Kathleen Edwards contracts Elvis Costello disease!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Poor Deportee

Kathleen Edwards contracts Elvis Costello disease!

Post by Poor Deportee »

She's "pretty sure" she's quitting music:

https://www.facebook.com/kathleenedward ... 7559491305

Sigh...
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

Re: Kathleen Edwards contracts Elvis Costello disease!

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Well that is a downright shame. Though it does seem as if she if re-considering her earlier statements given this:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... pjlzKYgrxw

this could also be said to be an example of EC disease :wink: the equivocation back and forth with the I did not mean that statements.

Should she truly follow through on the idea I think it would be a sad day. Her first three records wore holes on my turntable. She possesses a songwriting skill that only a few have. She can sketch a story in a few memorable lines and populate it with 'real' characters. Her voice is not half bad, either. Has to be hard being a working musician the validation that big sales used to bring is no longer there and the current economic model just robs them of any real income from album and download sales.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Yes, Jack, it would not surprise me at all if finances play a role in her malaise. I don't know her situation, but I suspect that it's basically akin to living like a student - permanently. That's great when you're 25, but the older you get the more soul-destroying such poverty typically becomes, a truth to which I can personally attest, having been lodged in grad school until my early 30s. One of my other musical heroes, eccentric hip-hop act Buck 65, actually went job-hunting a few years ago because he was exhausted from not having two pennies to rub together (he ended up securing a steady gig on CBC Radio).

Another part of the problem might be the internet age. We all go through phases where we wistfully imagine ourselves doing other things and trading away our commitments for alternatives that seem less banal and more romantic; and even a life in music no doubt has its banal side. But in the Facebook era we can publicly broadcast these sentiments, which in the past would have been relegated to the private realm.

I too loved her first three records - didn't like her fourth - and especially enjoyed the superb Asking for Flowers. It'd be a real loss if she were indeed to opt out.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

It is a mean old economic world out there- too many of us are skirting the poverty line going from pay check to pay check. Truly sad to speculate how it impacts working artists.

I challenge anyone to listen to a song like "Hockey Skates" and not come away impressed.

She is a damn good songwriter/performer.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'