NPR - Wost Songs of All Time

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

NPR - Wost Songs of All Time

Post by ice nine »

I listened to this podcast on my way to work and I was laughing through it. The NPR group was analyzing and demolishing all the songs on the list. All the songs were hits and I disagreed with some of the comments, but, for the most part, the discussion is valid.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2014/ ... f-all-time
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Poor Deportee

Re: NPR - Wost Songs of All Time

Post by Poor Deportee »

ice nine wrote:I listened to this podcast on my way to work and I was laughing through it. The NPR group was analyzing and demolishing all the songs on the list. All the songs were hits and I disagreed with some of the comments, but, for the most part, the discussion is valid.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2014/ ... f-all-time
Well, there's a difference between a bad song and an overplayed song. "Brown Eyed Girl" is by no means a bad pop song, it's just become a cliché by virtue of its success. The same is true of "Obladi-Obalada," a characteristically memorable McCartney number celebrating ordinary life in that ebullient, generous way he had in the mid-to-late 1960s. Even "Wonderful Christmastime" is perfectly serviceable for what it is, namely a Christmas ditty. Basically I find this to be a random mishmash of legitimate critique bolted to arbitrary bitching about songs that get too much play. And any recording by Celine Dion is probably "worse" aesthetically speaking than 90% of the entries on this list.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones