My Favorite Album Podcast

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jeremy Dylan

My Favorite Album Podcast

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Hi guys,

There's a thread on this http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=10242 going in the Elvis part of the forum, but since this deals with mainly non-EC related subjects, I thought I'd start a new one here.

Since the beginning of the year, I've been producing and hosting a podcast called My Favorite Album. Each episode I'm joined by a different musician to discuss the record that means the most to them - how they discovered it, breaking down their favorite songs and looking at how it has influenced their own life and music.

http://mrjeremydylan.com/myfavoritealbum

My guests to date have included Pete Thomas, Jim Lauderdale, Mark Moffatt, Gossling, Mark Holden and more, and I've got episodes with Steve Nieve and Doug Pettibone in the can awaiting release.

The albums that we've looked at so far include records by Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, ABBA, Gram Parsons, Joni Mitchell, Shawn Colvin, Damien Rice, John Mayall, Jimmy Webb, The Beatles and Eric Clapton.

You can listen to the show at my website http://mrjeremydylan.com/myfavoritealbum or through iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/my- ... d794200252

I'd love to hear feedback from anyone on the forum who has a chance to listen. Discerning music lovers like you guys are pretty much my target audience.
Boy With A Problem

Re: My Favorite Album Podcast

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Jeremy - I've listened to four of these and look forward to the others. Great concept and an excellent interview style - more of a conversation than an interview.......But please don't ever segue from Gram and Emmylou into Nazereth again mid song - that hurt.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Cheers BWAP - glad to hear you're enjoying them. And I'll keep that in mind. I hope you noticed I resisted the urge to do it with Joni Mitchell and Nazareth in the latest episode.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I thought the EC faithful might be interested in my two recent eps with Neil Finn:
http://mrjeremydylan.com/post/972195194 ... on-beatles
http://mrjeremydylan.com/post/978340101 ... 2-on-hunky
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Jeremy, these two might be the best of all the ones I have listened to over the past few months. A perfect guest, a host who engages him and a willingness on the part of the guest to just talk. And talk Mr. Finn can. The Beatles influence is no surprise and even less the Neil Young but Bowie and Radiohead- over the moon with his conversation on song craft, work habits, influences and the hard, slogging work that has to go into making a career. When you get him to open up about the beauty of falsetto or 'youngism' I nearly fell out of my chair laughing and I found myself saying 'yes, exactly' so many times. Mr. Finn comes across in these two pieces as a most engaging, intelligent, self-deprecating and thoroughly normal human being who happens to be possessed of a strong melodic gift that he seems to be constantly honing and expanding as he continues to write and record. You set him some guideposts and then had the foresight to just let the tape run. I loved every minute of these two and only wish there was more. The snippets of his Dizzy Heights project were most welcome. Mr. Finn says it best at the end of the second one-' this was a good conversation'. Well done and thank you, sincerely, for sharing. :D
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Jack, that is a tremendously gratifying and flattering post. It almost made me want to go and download the episodes myself. I'm so glad you seem to go out of them exactly what I was aiming for.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I figure there might be interest around these parts for my latest episode - all about Nick Lowe's "Jesus of Cool". http://mrjeremydylan.com/post/104390164 ... ou-am-i-on
Jack of All Parades

You, Sir, are on a roll.....I had never heard of your guest, Davey Lane, or his various band incarnations but I aim to remedy that over the next year. The opening tones of his song in the piece perked my ears up and I immediately knew this was someone who had listened long and hard to late 70's Mr. Lowe. Clearly "Jesus of Cool" is important to him, and to you I suspect, and Mr. Lang goes to great lengths to explain why, with your gently nudging. He is absolutely correct about the allure of Lowe's 'irony' and I do not take any umbrage when he states that he embraces the work of Mr. Lowe over that of Mr. McManus. The freshness of those first few records have not waned for me, either, and the trajectory of his career has wound down nicely into the persona of a grand old master of popular song. He has matured well in his song-craft as well as in his hair. That homage at the end to "The Sound of Breaking Glass" did something I believe is rare- it improved upon the original. Thank you for sharing.

A quick aside- is the Mark Kermode mentioned in your side comments the son of the late, great English literary critic Frank Kermode?
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Once again Jack, your kind words leave me extremely gratified.

Mark Kermode is not related to Frank - in Mark's case, the Kermode is as a professional pseudonym. He's the bassist for English skiffle band The Dodge Brothers, as well as being probably the UK's most famous film critic. He hosts a weekly two hour radio show with Simon Mayo every Friday, which you can podcast if you are a film fan.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

My latest episode features a former Confederate - all around legend (in all senses of the word) and a real Heartbreaker, Mr Benmont Tench. We dive very deep on the Stones classic 'Beggars Banquet'.

http://mrjeremydylan.com/post/139013975 ... nch-on-the

I have two episodes coming up that will definitely be of interest to EC fans. The first, with Wise Up Ghost producer Steve Mandel, is on the way next week.
Jack of All Parades

First, shame on me Jeremy for forgetting about your interview program. That will be rectified as I have subscribed. Mr. Tench has such a visceral attachment to music and his sheer love and admiration for this record is palpable. And you do the best thing- you for the most part get out of the way and just let him talk and talk he can. Wonderful record, wonderful memories for me of a record I too treasure as I found this record around the same time as he did, wonderful engagement with a guest and a wonderful way to hopefully engage a new generation with some meaningful, playful and lasting musical art. And then to find out you engaged Mr. Isbell and that that was about a Stones record, too. I am over the moon. Now on to your show about Southeastern. Live Oak is one of two songs from the last five years that I feel will be played two hundred years from now on whatever sound conveyance machine is favored at that time; it is that timeless. I also enjoyed Mr. Tench's hat. I would also welcome the chance to take both of you on as to the pros of a Parson's version over a Jagger/Richard's version without the option of 'taring and feathering and riding you out of town on a rail'.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Recently I have started to listen to the podcast. I enjoy hearing what other artist are listening to. You are good at interviewing others. I have only listened to four. I enjoyed the one with Kacey M.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain