going to see Chris this coming Tuesday at the same venue.