EC plays "Inside Llewyn Davis" concert, NYC, Sep. 29, 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

EC plays "Inside Llewyn Davis" concert, NYC, Sep. 29, 2013

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.insidellewyndavis.com/us/concert

EC is a surprise guest.

Twitter:
Elvis Costello comes out to sing PLEASE Mr. Kennedy with Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac #outerspace http://pic.twitter.com/QLPWhAATxL
"Mr. Timberlake couldn't be here tonight, so parts will be sung by his understudy, Mr. Elvis Costello." (No joke!)
Elvis Costello, Adam Driver, T-Bone, Punch Bros. "Please Mr. Kennedy" from sndtrk. http://pic.twitter.com/fXn3wrcTrq
Five Hundred Miles avec Carey Mulligan, Elvis Costello et Stark Sands ‪@InsideLlewyn‬ ‪#ny‬ Sublime! http://‪pic.twitter.com/0oyCEw94rJ‬
aww Carey Mulligan & Elvis Costello "a 100 miles". Murcus Mumford should help her!!! ‪@InsideLlewyn‬ http://‪pic.twitter.com/tX5c9EQgCF‬
Now Elvis Costello and Joan Baez http://‪pic.twitter.com/3Ypfgdi6YJ‬
Joan Baez duetting with Marcus Mumford and Elvis Costello now. Gonna see if I can step up next.
And No Coffee Table

Re: EC plays "Inside Llewyn Davis" concert, NYC, Sep. 29, 20

"Showtime will broadcast the concert Friday, Dec. 13, at 9 p.m. ET/PT."

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/25/showt ... s-concert/
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review in The Washington Post

Elvis Costello, Marcus Mumford, others perform at show celebrating ‘Inside Llewyn Davis’ music

NEW YORK — When Justin Timberlake couldn’t make Sunday’s concert celebrating the music of the new Coen Brother’s movie, “Inside Llewyn Davis,” master of ceremonies John Goodman told the crowd Timberlake’s understudy would perform instead.

Then he introduced Elvis Costello.

“Heaven knows when you think Justin, you think of me,” Costello joked with the Town Hall crowd.

Then Costello introduced his understudy, famed music producer T-Bone Burnett.

Replete with his trademark glasses, Burnett performed rousing backup vocals on “Please, Mr. Kennedy.” Timberlake’s character sings that song in the film about the New York folk music scene in the 1960s.

Burnett acted as the project’s executive music producer, just as he did for the music from the Grammy-winning “O Brother, Where Art Thou.”

Another Day, Another Time: Celebrating the Music of “Inside Llewyn Davis” included music inspired by the film from a host of folk artists, old and new. Among them were the Avett Brothers, Punch Brothers, Marcus Mumford, Patti Smith, Joan Baez and others. Stars from the film also performed, including Carrie Mulligan, Oscar Isaac (he plays the title role), and Stark Sands.

Before the show, director Joel Coen was milling around the lobby and during intermission his wife Frances McDormand was by his side. When asked how he felt the concert was going, he simply replied: “Good.”

Scott Rudin, the film’s producer, was a bit more outgoing. Holding court before the show in the lobby, he appeared like a proud father at a wedding reception. During intermission, Rudin had a huge smile while standing at center aisle.

He spoke briefly to the Associated Press about the show.

“Loving it, it’s a blast,” Rudin beemed.

He’s well aware of the success of “O Brother Where Art Thou,” which won a Grammy in 2002 for Album of the Year.

But Rudin doesn’t want to jump to conclusions.

“Oh, I don’t know, it’s all this movie,” Rudin said of the evening’s festivities.

He added: “It’s going great. I’m very proud of it. Very excited. T-Bone did an incredible job, don’t you think? And the second half is insane.”

Rudin was right on the mark as Jack White opened with a three-song set that was followed by one of the more inspiring performances of the night by Rhiannon Giddens that brought some of the crowd to its feet.

Standout performances included Decemberist’s frontman Colin Meloy covering a song he thought was a ghost story, bringing out Joan Baez to perform “Joe Hill” with him. Baez performed the song at Woodstock.

Patti Smith covered “Babe, I’m Gonna Leave You,” recorded in 1963 by Baez, and made famous to rock fans a decade later by Led Zeppelin.

Costello, Sands, and Mulligan backed by the Punch Brothers performed a spirited version of the traditional folk song, “500 Miles.”

Celebrity guests included Glenn Close, Jesse Eisenberg and Paul Rudd.

“Inside LLewyn Davis” won the Grand Prix Award at the Cannes Film Festival, and made its U.S. debut Saturday at the New York Film Festival. It opens in the U.S. in December. The soundtrack is available on November 12.

As for the show, Mumford and Mulligan, who’s in the film, performed several times throughout the evening, though there was not a Mumford and Wife moment. The couple was married last year.

While not addressing his wife, the Mumford and Sons frontman did say the night had “so many OMG moments.”

MOOT
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

T-Bone on the red carpet:

And No Coffee Table

http://twitter.com/ImposterSpeaks/statu ... 2396599296
The Imposter wrote:Brand new words to Florence Reece's theme and eternal question sung with Joan Baez at Town Hall last night http://bit.ly/18jcx5k
"Broadside '13"

Which Side Are You On?

Come all ye gathered round here
And listen while you can
To the voice of every woman
The conflicted heart of man

Which Side Are You On?

My Daddy was a soldier
And I'm a soldier's child
But the dream of peace
And the urge to fight
Just can't be reconciled

Which Side Are You On?

They say stand up for justice
And where we drew the line
And you can do the killing
Because we don't have the spine

Which Side Are You On?

I read all ten commandments
Our parade of sins and tricks
I think one said, "Thou shalt not kill"
But it's only Number Six

Which Side Are You On?

They kill us while we're sleeping
They kill us overhead
But I can't pay my grocery bill
Or keep my children fed

So suffer little children
And never spare the rod
Do we kill and keep on killing
Until we're understood?

Which Side Are You On?

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/broadside-13/490
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

'Inside Llewyn Davis' concert at NYC's Town Hall celebrates folk music

By Randall Roberts Los Angeles Times Pop Music Critic
September 30, 2013, 8:15 a.m.

NEW YORK -- Early during the magnificent tribute to folk music at Town Hall while much of America was learning the fate of "Breaking Bad's" Walter White, actor John Goodman welcomed the capacity crowd to a night of reckoning devoted to what he called "weeping and wailing and sowing and reaping."

Performing folk songs from the canon, many of which are featured in the forthcoming Coen brothers film "Inside Llewyn Davis" and its soundtrack, what followed on Sunday night was three-plus hours focused on hard truths and tested faith, on doubt, death and, of course, rocket ships to the moon.

A movie set in the Greenwich Village folk scene of the early 1960s, "Inside Llewyn Davis" features music curated by T Bone Burnett, and though the night bore his imprimatur, it was the artists who burned.

Specifically: Joan Baez, Patti Smith, Jack White, Gillian Welch & David Rawlings, the Punch Brothers, Elvis Costello, Marcus Mumford, the Milk Carton Kids -- take a breath, because the lineup was packed with talent -- Oscar Isaac, the Avett Bros., Conor Oberst, Secret Sisters, Willie Watson, the Carolina Chocolate Drops, Rhiannon Giddens and more delivered sharpened songs on acoustic instruments, singing in pitch perfect tone that left an oft-awestruck audience silently stunned -- then vocally thrilled.

One by one they came, drawn to a stage that over the years has supported some of the greats. It was Bob Dylan's gig at Town Hall 50 years ago, for example, that prompted the New York Times' Robert Shelton to write a rave that helped propel the erstwhile troubadour to stardom.

The Punch Brothers, led by Chris Thile, greeted the crowd with a languid version of "Tumblin' Tumbleweeds," then transitioned into the evening's backing band. Mandolin, banjo, bass, guitar and fiddle, the portable instruments that have carried the music through the decades, drove voices consumed by the spirit of hand-me-down folk.

"Hang me, oh hang me, and I'll be dead and gone," sang Isaac in "Hang Me, Oh Hang Me." The singer and actor plays the titular character in "Inside Llewyn Davis," and the song opens and closes the film. Loosely based on the late singer Dave Van Ronk, "Davis" focuses on the plight of a struggling singer to prove his gift to an often hard and unforgiving world. Isaac's portrayal succeeds because he's such a talented musician.

The night's narrative was driven by something more elusive than plot, though, and the wonder was divided equally between the songs themselves and the many thrilling interpretations. I don't know if I've ever been in a room with so many humans with perfect pitch. Notes soared with pure vocal and instrumental virtuosity as young voices embodied ancient emotions.

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings channeled the Carter Family for "Will the Circle Be Unbroken," a deathly ode to eternal bliss featuring dueling guitar and mandolin solos. Actor/singer Stark Sands, who plays an earnest Southern singer in the film, offered the sweet folk-pop song "Last Thing on My Mind." Lake Street Dive highlighted magnetic vocalist Rachael Price, drawing from folk and jazz for "Go Down Smooth."

Over and over, the boldfaced names proved their status. Jack White delivered a typically raw and honest version of "My Mama's Baby Child," a song over the years interpreted by artists including Bukka White and Lightnin' Hopkins. He also offered one of the evening's sweetest moments, in his song with the White Stripes, "We're Going to Be Friends." Marcus Mumford's rendition of "I Was Young When I Left Home" was utterly heartbreaking: honest, real and without pretense.

Joan Baez, who has graced this stage on any number of occasions, was greeted with a hero's welcome by audience and musicians, and her performance of "Joe Hill" with Colin Meloy and Gillian Welch brought the old days into the present. Her version of "House of the Rising Sun" also was haunting. Patti Smith honored Baez, and the pair teamed for a rendition of Smith's "People Have the Power."

Amid a night of so many peaks, though, one raucous moment stood out: Elvis Costello, who was serving as Justin Timberlake's understudy, did a rendition of one of the highlights of "Inside Llewyn Davis." Called "Please Mr. Kennedy," the song is performed in the movie by Timberlake, Isaac and actor Adam Driver, and is a quick-tempoed time capsule to 1962 that features lines about rocket ships.

Onstage, Costello pleaded with the new president in song while Driver, best known for his role as Lena Dunham's off-and-on boyfriend in "Girls," offered wickedly funny harmonies: rocket sounds, lip-blubbers, meteoric accents. Combined with the Punch Brothers' backing, it was a joyous romp amid all the tragedy.

The only quibble was an omission. Though the evening was a celebration of folk music, it was also a benefit concert for the National Recording Preservation Foundation, a nonprofit whose mission is to "preserve and make accessible the recorded history of the United States." It's a noble, incredibly important cultural cause, and though the proceeds of the show will go to the organization, the mission wasn't mentioned during the concert. That was a shame, because the argument of the music's importance was utterly convincing on Sunday.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Inside The Star-Studded Inside Llewyn Davis Concert

Written by Jonathan Bernstein September 30th, 2013 at 9:39 am

“This is a show about how folk music gets reinvented” explained actor Garrett Hedlund midway through the three-hour roots music marathon Sunday night at Town Hall. The performance, titled Another Day, Another Time, was produced and organized by Americana mastermind T-Bone Burnett. Burnett recruited a wide-ranging cast of artists, spanning genres and generations, to perform at Town Hall. With such a varied mix of musical traditions to draw from, the lifeblood of the show, which was dynamic, and at times amorphous, was collaboration and community. The music performed at Town Hall felt shared, with musician pairings likely and unexpected persisting as the main thread throughout the evening.

The premise for the concert was Inside Llewyn Davis, the new film from the Coen Brothers which captures the insular dignity, triumph and tragedy of the Greenwich Village folk community in the late 50’s and early 60’s. The movie, which is in some ways the musical sequel to Oh Brother, Where Art Thou is deeply rooted in the music of Dave Van Ronk and his contemporaries, which provided the musical backbone of Burnett’s Town Hall production.

The main takeaway point of Sunday night’s show, which also served as a benefit for The National Recording Preservation Foundation, was folk’s flexibility. The performances often defied time, particularly in the first half of the evening, when Americana’s new guard played new, original material right alongside well-worn standards. Some of the night’s most exciting revelations could be found in that space between the new and the old, when lesser-known acts like Milk Carton Kids and Secret Sisters performed material that had the crowd guessing at whether it was the latter or the former. On Sunday night, old standards were reborn anew, and fresh compositions aged decades on stage. Conor Oberst turned Ian Tyson’s Canadian folk anthem “Four Strong Winds” into a pained, bleeding Bright Eyes single, while Lake Street Dive’s 2011 “You Go Down Smooth” came across as an well-aged jazz standard.

The second half of the show was anchored by legend and tradition in the hands of big personalities. Whether in Jack White’s blues revivalism, in Patti Smith’s mystic folk poetry, or Marcus Mumford’s early 60’s Dylan reimagining, the American music presented in the latter half tended more towards the more specific traditional folk aesthetics portrayed in the Coen Brothers’ film. Joan Baez, the bill’s eldest states(wo)man and undisputed legend of the evening, presided over many of the night’s collaborations, while the Punch Brothers, the young bluegrass modernists who have become Americana fixtures, served as the evening’s de-facto house band, accompanying roughly half of all performances throughout the show.

Almost three hours after the show’s start, Marcus Mumford and Oscar Isaac, who plays the lead role in Inside Llewyn Davis, began singing “Fare Thee Well (Dink’s Song), the movie’s quasi theme song. Twelve years after T-Bone Burnett reintroduced traditional American music to the masses, “Dink’s Song” was suddenly and instantly contemporary, not unlike so much of the commercial acoustic pop music that has emerged over the last several years. Mumford, that genre’s figurehead, then launched into “Farewell,” a previously unreleased song from Bob Dylan, who began forever merging folk and pop shortly after the Coen Brothers’ film ends. “We’ll meet another day, another time,” Mumford sang, but that wish had already been fulfilled.

Setlist:

“Tumbling Tumbleweeds”- The Punch Brothers
“Rye Whiskey”- The Punch Brothers
“Will The Circle Be Unbroken”- Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings with The Punch Brothers
“That’s The Way It Goes”- Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings
“Midnight Special”- Willie Watson with Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings
“I Hear Them All/This Land Is Your Land”- Dave Rawlings with Gillian Welch and Willie Watson
“The Last Thing On My Mind”- Stark Sands with The Punch Brothers
“New York”- The Milk Carton Kids
“Tomorrow Will Be Kinder”- The Secret Sisters
“You Go Down Smooth”- Lake Street Dive
“Please, Mr. Kennedy”- Elvis Costello with Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver, T-Bone Burnett and The Punch Brothers
“Four Strong Winds”- Conor Oberst with Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings
“A Man Named Truth”- Conor Oberst with Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings
“Tomorrow Is A Long Time”- Keb’ Mo’
“Blues Run The Game”- Colin Meloy
“I Dreamed I Saw Joe Hill Last Night”- Joan Baez, Colin Meloy, and Gillian Welch
“All My Mistakes”- The Avett Brothers
“That’s How I Got To Memphis”- The Avett Brothers
“Road Full Of Doubt/Head Full Of Promise”- The Avett Brothers

Intermission

“Did You Hear John Hurt?”- Jack White
“We’re Going To Be Friends”- Jack White
“Water Boy”- Rhiannon Giddens
“S’iomadh Rid The Dhith Om / Ciamar A Ni Mi” – Rhiannon Giddens with The Punch Brothers
“Hang Me, Oh Hang Me”- Oscar Isaac with The Punch Brothers
“Green, Green Rocky Road”- Oscar Isaac
“Babe I’m Gonna Leave You”- Patti Smith
“People Have The Power”- Patti Smith with Joan Baez, The Avett Brothers, Dave Rawlings, and Lake Street Dive
“Rock Salt and Nails”- Bob Neuwirth with The Punch Brothers
“The Auld Triangle”- The Punch Brothers with Marcus Mumford
“Go To Sleep, Little Baby”- Gillian Welch, Carey Mulligan, and Rhiannon Giddens
“500 Miles”- Elvis Costello, Carey Mulligan and Stark Sands with The Punch Brothers and Secret Sisters
“Which Side Are You On?”- Elvis Costello and Joan Baez
“House Of The Rising Sun”- Joan Baez
“Give Me Cornbread When I’m Hungry”- Joan Baez and Marcus Mumford
“I Was Young When I Left Home”- Marcus Mumford
“Fare Thee Well (Dink’s Song)”- Marcus Mumford and Oscar Isaac with The Punch Brothers
“Farewell”- Marcus Mumford with The Punch Brothers
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

clip of "Please Mr. Kennedy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzU8mz3eqTc

dave
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

'Another Day, Another Time' concert strums up fitting folk tribute for Coen Brothers' 'Inside Llewyn Davis'
Marcus Mumford, Joan Baez, Elvis Costello and Jack White join Carey Mulligan in a mostly on-key tribute to movie's '60s musical vibe at NYC's Town Hall.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Monday, September 30, 2013, 1:23 PM

A quiet revolution took place at Town Hall on Sunday.

For over three hours, scores of singers and musicians - some young, some old, several obscure, but many more well-known - did their best to evoke a very specific period in American folk.

A few of the stars dated from the period in question (the ‘60s), including Joan Baez and Bob Neuwirth. Others arose in the next decade, and from an opposing genre — like Patti Smith and Elvis Costello. But the majority of the pickers and strummers made their name in the last decade, including The Decemberists’ Colin Meloy, Gillian Welsh, Jack White, Colin Oberst and the Avett Brothers.

All gathered for a show called “Another Day, Another Time,” which toasted the music, and milieu, of the forthcoming movie from Joel and Ethan Coen, “Inside Llewyn Davis.” The flick, which opens December 6th, tells the story of a Bleecker Street troubadour from the ‘60s, vaguely based on the life of Dave Van Ronk.

Essentially, the movie, and its forthcoming soundtrack, mean to do for the Greenwich Village folk scene of fifty years ago what the Cohen’s “O Brother, Where Art Thou” did for old timey, acoustic music of an even earlier era.

Stars from the movie were on hand to encourage, and sometimes warble along, including Carey Mulligan, Stark Sands, Adam Driver, and, as jaunty MC, John Goodman. The generous, three-hour show was taped for a Showtime special, to debut December 13th at 9 p.m.

The tone and volume of the performances provided a striking contrast to the “folk” style currently raging on the charts. While million-selling bands like Mumford and Sons, The Lumineers, and Of Monsters and Men perform acoustic music on steroids, pounding their mandolins, and sawing on their fiddles, like they were electric guitars, here the players adopted an almost painfully intimate and close approach.

The house band, the versatile Punch Brothers, kept most of their inflections delicate, savoring the nuances of their chord-changes and melodies rather than hammering them home. The light touch of the playing, and often of the singing, contrasted the songs’ sometimes dire subjects. Drawing from “old timey music,” the acoustic anthems of the ‘60s frequently featured themes of death, hardship and lost love.

Gillian Welsh long ago proved herself a master of the morose. She’s music’s answer to the woman in Grant Wood’s painting “American Gothic.” Her sorrowful, but stalwart, singing paired ideally with the resilient guitar fills and leads of frequent partner David Rawlings.

The show featured many classic folk tunes, including Welsh and Rawlings on “Will The Circle Be Unbroken,” a valiant Willie Watson soaring through “Midnight Special,” and repeated takes on “500 Miles.”

Some of the least known performers made the deepest impression. The harmonies of the Secret Sisters had a roundness and buoyancy that glowed, while The Milk Carton Kids took the dynamic of Simon and Garfunkel and made it their own. Rihannon Giddens, of Carolina Chocolate Drops, offered an Odetta-like, blues hollar on “Water Boy,” electrifying the room, while the band known as Lake Street Dive offered the night’s wild card. Their lead singer (Rachel Price) has the soulful howl of a young Etta James.

The Avett Brothers closed out the first half of the long night with a heart-breaking take on Tom T. Hall’s “How I Got To Memphis.”

Elvis Costello provided the evening’s surprise. He hadn’t been advertised for the show. He served as a wry “understudy” for Justin Timberlake, who performs in the film but who had a conflicting date on Sunday.

“When you think of Justin Timberlake, you automatically think of me,” Costello cracked.

Then he reminded listeners that ‘60s folk also prized novelty numbers, including one here which ranks on then President Kennedy’s space program (“Please Mr. Kennedy”).

Later, Costello sang “500 Miles,” with a verse served up by actress Mulligan. She sounded far less sure on-stage than she does in the studio take.

Costello also performed with Joan Baez on the political “Which Side Are You On.”

While 72-year-old Baez served as the night’s unofficial spiritual advisor and most looming icon, her voice has lost much of its vibrato and luster. Even so, her persona made her a formidable presence in songs like her duet with Patti Smith on “Babe, I’m Gonna Leave You.”

Smith put in her own political two cents with a version of her “People Have The Power,” joined by many in the evening’s sprawling cast.

Given his status as the biggest star of the hour, Marcus Mumford got to close the night. Happily, he did so in a style that inverted his usual approach. Contrasted his common bombastic style, Mumford delivered his take on “500 Miles,” with both subtlety and invention. He slowed the beat, and changed the melody, stressing the night’s most enduring message - that classic American folk can always be made new.

jfarber@nydailynews.com
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... ewyn-davis

Elvis Costello, Marcus Mumford Lead Night of 'OMG Moments' at 'Inside llewyn Davis' Concert

When Justin Timberlake couldn't make Sunday's concert celebrating the music of the new Coen Brother's movie, "Inside Llewyn Davis," master of ceremonies John Goodman told the crowd Timberlake's understudy would perform instead.

Then he introduced Elvis Costello.

"Heaven knows when you think Justin, you think of me," Costello joked with the Town Hall crowd.

Then Costello introduced his understudy, famed music producer T-Bone Burnett.

Replete with his trademark glasses, Burnett performed rousing backup vocals on "Please, Mr. Kennedy." Timberlake's character sings that song in the film about the New York folk music scene in the 1960s.

Burnett acted as the project's executive music producer, just as he did for the music from the Grammy-winning "O Brother, Where Art Thou."

Another Day, Another Time: Celebrating the Music of "Inside Llewyn Davis" included music inspired by the film from a host of folk artists, old and new. Among them were the Avett Brothers, Punch Brothers, Marcus Mumford, Patti Smith, Joan Baez and others. Stars from the film also performed, including Carrie Mulligan, Oscar Isaac (he plays the title role), and Stark Sands.

Before the show, director Joel Coen was milling around the lobby and during intermission his wife Frances McDormand was by his side. When asked how he felt the concert was going, he simply replied: "Good."

Scott Rudin, the film's producer, was a bit more outgoing. Holding court before the show in the lobby, he appeared like a proud father at a wedding reception. During intermission, Rudin had a huge smile while standing at center aisle.

He spoke briefly to the Associated Press about the show.

"Loving it, it's a blast," Rudin beemed.

He's well aware of the success of "O Brother Where Art Thou," which won a Grammy in 2002 for Album of the Year.

But Rudin doesn't want to jump to conclusions.

"Oh, I don't know, it's all this movie," Rudin said of the evening's festivities.

He added: "It's going great. I'm very proud of it. Very excited. T-Bone did an incredible job, don't you think? And the second half is insane."

Rudin was right on the mark as Jack White opened with a three-song set that was followed by one of the more inspiring performances of the night by Rhiannon Giddens that brought some of the crowd to its feet.

Standout performances included Decemberist's frontman Colin Meloy covering a song he thought was a ghost story, bringing out Joan Baez to perform "Joe Hill" with him. Baez performed the song at Woodstock.

Patti Smith covered "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You," recorded in 1963 by Baez, and made famous to rock fans a decade later by Led Zeppelin.

Costello, Sands, and Mulligan backed by the Punch Brothers performed a spirited version of the traditional folk song, "500 Miles."

Celebrity guests included Glenn Close, Jesse Eisenberg and Paul Rudd.

"Inside LLewyn Davis" won the Grand Prix Award at the Cannes Film Festival, and made its U.S. debut Saturday at the New York Film Festival. It opens in the U.S. in December. The soundtrack is available on November 12.

As for the show, Mumford and Mulligan, who's in the film, performed several times throughout the evening, though there was not a Mumford and Wife moment. The couple was married last year.

While not addressing his wife, the Mumford and Sons frontman did say the night had "so many OMG moments."
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

sweetest punch wrote:"Heaven knows when you think Justin, you think of me," Costello joked with the Town Hall crowd.
It wouldn't be the first time.

FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

"500 Miles" is in here somewhere...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K15nU5a6 ... onQLwecdKA

dave
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Thanks for the lovely 2 Costello clip-links ...
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
docinwestchester

FAVEHOUR wrote:"500 Miles" is in here somewhere...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K15nU5a6 ... onQLwecdKA

dave
EC hits the stage at 2:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K15nU5a6Qek#t=2m40s
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review in Variety .

"Joan Baez, Patti Smith, Carey Mulligan, Oscar Isaac Celebrate the Music of ‘Inside Llewyn Davis’

One-night only concert benefits National Recording Preservation Foundation

Scott Foundas
Chief Film Critic
@foundasonfilm

“The Great Folk Scare” is how the late singer-songwriter Dave Van Ronk jokingly referred to the 1960s American folk music revival. But there was nothing to fear Sept. 29 at Manhattan’s Town Hall, where a who’s-who of folkies past and present gathered to celebrate the sounds of the Coen Brothers’ “Inside Llewyn Davis.” Entitled “Another Day, Another Time” (after a lyric from Bob Dylan’s “Farewell”), the all-acoustic three-hour concert was organized by the Coens and their longtime music supervisor, Grammy-winner T Bone Burnett, as a benefit for the nonprofit National Recording Preservation Foundation, which preserves and archives historically significant audio recordings from America’s past.

The star-studded lineup, which ran the gamut from folk legends Joan Baez and Bob Neuwirth to rockers Patti Smith and Elvis Costello and latter-day folk/country acts like Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, drew a suitably star-studded crowd including Glenn Close, Jesse Eisenberg, John Cameron Mitchell, Tim Blake Nelson, Julianne Moore and Paul Rudd. But true to the democratic spirit of the music on display, and of The Town Hall itself (built in the 1921 as a forum for poetry readings and political discourse), the night was just as much about the discovery of auspicious new talent, who received equal billing and equal time at the mic.

Set in Greenwich Village in 1961 in the days just before Bob Dylan’s arrival on the scene, the Coens’ film follows a Van Ronk-like troubadour (Oscar Isaac) who has the talent but not that intangible something extra required to make it in the music business. Isaac and co-stars Carey Mulligan, Justin Timberlake, Adam Driver and Stark Sands did their own singing and playing in the film, recorded live on set (a la “Les Miserables”). All (save for the absent Timberlake) flexed their vocal muscles again on stage Sunday night.

As on the “Llewyn Davis” soundtrack, Brooklyn bluegrass quintet The Punch Brothers reprised their duties as house band, kicking things off with their spin of the Sons of the Pioneers’ “Tumbling Tumbleweeds” — a song, emcee John Goodman later noted, not heard in the Coens’ new film (but rather in “The Big Lebowski,” which marked the directors’ first collaboration with Burnett). Welch and Rawlings followed with lovely versions of the traditional hymn “Will the Circle Be Unbroken?” and Welch’s “The Way It Goes,” before being joined by ex-Old Crown Medicine Show frontman Willie Watson for a barnstorming rendition of “Midnight Special.”

Another “Llewyn Davis” cast member, Garrett Hedlund, introduced three up-and-coming acts: the Milk Carton Kids, Secret Sisters and Boston soul/folk/jazz quartet Lake Street Dive, whose “You Go Down Smooth” brought down the house with lead singer Rachael Price’s husky, powerhouse vocal. Announced as Timberlake’s “understudy” for the evening, Costello then entered with Isaac, Driver and Burnett for a spirited “Please, Mr. Kennedy,” the lone original composition on the “Llewyn Davis” soundtrack.

Among other first-act highlights: Decemberists singer Colin Meloy joined Baez and Welch for “Joe Hill,” while The Avett Brothers brought things to a finish with a three-song set capped by the rousing “Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise.”

After intermission, Jack White showed his unplugged side on a cover of Tom Paxton’s “Did You Hear John Hurt?” and his own “We’re Going to Be Friends.” Then Smith, looking resplendent in black and denim, her long stringy hair falling every which way about her, lent her plaintive voice to Anne Bredon’s “Babe, I’m Gonna Leave You,” a song she said she imagined Mulligan’s “Llewyn Davis” character “sitting back, smoking a cigarette and listening to,” much as she first heard it herself, covered by Baez, whom Smith hailed as the “undisputed humble and pure queen” for “the disenfranchised mavericks of 1963.”

In a wonderful cross-generational melange, The Avett Brothers, Lake Street Dive, Baez and Rawlings flanked Smith for a moving version of her activist rock anthem “People Have the Power,” prompting the singer to remark, “All these people…I don’t even know who half of them are!”

Marcus Mumford, heard but not seen in the Coens’ film as the title character’s deceased singing partner, went a capella with the Punch Brothers on “The Auld Triangle” (a song recorded by everyone from Dylan to The Pogues) in gorgeous six-part harmony. Mumford also played Kleenex-box drums to accompany Baez on “Give Me Cornbread When I’m Hungry” and dueted with Isaac on “Dink’s Song,” the traditional folk ballad first recorded by musicologist John Lomax in the early 1900s that becomes a haunting refrain in the Coens’ film.

But the breakout star of the evening’s second half was indisputably Rhiannon Giddens, lead singer for the North Carolina string band Carolina Chocolate Drops, who held the capacity crowd spellbound with the folk standard “Jack of Diamonds” and a medley of two Gaelic-language traditionals.

At the mellow after party at the Bowery Hotel, “Llewyn Davis” producer Scott Rudin said the concert was “like watching the whole history of an art form unfold in front of you,” while visibly moved CBS Films co-prexy Terry Press added, simply, “I can die now.”

“Those musicians are profound,” said Burnett, who admitted to being in tears for much of the show. “To see everyone putting out that level of generosity was just incredible.” The long tall Texan also had special praise for Giddens, whom he likened to seeing Dolly Parton in one of her seminal early performances at The Roxy in L.A.

As the night wore on, Baez could be found still singing her heart out in the Bowery courtyard, backed up by Giddens (also, it turns out, a mean fiddle player) and others on impromptu performances of “Long Black Veil” and “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.”

Like the hugely successful “Down From the Mountain” tour spawned by the soundtrack to “O Brother, Where Art Thou?,” Burnett is optimistic about the possibilities of taking “Another Day, Another Time” on the road. An edited, 90-minute version of the Town Hall performance will also be broadcast on Showtime on Dec. 13, one week after “Inside Llewyn Davis” opens in limited release."

MOOT
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

DAMN!!! 500 MILES removed! DOC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! help...i LOVE this song.
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:DAMN!!! 500 MILES removed! DOC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! help...i LOVE this song.
I don't have it, but we'll have a nice pro shot version after it airs on Showtime in December.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yes, but from a post above it looks like it will only be a 90 minute broadcast. hope all three EC songs make the cut and not the cutting room floor. is this show shared at dime by any chance doc? this one was SO under the radar, even ANCT did not post about it until the day after. :o :o wish we went. looks like a great Americana night was had by all.
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:yes, but from a post above it looks like it will only be a 90 minute broadcast. hope all three EC songs make the cut and not the cutting room floor. is this show shared at dime by any chance doc? this one was SO under the radar, even ANCT did not post about it until the day after. :o :o wish we went. looks like a great Americana night was had by all.
No bootleg recording yet. Who knew?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:yes, but from a post above it looks like it will only be a 90 minute broadcast. hope all three EC songs make the cut and not the cutting room floor. is this show shared at dime by any chance doc? this one was SO under the radar, even ANCT did not post about it until the day after. :o :o wish we went. looks like a great Americana night was had by all.
No bootleg recording yet. Who knew?
apparently none of us! :lol: if i saw this bill, i imagine i would have rolled the dice. but, never once heard a peep about this show.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

320kps audio of above EC '500 Miles' allegedly on Soulseek even as I write ...

Ditto 'Please Mr....'

Joan collaboration - still not there ...

And reportedly Soulseek most UK mornings too.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Mojo review
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Lovely to hear 'Which side are you on' 2013-11-11 at last via e.g. Soulseek.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

The concert special premieres on Showtime Friday, Dec. 13 at 10 pm.

Dave