books, books, books

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

You might enjoy reading the Yiddish Policeman's Union next, Blue.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Indeed - I've heard good things.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

took me a while to get into, but good in the Hiaasen tradition. I do miss Skink.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

I'm almost done with Blue Highways by William Least-Heat Moon. Very enjoyable read. Gives a fascinating insight into the people along the backroads of America, almost like a Tom Waits travelogue.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

I am reading That Book. You know, THAT one. Five hundred pages down; two-hundred sixty to go... It's not literature of the highest order but I'm as hooked as a geeky eleven-year-old.

Sigh. I miss PlaythingOrPet. She'd be here talking about it....
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

no missing pages?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Mechanical Grace wrote:I am reading That Book. You know, THAT one. Five hundred pages down; two-hundred sixty to go... It's not literature of the highest order but I'm as hooked as a geeky eleven-year-old.

I'm only 200 pages in.
signed with love and vicious kisses
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Done. Very satisfying, but not my favorite of the series. Lots of teen angst.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Hah, despite seeing dozens of people reading it on the subway, streetcar and bus, only now has it occured to me as to the book you are talking about :lol:
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

pophead2k wrote:Done. Very satisfying, but not my favorite of the series. Lots of teen angst.
Ditto, verbatim! Though for me it's nearly a tie with book III as my fave. Action packed!
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I liked it, too.

I had been slogging through John Irving's Until I Find You, and put it aside till I finished Harry Potter. I am now back to it, and am sorry to say that I'm dying of boredom. I'm about a third of the way through. Has anyone read this? Does it pick up any, and redeem itself at all? Should I quit now and cut my losses?
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Slog on, Goody. While it is definitely my least favorite by far of Irving's post-Garp work, there are some rewards once you get past the tattoo-hunting first portions.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I misread that as 'tattoo-hunting FIST portions.'

hey, it seemed pretty Irving-ish to me!

Now reading I Married a Communist, which is a good insomnia book. Not that it's putting me to sleep, but for some reason it is much easier to read when I can't sleep.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I liked Until I Find You although it was a bit of a slog in places. Lots of penis holding to come.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Mechanical Grace wrote:I am reading That Book. You know, THAT one. Five hundred pages down; two-hundred sixty to go... It's not literature of the highest order but I'm as hooked as a geeky eleven-year-old.

Does he die, then?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:

Does he die, then?
No, Harry & Ron live together happily everafter.
:wink:
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

pophead2k wrote:Slog on, Goody. While it is definitely my least favorite by far of Irving's post-Garp work, there are some rewards once you get past the tattoo-hunting first portions.
I'm slogging, but only because you say so. It's picked up a little now that he's moved on from St. Hilda's, and as So Lacklustre notes, the penis holding continues unabated.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Two-and-a-half weeks of vacation did me a wonder of good. I read four books whilst abroad:

How To Be Good by Nick Hornby

A bit odd to start my honeymoon with a book about a dissolving marriage, but the light-hearted tone of the novel made it a very quick read. Definitely not the best Hornby I've read, but entertaining nonetheless.

The Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster

Auster has been a favourite novelist of mine since I read The New York Trilogy three or four years ago. I've read a number of his books since, including the fantastic Book of Illusions, and this one is definitely up there with his best. All the characters are interesting for their own reasons, and it's not as depressing as some of Auster's other stuff.

Nine Wives by Dan Elish

Eh.. the story was fun (a single guy who gets desperate to find a wife when all of his friends start getting married), but it seriously felt like I was reading something I could have written. I tend to prefer stuff that I could never manage to create.

Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis

Previously the only Amis I had read was Kingsley's son Martin's London Fields. Thought I'd give his old man a shot - it took me a little while to get around the language but it's a witty, entertaining story of a professor's frustrated assistant.

I'm now onto Irvine Welsh's The Bedroom Secrets of Master Chefs. So far so good!
Otis Westinghouse

Scathing attack on Germaine Greer's new book about Ann Hathaway in the Observer. Worth reading for the chuckles. One suspects he'll be hearing back from Ms Greer in due course...

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/s ... 08,00.html

I once saw her looking mightily pissed off in Stansted Airport (down the road for me, and even nearer for her). The announcement came loud and clear 'Would Germaine Greer please report to...' so everyone was starung at her as she stormed along with a face like thunder.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Just finished this.
Brilliant, wry, funny, dry, laugh, cry.

Highly recommended.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Started on this now, totally mental. Has anyone read any of his books?
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

We started Kafka's Metomorphosis (sp?) today. Not really leisure reading, but I do plan on enjoying it. If I turned into a cockroach I'd be freaking out about it. This guy is still bitching about his job.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
Otis Westinghouse

Meta-

It's beautiful. I wish I could be a teenager again and rediscover it. Enjoy it while you can.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Even if it isn't assigned, read Dickens Great Expectations or Bleak House. I wish I could read those all over again for the first time.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Surprisingly, I have never been assigned Dickens in my school career. And it won't happen this year, because this year is World Lit. Well, I'll take your word for it, pophead, and read some when I get the time.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?