IS IT DEAD YET?

This is for all of your writings, songs, pictures or however else you feel like expressing yourself. Have at it!
A rope leash

IS IT DEAD YET?

Post by A rope leash »

Warhol was right. We each get 15 minutes. What he didn’t tell us was that the fifteen minutes would be segmented out randomly, that our fame would be found not in the numbers that know, but in many instances of knowing shared among an ever-changing few.

The flux is on, I had the dream last night. Some old man was trying to tell me something. I left the ratty apartment, and walked out into the lot, and there it was, across the water, The Big City, The Beautiful City. It was kind of like the view from Alameda, but it wasn’t San Francisco.

So, what have the past few years wrought for the old doggie? After years of slogging through bitter relationships and uncertain employment, I’ve come to settle down on the old hill back home. Several years ago, for some unknown reason, I became obsessed with getting my birthright. I set it up and snagged it, and I’m set but it could be taken away. I could do it myself, get rid of it, let it go. Folks like me change.

People like me are just doing what we can. It’s a ride.

One of the more fascinating developments in my life lately has been contact with virtual acquaintances I have discovered through the wonders of mass communication, via my life long love for a controversial musician. For a person like me, to have a place, an outlet for my madness. The event in its entirety has contained a tremendous quantity of unadulterated spew, and of course, I’m just talking about myself here.

Well, what can I say? I’m a famous nutcase.

It’s quite awful how it’s all fallen apart. I actually feel sad that some of that crap is lost. Earth knows I put more energy in to providing chum for this board than I do for just about anything else. If that ain’t madness, I oughta be slapped.

In my endeavor to go completely out of my way to impress a few worshippers of Elvis, I’ve managed to offend quite a few, piss some off, and perhaps I even made some run away. I didn’t mean to, I just meant to be me, a crazy old dog who has very few heroes.
I fought and I died many times. I’ve learned a rich treasure, about folks in general, about people like me, and about myself in particular. I’m a true arse of the finest kind, kicked beyond all healing.

It doesn’t matter in a writer’s world. There is no point if there is no audience.

But, who knows where it’s all headed? I’ve allowed myself to be rather brutal, and I’ve allowed the war to be it’s own excuse for everything that war is. The truth about it is much deeper. I’ve got nothing against anyone here, really, even the ones I get a little angry with. I have to assume that we are all human beings, and human beings sometimes have to let off a bit of smelly gas.

So, I don’t know. Will we get it back together? How many folks are lost and don’t know where we are? Are we all so cornered that all we can do is play silly song games? Does anyone want me to fix the noun?

I would like it very much if everyone came back. Sulky, lapins, HungStrung…I’m sorry if you just couldn’t take it anymore. We can play nice if you insist.

Back in 1958, the poets went on strike. No one noticed.

Without an audience, there is no point.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Dear Rope

I am truly glad to see you back. I am otherwise a rather big fan of yours, not that my approval means that much. But nevertheless you are a guy who puts it out on the line and challenges the way the system works and the way people think. It's not really about being right, but making others think..................you are able to do that in an entertaining way.

welcome back..........you pump blood into this gig.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Most people have been lost through the board change web site! And if not its ridiculous to leave just because someone posts something you dont like - that would just deny us our freedom of speech if no one could post how they feel. So I really dont think you need to send yourself to your basket for that one doggie!

So post away regardless. Your still my favourite dog - but dont piss me off or your nose will still get whacked with a rolled up newspaper! :wink: :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
A rope leash

Don't encourage him!

Post by A rope leash »

Cope: Entertaining for you, agonizng for others! Thanks for the props, bro, and keep fighting the real fight.

Gilli: This is going into my act:

...my dog thinks he's a bad ass. He's always growling and snarling at people. I've got him under control, though. I've got the Post Dispatch!

>thwack<

It's all in the delivery.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Rope - what if there were a whole new bunch of posters here to interact with, would that make much of a difference? I'm not sure whether this site could easily be made more 'new poster' friendly, but if I were in charge I'd try some radical changes - to get some new blood in, and maybe reinvigorate the old blood. New blood might want to start off discussion about Elvis' songs again... I could go ahead and suggest some ideas but a lot of them would probably just be considered unbearably unpopular at first or taboo and without full creative control to try them out I'd feel rather restricted.
Copenhagen Fan

Re: Don't encourage him!

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

A rope leash wrote:Cope: Entertaining for you, agonizng for others! Thanks for the props, bro, and keep fighting the real fight.
VERY ENTERTAINING and interesting...I can't see how YOU alone and your opinions could drive people away from the board. It we all were happy and in agreement, then what would we talk about??? ELVIS????! hæ hæ hæ
A rope leash

More victims!

Post by A rope leash »

Nope, Cope, it takes a team offort to really drive people off.

One of the things that can be done to increase traffic is to get other Elvis related sites to link to us. The link at http://www.costellonews.com has not been updated.

The site could run ads for hemp cream and penis enlargement pills. That's another way of reaching out.

Maybe we can get Elvis to post just for one night. That would draw. What's his phone number?
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Oh Rope...that idea conjures up images of the OLD site where people actually thought that ELVIS posted and Babe B. was reaking havock on us all.............and the Zebra thing was busting loose and destroying trust in the human spirit and demoralizing Mr. Average.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

It's...

A L I V E !
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

When will your webcam be ready Rope? Just don't bombard us with any of them ads :wink:. 8). Maybe you could write a script and hire WHAR, for a pay-per-view docudrama about his life.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Webcam is fun.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Copenhagen Fan wrote:Webcam is fun.
So... what do you do with it?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

BAMBOO: Dont ask.......he will only tell you!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Ropey: you hate me because I'm young, but how many of the young that you hate are EC fans?

That's gotta count for something. :)
A rope leash

Young hate...

Post by A rope leash »

I'd like to say WHAR's life would make an interesting study, but I doubt it. Observing most of what makes up his generation is about as boring as watching flies fuck.

There are not many young Elvis Costello fans, only some young people who picked up on Elvis' "intellectual cool". The last Elvis concert was flled with young folks who had never really heard rock and roll, and had no idea what
a rock concert was about. The little fuck next to me actually complained that I was stepping on his shoes as I danced. I told him that this was a rock and roll show, and that he should take one of the empty seats next to him, if he wanted to protect himself. He said those seats "weren't his".

This was late in the show. What a cunt.

In fact, almost all of the young at that concert were fun-challenged. It's no wonder...the most of the so-called rock music they play today is souless, tuneless, beatless junk. They couldn't have a real good time even if they were forced to. They think they are (ironically), "above it all", while at the same time, they are "too deep". The truth isn't even in the middle, it's on the shallow side.

Despite all the "extreme sports" and "radical chic", my assesment of the young is that they are dull and uninspiring. I long for the days of poodle rock, when there was at least some real energy. This new group is too corporate, too "marketed", and too timid for my rebel tastes.

"Hate" is such and ugly word. I don't really hate anyone, I just hate what they are and what they do. I also call 'em as I see 'em, and if anyone sees it differently, well, I don't hate you for that.

Web cam...with audio? Then, there would be no need to read. Lyndon Johnson said that we were fast approaching the day when we would no longer respond to normal stimuli. That day has come and gone, and now it is necessary for many corporations to continually come up with new marketing strategies, new products, and new campaigns to sell to our dallying, over-fed, and under-worked youth. You don't need a new sandwich, or a new device every quarter. What you need is to experience life without such things.

Have you seen this new car make, the Scion? They have three models, two of which are tinny, tiny box-carts that barely qualify for the freeway. Why is it that the youth of today want this sort of thing instead of a real, powerful, sexy car like I got when I was young? The answer is simple: They don't demand it. The market was basically created for them, and they were told what was cool, and they believe just about everything they hear or see, especially if it comes from the radio, or the television, or from some mind-molding magazine they have come to believe "represents" them.

In my day, going along with the crowd was not exactly cool. That's why Elvis has survived...he's the real thing, not some propped up marketing shill. In my day, if I walked around with a T-shirt that had some corporate logo on it, I would have been shunned, and rightly so. Not true these days, though...now it is important to show the world what brand you buy.

It gives me the creeps.

I'm sure there are some young Elvis fans out there, but I don't believe for a minute that WHAR is one of them. Why? Because he's always promoting some corporate product (like Opie and Andy), and we all know that ain't where Elvis habitates.

...now they're coming around from door to door
to sell you back what's already yours
so many good deeds, so little time
say the advertising agency swine
when man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones...

...if you don't believe that I'm going for good
you can count all the days I'm gone
and chop up the chairs for firewood...

- Elvis Costello, Coal Train Robberies
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Haha, the thought of a flabby older man dancing on a poor, defensless child is enough for me to form a mental blue-print of how not to be when I "grow up" (regardless of how much "Rock N Roll" I got left in me).

Listen to the album "Deja Entendu" by Brand New.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

wehitandrun wrote:Haha, the thought of a flabby older man dancing on a poor, defensless child is enough for me to form a mental blue-print of how not to be when I "grow up" (regardless of how much "Rock N Roll" I got left in me).
Don't laugh WHAR - it could happen to you :lol: There are plenty of years left in you. Once you leave your teens, 20s, 30s etc you may become one of them.

Keep this post and PM me in 20 years time!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

flies fuck? wow.

rope, kids these days! actually, having one of each gender of teenager in my household as well as their sundry friends from time to time, I would have to say that WHAR is probably not representative of his demographic.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
A rope leash

Little shithead, thou art of a stinky mind...

Post by A rope leash »

Flabby? Hardly...but even if I was, I wouldn't take it as an insult. Fat jokes are like racial jokes to me. I feel sorry for Star Jones. I don't think folks with a weight problem should be made the butt of poor jokes. For one thing, it's too easy.

I am a large, powerful man, and I can dance. I have always been able to dance. People came up to me after the Elvis show and said, "man, you sure can dance!"

I doubt that WHAR dances now, and I doubt he ever will. He doesn't really know what fun is. He thinks fun comes out of an electronic box.

WHAR's "poor, defenseless child" excuse is getting ripe. When I was 17, I was well on my own, and far away from my home. The kid I stepped on at the concert was well into his 20's. How he could have just sat there while Elvis was rocking is beyond me. Perhaps he was following "the rules", which meant "no dancing, and stay in your chair". Fuck the rules, man, this is rock and roll!

Anyway, mood, do your kids dance?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

the girlchild does, but the boy holds back. it's the engineer in him.

knoxville 3/10. you really ought to be there, rope.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I support the arguments of the most recent post to this thread by Mr. Leash.

I have been at Elvis shows where I have been asked to SIT DOWN during some pretty great moments in the show, because the 'fans' behind me can't see.

An old Stiff Records T-Shirt read "Fuck Art, Let's Just Dance"
It was a favorite for years, until I had a child. Now it is in the clothing archives...too mant good memories to pass that one on to Goodwill.

I, too, tend to move at concerts. When I saw the Blaster the first time, and Los Lobos the first time, I think 6 or 7 people died due to collateral damage from my dancing. For me, it is very graceful. For those around me, it is nearly lethal. But it is fun, and in genereal, people like to see other people have fun, as long as it isn't encroaching on their personal rights.

Rope, I agree with you, and now I am afraid...very afraid.

Pass the lithium, please. The SSRI's and Vicodin ES cocktails are just not going to do it today.

Mr. X-bar
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Well, nobody disagreed that shows are full of douche bags. That is why I stopped going to shows- I am sick of scene kids that go for the simple reason to 'fight'.

Elvis shows I go to whenever I can, however.

Rope, were you dancing at his most recent store with Steve? If so, then I do disagree with you. It the Wang Theatre atmosphere- dancing would have just been ridiculous, especially to the music he was playing.

If you're in a club, go for it! No problem, if the kid complains- dance his ass out into the parking lot. When you said 'seats' this conversation suddenly lost all humor, because it went beyond 'joke-disturbing' straight into 'nuclear-disturbing'.
A rope leash

Sit! Stay!

Post by A rope leash »

You are nuclear-disturbed because I didn't stay in my seat at a rock and roll show?!

What a putz!

Hey, Mr. Average: Drugs are bad!

:twisted: :lol:

Have you tried Paxil? I haven't. Or Prozac, or Zoloft. Booze and weed sort things out fine for me...

Elvis is playing KNX? I gotta check the schedule....
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

No, Rope. A rock show isnt Elvis and Steve on the North tour (w/ the Brodskeys) in a sophisticated theatre with a bunch of old dullards applauding every song they've never heard before.

A rock show is in a club, and in some cases (never in an Elvis case) an arena.

I was attempting to figure out where your flabby old self was dancing, and you obviously got confused. So forget it.
A rope leash

Clarity

Post by A rope leash »

Did I not say that it was a rock and roll show?

It was at an old theater in St. Louis. Lots of seats. The Imposters.

I'd dance at the Lincoln Center if the beat struck me.

Forget it? You are going to make "fat" comments about me and you want me to "forget it"?

I'm no flabbier than Elvis is. The person you claim to be a fan of is overweight. Do you think it's a joke? Will you now make fun of Elvis because he is old and "flabby"?

Aren't you a donut fryer?