Is Imperial Bedroom the greatest EC Masterpiece ??

Pretty self-explanatory

Is Imperial Bedroom the greatest EC Masterpiece ??

Yes
34%
No
63%
I hate Elvis Costello and I'm just here to piss you all off
3%

Total votes: 32

Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

I would buy For the Stars just for Green Song and the title track. But then again I seem to be the only one. :(
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I like it because it introduced me to "Broken Bicycles", but Tom Waits' version is a bazillion times better :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

King_of_Spain wrote:Do you think the Brutal´s cover photograph is a reference to the Ray Charles incident ?

(you know, as if EC said: "I have never been a racist, not even in my early years..." ... I have always thought it is. What do you think about it?)
I don't think it is a reference to Ray Charles....the little boy on the cover does not seem to be "blind" nor "ignorant" :lol:
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

And I will be forever thankful, SoL. My mother (who likes it more than myself) has it now, another grateful soul. I'm getting round to buying the reissue for the bonus disc.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

oooh Laughing Cow backed out on me... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sissy...! or hulk???
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

:lol: I did think it was very funny Cope, just didn't want anyone to get pissed with me again....
bobster

Post by bobster »

King_of_Spain wrote:Do you think the Brutal´s cover photograph is a reference to the Ray Charles incident ?

(you know, as if EC said: "I have never been a racist, not even in my early years..." ... I have always thought it is. What do you think about it?)
It's sad that we live in a world where it's still impossible NOT to think of these things. (Though it does sort of back up, slightly, the argument that Ross McManus made in his letter to Rolling Stone at the time of the nastiness, saying how his son was brought up in a multi-racial area, etc.) ..but that being said, I bought my copy of BY at Rhino Records in West L.A., a store sort of tangentially related to the record label where I cut my EC/"New Wave" teeth.

Anyhow, they're in the habit of placing signs with smart-alecky thoughts about the records. Under the cover of BY they wrote, "The Young Elvis Costello poses Next to his Childhood Pal, Ray Charles." (Guess Ray had kind of a long childhood....)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I based my rankings on how often I listen to each disc. And since Cruel Smile is newer and I haven't gotten sick of it yet, it ranks higher. All raknigs subject to change on any given day.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I am weighing-in late, and delinquent as I have not posted in a while...

From previous postings under screen names that no longer work, I was an ardent fan and vehement supporter of Imperial Bedroom as the creme' de la creme' of all Elvis packages.

It is now my numero dos.

"Get Happy" gets the nod as primo by attaining high rankings in so many categories like:

Most Accessible
Most Fun
Trickiest Verbal Gymnastics
Most Listenable - beginning to end
Most "GroundBreaking"
Pure Pop for Now People

and on and on........
bobster

Post by bobster »

Hey, welcome back, Mr. Average!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Dan--er--Mr. Average, how I've missed you!
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

The Stapler Man returneth...
'Bout time!!

:D
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."