To the XTC fans

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

To the XTC fans

Post by ice nine »

I was listening to the podcast 'WTF with Marc Mahron' and Marc had Todd Rungren on. Todd had some nasty things to say about Andy. It sounded like Andy did not want Dear God included on Skylarking.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Re: To the XTC fans

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Quick search reveals this interview and quote:

Q: XTC's 1986 album Skylarking was your most gruelling production job, right?

TR: I would say probably true. But that's the price of admission. You never know what's going to happen. I try not to dwell too long on the horrible things Andy [Partridge] said to me. I try and focus on the final product and how that saved the band from destruction.

Q: Were there fisticuffs?

TR: Well, there was the moment Andy said he wanted to cleave my head in half with an axe. But there was never anything physical. Just verbal abuse.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013 ... -interview

And more specifically in terms of the podcast you cite and Partridge's response, and points from the latter re TR being a great arranger but a poor engineer and very difficult to work with as a producer, with claims others all agree:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/andy-par ... -dear-god/
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
ice nine

Re: To the XTC fans

Post by ice nine »

Andy has written a song for The Monkees' new record. I'm surprised The Monkees are still around.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain