docinwestchester

Re: EC plays Bridge School Benefit, Oct. 26 & 27, 2013

Post by docinwestchester »

Pretty harsh:

http://www.mercurynews.com/music/ci_243 ... -shoreline

Review: Bridge School Benefit disappoints at Shoreline
By Jim Harrington

It looked good on paper.

Neil Young's 27th annual Bridge School Benefit concerts enticed fans with an eclectic mix of old favorites, popular young acts and other talented artists. Yet, the event far from lived up to its grand promise on Saturday at Shoreline Amphitheatre at Mountain View.

It was an eight-hour acoustic concert that felt much longer, with very few of the expected highlights translating to lasting memories. Indeed, it may have been the least memorable of the roughly two dozen Bridge concerts that I've attended.

That's not as much of a dig as you might think. This is, after all, an event with one of the richest histories in all of popular music, having previously delighted fans with lineups that have included R.E.M., Metallica, David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen, Phish, Paul McCartney and Pearl Jam. A below-average Bridge is still better than most benefit concerts.

Saturday's concert, which started at 5 p.m. and stretched until right around 1 a.m., offered up a share of fine moments. Jack Johnson, Arcade Fire and Jenny Lewis all delivered solid sets. Yet, those performances were far outweighed by the problematic performances from Queens of the Stone Age, Elvis Costello, Diana Krall and others. Hopefully, it was a different story for those attending Day Two of the Bridge on Sunday.

One of the most troubling issues with the Bridge concerts is that there are just too many acts. That means short sets, usually around 20-30 minutes, and accompanying set changes that last nearly as long as the performances. It's a poor use of everybody's time, unless, of course, you dig watching stagehands setting up instruments.

I'd have much preferred more time with Jenny Lewis, the former Rilo Kiley front woman who helped open the Bridge show with a fine set of indie-folk tunes. I could've listened to her croon all night, but she barely had 20 minutes to charm the audience.

Next up was Heart, the recent inductees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame who certainly possess the firepower and songbook to put on a winning show. Unfortunately, Heart only played two real fan favorites ("Even It Up" and "Crazy on You") during a six-song set that was otherwise populated with obscure cuts and a lukewarm cover of Led Zeppelin's "The Rain Song."

Things improved somewhat with fun., the young pop band that won a boatload of Grammy Awards earlier this year. Its music translated OK in the acoustic format, but every song still sounded like a promo for an upcoming episode of "Glee." Plus, the band had to leave the stage right as it was heating up. The strongest number was the closer, a cover of "You Can't Always Get What You Want" that sounded better than the version the actual Rolling Stones played back in May in Oakland.

I was really looking forward to seeing the amazingly talented jazz vocalist-pianist Diana Krall. Unfortunately, her set turned out to be the most disappointing of the night. She only performed three numbers on her own, then let her husband, Costello, commandeer the rest of the set. Hearing them share vocals on Bob Dylan's "Wallflower" made you understand why Krall and Costello don't share the stage more often. Krall then departed, leaving her husband to deliver his own forgettable outing.

Out of all of Young's guests, Jack Johnson was definitely the crowd favorite. He charmed fans with one nursery rhyme of a pop song after another, while sticking solely to his A-list material.

Then came the hipster-approved portion of the night, as My Morning Jacket, Arcade Fire and Queens of the Stone Age filled the next three slots on the bill. Regardless of the quality of the offering -- and Arcade Fire did deliver the set of the night -- it was still too much new music grouped together. In retrospect, organizers should've mixed it up a bit, and given Heart and Johnson later starts, so that the majority of the crowd didn't have to go so long without hearing a song that it recognized.

The biggest mistake, in terms of scheduling, was allowing Queens of the Stone Age go on after Arcade Fire. Queens is a decent rock band, but in the unplugged arena it sounds a lot like watered-down Chris Isaak. Arcade Fire, on the other hand, was like a lightning storm, electrifying the crowd with songs from the soon-to-be-released "Reflektor" and its other three albums.

The headliners — Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young — took the stage at 12:15 a.m., bringing this most mediocre of Bridge concerts to a close with such offerings as "Just a Song Before I Go" and "Human Highway."

Proceeds from these concerts benefit Hillsborough's Bridge School, a program for the communicative and educational development of children with severe speech and physical impairments.
docinwestchester

Two more mp4's for viewing and download:

https://vimeo.com/77921824
A Man Needs A Maid (Diana)

https://vimeo.com/77921883
Wallflower (Diana and EC)
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

That critic from Mercury News is a bit crabby. The show was great! The one thing lacking from his review are a few stiff drinks. Elvis was awesome. He used the wrong town in Sulfur to Sugarcane. It's Mountain View not Palo Alto.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The Imposter responds:
You could say, "Ungenerous, graceless and tone-deaf" but you already know what you are. Don't make tell you again@jimthecritic
And No Coffee Table

Twitter:
Day 2 Bridge School, Elvis Costello plays w/his wife, Diana Kroll http://‪pic.twitter.com/bvFPOp3uH3‬
Elvis Costello joins Diana Krall on stage. They cover Dylans Wallflower. 3rd Dylan song today. Where're the Lou Reed covers?
Slow & sad version of "What's so Funny about Peace, Love and Understanding" ‪@elviscostello‬ ‪#bridgeschool‬ http://‪pic.twitter.com/NfD3bVYDY9‬
Armed with fine Californian beer watching Elvis Costello covering Van Morrison's "Jackie Wilson Says". Blow away.
OK...that ‪@ElvisCostello‬ whistle solo in the new song ("Josephine"?) was pretty damn impressive. ‪#BridgeSchoolBenefit‬ ‪#elviscostello‬
‪#bridgeschool‬ ‪@elviscostello‬ joined by ‪@LarkinPoe‬ on stage
Elvis Costello & Graham Nash, incredible version of Hollies’ King Midas #bridgeschool
hatman

Post by hatman »

docinwestchester wrote:

Starts at 8:28:23
(I do not see the man with the pork pie hat)
Side Note: He isn't wearing a Pork Pie hat. It's just a standard snap brim straw (probably paper) Fedora (probably a center crease). He is wearing it brim up which isn't as common but seems to be his MO.
docinwestchester

hatman wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:

Starts at 8:28:23
(I do not see the man with the pork pie hat)
Side Note: He isn't wearing a Pork Pie hat. It's just a standard snap brim straw (probably paper) Fedora (probably a center crease). He is wearing it brim up which isn't as common but seems to be his MO.
I stand corrected, hatman.
And No Coffee Table

More Twitter:
My Morning Jacket dedicate "Sweet Nothing" to Lou Reed, playing w Neil Young, Elvis Costello, and Nate Ruess from fun.
Beautiful jam tribute to #loureed by #neilyoung #elviscostello #mymorningjacket #bridgeschoolbenefit
Also Neil Young rocked so hard w/ @mymorningjacket that he got an @ElvisCostello assist to keep his guitar up. #RockHard #bridgeschool
Very brief video: http://instagram.com/p/f_h7WLqD6D/#
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Just got back from the benefit. An incredible day of music, once again. EC ruled, his wife was awesome, too. Now I just want to call the Mercury News and have them oust that Jim Harrington guy. He has absolutely no idea what is going on. I wonder if he is a Burnig Man dude or something. He should issue an apology to Peggy And Neil Young and the friends/family of the Bridge School. What a jack *ss.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Got a little satisfaction this morning by leaving a comment for Mr. Harrington. Bah! Classic. He has more negative comments than positive. I just hope this guy didn't the full press ticket into the show.
And No Coffee Table

Night 2:
Sulphur To Sugarcane: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TTb2jXCjm4
Love Field: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LPwi9afhyI
Blame It On Cain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc_E7TaRw4g
King Midas In Reverse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_oPJxrZP3Q

And I think that's EC sharing a mike with old pal Stephen Stills on the "Teach Your Children" finale:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-lZGc9cbg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7PTKhregK4

Setlist cobbled together from setlist.fm and Twitter:

01. Sulphur To Sugarcane (with Diana Krall)
02. Wallflower (with Diana Krall)

03. Radio Sweetheart / Jackie Wilson Said
04. Tripwire / (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
05. A Slow Drag With Josephine
06. Brilliant Mistake
07. Love Field (with Larkin Poe)
08. Blame It On Cain (with Larkin Poe)
09. King Midas In Reverse (with Graham Nash)

10. Oh! Sweet Nuthin' (My Morning Jacket & Neil Young with EC and others on backing vocals)

11. Teach Your Children - (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young with EC and others on backing vocals)
Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Jim Harrington is the same guy who tweeted "Just the thought of an Elvis Costello Meets The Roots album makes me want to run and hide"-- to which Elvis responded "once a twat, always a twat". He does seem like a bit of a grump. For some reason, he follows me on Twitter (I'm guessing he's one of those people who follows EVERYONE just to get some follow-backs) and it seems he barely ever gets any joy out of music. Shame that he gets paid to write about it.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I can't believe he lives in the Bay Area and doesn't get the music scene here. I went over to his twat (sorry twitter) feed and he looks like a total douche NHL fan. Maybe he should take on sports coverage instead? He makes me sad. A guy like this reviewing music in the Bay Area, one of the best spots in the country to hear live music??? :(. I know a handful of folks who know more about music than this guy AND can write better, too. The fact that this guy is a paid by BayAreaNews Group says a lot about how poorly journalist are paid. Might have to craft a few more comments on this article... I guess I'll have to load up on email addresses and handle names.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote: And I think that's EC sharing a mike with old pal Stephen Stills on the "Teach Your Children" finale:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-lZGc9cbg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7PTKhregK4
and where is Bonnie Bramlett???
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

October 27 is available on Dime: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=470469

Bridge School Benefit October 27, 2013
Shoreline Amphitheatre
Mountain View, CA

Lineage: Schoeps MK4> Tinybox> Edirol R-09 (16bit/44.1 Khz)
Transfer: SD/USB > Soundforge 7.0 for slight editing > CD wave 1.93 split > Traders Little Helper 2.4.1 > flac
Recorded By: ridemyllama

There is occasional wind noise during the performances.

Disc 1
Neil Young
01 Changes
02 Blowin In The Wind
03 Comes A time

Jenny Lewis
04 Run Devil Run
05 Rise Up With Fists
06 Unknown
07 Unknown
08 Unknown
09 Silver lining

Disc 2
Heart & fun.
01 Even it Up
02 The Rain Song
03 Nothing But Love
04 War of Man (w Neil Young)
05 Dear Old American
06 Crazy On You
07 Some Nights
08 Carry On
09 The Gambler
10 Somebody to Love
11 We are Young

Disc 3
Diana Krall & Elvis Costello
01 On the Sunny Side of the Street
02 Simple Twist of Fate
03 I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself A Letter
04 A Man Needs a Maid
05 Let it Rain
06 Sulphur to Sugarcane
07 Wallflower
08 Salt On My Tears
09 Radio Sweetheart
10 Tripwire
11 A Slow Drag With Josephine
12 Brilliant Mistake
13 Love field
14 Blame It On Cain
15 King Midas in Reverse

Disc 4
My Morning Jacket
01 Wonderful
02 Welcome Home
03 The Way That He Sings
04 Gideon
05 Golden
06 Harvest Moon (w Neil Young)
07 Oh Sweet Nuthin (w Neil & Others)

Disc 5
Tom Waits
01 Raised Right Men
02 Singapore
03 Talking at the Same Time
04 Chicago
05 Lucky Day
06 Tom Traubert's Blues
07 Lucinda Ain't Goin Down
08 Last Leaf
09 Cemetery Polka
10 Come On Up to the House

Disc 6
Queens Of The Stone Age
01 Long Slow Goodbye
02 Kalopsia
03 My God Is the Sun
04 The Vampyre of Time and Memory
05 Make It Wit Chu
06 Burn the Witch
07 Go With The Flow

Disc 7
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
01 Just A Song Before I Go
02 Human Highway
03 Don't Want Lies
04 Singer Without A Song
05 What Are Their Names
06 Déjà Vu
07 Long May You Run
08 Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
09 Teach Your Children
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

DVD available on Dime: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=476599

Jenny Lewis
Diana Krall/Elvis Costello

Bridge School Benefit: Shoreline Amphitheatre - Mountain View, CA
October 26, 2013

Lineage: dvb mpeg stream > .TS File > TMPGEnc V4 > VIDEO_TS

Ratio - 4:3
Menu - PC
Chapters - Each Song
NTSC
PRO SHOT

Video: 7400 kbs 29.97 fps
Audio: DVD_LPCM_AUDIO

Jenny Lewis (20:41)

1) Intro
2) Head Under Water
3) Rise Up With Fists!!!
4) You Can't Outrun 'Em
5) Buffalo Springfield Again (Neil Young)
6) Acid Tongue

Diana Krall/Elvis Costello (45:52)

1) Intro
2) There Ain't No Sweet Man That's Worth The Salt Of My Tears (DK)
3) We Just Couldn’t Say Goodbye (DK)
4) A Man Needs A Maid (Neil Young) (DK)
5) Sulphur To Sugarcane (DK/EC)
6) Wallflower (Bob Dylan) (DK/EC)
7) (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes (EC)
8) New Amsterdam > (EC)
9) You've Got to Hide Your Love Away > (Beatles) (EC)
10) New Amsterdam (EC)
11) A Slow Drag With Josephine (EC)
12) Jimmie Standing In The Rain > (Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?) (EC)
13) Alison (EC)
14) King Midas In Reverse (Hollies) (EC w/ Graham Nash)

Here's Jenny Lewis and Diana Krall & Elvis Costello's sets from Bridge 2013. This is TV quality and is most excellent. Enjoy!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »