STICK A FORK IN ME!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Noise,

I scanned your last post with a thermoluminescent decible-level reader (employs radio-isotopically charged zirconium and a golden drop of Retsyn), and based on the readings the loudness coefficient of your message was well within published standards and guidelines for digital posts to a small to medium sized forum ["Digital Institute of Controlled Keyboard Hitting: Energy/Auditory Department, or "DICKHEAD"].

Lemon-Pie "What happened to my Toyota?
Butch "I'm sorry baby but I had to crash that Toyota"

Lemon-Pie "Whose Motorcycle is this?"
Butch "It's not a Motorcycle, baby, it's a chopper"
Lemon-Pie "Whose Chopper is eeet?"
Butch "Zed's"
Lemon-Pie "Whose Zed?"
Butch "Zed's Dead, baby...Zed's Dead"
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I can't help wondering if some of the people on this board are sitting at home somewhere trying to see just what it takes to rile people up. As if they laugh every time some new sucker is pulled into their arguments. I'm not sure either of them get nearly as invested in their comments as some of the others do, regardless of how upset they may seem to be from time to time. I guess I'm under the impression it's all one big game to them.

So...Why do we let them piss us off so much? Why not just give them a few threads to have for themselves, so they can argue all they want and play their little games without it bothering all of us so much? Obviously this sort of posting does something for them, as they keep coming back for more. Never checking their comments is probably a bit idealistic, especially considering they are prone to periodically attack an otherwise serene thread with some sort of nasty comment, but why not just laugh it off? "Silly boy....gets upset over everything....haha" Perhaps this seems like patronizing, and perhaps that's what it is....but I'm sure most of us have had friends/associates who make really horrible comments from time to time, and after awhile it just becomes useless to argue back. In this case you usually stop being their friends if that is an option - but in work settings you can't just disassociate from them. There are a lot of situations in life where you are forced to be with really unpleasant people. And while you should always voice your opinion when you feel strongly about something, you also have to accept that you're likely never going to change them. Sadly enough it seem some of these people will never stop trying to start arguments on an Elvis Costello Fan Forum. Seems kinda silly to me.

Another good mantra: The only person you can control is yourself. Have opinions and voice them, but don’t necessarily expect any change to come of that. I know I certainly don't expect anything to change from this ridiculously long post I've just made.

Okay, resume your arguing now. :roll:
Pov

Post by Pov »

Wow, I just opened this thread for the first time and I see that I've received honorable mention on Rope's list. :shock: I don't know whether to be flattered or very, very afraid.

And by the way, other than material that is racist or sexist, I try not too take anything I see on internet message boards to seriously. Life is just too short.
Last edited by Pov on Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Mr. Average,

Thanks again for the support and a very humorous post. And your acronym is hi-freaking-larious. I don't know if I'd go so far as to call them dickheads, but it still made me laugh out loud. I'm just glad someone still gets where I'm coming from.

You're the best.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
A rope leash

Wave a white flag

Post by A rope leash »

Noise, I think Red Shoes is on to us...

This board is way overdue for a good roasting...

...and Pov: Dont' be afraid. Be very afraid.

Hey, some folks find the WWF to be entertianing. I've read other heated discussions on other boards, and they come no where near to the quality of our banter.

I think it hurts good.

Folks, don't stomp off all mad 'cause somebody said something. Stay, and say something yourself. You'll feel much better...
selfmademug

Re: Party!

Post by selfmademug »

A rope leash wrote: What I think we are failing to see is that a person can write a story about a murder without murdering. That means I can say that the WTC buildings were demo-ed, but that doesn't really mean that I actually think it's true. It just means I wrote it. That's why these discussions should never be taken to a personal level.
No, it's why nothing you write should be taken vaguely seriously. When you write in expository mode you are either stating what you think, or spouting nonsense. In your case it's the same thing.
All you lemmings can run off the edge if you want
Off I go.... weeeeee! Did you all know that if you do not agree with ARL you are a spineless, real-world-challenged rodent? It's true. Unless it's one of the things he wrote but didn't really think. Oy vey.

You are right, you have an ego of iron and steel. May it serve you well; it won't serve anyone else.

Ahh, you're right, I feel much better now. I'm done here (this thread), but you can keep the fork.
A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

Gee, Selfmade, you really don't like me, do you?

I think you are taking this way too seriously. Or maybe that's just what you wrote. Either way, who cares?

Since you are such a well-respected board queen, perhaps you should petition the board members to see if an all-out assault on a rope leash could be arranged. I would welcome that.

The fact is, most of you who have disagreed with me have not really come up with any testable arguments, you have just expressed your disgust. Well, sorry. I happen to think what I think, and if you happen to disagree, I happen to think you need to explain why and do what you can to prove me wrong. It rarely happens, probably because you know a rope leash will kick your intellectual ass.

It's not nonsense. Saying that lemmings don't have spines and don't live in the real world is nonsense. Of course, you meant that as a figurative gouge to make it seem like I'm "evil", right?

Further, you are incorrect in the limits you are placing on "expository mode" writing. The fact is, I have really said nothing offensive. I've said the official story regarding 911 and Iraq, et al, is bogus, and I've presented some alternate scenarios. I've said God and religion are bogus, and presented some alternatives to the "truth" as is presented by the mainstream society. I have also said that I am right, and that I'm always right. That's because I have yet to be "proven" wrong. Can you prove the existence of God? Can you prove that the WTC was not demo-ed? I know you tried, but I'm not yet convinced, so I must be right, eh?

I'll tell you what. A rope leash is nothing but a personna. That's why I don't take it personally when a rope leash is criticized. The fact is that this board would be damn boring without a rope leash. Boring, at least, to a rope leash. I never attack others on the board personally, like SelfMade Mug has just done to a rope leash. I only attack groups of people in general, like Republicans and Christians. I know that on the individual level, I can love anybody. Even Noise.

I'm not much into herd mentality. I'm a lone animal. Most folks go along with the crowd, but I never have. Take offense if you like, but I prefer to be challenged. Red Shoes is right. The words I write are intended to stir up shit. I get a charge out of it.

So, Hotshot, why don't you see if you can get me voted off the island? You do watch that show, don't you? Earth knows I've asked Taz time and again to ban me. It's up to you, now, SelfMade. Why don't you use your enormous influence with the board members to have my "nonsensical" statements banished forever from your gracious company?

World, can you see what is happening to America? Pov is right, time is short.

I don't think I'm saying anything that Elvis would not approve of. In the end, though, only Taz has the power to shoot the dog.

Right behind the ear, Taz. Everyone will feel much better, and I won't feel a thing.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

A rope leash wrote:I'm not much into herd mentality. I'm a lone animal. Most folks go along with the crowd, but I never have. Take offense if you like, but I prefer to be challenged. Red Shoes is right. The words I write are intended to stir up shit. I get a charge out of it.
ARL, while you do possess the gift of a great turn of phrase and make for a very entertaining read, I must take issue with you on the not being into the herd mentality. The fact that many of the issues you raise are accompanied by links to online forums, alternative news sites etc would tend to indicate that you do indeed run with a herd; it just happens to be a different herd.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Rope,

The main problem with your argument is this:

Lemmings don't really jump off cliffs in big groups. That there's a myth. Go to http://www.snopes.com and do a search on "lemmings." They'll explain how Walt Disney cemented that myth in the American mind.

You're going to have to come up with some other small furry mammal that commits mass suicide if you want to make your argument stick.

And I love you, too, man. Even though you're full of it.

(Note to the people who think I'm arguing: The preceeding was not a real insult. It was a tongue-in-cheek statement, a playful ribbing. I don't really think Rope is full of it. Well, I do, but I wouldn't say it here. It might be taken as an attack).
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
A rope leash

Touche

Post by A rope leash »

Excellent observation, Time. Perhaps "rogue" would be a better description...I don't automatically go along with every wild-ass idea I run into, just the ones that seem to make sense to me personally. Hell, I can show you sites on the web that would make you cringe with incredulous dismay.

Noise also speaks truth. Of course I'm full of shit. So was Walt Disney.

I knew the truth about lemmings, but I knew I could use the analogy because most people think they can be suicidal. It goes to show how a lie can be accepted as truth if it is repeated as truth in a professional fashion.

Honestly, though, I love you guys...
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Yaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnn....thanks for putting me to sleep guys. I'll be able to focus on actual issues tomorrow.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Yawning is so pretentious. :wink:
--William Shakespeare
A rope leash

Whatever turns your turbines...

Post by A rope leash »

Pophead, I'm curious. Which threads do you find exciting? And which actual issues will you be addressing in the morning?

By the way, if you need an extra opinion, I've got some I'm not using much anymore...
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

RL, believe it or not none, of that was meant personally. All I'm saying is:

- you constantly undercut your own credibility so why bother listening when you write in this way (I thoroughly enjoy your posts in other threads)

and two:

- you do this because, by your own admission, this is the most engaging group of folks you've found on the internet to bait.

It's the latter that has made me decide to say all this here, because it makes me angry. I love this place and the people here. Since you clearly want to argue, here I am, because truly I am offended by the way you treat other people. You are a bully.

Adult bullying takes very different forms from the childhood kind. One of the classic adult bullying stances sounds like this: What you believe is bullshit, and if you don't drop everything and prove to ME right here and now that you are right, then you are admitting defeat. No one here is any less or more full of beliefs than you, and if they do not want to rise to your bait (your avatar is becoming more and more meaningful to me, a coincidence, sorry, but I can't help it) you should have the decency to maintain respect for them and the things they hold dear.

For the record, I hate Bush, I think he's a deceiving destructive selfish dickhead. But because my hopes or solutions may differ from yours does not mean I have a 'crowd mentality'.

Also for the record, I am an atheist, and nothing pisses me off more than the lack of separation of church and state. However, I do not disdain all people who Believe, because it's an entirely valid worldview that brings huge amounts of good into this world (and yes, a LOT of evil, I'd be the first to agree) and it's entirely possible that they are right and I am the one is delusional. There are strands of religious thought that I abhor; I suspect most every believer would say the same.

No one wants to euthanize you-- has any of us asked? I just got sick of the way you treated people here. I'm not talking about Noise or Candy or the folks who engage with you here. I'm talking about others on the board whose beliefs you trample and insult. THAT is the difference between an Elvis board and a politcal board. If people are not here for politics then you should not put their political beliefs first, or call them to the carpet in a bullying way. You can do that on your other boards. Please don't do it here. Notice that is not a request to leave,
A rope leash

Butcher, baker, candlestickmaker

Post by A rope leash »

Bigot, bully, hypocrite. See how I'm learning about myself?

Thanks, Self-M!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

A man sat alone on a hilltop, silently studying the behaviour of the lemming, when he felt a tap on his leg.
Looking down, he was afronted by a small lemming, that spoke out loud 'Who are you, and why are you here?''
The man replied, 'Well who are you? I am a scientist, studying your kind. as man has always wished to know why you throw yourselves off of cliffs?''
The beast replied 'Why I am lemming, and that is strange...we have always wanted to know why you DON'T throw yourselves off cliffs!

Do what thou wilt!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

this is the reincarnation of the Meta-Post.

Mahatma Ghandi walked everywhere, to the point that the soles of his feet became quite thick and hard. He also was a very spiritual person. Even when he was not on a hunger strike, he did not eat much and became quite thin and frail. Furthermore, due to his diet, he wound up with very bad breath. Therefore, he came to be known as a.........
.... Super callused fragile mystic plagued with halitosis.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Ha! I love it. Thanks for the levity. 8)
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I have a comment! (which I'm sure you're all glad for)...Rope can say what he wants....he's one of the most entertaining posters here, whether it's bullshit or not....good reading

I think it is riduculous when the "nice" people get all bent out of shape and attack savagely in the name of purity or morality!!!!!

It's always easy to take pot shots at the person who tells it like it is and puts his or her balls on the line and tells their own personal truth.

Why do people need to control others!!!!!!!!!!????????????
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

It's not about control. Rope is an entertaining poster, and of course he has the right to say what he likes. The point is that some rhetorical tactics are counterproductive, and I thought he needed to know it. He pissed me off, and I told him about it. End of story.

Advice is not the same thing as censorship. You've made that mistake before, Copefan, and I would think you'd have learned from it.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
A rope leash

Animal control

Post by A rope leash »

Counterproductive in the sense that we don't want liberals labeled as looneys, lest the Democrats lose yet again. Well, I certainly want to see the Repubs out, but with Kerry in there will still be continuous war.

Does anyone know anybody who's crazy about Kerry? I don't. It's just that everyone collectively realized who our corporate masters would accept, and so he became the front-runner after word leaked out that Dean was "unelectable". Dean displayed a little bit of enthusiastic fervor, and was immediately labled as a "nut". All the good little boys and girls fell for it because the media hyped it way out of porportion, and we all know that if it isn't true, television will make it so.

We may get a new president, but we will still have war. Forever. Until the terrorists are stamped out, and everyone is safe. I'm sorry for you if that sounds okay.

Thanks for the backup, Cope, but this board is more about movies and CD collections than anything else. Lately, I've been losing faith in Elvis himself, so may the Earth bless you all no matter what...