(fragment for thought)

This is for all of your writings, songs, pictures or however else you feel like expressing yourself. Have at it!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Heh, actually, I'm in school and just didn't feel like dealing with this.

It sounds exactly how I wanted it to, does that answer your question?

Why can't I criticize other singers? You're implying that I have to be a better singer than the singer I'm criticizing? I think I have a great voice, and I think I'm a great singer. There is always room for improvement, but I'm satisfied. As far as I'm concerned, that is not off key... it is just how I intended it to be. There is a vocal melody that I'm following in everyone one of those songs... whether it's "discernable" to you or not... well, I don't know.

If you don't like the tone... well, sorry?

Want me to write out the vocal melody with half/quarter/whole notes for you? If so, well, sorry, I'm not going to... but listen to it again. They're three verses(in fragment forthought) following the same time signature/vocal melody, same goes for the two chorus'.

I don't know if this is going to help you find what you're looking for, but hopefully you're satisfied.

(to be honest, i was trying to capture the Elvis-PTC-Demos type of mood. the whole 'one-take' extravaganza approach)
Last edited by wehitandrun on Tue May 04, 2004 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Jackson Monk wrote:I think they're dead catchy. I've been humming all of them for days. They're like a cross between PIL and The Associates.

It's all in the hook baby.
Jackson!

Could this be our hugging time?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Quick someone, get a camera - I think WHAR and Jackson have learned to play nice. :o :D
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

:lol: :lol:

Look....I don't want to be a hypocrite and claim to be into WHAR's musical thang. I actually found it strangely compelling to listen to, but I ain't gonna be buying the album or anything. It made me laugh out loud several times and I'm pretty sure that that wasn't WHARs intention.

However, from small acorns grow large oaks and all that. The first album by Blur was absolutely awful. WHAR could be the next Damon Albarn.

Whatever I think of WHAR's songs, I totally defend his right to make them and good luck to him for having the balls to do so. 8)
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

And for having the balls to put them out in the world, I might add.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Keep at it, and good luck...
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Thanks a lot you guys, that's really awesome to say.

I understand that these songs aren't that good, but I've been trying to keep things in perspective. If any of you heard the "Riot Act" cover I attempted- that was ATROCIOUS, and I feel that these are a huge step up from that... especially considering I'm using pretty much the same equipment as I did for "Riot Act".

Now, I'm not gonna gonna try and say that the studio is everything, but if I ever get the opportunity to professionally record... I think it'll be more of an ear pleaser. I'm saving up for a new home studio, so I can record some new demos. I've been hoping to find a band to turn the music into something much better.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

You can actually do a lot with home recordings... all you need is a decent microphone, a decent soundcard, and studio software.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

With all due admiration for the effort, the courage, and the strength to build these demo's, I will weigh in by saying I think the songs are terrible and have no commercial appeal whatsover.

Best of luck to you.

Don't quit your day job.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I'm not looking for commercial appeal. I don't expect to step into my bedroom and record a hit album, Mr Average.

Keep your opinions to yourself, please. You obviously don't understand the point.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

:lol: :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Jackson, you laugh too much. I don't know if that is a flaw, but it's certaintly an observation.

The point I was trying to make, Mr. Average, was that I'm not in Nashville recording "Almost Blue". This isn't meant to be complete songs to be released to a commercial audience. These are simple, stripped down acoustic songs... that hopefully a band will take to task some day.

And, well, this is my day job, so thanks for the advice.
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

Uh oh, things are getting spoogey :)
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

"Spoogey" must be one of the coolest words ever.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Then you should strongly consider getting a night job, WHAR.
Last edited by Mr. Average on Thu May 06, 2004 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Laughter is a good tonic etc.....
corruptio optimi pessima
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

I really think you're all coming down on this kid unfairly.

And no, I am not him.

At least he's trying.

I'm a failed 40 year old songwriter, and I believe you gotta give everybody out there a chance.

It took Elvis a few years to find his voice. I personally dread listening to the early stuff like Wave a White Flag, but look what it eventually resulted in.

Look at Kurt Cobain's journals. Alot of sophmoric crap. But it only takes one Nevermind, or In Utero to change the face of music.

Time will tell WHAR, but if you listen to anybody but yourself at this point, you're doomed.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

hmmmmm.....*strokes chin with suspicion*

Personally I'd rather listen to 'Wave a White Flag' a million times over than anything by Nirvana.
corruptio optimi pessima
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Something tells me Jackson missed both points you were making, claire.

Thankyou very much for the kind words. No worries, I'm trying to follow the vision my muse has set for me, I'm not too worried about the harsh opposition.

If I go into a real studio, and pay the big bucks, then it may hurt a nudge more. :D
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

LOLOLOLOLOLOOL.........you might at least make some effort to change the writing style...... :roll:
corruptio optimi pessima
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

No, I like the writing style. If it changed, then that change will come naturally.

Aw, I thought you liked the lyrics. Was that sarcasm, too?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I wasn't referring to your tunes WHAR. I've already offered you my support there. Never mind..
corruptio optimi pessima
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Methinks C. Quilty = Cbartal
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Pouquoi? Can't C. Bartal be C. Bartal?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I added a nice little part to "(fragment for thought)", as well as an organ part to the music.

"(fragment for thought)"
. copyright kevin scampoli 2004

(sequence the first)
He hastily stamps his letter shut with the candle wax of depression.
"If he could, he would sing it. But, he sounds like an imitation..."
Immaturity reserved for immaturity.
"... on second thought, you're a joke."
Like a bad taste in my mouth, I'll brush you away with my tool to fix musical hygeine.

It's all in the hook.
'Cause when you hook 'em, then you got 'em, now all you gotta do it fuck 'em, it's all in the hook.

(sequence the third)
When left home alone, he locks all of his doors, and he snorts until he hears rainbows.
After searching his entire life for a punch line, he's accepted the universe is endless.
Immaturity reserved for immaturity.
"... on second thought, you're a joke."
Like a bad taste in my mouth, I'll brush you away with my tool to fix musical hygeine.

I'm begging you- make my mind a radio you can listen to. All you'll need is an ultra fine point Sharpie, the antenna to my reality.

(sequence the second)
Upon hearing the doorbell he jumps in a seismic fright.
After signing for the letter that he sent himself, he contemplated his station in life.
Immaturity reserved for immaturity, and without the benefit of hindsight.

In his honest voice: "She plays the organ..." With a smile: "... she plays with mine too."