Ray Davies shot in New Orleans

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Jeez, at least he's okay. I was worried he was dead!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Thank god he survived.

Let this be a lesson to everyone. If your purse gets stolen (especially in New Orleans), do not chase the theif. Leave that to the police.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I don't know how anyone has the presence of mind to run after a mugger. I've been mugged twice, yes, twice, and both times, I just stood there, gaping, in shock, and literally could not move or even think until it was too late.

Good for him for wanting to defend his companion, but jeez, getting shot over it!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I don't really understand why people chase thieves. He's really lucky he was only shot on the leg. I mean yeah, it's admirable to try to be the hero, but I'm sure the woman he was with would rather have her purse stolen than have to watch him die.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

ooer I heard he was shot in the leg :lol: .
signed with love and vicious kisses
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

there was a prison crew painting a building near where i worked once and a guy i worked with and i happened to be standing nearby when one of the prisoners bolted out across a field in front of us. well there was a large, old guard awatchin' them paint and he ran about 8 steps before he stopped and got on his radio. so the little guy i'm standing with takes off after the convict with one hand on a beeper and the other on the pens in his pocket, and he is hollaring "c'mon c'mon" at me. i can still see his little heels waving at me and i got my hands in my pockets and i'm thinkin' "what are you gonna do with him if you catch him?". the police station was up the street and the hammerhead was running straight for it. sure enough they all convirged there with my buddy trailing behind and the episode last about a minute. i'm laughing and he is calling me a sissy, but of course the paper got wind of it and put him in there like he was a hero. now if ray was chasing me with that craggy old face i'd be scared. he scared me when i was a kid.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

After a few hurricanes on Bourbon Street Ray was probably feeling a little :

Superman superman wish I could fly like superman
Superman superman I want to be like superman
I want to be like superman
Superman superman wish I could fly like superman
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

It's good in a way for Davies -- it sends the message that he's not to be mucked with.

He might get a knighthood now. http://www.undercover.com.au/news/2004/ ... apton.html

"Guitar legend Eric Clapton and Kinks founder and frontman Ray Davies have been named in Queen Elizabeth II's New Years honors list.

Both musicians will receive the Commander of the British Empire award (CBE). The CBE is considered to be one level below knighthood.

Just last month, Mick Jagger was knighted in a ceremony at Buckingham Palace making him officially Sir Michael Phillip Jagger. Other musical knights include Sir Paul McCartney, Sir Cliff Richard and Sir Elton John...."

Hadn't heard about Sir Mick Jagger.
bobster

Post by bobster »

The news spread at the office where I'm once again working....

"Ray Davies was shot."

"Who?" someone said.

"From the Kinks"

I was talking with the boss in the next room. "Oh my God," I said. "That's terrible. Ray Davies was shot"

"But he was just shot in the leg. He was chasing a mugger in New Orleans."

"Oh."

My boss finely starts to catch up on the exchange. "Gray Davis was shot! Oh my God!"

Yes, this is how rumors get started.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

bambooneedle wrote:Hadn't heard about Sir Mick Jagger.
It was pretty big in the news.. apparently Keith is pissed :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

This always happens. As soon as I really get into a band, someone gets hurt. If you'll remember, I made my big Clash discovery last year...Joe Strummer died. I've bought three Kinks records in the last month and played them over and over again. Ray Davies gets shot.

Looks like I need to start listening to Yoko Ono.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

noiseradio wrote:This always happens. As soon as I really get into a band, someone gets hurt. If you'll remember, I made my big Clash discovery last year...Joe Strummer died. I've bought three Kinks records in the last month and played them over and over again. Ray Davies gets shot.

Looks like I need to start listening to Yoko Ono.
I don't suppose you could get into Phil Collins, all the Pop Idol people who have released singles and Victoria Beckham could you?

And promise me you'll NEVER really get into Elvis Costello! :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

You should purchase some Chris Isaak records.

Why was Keith pissed, cos he didn't get one? He and Mick have always had an aristocratic air about them... Mick is especially refined, have you seen the doco Being Mick? It's about the making of his last solo album. My favourite parts were him singing and spastic dancin' in the silent recording booth with headphones so you couldn't hear the music he was singing to. "T'sall par o' the e-mo-tion". He's seen hobnobbin' with Elton, and in an unbelievable-how-formal-they-still-are meeting with Prince Charles, ahhh the rarified existence of a star. And Bono looked so emotional for his guest vocal appearance... looked like he had no idea that the cameras would be there, didn't have his usual face.

Hope Ray Davies is alright.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Keith called the knighthood a "paltry honour" and said that it goes against everything The Stones are supposed to be about.

"I went fucking berserk when I heard," Richards raged.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Hey Blue, no need to say 'especially in New Orleans' in relation to the idea that you shouldn't chase a mugger. You shouldn't do it anywhere period.

Ray has been a local fixture for most of the last year or two here in town. I have seen him out on many occassions and have had the good fortune of having him in the crowd when my band played (we even pulled a decent, if nervous, version of I'm Not Like Everybody Else' out for him, to which he enthusiastically applauded). Ray told local reporters he had no hard feelings for New Orleans, just for the bugger who shot him. Thank God it was pretty mild- the world is not yet ready to lose this gargantuan talent.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Did anyone see the tabloid headline in of one of the papers here...

YOU REALLY SHOT ME!!!

:lol: Pure genius
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

BlueChair wrote:Keith called the knighthood a "paltry honour"
I suspected so... was just kidding. Ever since they made Steel Wheels, after they'd broken up when Mick said "Oi ahnn gahnn on the fahhkin raaawd!", Keith's been on a mission with the band. But everyone knows a knighthood is pretty meaningless.
verbal gymnastics

bambooneedle wrote:But everyone knows a knighthood is pretty meaningless.
You were missed off the Honours List too then Bamboo? :)

I thought my £multi-million donation to the Labour Party would have got me something. After all, it worked for Andrew Lloyd Webber and the Tories didn't it?

Perhaps the Labour Party has more credibility than that...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

pophead2k wrote:Hey Blue, no need to say 'especially in New Orleans' in relation to the idea that you shouldn't chase a mugger. You shouldn't do it anywhere period.
Agreed, and I apologize for singling out your hometown. But isn't New Orleans kind of notorious for its crime rate?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yeah, I heard those Barbershop Quartets can be ruthless!
verbal gymnastics

Those red and white stripy blazers and straw hats spell trouble!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

better move to shreveport pophead. good to see you back, by the way.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'll take my chances in New Orleans before I'd move to Shreveport Oily! In all fairness Blue, New Orleans IS known for its crime rate. When I moved here in 94, the city experienced over 400 murders. In the past ten years, the number has dropped to less than half that, and this year it has risen slightly again. Having said that, the vast majority of crimes happen in impoverished areas of the city and most have to do with drug use/drug deals. It is highly unusual for someone to be injured in the area of town that Ray Davies was, especially that early in the evening. For the average person in the city who is steering clear of high crime areas and not engaging in a drug deal, the city is safe. There are very few incidents of tourists being killed, although there were two cases this year I can recall. Orleans Parish is very poor and crime rates are directly linked to the state of the economy. During the later 90s, crime dropped all over the US, in the current climate, crime has risen again. If you haven't been to New Orleans, don't be scared. It is the most unique city in the United States and we'd love to show you around.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

And for you wiseacres and your Barbershop Quarter jokes, I think you have New Orleans confused with someplace else? I've never heard a Barbershop Quartet here. Now if you've got something against clarinets.....steer clear. :)