EC Live at Apple's iPhone event

Pretty self-explanatory
MOJO

Re: EC Live at Apple's iPhone event

Post by MOJO »

-end-
Last edited by MOJO on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Jack of All Parades wrote:This leaves me a little 'queasy'. EC, in essence, shilling for a corporate giant that is far from stellar in its ethical and business practices on the eve of the release of his latest record which, on the strength of the initial single released, "Walk Us Up Town", expresses a moral and social discomfort with the very ethos he is helping to celebrate on that stage. Walk me up town, indeed! Hard to believe I am the only one having a problem with that.
Me too.

great performance though. Tripwire sounds killer. Was a little strange to watch the Apple schmuck CEO that knows all of about 3 EC songs, trying so hard to be cool with his shirt untucked, come up right within seconds after the room was blown away and announcing "we got the Apple iphone 5c" or whatever crap in the back to check out on your way out. Sucked all the lingering emotion away in an instant.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Far from the first corporate gig he's done in recent years. There's a certain amount of hypocrisy in it, maybe, but hey, great exposure! I love Elvis's non-hug of the Appleman at the end!

BBC news covered the release of the new cheaper iPhone for China but the bastards never mentioned Elvis's appearance!

Second known performance ever of Radio Soul!
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/index.php/Radio_Soul
You could accuse him of not having the grit he had in the past by not playing Radio Radio and biting the hand that feeds him, but then 59 and 23 are pretty different ages. Nice to hear it, anyway.
Otis- I suppose I have made my peace with it- just find it unsettling. Especially when he did "Radio Song" with its listener friendly lines as opposed to his famous '78 stint on Saturday Night Live. :wink:
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Sorry. Removed.
Last edited by MOJO on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis & Tim Cook, Apple CEO. Thanks to Craig for sending me this .
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Apple stock went down $30.00. I'm not saying that Elvis' performance had anything to do with that. In fact, I'm pretty sure one has nothing to do with the other.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Yeah, well, did you listen to the complete streaming event? Snooze-fest. I'd knock off a few $ off their stock price. What about the guy that presented iTunes Radio and mentioned Rush and then something about his desire to do a bit of air guitar. CHEESEBALL. Rush sucks. All of the presenters and their cadence of delivering "the message" gets on my last nerve.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

Jack of All Parades wrote:This leaves me a little 'queasy'. EC, in essence, shilling for a corporate giant that is far from stellar in its ethical and business practices on the eve of the release of his latest record which, on the strength of the initial single released, "Walk Us Up Town", expresses a moral and social discomfort with the very ethos he is helping to celebrate on that stage. Walk me up town, indeed! Hard to believe I am the only one having a problem with that.
You are not the only one having a problem with that. I was veeery unconfortable with it too in the beggining. But I got used to his contradictions :roll: ... So I took a deep breath and decided to cheer up for the increase of exposure he and WUG may have from this.
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

EC was awesome at the event. The definite highlight. "I have something to plug, too." CLASSIC.
docinwestchester

MOJO wrote:All of the presenters and their cadence of delivering "the message" gets on my last nerve.
They are clearly missing Steve Jobs. He knew how to work the audience. These guys are god awful.

EC looked soooo much more comfortable on stage than any of those bozos.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Imagine if Steve Jobs where alive to see it? They would have been ripped apart after the event. Now that is something I would like to see. But, the nerds roll on. Hopefully, they have a presentation coach to work on their cadence.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I think it is totally bizarre that Elvis sang "Radio Soul"! A song he has never played live since going really professional, a song he didn't even put out on the reissues, a song that undercuts Radio Radio quite a bit in my opinion. You just never know with EC, do you? I hope he is as freewheeling on the November tour!

Dave
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

docinwestchester wrote:
MOJO wrote:All of the presenters and their cadence of delivering "the message" gets on my last nerve.
They are clearly missing Steve Jobs. He knew how to work the audience. These guys are god awful.

This event could be used in an SNL skit. What's the deal with rambling on-and-on about the new form factor on the 5c? If felt like it went on for hours.. Such comments around the the antenna... and the plastic, oh yeah, the plastic. That's a real turn-on...
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

docinwestchester wrote:

Would that be this Steven Jobs?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... mg&cad=rja

He never had a corner on genius, innovation, magnanimity or ethics. The 'hero' worship has always baffled me.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Jack of All Parades wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:

He never had a corner on genius, innovation, magnanimity or ethics. The 'hero' worship has always baffled me.
Well, I don't know. He really had a lot to do with the company's current success. So he was a bit of jerk. That's business in Silicon Valley. Lots of d-bags in the business. I just had to deal with one today who was about to screw me out of $10K bonus. I was livid. He later put something in writing. Good boy because heads would have rolled...
docinwestchester

Jack of All Parades wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:

I was referring to this Steve Jobs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN0SVBCJqLs

He was onto something here, no?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Yeah, iPod. I deleted my previous posts because I was fired up and thought it was not worthy of posting. Jobs - He certainly helped open up the digital music revolution through design and innovation, but there were other companies doing this before the iPod came out. That is all. I don't not want to get fired up again. Rip offs happen all the time, even in the music industry. Shocking!
docinwestchester

Forget Steve Jobs..let's get back to the music shall we?

MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Right on! He better have been paid well for his time. I'm curious to read Apple's 10K report... back to the music - STAT!
krm

Post by krm »

MOJO wrote:Yeah, iPod. I deleted my previous posts because I was fired up and thought it was not worthy of posting. Jobs - He certainly helped open up the digital music revolution through design and innovation, but there were other companies doing this before the iPod came out. That is all. I don't not want to get fired up again. Rip offs happen all the time, even in the music industry. Shocking!
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money
trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and
pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
There's also a negative side.”
Hunter S Thompson
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

krm wrote:
MOJO wrote:Yeah, iPod. I deleted my previous posts because I was fired up and thought it was not worthy of posting. Jobs - He certainly helped open up the digital music revolution through design and innovation, but there were other companies doing this before the iPod came out. That is all. I don't not want to get fired up again. Rip offs happen all the time, even in the music industry. Shocking!
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money
trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and
pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
There's also a negative side.”
Hunter S Thompson
Is this a real quote? Is Apple in the music industry or the manufacturing industry? Both, I guess. We know they create hardware/software that everyone uses to access music/video/etc. But, do they have ownership of the labels and artists, too? I don't think so and I have given up on investing my brain power (the few cells i have left) in what's happening in this space. Hopefully, the artists are seeing more $$ though this channel. Have no clue. I'm in enterprise IT now.

=end=
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Well, that performance of Tripwire just solidified it as my favorite track not only from Wise Up Ghost, but probably from the last dozen years or so.

Looks like Elvis has gained some weight back, too, which is good. His gaunt appearance over the past few years has been concerning.
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

The curse of Costello strikes again !
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

The Apple event appearance has made some non-fans curious.

'Pump It Up' is the top Elvis search result in YouTube - they must have gone there out of curiosity after the Apple appearance - lots of whippersnappers are on there moaning about Elvis at the mo! Chortle! Hopefully some of 'em will get hooked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpprOGsLWUo