What was the greatest Beatles Album?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.

Greatest Beatles album ?

Abbey Road
10%
Revolver
33%
Rubber Soul
19%
Sgt Pepper
10%
Let it Be
No votes
White Album
24%
other
5%

Total votes: 21

Jackson Doofster

What was the greatest Beatles Album?

Post by Jackson Doofster »

They were the greatest band ever. Everyone loves their music (well, most people)......but what was their greatest?
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Oh, I can't. :oops:

PICK ONE!

ok....

grrrr!

Rubber So.....Sgt. Pepper!

ok, it's pepper today....but that was SO hard!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

For a while I would have gone with White Album, but I think my favourite has become Rubber Soul.

The thing I love about the album is that on the surface it's just a bunch of pretty pop songs, but if you look further you start to notice Paul McCartney's complex bass playing, some really interesting vocal harmonizing, the beginning of George's interest in The Byrds and Indian influence, the beginning of John's interest in Dylan, and so on. It's really the first album where the individual Beatles become individuals

A lot of people accept the fact that Sgt. Pepper wouldn't have happened if it weren't for The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds album. But as Brian Wilson tells us in his liner notes for recent issues of Pet Sounds, it was hearing Rubber Soul that inspired him to challenge himself and make Pet Sounds.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

and I believe George Harrison played that GROOVY bass part on Drive My Car...
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Rubber Soul has been in my car for a month. (yet another safety valve for when Jody's riding)

I can't believe I didn't pick it. It's beautiful. It's perfect. Every track is awesome!
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I had to go with Rubber Soul too. See above for reasons why :wink:
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I also picked Rubber Soul.

Though for me, Rubber Soul and Revolver and really kind of inseperable because my first exposure to those albums was on a cassette tape that had Rubber Soul on one side and Revolver on the other. But I think I like Rubber Soul slightly better.

I cant even think about what Ive just done to Abbey Road and the White Album . . .
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

LessThanZero wrote:and I believe George Harrison played that GROOVY bass part on Drive My Car...
You're thinking of "Think For Yourself", which has two basses, a fuzz bass played by Paul, and a regular bass played by George.

"Drive My Car" is Paul on bass, George on guitar.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I was just thinking maybe I should have picked Revolver . . . "And Your Bird Can Sing"! "Im Only Sleeping"!!

Oh well, first instinct, right?
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

It's ok pip, this is an INSANE thread, proving how twisted JD is! :twisted:

I remember when I first heard Revolver. I had bought most of their early stuff by then, and Abbey Road.

Revolver sounded so DIFFERENT somehow! When I listen to it now, it's just another brilliant Beatles album, but on my first couple of listens that acid rock was totally new to me! I LOVE REVOLVER!

But I'd have to take Rubber Soul by a sliver too pip. I think that sliver is the difference between "What Goes On" and "Yellow Submarine".

It's close.
Last edited by LessThanZero on Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Revolver is great, but I think the fact that "Yellow Submarine" is on it weakens the album.

As for the whole acid-rock thing, I don't really buy it. It was mostly just John's songs that were like that. Which definitely contributed to the feel of the album, but I mean what did Paul contribute to that album? Great songs, but "Here, There, and Everywhere" and "Got To Get You Into My Life" are more the sort of pop songs that would have appeared on Rubber Soul, whereas John's contributions to the two albums are completely different.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Yeah, I just remember that it sounded like a radically different Beatles album at first. I can't really place why. I think it was the guitar sounds and the harmonies...

and Yellow Submarine is one of my least faves too.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

''Got to get you into my life''

plus Yellow Submarine is cool!!!
Misha

Post by Misha »

Hey, this subject posting is going to come in handy, as maybe it will cause me to buy my first Beatle album...

I'd like to vote, but can't. Never listened to any of them.

So, I'm going to vote other so I can watch the voting..... Bet I'm the only other one.... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Revolver, but it's about time I pulled out that Rubber Soul LP again.

Recently got Please Please Me - not one of their greatest but it's very consistently good.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Abbey Road will always have a special place in my heart.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Revolver. "Dr. Robert"

But I love 'em all. Magical Mystery Tour is highly underrated.

Yellow Submarine is great fun. And it's my son's favorite song by the Beatles. He watches the movie all the time.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Oh, the movie's amazing... it was my first DVD purchase.
Joe Porterhouse

Post by Joe Porterhouse »

I think my favorite Beatles album changes depending on what I'm going thru in my life.Recently, I feel a certain bond with the White Album but most days it's Revolver or Sgt.Pepper.
bobster

Post by bobster »

It's interesting, back when I was a lad, it seemed that Sgt. Pepper was destined to be considered they're greatest, but over time Revolver has taken it's rightful place as the highpoint between the extremes of youthful pop brilliance and later experimentation, dissillusionment.

Actually, that entire middle period is my true "favorite" -- three albums. Rubber Soul, Help, and Revolver. Help is underrated for a lot of reasons --- including the legitimate one that there's a couple of filler tunes on it. But the highpoints -- Ticket to Ride, Help, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away and I'm sure a few others I've forgotten, simply cannot be beat.

"Help" is also often forgotten because of nasty redistributing of songs from those three albums onto "Yesterday and Today" and the American "Help" soundtrack, which was only the six or so songs from the movie, plus some cuts from the (actually pretty cool) score.

That being said, though, if I've gotta chose one, it's definitely "Revolver"...or Rubber Soul
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Elfslut

Post by Elfslut »

My vote goes for Revolver..then Rubber Soul...

I like ..that...not quite completely psychedelic period of the Beatles...
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Revolver!

And I agree with you Noise that MMT is greatly underrated.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

MMT is indeed underrated.. I personally enjoy it more than Sgt. Pepper's.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I think I do too. As a whole album. There are individual tracks on Sgt. Peppers that I like better than anything they've ever done. Like Day In The Life and Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite. But I reach for MMT much more often. And I Am The Walrus may be the best thing they ever recorded.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
bobster

Post by bobster »

The highpoints of MMT are among the highest of their careers. ("Strawberry Fields" being my personal favorite) -- it's just that the lowpoints are kind of low.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!