NRA Blacklist

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
girl out of time

NRA Blacklist

Post by girl out of time »

check this out........Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Celebrities, citizens flock to join gun blacklist

Most blacklists are designed to intimidate but thousands of Americans are clamouring to join one drawn up by the National Rifle Association (NRA).

Actor Dustin Hoffman was so dismayed to find his name missing from the NRA's shadowy 19-page list of US companies, celebrities and news organisations seen as lending support to anti-gun policies that he wrote to the powerful pro-gun lobby group begging to be included.

"As a supporter of comprehensive anti-gun safety measures, I was deeply disappointed when I discovered my name was not on the list," Hoffman wrote in a letter to the NRA.

"I was particularly surprised by the omission given my opposition to the loophole that makes it legal for 18- to 20-year-olds to buy handguns at gun shows," he added.

Hoffman's name has now been added to the list, which reads like a Who's Who of American business, culture and religion.

It which ranges from the American Jewish Congress to A&M Records, ABC News America and talk show queen Oprah Winfrey.

An NRA spokesman could not be reached for comment.

A group of grass-roots anti-gun campaigners found the list deep on the official NRA website.

They publicised it two weeks ago to garner support for two pieces of gun control legislation facing Congress.

The campaigners set up their own website (http://www.nrablacklist.com) and urged Americans to voluntarily put their names there.

A full-page ad on Tuesday in Daily Variety, the Hollywood trade magazine, urged movie and music artists to sign up.

"What the site tries to do is turn it into a badge of honour to get on the blacklist by saying 'Hey Julia Roberts is on the blacklist. Why don't you join it?'" said Wendy Katz, a spokeswoman for the group.

"It's been incredibly successful. Since we have launched, 25,000 people have signed on to ask to be put on the blacklist."

The NRA initially denied compiling a blacklist as such, saying it was merely responding to members wanting to know which individuals and corporations opposed the US Constitution's Second Amendment on the right to bear arms.

National Rifle Association executive vice-president Wayne LaPierre said of the list last week: "Our members don't want to buy their songs, don't want to go to their movies, don't want to support their careers."

Ms Katz said the campaigners hoped to expose the NRA's influence in Washington DC, spur opposition to a bill that would grant immunity in civil cases for gun manufacturers and dealers, and gather support for renewal of a 1994 ban on the sale of military assault weapons.

--Reuters

.........i was surprised not to see E.C. on that list since many times he has stood against guns and Mr. Heston......

.......you can check this website: http://www.nrablacklist.com (people against the NRA) and there you´ll find a link to the 19-pages blacklist of anti-gun celebreties and associations......
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I've finally been blacklisted! Looks like I've made it after all.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This is brilliant!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Let's all get blacklisted!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I just noticed Michael Moore isn't on the list... you'd think after Bowling For Columbine he'd be the first.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I think to the NRA, Michael Moore would be so obvious that they must not have thought of it. Like McCarthy blacklisting Stalin.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I'm against the NRA obviously, but don't you think that Bowling for Columbine thing was a tad contrived...and edited beyond belief to make it fit what he said. Especially seeing as he completely made up the stuff about them making missiles in that town.

I think Michael Moore is funny and a good guy, I just take him with a pinch of salt and remember he's trying to make money too.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I have the DVD of Bowling for Columbine and Mr. Moore said he was a card carrying member of the NRA. Was Mr. Moore just trying to get Mr. Heston to let his guard down or is Michael really a member?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

He really is a member. Apparantly, the NRA used to be a gun safety organization, and that's when he joined.

It's funny I stumbled on this topic; last night I drove past the NRA headquarters. (let's hear it for the south... :roll: )
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Ha, ha the NRA headquarters! The last time I drove past there, I was in the car with my 70-year-old mother, and she said, "I'd like to take one of Charlton Heston's guns and shoot the balls right out from under him!"

She's not exactly reserved, my mother.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Jack of All Parades

Re: NRA Blacklist

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I think it is time to bring this one back- put me on that list. Proud to say I am a resident of the state in this country with the strictist current gun control laws on the books. Now the other 49 states need to get in line and act accordingly. :x
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

When I look at the list of the posters on this thread I want to start a fight so bad I can't stand it.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Why on earth would you want to start a fight with Goody?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
migdd

Post by migdd »

And besides that, none of these folks have been here since 2003. :lol: :lol: :lol:
A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

Goody? No, I don't want to start a fight with her.

I'm just remembering the old days, when I'd say something.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Whatever happened to Boy With a Problem?
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

...and does he still have a problem?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

One or two problems still remain.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Wouldn't it be ironic if there was a civil war because of this issue? A war fought with guns about the right to carry arms.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

It might be ironic...but if Americans are asked to give up their guns, and they don't, then the Feds try to take them with force, it WILL be a civil war.