WISE UP GHOST Deluxe

Pretty self-explanatory
charliestumpy

WISE UP GHOST Deluxe

Post by charliestumpy »

IMO having heard WUG via web etc etc, one must play-smell-read etc the DELUXE version - albeit CD - on decent audio (so far I have used a few, mainly my Naim-Naim-Linn and Marantz-Marantz-Cerwin Vega sys) to try to understand-appreciate this Roots collaboration.

Ta to the other posters who have linked new EC-Roots tracks not on DELUXE super version.
charliestumpy

Re: WISE UP GHOST Deluxe

Post by charliestumpy »

It is of course a shame that this potentially fine DELUXE version is ruined by sounding like a naff Apple or Blackberry or new-kids-on-t'block smartphone, rather than like real analogue vinyl people.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

My quest :oops: for the delux CD came to an end with a purchase in HMV Liverpool.

No glue issues I'm pleased to report. The extra £10 got me 3 more tracks and a booklet in a font I can read, so I'm very pleased with myself.

Lack super stereo so the this format fits fine with my cd player in the kitchen and my portable.

Have also got the vinyl which I'll mainly keep for looking at admiringly.

Colin Top Balcony
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Am pleased potentially about analogue vinyl (ya! right).

Am sure that best version of WUG is Deluxe CD with splendid hard-copy booklet.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Picked up the deluxe edition for only 3 dollars more than the regular version, which feels about right. Lovely booklet. The extra tracks are nice to have, but I think "The Puppet Has Cut His Strings" is the only one I'll be returning to consistently.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

the_platypus wrote:Picked up the deluxe edition for only 3 dollars more than the regular version, which feels about right. Lovely booklet. The extra tracks are nice to have, but I think "The Puppet Has Cut His Strings" is the only one I'll be returning to consistently.
FUNNY! i am worshiping the other two...both MY NEW HAUNT and CAN YOU HEAR ME, i feel, take the LP to a whole other CRAZY level. 8) 8)
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

My own "problem" with the extra tracks on the deluxe version is that Wise Up Ghost is such a great song for a finale of the CD. Part of my wishes that the extra tracks were part of a bonus CD rather than tacked on at the end.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

but, but, but....WISE UP GHOST does NOT end the LP proper. come now SOUL! surely by now you know: E almost ALWAYS ends the LP with a ballad!!! like I WANT TO VANISH, THE SCARLET TIDE, LAST BOAT LEAVING, FAVOURITE HOUR, COULDN'T CALL IT UNEXPECTED #4, SLEEP OF THE JUST, PEACE IN OUR TIME, TOWN CRYER and more i'm sure! remember....IF I COULD BELIEVE (a beautiful ballad) ends the WISE UP GHOST LP!!! :lol: :lol:
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Mine finally arrived today, from WOW HD - a week after the actual release. Came from Hong Kong!

Not too bothered at the week's wait, as last week I could still hear the album on the official streaming sites.

No glue issues with my copy - it's a lovely artifact that looks just like a book, with lovely quality parchmenty paper which smells really nice!
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Yes Neil the smell is lovely!!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
John

Post by John »

Fishfinger king wrote:Yes Neil the smell is lovely!!
I am really looking forward to being able to give my copy a good old sniff. Hopefully Postman Pat will call tomorrow.

:cry: :cry:
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

John wrote:
Fishfinger king wrote:Yes Neil the smell is lovely!!
I am really looking forward to being able to give my copy a good old sniff. Hopefully Postman Pat will call tomorrow.

:cry: :cry:
Chortle! This fandom is starting to get creepy! :lol: :lol:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I physically held a copy of the deluxe edition today at HMV Bluewater. However it costs £19.99 so I gave it a miss. I was heartened to read that WOW HD have started delivering the album.

My Bob Dylan album came from Hong Kong as well. I guess WOW stands for Waaaaay Out West :lol:

I ordered three CDs. Two of them were dispatched the same day but only one has arrived and the other one is this one. I hope it gets delivered after the long wait. My account still shows it as Back order :roll:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
History History

Post by History History »

[quote="verbal gymnastics"]

My Bob Dylan album came from Hong Kong as well. I guess WOW stands for Waaaaay Out West

I thought that's what they called themselves because 'WOW!' is the first thing you say if a cd actually arrives.

I cancelled my order once I realised it was going to take ages to come only to be told by WOW that it had already left their warehouse. Next day they gave me a refund(?!) - the CD has never arrived. I bit the bullet and ordered the deluxe version from Amazon, it's promised delivery on Friday.
Can't wait.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Have just bought the same copy I held in the week. I got a gift card for my birthday so I bought it along with the Arctic Monkeys new album.

Snotty email on its way to WOWHD.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Verbal, if you don't like 'Come the Meantimes', I'll never come to one of your fiftieth birthday parties again!
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

bronxapostle wrote:but, but, but....WISE UP GHOST does NOT end the LP proper. :
D'oh! You are so right. :oops:

After living with this CD for a little while now, I must say that The Puppet has Cut His Strings is AWESOME. For that song alone, I can't imagine anyone NOT buying the deluxe version if you buy it at all.

Also, I would stage an intervention if anyone were to tell me that they did not like "Come the Meantimes."
History History

Post by History History »

The Puppet Has Cut His Strings stopped me in my tracks.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Received the deluxe version from Amazon. One of his best albums. Elvis' coolness quotient has taken a major rise. Not since Jack Klugman and Tony Randall have two heterosexual men (I don't think Tony was gay) made such a fine pair.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Mine finally showed up too. Despite the presence of 'UK' in the vendor's name, it was US supplied, so no glue incidents. Well it's lovely to finally have it and to hear Tripwire et al at home. Was sounding great on the hifi, can't wait to play it loads and get to know it.

One odd detail: why is the card under the barcode at the bottom of the back cover trimmed the way it is? Seems unnecessary that it doesn't extend the whole way down. Booklet is nice.

Sigh.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
oliversa1

Post by oliversa1 »

My deluxe version stuck between two pieces of packaging, took an age to get it out covered in glue. Fixed now though.
Don't Start Me Talking, I Could Talk All Night.
John

Post by John »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: One odd detail: why is the card under the barcode at the bottom of the back cover trimmed the way it is? Seems unnecessary that it doesn't extend the whole way down. Sigh.
Strange that. Not just my copy then.
buzz

Post by buzz »

Just some more thoughts on the Deluxe edition.

Mine came with the glue smeared from the packaging onto the disc. Sent it straight back (played vinyl edition instead) and got 2nd copy - glue free, the next day. The cut out ridge on the bottom of the back sleeve seems to allow for an easy separation of the disc from the booklet.

Finally and most importantly the 3 extra tracks are excellent. I would have swapped 'My New Haunt' for 'Refuse to be Saved' on the main edition as I believe that to be the only weak track (mainly because of the vocal delivery). Other than that very satisfied.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

"Refuse to be Saved" is one of my absolute favorites!!! I think there is a burning defiance in the vocal delivery.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Lovely album (and from the initial web demo I was not looking forward to buying-playing it...) - sorry about sticky-times for some.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.