The Boss vrs The Thin White Duke vrs The Bobster

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.

Who U like best - Springsteen or Bowie or Dylan

Springsteen
18%
Bowie
32%
Dylan
50%

Total votes: 28

BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I enjoy Let's Dance too. And I have it on vinyl :D
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Me too.

Good on you, Blue.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Stevie Ray jams on Let's Dance......I rest my case...anyone who could get Stevie Ray to fit in on a total pop record like that is a king.

Bob is a god just because he's so grubby.

Bruce is nowhere close to the other two, but would be a great guy to hang out with and a great performer.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Let's Dance is ... oh, I'm too grown up for even that red rag.

All I can say is: 1973–1982, stranded on the island of Jersey, worshipping Bowie, playing every single LP to death. 1983: student in Birmingham, Bowie plays the huge NEC up the road on the LD tour, Otis stays in to brush up on his knowledge of Restoration Comedy.
Lee

Post by Lee »

O!! David Bowie is my pick too, hands down from that list.

Let's Dance was a pivotal record of my youth. Stevie Ray's part made it homey (Tx and all) and the dance*i*ness made it perfect for the summer of my disco*ntent.

And from there the whole world opened for me.....ALL of Bowie's work, glam including TRex, Roxy Music, Ny Dolls, and from there punk and from there poets like Dylan. And Elvis.

I have never cared for Bruce. I suspect its a cultural thing that I just don't quite get.

Its been quite a wonderful journey. And its not over yet, as I have just fallen deeply in love with the White Stripes. Anybody who can (successfully) cover a Captain Beefheart work after 1968, is alright in my book.

have a wonderful Independence Day, my fellow Americans, and Happy July to the rest of ya'll!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

this is an extremely interesting and fairly astounding read. i'm quite surprised at the poll results.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Face it, Otis. You're just wrong about Let's Dance. I got Lee and Cope Fan backing me up. Cope Fan alone could take you, all bald and leathery.

:wink:
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Go Zimmerman!! I'm suprised, too.

Bob
Bruce
Davey
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

I tried to saty out of it becasue Otis is my new found friend and I would appear biased. LET'S DANCE IS BLOODY AWFUL!!!!

It also contains Modern Love. I hate that crappy song.
Reminds me of lots of New Romantics with pink hair prancing around the dancefloor in baggy trousers and spats.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Otis Westinghouse

You tell 'em Doof! I don't care how could Stevie R V was, nor Rodgers and Edwards, I am not impressed by a serious artist selling out. His credibility went down the chute, and the memory of the brilliance (and challengingness) of Scary Monsters was cast aside for this awful, unsubtle, totally unchallenging and uninteresting pile of vacuousness, as if he woke up one day and said 'Reagan and Thatcher rule, and I want my slice'.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I think I'd feel differently about this if I were the longtime Bowie fan that Ote is, but to me those LET'S DANCE bits are kind of like good junkfood. I get a serious yen for Burger King* (though never McDonald's, eew) on occasion, but it doesn't mean it's real food or that it should be consumed without caution...

I think if that stuff was done by anyone else, it would've just been seen for what it was/is-- good junky pop. I have a certain amount of affection for it because I lived in NYC when that hit and was doing the whole early 20's, cocaine-and-club-hopping thang. But I don't even think of it as being in the same category as his good stuff.

*PS, I ate some BK in London recently. NOT the same. In the US, BK flame broils its brugers, and that is the diff. Still crappy and greasy, but tasty.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

how 'bout none of the above? I have great respect for them, but none of them really do it for me. They don't wear glasses. I like crusty voices, but Dylan has become unintelligible. For what it's worth, I think Bowie did wake up one day and decide to get his piece. Some people shouldn't do rehab, I suppose. Bruce is ok. And that's all I have to say about that.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
bobster

Post by bobster »

For a second there I thought this was somehow about me! :oops:

You know, I just popped in for the first time in months, and there's "my name....oh, well, how quickly they forget....

Anyhow, I had to vote for my fellow Robert, though I in some ways I have more of an emotional connection to Springsteen and "Spiders from Mars" is more of a favorite album than anything Dylan has ever done. But, looking at the three respective careers and the amazing number of great songs Dylan has written that even a casual observer like me can't miss the guy's genius -- and, let's face it, he's pretty much the first guy to write rock songs that were about more than girls, music and cars.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Otis Westinghouse

Howdy Bobster! Nice to see you here. How's it being going in DDH? Don't stay away so long next time.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Howdy, Otis. I'd go on but I don't want to seem like I'm trying to steal the spotlight from that other Bobster! (Though someday I'll have to share with you all my vision of history as a battle between good and evil Bobs.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I vote for the Bobster - with Dylan, Bowie and Springsteen close behind. :shock:
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I vote for the Bobster - with Dylan, Bowie and Springsteen close behind. :shock:
bobster

Post by bobster »

Well, seeing as my musical career up to now consists of playing bad harmonica in my early twenties (though not quite as badly as Mr. Dylan, come to think of) and a few attempts to learn keyboards -- (never got past John Brimhall's "Easy Piano" rendition of "Something Stupid" and "Born Free") and writing two or three goofy song lyrics (I think one was called "Trash Compactor Love" -- thankfully, never fully musicalized) -- I guess I should feel oddly humbled.

So, I graciously accept this award. And tell Bruce Thomas it's time we put aside our petty squabbles and buried the hatchet. I forgive him for writing a book about martial arts.

Thank you.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I voted for Bob. Bob is just a cool name - same backwards as it is forwards - and then there's the bob house (a little hut you sit in as you fish through the ice, like in Grumpy Old Men, except in Minnesota (where Bob is from) they're not called bob houses - only in NH and Maine).

Simply body of work - for the life of me, I can't come up with my favorite 5 songs off of "Highway 61 Revisited" never mind his whole career.

I'm a Bowie fan and he's a great performer - but there has always been something about him that has seemed less than geniune - very concerned about the money - the whole bisexuality as a marketing tool thing. Again, I like a ton of his songs - eapecially the Alladin Sane record.

Never been a Springsteen fan. I have loads of respect for the man - but I have never gotten into him - and I think it's because of the idiots I knew in high school who were into him.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I demand to hear a demo of Trash Compactor Love - or at least read the lyrics!
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Mr Mike Boom.....where the hell have you been hanging out....great to have you back.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Mike Boom wrote:I demand to hear a demo of Trash Compactor Love - or at least read the lyrics!
Me, too, bobster!! Cough it up (Tin Pan Alley, maybe??)
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
bobster

Post by bobster »

Sorry, but all my musical writings were tragically destoyed in the great Palms/Culver City fire of '89.

And let me, also say, good to see ya' Mike Boom. Saw "Whale Rider" -- doing boffo indie b.o. stateside* -- and was thinking of you. (Hey, I know it's not like your intimately acquainted with cast and crew, but NZ is a small country, right?)

*Translation provided upon request.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Thanks to everyone for the "Welcome Backs". I feel like Mr Kotterrrrrr!

I havent actually seen Whale Rider yet Bobster but Ive heard its great. The little bay where they filmed it has become quite a tourist spot apparently.

And of course Im still hangin out for Return of the King. Yes we wants to see it! :shock:
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

C'mon, Bobster...rack that brain of yours & give us a thrill!! (Sounds like something the Ramones might've covered)...
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."