is the universe a friendly place?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.

it can be
91%
life is solitary, nasty, brutish and short
9%

Total votes: 22

miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Yesterday, while walking to work, I started thinking about summer, and how nice summer's going to be, and how I'd walk to work in sandals, and how you need to carry around Band-Aids when you've got on a new pair of sandals...

...and do you know what happened then? I passed a bank, and some guys were standing outside, passing out Band-Aids in little case with the bank's logo on it. It was like a sign saying, "Don't despair! Summer is almost here!"

Of course, I don't believe in signs, or any of that hooey, but it was a lovely start to my day.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Yes, but I think that I have been luckier than most.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I have this theory that 99% of the world is horrible, cruel, tastless, senseless, etc.

But that 1%. Man, does it make things sweet and so very worth it.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

I voted for "nasty", but that's because so much absolute shite has happened to me over the past 6 months, I just happen to be in a shitty state of mind.

Except you all, of course, the "ray of sunshine" in my normally gloomy existence (hence the handle of "sulkygirl"...)
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

After this week Im tempted to choose the second one . . . but there's good there too, always, so I cant.

Besides the first choice is nice and non-committal, while the second is very definite. It can be a nice, friendly place. It isnt always, but Im not feeling entirely hopeless, yet . . .
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Blue is right, and that's why he's the moderator.

Don't let it bring you down
It's only castles burning
Find someone who's turning
and You will come around.

Blue is the best.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Thanks, LTZ....

But I'm only a reflection of the good karma that surrounds me.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I think that 99% of the worlds populace is intrinsically good. I think a large portion of the worlds LEADERS are greedy, evil, corrupt, and selfish. Inasmuch as these leaders provide the path and direction for their followers, good people go bad.

What is particularly reprehensible to me is the leaders who knowingly depress their following for their own personal gain. It will take any reader less than a millisecond to think of an example. You can fill in your own blanks.

The great majority of Gods creatures are followers...humans on down through the life chain to single celled organisms like the paramecium. They want to follow. They are hungry for leaders. They want to believe that their leaders are intrinsically good.

Bad leaders cultivate their corrupt followings. And build corrupt groups, countries, cultures, etc.

Quick, all together now...name three really strong and committed leaders that have served humanity during your lifetime.

As David Byrne says:

"I'm still waiting....
I'm still waiting...."
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Nelson Mandela
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Does him being a 'freedom fighter/terrorist' cancel him out though?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I guess you have a point.

Even Honest Abe wasn't as honest as we'd like to think of him today.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

The universe is mostly dumb though it can be friendly or cruel... much like most people really.

I don't know if anybody said it first, but once you feel that life completely sucks then you can really start to see the beauty in it... finding beauty in the mundane and all that.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I feel more and more misanthropic every day.

I have little faith in a legal system that lets paedophiles out on the streets after a few years in some cushy jail where they can enjoy creature comforts, instead of just simply destroying these useless people like stray dogs. I saw a report the other day, an elderly lady was badly beaten up and mugged for the contents of her purse...less than 5 pounds. I'm sick of hearing liberal hearts bleed for this kind of useless criminal. Human life has no value if you choose to ruin someone elses.
I see people exploiting laws that are there to protect innocent victims, like the woman who wants to sue Janet Jackson for damages incurred, because she showed her breast on television for a second.

I agree with Blue though, what beauty there is, is so beautiful that you can let it consume you, and in a way it will protect you from everything else.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Pretty damn fine for me. I am a blessed man.

...although bit would be very selfish to forget that it can be as ugly as it gets for many. I have just been reading an article on Fred and Rose West in The Observer today. if you need reminding just how evil people can be, read it.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I really meant: "if you realize..." more so than "once you feel...", because you can also work out the idea in theory first (that once one thinks it might suck, that you can find beauty within that).

The universe seems to conspire to make individuality taboo, but it doesn't really mean to.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

I'm a natural born pessimist.

I see it this way:

If you're always prepared for the worst, then you're rarely disappointed, and, often, pleasantly surprised!

Count me in the minority here.
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."