YOU ARE A SLAVE

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
A rope leash

YOU ARE A SLAVE

Post by A rope leash »

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/yearoftheslave.html

A rope leash is down and disgusted, depressed and degraded, shopworn and surly. It's been a nasty year, I'm sure you know.

http://www.workingforchange.com/article ... emID=16212

I hope you're having fun tonight. I'm not.

I'm completely mental and I know it. Life just seems like one big hole.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_b ... ory=477108

Should I just give up now or wait for the collapse? Is it possible to catch a comet?

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20 ... rdust.html

Should you bring it down to Earth?

A rope leash has just returned from Nashville, Huntsville, Knoxville, and places like that. They laid everybody off, and now I do their jobs, too. Sorry I didn't stop to say "HI!"

I listen to a lot of radio, and spend way too much time webbing. Rupert's aquisition of Hughes effects me directly. Care to guess how?

http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/chuckwagon.html

A rope leash wants to vanish. The human race is just so full of shit.

In the new year, a rope leash resolves to banish himself from the media, and to concentrate on his own art. Unhappiness comes from the world being too much with us.

Do me a favor, and work for good. Don't let Toby Keith take over. Fascism requires an enemy. Don't let them make an enemy of you. You have a right to exist. Your mind is as valid as anyone else's. Don't let them shut you down.

http://www.mediachannel.org/views/disse ... t125.shtml

You can't be happy while someone else has a pistol...

-Graham Parker, Success
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Rope, old buddy, old pal...

I don't know what you're doing tonight...I'm at home imbibing substances both legal an not. Sorry you're feeling so down, your links explain a lot of it, but I'm easily confused.

My opinion?? 2003 was SHIT. Let it be done. 2004 can't possibly be any worse (but, then, I've been wrong before).

Try to have a happier New Year.
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
A rope leash

Mr. Psycho

Post by A rope leash »

No, Sulky, that's me completely straight after a two-thousand mile week.

Many years of drinking Grandma's well water might have something to do with it, too.

Anyway, I'm rested now and feeling much better. In any case, I'm not this guy:

http://www.theonion.com/3951/news3.html

Happy New Year, boardsters...
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

That stuff about downshifting is about right, it's all due to the shift into tertiary industry and the high pricings of the LDCs here, them being so old and cramped and all...
another big thing for 2004 will be the EU's enforcement of the 48hr working week...a good idea in principle for people's health, and should reduce the number of stress and repetitive-action based illnesses...but it will really screw up the haulage industry. Most lorry drivers here earn really good money from doing 60-70 hour weeks, but the enforcement means they can't do the overtime. It's already having an effect in Ireland where the good lorry drivers quit to be replaced with cheap labourers from eastern Europe, who, to be frank, are shitty non-experienced drivers - hence more road accidents, and general ill-feeling.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

laughing crow wrote:That stuff about downshifting is about right, it's all due to the shift into tertiary industry and the high pricings of the LDCs here, them being so old and cramped and all...
LC, I'm a bit confused, what does all that mean?

Downshifting is good. Don't support what you don't believe in.

http://www.whywork.org/ definitely not an anti-work site btw.

http://dmoz.org/Society/Work/Rethinking_Work/
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Basically that more people in the UK are making more money nowadays because more of them work in offices. Shifting Britain's workforce to a smaller percentage of labourers...so people have more money to spend on stuff like housing. This combined with the old cities (designed by the Victorians) being very small, and thus having really high prices (try and find a city with a 2 bedroom flat that costs less than 100 grand) and the expansion of new estates into farmland...means more people move out to new houses on the edge of cities.
I've nothing against it really, I did it...but the post-WW2 shift away from secondary industry (like haulage, building, etc) means that people will immigrate in and work cheaply (which to them is good money), and their will be less control over the industries.

thats what i think anyway...
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Thanks for clarifying. Sydney's got quite an urban sprawl happening as well, and also has lots of expensive and uncomfortable Victorian style terrace houses in the older inner city areas. It might be a cultural thing that we like working outdoors, but it's probably far more unlikely that we'd run out of local workers for those types of industries.

One trend that's happening though is the dumbing down of trade training -- equipping people with just the barest level of skills to function in their respective industries, which boosts the number of people in them. Part of this has to do with new technology, less skill intensive methods (eg. in construction) -- new labour saving designs, and so on.

There's been a lot of 'cowboys' (insufficiently trained "tradespeople") in the building industry for ages, and not much done about it (because the industry needs them, because there's so many of them!), but few of them are new migrants or even migrants. Labour isn't cheap either.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

a rope leash wrote:
A rope leash has just returned from Nashville, Huntsville, Knoxville, and places like that.

and you didn't stop to say HI???? Piss on you. that's the third major snub I've endured this holiday season. ho. ho. ho.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
A rope leash

Dumb cowboys

Post by A rope leash »

Hey, Bamboo, I know just what you are talking about.

In my business, I am responsible for quality assurance in the field. We have tons of documentation on how to install satellite earth stations, and it's getting easier every day. I even tour the country giving training seminars to people who are already in the field doing the jobs.

Still, it's hard to believe how shitty some of the work is. They're lazy, careless, or just plain stupid, I don't know exactly what it is. I'm not perfect, but come on...what ever happened to "real men"?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

:roll:
A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

Gee, that's ambiguous...

Do you deny George Carlin's assertion that America has become "pussified"?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

uh, yeah. or rather, uh, no. I dunno. I just meant 'curses! snubbed again! I can't even get arrested today.' sorry. no deep thoughts here.
A rope leash

Trust me

Post by A rope leash »

You are NOT invisible!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

but you didn't stop and say "hi".
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
A rope leash

Now I'm the invisible man

Post by A rope leash »

Because I want to be invisible!
bambooneedle

20 questions

Post by bambooneedle »

Ropus, got some cable questions. So do you lay cable up to and into people's homes, or by them, or what? And why do you have to travel so far, can't they get someone closer with your expertise? Can you hook up a tv to the cable lines after work and watch cable?

oily slick

Post by oily slick »

he can wire a launch sequence to your studefuckinbaker and send the sonofabitch to uranus by control goddamn remote. if he tells you any more, he'll have to kill you.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

bla bla bla
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

alb alb alb
bambooneedle

attire

Post by bambooneedle »

And do you have to wear a uniform? Overalls? Slacks? Or is it the long socks and shorts look?

http://www.lileks.com/institute/dorcus/shorts.html
A rope leash

Radio freak wince, see?

Post by A rope leash »

I have worked for cable companies in the past, as an installer and line technician, and also as a headend tech. I have worn uniforms in the past, but don't kid yourself, everyone is wearing a uniform.

Nowdays, I try to wear a company shirt, but I don't have to. I travel cross country because, yes, I reckon it ain't just anybody that can deal with this shit.

I've cabled just about every kind of building you can think of, and hauled tons of equipment up thousands of stories all over the USA.

...and boy, am I tired!
A rope leash

bla bla bla

Post by A rope leash »

Sometimes I think Blue Chair doesn't like me anymore. That's awful because I just love him. If I were more gay, and so was he...

I mean it!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Wow Rope, I imagine it would be almost impossible to get those mothers to the top of a building (besides by construction crane or by helicopter), that it would involve a hell of a lot of lugging and assembly.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

So Rope...is it possible for you to get SKY TV from the Uk over in America? As you probably know, we use digital satellite tv, and get loads of uk channels all with TV interactivity (like an online listings guide, and info about the shows, etc)...

It's always puzzled me why satellite tv has never taken off in the US, because it's so superior to cable.
BlueChair

Re: bla bla bla

Post by BlueChair »

A rope leash wrote: Sometimes I think Blue Chair doesn't like me anymore. That's awful because I just love him. If I were more gay, and so was he...

I mean it!
Don't get me wrong, rope, I like you a lot. It's just that I believe in concision, and sometimes these threads that go on forever tend to be rambly and offer little new content as they progress. :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.