Kiki Dee

Pretty self-explanatory
Spiritinthesky

Kiki Dee

Post by Spiritinthesky »

Kiki Dee is celebrating 50 years in music. I think she is one of the most underrated singers in the UK. Great voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POFGH7iv ... RyH4VXmr9o
"I gave up drugs when the doctor told me I had 6 months to live" Keith Richards
Azmuda

Re: Kiki Dee

Post by Azmuda »

That reminds me, what's the story behind this quote in NME 1982?

October 30th 1982 - New Musical Express
Neil Spencer: A few years ago it seemed as though people were turning to Elvis Costello songs to cover — George Jones and Linda Ronstadt say; but that doesn't seem to have continued. Are you disappointed your songs haven't been covered more?

EC: No, I don't think that's true. There never were many covers — I always thought I could have had more. I could never understand the A&R men's lack of imagination in not picking up on some of the songs — and those you mention are about the extent of it. But this year there's been a Kiki Dee, a Shaking Pyramids and a Dusty Springfield version of 'Just A Memory' — and that's just one song this year, more than I ever got before.
Was she planning on recording "Just A Memory" -- or perhaps did record it, but never released it?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Good question, but one the internet isn't keen to help answer! I've never checked out the other two:

You wouldn't want to hear either more than once, would you? But one thing that caught my eye was the presence of one Davey Faragher on the White Heat Dusty album - so was he, out of the five bassists here, the one on the very oddly retitled (given the Dusty classic Losing You) Losing You (Just a Memory)?
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... White_Heat

Over to John Foyle or someone with the album in their collection to see if the musician credits are song by song!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:But one thing that caught my eye was the presence of one Davey Faragher on the White Heat Dusty album - so was he, out of the five bassists here, the one on the very oddly retitled (given the Dusty classic Losing You) Losing You (Just a Memory)?
Yes, he was. It's actually the only track he plays on on the White Heat album.
Otis Westinghouse

Perfect - little did he know...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Davey told me via Facebook about recording with Dusty - I'll try and find the quote later.
CJP52

Post by CJP52 »

It's been difficult to find a copy of Dusty's White Heat album (vinyl, cd or download) but a copy of the Just A Memory track is on youtube - Nicky Hopkins plays piano and it is on a channel dedicated to him. Exact address is on Connor's blog/stream 40 Days To Wise up Ghost. I liked her version but then I liked Nicky Hopkins playing.

Does anyone know if Kiki Dee ever recorded a Costello song?

Chris
Otis Westinghouse

... the two YouTube screen links I posted above are the Dusty and Shakin Pyramids versions.