EC plays "Inside Llewyn Davis" concert, NYC, Sep. 29, 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
docinwestchester

Re: EC plays "Inside Llewyn Davis" concert, NYC, Sep. 29, 20

Post by docinwestchester »

FAVEHOUR wrote:The concert special premieres on Showtime Friday, Dec. 13 at 10 pm.

Dave
Thanks for the heads up. TiVo is programmed.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

'The best thing I've heard all year' Mojo, Jan '14
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Carey Mulligan on Jimmy Kimmel Live, talks briefly about singing with EC -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z79C1xv13rw
docinwestchester

The Showtime concert show tonight was really good except for one small detail....

NO ELVIS!

Very disappointed.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Yes, quite a shock. As we got down to 28 minutes, 15, 12...I started to realize this might be the case.

A great show, wish I had been there, a great broadcast as well. But disappointing! Why did they make that You Tube poster take down her videos of EC if they weren't going to use the footage themselves? Weird. Maybe they have other plans? I mean, 500 Miles and Please Mr. Kennedy are integral to the film's plot, from what I gather....maybe I should tape the movie profile that came after this show on Showtime..

Dave
docinwestchester

FAVEHOUR wrote:Yes, quite a shock. As we got down to 28 minutes, 15, 12...I started to realize this might be the case.

A great show, wish I had been there, a great broadcast as well. But disappointing! Why did they make that You Tube poster take down her videos of EC if they weren't going to use the footage themselves? Weird. Maybe they have other plans? I mean, 500 Miles and Please Mr. Kennedy are integral to the film's plot, from what I gather....maybe I should tape the movie profile that came after this show on Showtime..

Dave
I'm recording it now, Dave. It's about the movie, not the concert.

Oh well...
docinwestchester

Coincidentally (?), the 2 audience videos with EC are back on YouTube:

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

great doc...will you make mp3's of these two complete songs please? or i guess i can. but, then i don't know how to share as you do. i think the third song was NEVER up at youtube. 2 out of 3 ain't bad, though it would be nice to see/hear him sing with Ms. Baez. however, at least we got to see him do that song in Port Chester one night i think it was.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review ... ide-665299

Another Day, Another Time: Celebrating the Music of 'Inside Llewyn Davis':

TV Review
8:44 AM PST 12/12/2013 by Frank Scheck

The Bottom Line

This concert doc combines stirring musical performances and fly-on-the-wall rehearsal footage to fine effect.

Airdate Friday, Dec. 13 (Showtime)

Director Christopher Wilcha

Producers T Bone Burnett, Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, Scott Rudin

Showtime's documentary captures the highlights of the star-studded concert of music inspired by the Coen Brothers' film.

Its awkward title notwithstanding, Another Day, Another Time: Celebrating the Music of "Inside Llewyn Davis" does an admirable job of giving the viewer the feeling of what it was like to have been at September's star-studded concert at New York City's Town Hall. Christopher Wilcha's documentary effectively combines well-chosen performance footage from the three-hour show with enough fly-on-the-wall rehearsal peeks to provide an intriguing insider's view. It also happens to serve as an excellent promo for the current theatrical release of the highly acclaimed Coen Brothers' movie celebrating the Greenwich Village folk scene of the early 1960's.

Those who attended the concert may wonder at some of the omissions, such as John Goodman's amusingly droll introductions and Elvis Costello's hilarious rendition of the novelty song "Please Mr. Kennedy" with the film's stars Oscar Isaac and Adam Driver. Providing some compensation is the inclusion of some of its lesser known performers, such as Lake Street Drive, whose swinging "You Go Down Smooth" was one of the evening's highlights.

But there's plenty here to savor, including Punch Brothers' smooth harmonizing on "Tumbling Tumbleweeds"; Jack White's country-flavored version of the White Stripes' "We're Going to Be Friends"; Patti Smith's soulful "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You"; Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings' impassioned "Will the Circle Be Unbroken"; and Marcus Mumford's stirring rendition of Bob Dylan's "Farewell," among others.

The requisite rehearsal footage features the ever hovering presence of the concert's producer T Bone Burnett and Joel and Ethan Coen, with the atmosphere proving clearly convivial. Mumford, showcased in several brief interview segments, comments that "there's no assholes around" and that "there was no ego in the room." More amusingly, Isaac admits that "tonight I'm shitting a brick" regarding the prospect of performing his songs live onstage. The sheer volume of the musicians taking part in the show is reflected by footage of many of them rehearsing their numbers in hallways and staircases.

While the film might have gained some depth with the inclusion of historical footage from the musical era that served as its inspiration, it nonetheless deftly captures the highlights of one of the year's finest concerts.

Airs Friday, Dec. 13 (Showtime)

Director: Christopher Wilcha

Producers: T Bone Burnett, Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, Scott Rudin, Jason Colton

Director of photography: Adam Beckman

Not rated, 101 min.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

T Bone Burnett vs. Silicon Valley: 'We Should Go Up There With Pitchforks and Torches' (Q&A):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/earsho ... ley-652114

I don't know why I posted this here other than its a really cool interview with T-Bone Burnett. T-Bone rules! I dig his take on the latest happenings in Silicon Valley and I would back up those pitchforks and torches with tar and feathers. In fact, I don't have to go to Silicon Valley (40-50 miles south of SF), I can just tar and feather one of the Google buses that shuttle their employees down the small / local streets of San Francisco. Also I like his mention of moving to Nashville. I was thinking of doing the same.. For some reason, I'm drawn to that town right now. Only probably for the reason of being close to live music.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

The show is going to be released on two-disc CD.

http://pitchfork.com/news/53357-inside- ... baez-more/

Inside Llewyn Davis Live Album Features Jack White, Conor Oberst, Elvis Costello, Joan Baez, More
Captures concert celebrating the release of the film last fall, features artists playing folk music alongside members of the cast
By
Evan Minsker
on October 27, 2014 at 12:00 p.m. EDT

In September 2013, Jack White, the Decemberists' Colin Meloy, Conor Oberst, Patti Smith, Elvis Costello, Joan Baez, and others played a benefit concert at Town Hall in New York in conjunction with the release of the Coen Brothers' film Inside Llewyn Davis. They performed music associated with the film, which is set in the 1960s New York folk music scene, alongside members of the cast.

An album of that concert is finally being released as Another Day, Another Time: Celebrating the Music of "Inside Llewyn Davis". The two-disc set is out January 13 via Nonesuch. The live LP was produced by the Coen Brothers and T Bone Burnett. That's the tracklist below. (Note that Smith is not featured on the album.)

The first 200 pre-orders of the album on either CD or vinyl from Nonesuch will receive a limited edition poster.

Inside Llewyn Davis was loosely based on the life of folk revivalist Dave Van Ronk, and is centered on a struggling young folk singer in Greenwich Village in 1961. It starred Oscar Isaac, Carey Mulligan, Justin Timberlake, Adam Driver, and more. (Timberlake was not at the Town Hall concert.)

The concert, organized by Burnett, benefited the National Recording Preservation Foundation, a nonprofit that helps protect music and radio archives. It was also partially aired as a concert film/documentary on Showtime—watch the trailer for the TV special below.

Another Day, Another Time: Celebrating the Music of "Inside Llewyn Davis"
Disc one:

01 Punch Brothers: Tumbling Tumbleweed
02 Punch Brothers: Rye Whiskey
03 Gillian Welch: Will the Circle Be Unbroken?
04 Gillian Welch & David Rawlings: The Way It Goes
05 Willie Watson: The Midnight Special
06 Dave Rawlings Machine: I Hear Them All/This Land Is Your Land
07 The Milk Carton Kids: New York
08 Secret Sisters: Tomorrow Will Be Kinder
09 Lake Street Dive: You Go Down Smooth
10 Elvis Costello, Oscar Isaac, and Adam Driver: Please Mr. Kennedy
11 Conor Oberst: Four Strong Winds
12 Conor Oberst: Man Named Truth
13 Colin Meloy: Blues Run the Game
14 Joan Baez, Colin Meloy, and Gillian Welch: Joe Hill
15 The Avett Brothers: All My Mistakes
16 The Avett Brothers: That's How I Got to Memphis
17 The Avett Brothers: Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise

Disc two:

01 Jack White: Mama's Angel Child
02 Jack White: Did You Hear John Hurt?
03 Jack White: We're Going to Be Friends
04 Rhiannon Giddens: Waterboy
05 Rhiannon Giddens: 'S iomadh rud tha dhith orm/Ciamar a ni mi 'n dannsa direach
06 Oscar Isaac: Hang Me, Oh Hang Me
07 Oscar Isaac: Green, Green Rocky Road
08 Keb' Mo': Tomorrow Is a Long Time
09 Bob Neuwirth: Rock Salt and Nails
10 Chris Thile, Chris Eldridge, Paul Kowert, Marcus Mumford, Noam Pikelny, and Gabe Witcher: The Auld Triangle
11 Gillian Welch, Rhiannon Giddens, and Carey Mulligan: Didn't Leave Nobody But the Baby
12 Elvis Costello and Joan Baez: Which Side Are You On?
13 Joan Baez: House of the Rising Sun
14 Marcus Mumford and Joan Baez: Give Me Cornbread When I'm Hungry
15 Marcus Mumford: I Was Young When I Left Home
16 Oscar Isaac and Marcus Mumford: Fare Thee Well (Dink's Song)
17 Marcus Mumford and the Punch Brothers: Farewell
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I wonder if this prompted Elvis to play Which side are you on?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

and WHY oh WHY have they omitted the 500 MILES performance???

Setlist

01. Please Mr. Kennedy - EC, Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver, T Bone Burnett & Punch Brothers
02. 500 Miles - EC, Carey Mulligan, Stark Sands, Punch Brothers & Secret Sisters
03. Which Side Are You On? - EC & Joan Baez

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 9_New_York
johnfoyle

Re: EC plays "Inside Llewyn Davis" concert, NYC, Sep. 29, 2013

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis & co. on the Irish Times album of the week.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music ... -1.2058845
sweetest punch

Re: EC plays "Inside Llewyn Davis" concert, NYC, Sep. 29, 2013

Post by sweetest punch »

The review from The Irish Times is online: http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music ... -1.2058880

Various Artists: Another Day, Another Time - Celebrating the Music of ’Inside Llewyn Davis’

There is something of a dizzying circular concept at play in this 34-track double live album. The September 2013 New York concert from which the music is drawn was a celebration of the songs of a movie that was a celebration of an imaginary world of a singer who “lived” in the romanticised world of the American folk resurgence of the late 1950s and early 1960s.

If the Coen brothers’ movie focused on the self-obsessed central character, the world he inhabited and the songs that were its soundtrack shared equal billing. The concert built on that synergy with three of the actors, Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver and Carey Mulligan, joining seasoned and rising musicians recruited by producer T-Bone Burnett (with Elvis Costello and Oscar Isaac). Some were used in the movie but this concert steps beyond its boundaries while staying true to its spirit.

Last March, another shorter edit of the concert, this one created for Showtime, was released on DVD. The audio version may be longer but it has also taken another nine months to see the light of day.

Nevertheless, this is an always entertaining package. Specific Irish interest is relatively minor, though Irish rresident Rhiannon Giddens, late of the Carolina Chocolate Drops and soon to release her first solo album, gets one of the hottest ovations when she lets rip on a percussive tune in the teanga beo.

Behan’s Ould Triangle remains, as in the movie, an “Oirish” indulgence but Joan Baez, Gillian Welch, David Rawlings, Jack White, Marcus Mumford and the awesome bundle of energy and creativity that are the Punch Brothers carry the show with memorable versions of old chestnuts such as Will the Circle Be Unbroken?, Joe Hill and Tomorrow is a Long Time mixed with newer coinage such as the haunting New York by the Milk Carton Kids.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.