The Boss vrs The Thin White Duke vrs The Bobster

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.

Who U like best - Springsteen or Bowie or Dylan

Springsteen
18%
Bowie
32%
Dylan
50%

Total votes: 28

bobster

Post by bobster »

Sulky --

Yeah, I suppose they could've...it would have to be either the Ramones or possibly Johnny Paycheck.

Mike --

Actually, I wasn't quite as enthralled with "Whale Rider" as a lot of people. Loved the characters and the acting, but the story kind of lost my attention. However, it was nice to see that in NZ, even fairly poor people get to live on the beach. (In L.A., you've got to make six figures to park there.)

"Return of the King"...of course, -- but I'm awaiting even more anxiously the long version of "The Two Towers". Don't remember if we've discussed it, but the long version of "Fellowship" is probably the best new movie I've seen in years.

AND ONE MORE THING....

Re: Matters Kotterific

My former boss claims to have been the original Horshack. Seems he was cast in the role, but they caught him lying about his age and switched over to the acting genius that is Ron Palilo.

One day,he actually showed us a couple of unsold pilots of "Kotter" rip-offs where he was cast in the "Horshak" role.

I quit the very next day! (That wasn't the reason...well, at least I don't think it was.)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Yep, love the extended version of Fellowship bobster - and Two Towers extended should be great - more Grishnak I hope.

When you quite I hope you had a letter -

Dear Whoever it May Concern.

Im sorry but the Bobster has to quit.

Yours Sincerely
The Bobsters Mom.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

See, now that's what's great about this board-- we start out with three amazing musicians, and end up with Horshak (sp?).

So good to see you all over this board again, Mr. Boom. Did you dig that avatar up just for me, didja, hmmm???
bobster

Post by bobster »

"...so, please give little Bobster a large severance package equalling three years pay. Bobster is so creative and his needs are so great...."

Bobster's Mother

Actually, my old boss is just crazy enough....Damn!
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Of course I did Mugs.

But what do you mean "all over this board"? You make me sound like a bad rash! :)

I imagine Bobsters Mother ringing Bobster all time -

"YOU NEVER CALL YOUR OWN MOTHER - WHATS WRONG WITH YOU?"

"Mom , Im busy right now, Im pitching my latest script, now's not a good time, can I call you later?"

"CALL ME LATER - THATS ALL YOU EVER SAY - I'LL CALL YOU LATER - I GAVE BIRTH TO YOU - DO YOU KNOW WHATS THAT LIKE????" ..etc etc etc

***N.B***This is of course a figmant of my own insane imagination and Im sure the Bobsters Mother is very nice and not at all like my imganed Bobsters Mother.
bobster

Post by bobster »

"Oooh! Ooooh! Mr. Kotter...Mike Boom's talking about Bobster's mother"

Coming soon: Mike Boom and Bobster play the dozens, old school.

Mike: "You're mother's so fat, after sex, she smokes a turkey!"

Bobster: "Well, you're mother's so ugly...people don't like to, uh, look at her...I guess."
HungupStrungup

"It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe"

Post by HungupStrungup »

sulkygirl wrote:Dylan may be a great songwriter, but I'm sorry, I just CANNOT get past that whiny, nasal voice of his.
You only have to hear Blood on the Tracks to get over that aversion. It's a stunning album (from 1975, by some accounts here well past his prime, most creative and influential period) and totally without whine.

I voted for Bob, but not without having to consider. I love and respect all three of these artists. In the end it was Dylan's longevity and scope that won out. His back catalogue is still being mined for gems, and I'm now looking forward to the next installment of the Bootleg Series, 1964's Philharmonic Hall concert.

I have Bowie's version of "It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City" on an album called One Step Up/Two Steps Back: the Songs of Bruce Springsteen. John Hiatt ("Johnny 99"), Marshall Crenshaw ("All or Nothin' at All"), Dave Alvin, Syd Straw and many others are represented on this collection. The edition I have has 2 CDs, although I think there may have been a single-disc version as well, so check the contents before buying if you're looking for DB.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"