books, books, books

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Hop on Pop and One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by the truly incomparable Dr. Seuss. I'm so glad I had kids.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

DrS and I went to a speaking at our local library tonight where we were able to meet Dr. Bill Bass and Jon Jefferson, co-authors of Death's Acre. Dr. Bass started "the body farm" at UT some years ago, furthering studies in forensic science. We also got our book signed. :) I haven't read much yet, but we are looking forward to getting into it more. Dr. Bass was a fabulous speaker and still fresh as a daisy at age 75! The slide show was a bit gory, but I have a tough stomach so it didn't bother us. 8)
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I had two classes under Dr. Bass at the good ole U of T. He's got an ego the size of Texas, but he is interesting to listen to--if you find splatter patterns and adipose tissue decomposition interesting. And yes, I do. One of my ex's took graduate classes from him--the final in one was 12 sets of remains to analyze.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Busy reading 'Tragically I Was an Only Twin', the Peter Cook anthology. Could well be funnier than Woody Allen!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

mood swung wrote:I had two classes under Dr. Bass at the good ole U of T. He's got an ego the size of Texas, but he is interesting to listen to--if you find splatter patterns and adipose tissue decomposition interesting. And yes, I do. One of my ex's took graduate classes from him--the final in one was 12 sets of remains to analyze.
You mean UT... U of T is my school, damn it 8)

http://www.utoronto.ca/
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I think it's University of Tennessee that's being called U of T, which (I think) is correct. UT would be University of Texas.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Actually UT is the University of TENNESSEE. I was just being stupid and verbose by adding an "of". There's a story about the settlement of Texas by illiterate Tennessee Boys. There was a sign at the Mississippi River's eastern bank that read: All you good TN boys who can read, GO HOME. What lies ahead is hell on earth. The illiterate settled Texas. ba-da-bing. :lol:
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

That's the last time I ever defend you.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

BlueChair--I have an old friend who's on the faculty at your U of T.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Cool!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

noiseradio wrote:
That's the last time I ever defend you.
so that's what that was! I didn't feel the love. now, can you tell me who sings T for Texas, T for Tennessee?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

So what's the University of Tijuana then?

Ah, my alma mater, every time I see a donkey painted to look like a zebra I think fondly of you...
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

so that's what that was! I didn't feel the love. now, can you tell me who sings T for Texas, T for Tennessee?
That's a Jimmie Rogers song, but I got a great version by the Everlys.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm partial to my Bob Dylan & Johnny Cash outtake from Nashville Skyline :D
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

and I was thinking Tompall Glaser. silly me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I`ve just finished Vernon God Little by DBC Pierce ( enjoyable , easy to read , a surprise after all the hype ) . Before that was Lawrence Block`s Small Town ( another easy read if a little disconcerting - there was just too much sex in it !) . I`ve just started John le Carre`s Absolute Friends ; next in my pile is Zoe Heller`s Notes On a Scandal , then Andrew Lycett`s new biography of Dylan Thomas.

I know it isn`t cool but I`m also a fan of John Grisham ; there`s something about the blandness of his output that fascinates me. Today I got a Bookbrowse newsletter that included a competition for his forthcoming new book ; entry merely requires your e-mail address ( and U.S. residency ; I`m going to use a relatives address) .

Here`s the relevant extract -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Grisham
--------------------------

John Grisham's next book, 'The Last Juror, will be
released on Feb 4th. His publisher is running a
competition with a first prize of a new notebook PC
and
the opportunity to ask Grisham the 10 questions you'd
most like to know about him - and have him answer them

for you! The entry form is at
http://www.randomhouse.com/features/grisham/contest/

The contest closes on Jan 20th.

If you'd just like a chance to win a copy of this book

you can visit BookBrowse now to preview an excerpt and

enter to win one of 5 copies:
http://bookbrowse.com/comp18.cfm?titleID=1344
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck !
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

johnfoyle wrote:. . . . Before that was Lawrence Block`s Small Town ( another easy read if a little disconcerting - there was just too much sex in it !)
That's quite surprising, and I don't mean the phrase "too much sex" (which doesn't really compute, now that I think of it). I'm a big fan of Block's. In fact, I gave this book to someone for Christmas, even though I've not read it yet.* The surprise is that there would be a noticeable amount of sex at all. His books tend to have have some romance, and maybe an occasional dollop of kinkiness, but when it's time for the sex, the reader is generally dismissed as the chapter concludes with the bedroom door closing.

I'm a few Block novels behind, although they're all waiting in the "to be read" pile. I guess I have reason to accelerate the pace now.

* yes, canonization awaits one day
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Mood Swung,

Of course I was standing up for you. Blue Chair was trying to take U of T and make it his, and I took his post to mean that he thought you were referring to University of Texas (UT). I was trying to set him straight for setting you straight. But then you set me straight.

As long as we're all straight.

Well, I was beaten to the punch, but it is a Jimmie Rodgers song. It was also name-dropped by Son Volt on their debut album, trace. "It could be Tennessee or Texas..."

For the record, I think Tennessee is gorgeous, and I seriously consider going to Vanderbilt for my PhD some day.
--William Shakespeare
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

....and I'm now reading To Kill A Mocking Bird for the first time ever.
signed with love and vicious kisses
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

just finished last exit to brooklyn by hubert selby jr. borrowed it from my girlfriend. now i'm going to go take a shower. a week long shower.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

noiseradio wrote: As long as we're all straight.
Always forward, Noise....never straight!!

:lol:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Just read the play Glengarry Glen Ross by David Mamet for class.

I recently saw the film version with Jack Lemmon, Kevin Spacey, Al Pacino, Alan Arkin, Ed Harris, and others, and frankly was not impressed at all. I was kind of dreading reading the play for this reason, but thoroughly enjoyed the play. They added a lot of unnecessary parts in the film version, most notably Alec Baldwin's obnoxious character, which is absent from the original play.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Wow. I love that film, especially Alec Baldwin's part.

"Second prize is a set of steak knives...third prize is you're fired..."

And my favorite:

"Coffee is for closers."

Also, Kevin Spacey's just chewing up the scenery in that film. When he's yelling at Alan Arkin to "just go to lunch..." I get goosebumps.

I really think if you've ever worked in sales of any kind, you've worked for peoplelike Spacey and with people like Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris, Al Pacino, and Alan Arkin. I can fully remember my sales manager at the newspaper I worked at right after college saying things like, "If at first you don't succeed, you're fired."
--William Shakespeare
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

I read that play about once a month...and watch the dvd about every couple of months.

I agree with Noise, I love that Alec Baldwin part...

Blake: "The leads are weak." The fucking leads are weak? You're weak. I've been in this business fifteen years...
Dave Moss: What's your name?
Blake: Fuck you! That's my name!
[Moss laughs.]
Blake: You know why, mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight, I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. *That's* my name.

And I also personally think it's one of Pacino's best performances in a long time.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

ABC Always Be Closing ALWAYS..BE..CLOSING...
--William Shakespeare