This Year's Girl Acoustic Cover

This is for all of your writings, songs, pictures or however else you feel like expressing yourself. Have at it!
Al Robitaille

This Year's Girl Acoustic Cover

Post by Al Robitaille »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have never posted to a forum before, so just let me know if anything I'm doing is uncool.

Nice to see such an active group and good topics - really well organized!

I just opened a YouTube account and read where it's a good idea to post your YouTube recording to a related forum.

My cover of This Year's Girl is hopefully attached here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai0-4T3MFSs

Not sure I did that right, so its also hopefully attached here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai0-4T3MFSs

My all time favorite album is This Year's Model from which my favorite song is This Year's Girl. I am hoping to record and post Lip Service and Waiting For The End Of The World soon.

EC's first two albums were insanely good. I saw him perform in London, Ontario on The University of Western Ontario campus just after the release of This Year's Model and I will never forget it. The whole show was 45 minutes long, but nobody could've handled any more, it was just so intense.

Big, big fan of Steve Nieve's work on This Year's Model, and for that matter all the music is so sharp on that album, with excellent recording.

Anyway, thanks for reading this post.

Al
bambooneedle

Re: This Year's Girl Acoustic Cover

Post by bambooneedle »

Nice performance, Al. Have you tried putting more bite into the angry lines? I think the song works on contrast - the raw angry side and the tender romantic side - to show the angst, how torn up and in love Elvis is with the girl, and his youthful angst. Good luck.
Al Robitaille

Re: This Year's Girl Acoustic Cover

Post by Al Robitaille »

Wow, great feedback! I can't help but feel the emotion in this song, but it took this comment to get me to feel where this emotion is coming from.

The performance really would benefit from more bite and dynamics, thanks for pointing it out. Wish I had the growl to pull off what we both hear, but going forward when I play it, I'll definitely pull back on the smooth and add contrast.

Thank You!

Al