EC & The Roots play New York's Brooklyn Bowl, Sep. 16, 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: EC & The Roots play New York's Brooklyn Bowl, Sep. 16, 2

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.fuse.tv/2013/09/elvis-costel ... t-brooklyn

Funky Fresh: Elvis Costello & The Roots Make Live Debut in Brooklyn

The legendary singer-songwriter and the brilliant hip hop band played songs from their collaborative album, a ska classic and a John Lennon deep cut on Monday night

Aside from their appearances together on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, Elvis Costello & the Roots made their proper live debut Monday night at New York City's Brooklyn Bowl, a venue that is exactly what it sounds like (part bowling alley, part music venue).

Playing material from their collaborative, old-school R&B-leaning album Wise Up Ghosts and Other Songs, the iconic singer-songwriter and imposingly talented alt-hip hop band delivered a set of surprisingly fresh and vital songs. But as strange as it was to hear Costello's unmistakable voice in tandem with swampy funk grooves that bring to mind the Meters, the biggest surprises of the night were the awesomely unexpected covers they busted out.

Costello & the Roots skanked their way through the Specials' "Ghost Town"—which Costello introduced as "a song from an old pal of mine"—and brought the night to a thunderous climax by shredding John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band track "I Found Out." It was a truly sublime moment, and thanks to an adept smartphone camera operator, you can watch it here:

Surprise covers aside, the Roots & Costello proved to be a remarkably effective pairing once they found their groove. The first half of the set wasn't exactly shaky, but it didn't feel entirely fluid, either. That being said, guest vocalist La Marisoul of alt-Latin outfit La Santa Cecilia absolutely slayed the crowd when she came out to duet with Costello early in the night. She managed to reign in her powerhouse voice and make it an effective compliment to his fragile, familiar croon on slower numbers like "Cinco Minutos Con Vos."

When Rootstello settled into a holding pattern, the last 40 minutes of the concert were an incendiary live experience. You forgot about the novelty element of a New Wave pioneer fronting a hip hop group and just gave yourself to the sick blues re-imagining of Costello's Blood & Chocolate classic "I Want You," a very funky "Watching the Detectives" and immediately arrested Wise Up Ghost songs like the title track and "Walk Us Uptown."

The Wise Up Ghost album cover has the words "Number One" in the lower right-hand corner. It might be a promise that more Rootstello material is to come, or just a nod to Blue Note Records' album cover format. But given how urgent they sounded during the last half of their first proper concert together, Costello would be wise to keep collaborating with the hardest working band in late night TV on future releases.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

WFUV has made it relatively easy to download the MP3: http://wfuv-web.streamguys.org/WFUV/mus ... sroots.mp3
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:WFUV has made it relatively easy to download the MP3: http://wfuv-web.streamguys.org/WFUV/mus ... sroots.mp3
cool of them...GREAT broadcast. ANCT!!! i KNOW weve been down this road before, sorry i forget the answer. just how many times has E sang the lullabye intro for I WANT YOU??? and be sure to add YEH YEH please tho my thought of SHES SO HEAVY being played before the main part of the song seems a stretch upon playback today. however, what is that funky four bar ending for WALK US UPTOWN...anyone???? thanks nunki
And No Coffee Table

bronxapostle wrote:i KNOW weve been down this road before, sorry i forget the answer. just how many times has E sang the lullabye intro for I WANT YOU???
There are five listed on the wiki site:

1986-10-12 Chicago
1986-11-28 London (intro in middle of song)
1986-12-02 Dublin (intro in middle of song)
2006-05-19 Atlantic City (sung by Fiona Apple)
2013-09-16 New York
John

Post by John »

And No Coffee Table wrote:WFUV has made it relatively easy to download the MP3: http://wfuv-web.streamguys.org/WFUV/mus ... sroots.mp3
Simply right click on the link and select "save target as" and give it a name.

A bonus double CD before the deluxe edition arrives!
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Sounds killer. Where is the west coast tour?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:i KNOW weve been down this road before, sorry i forget the answer. just how many times has E sang the lullabye intro for I WANT YOU???

1986-10-12 Chicago
2013-09-16 New York
thank you...i KNEW it was the first time i saw it! :D :D
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Irie man, Ghost Town sounds more like SPLIFF Town. Dig it.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Thank you! And welcome! I'm listening right now and I love this.
John

Post by John »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/18/arts/ ... .html?_r=0

The New York Times
Playing Well With Others, What They Do Best - Elvis Costello and the Roots at Brooklyn Bowl

Elvis Costello and the Roots began their encore at Brooklyn Bowl late Monday night with a wry lamentation, as churning and ominous as a gathering storm on the plains. The song was “Wise Up Ghost,” which provides both a title and a centerpiece for their trenchant new album on Blue Note. Its delivery was impassioned, unruly, a bit grandiose — gripping, but in a crucially different way from the rest of the show.

Because otherwise, Mr. Costello, the eminent post-punk eclectic, and the Roots, hip-hop’s protean house band, gave an extended lesson in collaborative thrift, beefing up some of his old songs and cleanly tackling most of their new ones. Both parties have made a recent sport out of playing well with others, and here they chased a lean intensity, leaving few scraps on the bone. The show was sold out, and its high celebrity quotient underscored the sense of a rare occasion, which is more than the songs were prepared to do.

“Wise Up Ghost,” the album, is a taut, sandpapery production, full of caustic pronouncements delivered with medium-cool affect. Mr. Costello sings evenly (if obliquely) about various forms of ruination and betrayal, against an assortment of vintage-distressed funk and soul grooves. At the foreground of every track is a drum part executed, with slippery precision, by Ahmir Thompson, a k a Questlove, the brain behind the Roots, and a musical savant whose obsessiveness rivals Mr. Costello’s.

Perhaps taking a cue from certain Marvin Gaye records, the result of this synthesis can feel festive even in the grip of despair, as on “Walk Us Uptown,” the album’s lead single:

Will you walk us uptown

While our tears run in torrents

To suffer in silence

Or pray for some solace

“Wake Me Up,” which opened the show at a prowling gait, was just as pointed: “There must be something better than this,” Mr. Costello groused in the chorus, reusing a line from his recent partnership with the New Orleans soul magistrate Allen Toussaint. (“My thoughts return to vengeance, but I put up no resistance,” goes another rueful line.)

There’s a lot of strategic repurposing throughout “Wise Up Ghost,” and there was even more in the show. Some of this was as straightforward as an older tune given a fresh makeover: the Roots, working with a strong horn section, brought a sinister funk vibe to “Shabby Doll” and turned up the heat on “Spooky Girlfriend,” which also featured a spirited vocal turn by La Marisoul of the Los Angeles band La Santa Cecilia.

And in the accumulative, deep-swirl crescendo on “I Want You,” there was a knowing echo of “I Want You (She’s So Heavy),” by John Lennon. It’s not hard to picture Questlove and Mr. Costello arriving together at that idea; in any case, another Lennon tune, “I Found Out,” served as a rawboned final encore, plunging toward Afro-punk.

Other bits of repurposing were sneakier. “Tripwire,” a waltz that featured guest vocal harmonies by Diane Birch, bears more than a casual resemblance to “Satellite.” And on “Stick Out Your Tongue,” Mr. Costello interpolated whole lyric swatches from not one but two tunes from the vault, “Hurry Down Doomsday (The Bugs Are Taking Over)” and “Pills and Soap.” (One line, ripped well out of context, now suggests a hint of self-appraisal: “In time you can turn these obsessions into careers.”)

Mr. Costello was in excellent, plangent voice throughout the show, which was archived online by wfuv.org. And he was in textbook form: chewing gum, standing at a slouch, exuding his indifferent charisma. Even by the high standard of his collaborative history, he was notably invigorated by his company.

The Roots, meanwhile, now occupy a fascinating and maybe unprecedented position. Since proving wickedly adept with a variety format — Questlove and company will soon follow Jimmy Fallon from “Late Night” to “The Tonight Show” — the group has had a diminishing role for Black Thought (Tariq Trotter), its incisive workhorse of a rapper and frontman. He gamely does his part on “Late Night,” and he put in a token appearance on “Wake Up!” (G.O.O.D/Columbia/HomeSchool), the band’s 2010 album with John Legend.

That he’s nowhere to be found on “Wise Up Ghost,” a product of analogous style and political conscience, feels like a slight, and maybe a further sign of shifting ground. But if there’s anything the Roots have proved in recent years, it’s the danger of jumping to conclusions about their intent. Count that among the ways Mr. Costello fits right in.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Great to have al the YouTube links and to be able to download it. I had it all cued up in the office at 5pm when the finance director came round to discuss an important mattler... Didn't miss too much. I don't like trying to work and listen to music, especially scintillating music I haven't heard before (still haven't heard the album), but man I was loving this. I was at the venue in June for a Brooklyn community night thing in their summer season, Amadou and Mariam, so I could just visualise it all. I've read about all the lyrical quoting from earlier works on the album, of course, but to hear it made me laugh. I note that although ?uestlove always seems to play a Yamaha kit on the telly, live he went for a rather lovely Ludwig. Whatever he's playing he makes it sound great, love his style.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
migdd

Post by migdd »

Listening to the broadcast at this very moment. Just simply fantastic! I'm still digesting the album and hearing EC with the Roots playing live is taking the experience forward in giant leaps. What a wonderful new musical path and journey seems to lay ahead as the fruits of this new collaboration slowly enfolds.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

'I Found Out' is just amazing.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

pophead2k wrote:'I Found Out' is just amazing.
right...so VERY punk rock!!!!
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

1986-10-12 Chicago
2013-09-16 New York
I guess I can't say for 100% sure, but I would've sworn he sang it when he played Bumbershoot in Seattle in 2005, replacing Devo who dropped out last minute.
migdd

Post by migdd »

I Want You is revelatory.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

seanpointblank wrote:

1986-10-12 Chicago
2013-09-16 New York
I guess I can't say for 100% sure, but I would've sworn he sang it when he played Bumbershoot in Seattle in 2005, replacing Devo who dropped out last minute.

no worry...ANCT will hit the bootleg to verify that you are probably wrong...NO OFFENSE! :lol:
migdd wrote:I Want You is revelatory.
isn't it ALWAYS???? :wink: :wink:
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

bronxapostle wrote:
seanpointblank wrote: I guess I can't say for 100% sure, but I would've sworn he sang it when he played Bumbershoot in Seattle in 2005, replacing Devo who dropped out last minute.

no worry...ANCT will hit the bootleg to verify that you are probably wrong...NO OFFENSE! :lol:
Haha, can I at least get the bootleg then? :D

I mean it was 8 years ago now (good lord....) but I believe the entire show was Elvis and an acoustic guitar, and I think I remember taking note (this could obviously all be fabricated now) that he played that bit since it was both fitting for the show and I remembered reading here about how he rarely plays it. I definitely know he at least broke into 'I Say A Little Prayer' at the end. That's a bit more clear than the other part, so maybe that doesn't bode well.
migdd

Post by migdd »

migdd wrote:I Want You is revelatory.
[quote}isn't it ALWAYS???? :wink: :wink:[/quote]

Yes it is, ba. But not quite like this. The Roots nail this one into the ground.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

seanpointblank wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:
seanpointblank wrote: I guess I can't say for 100% sure, but I would've sworn he sang it when he played Bumbershoot in Seattle in 2005, replacing Devo who dropped out last minute.

Haha, can I at least get the bootleg then? :D

I mean it was 8 years ago now (good lord....) but I believe the entire show was Elvis and an acoustic guitar, and I think I remember taking note (this could obviously all be fabricated now) that he played that bit since it was both fitting for the show and I remembered reading here about how he rarely plays it. I definitely know he at least broke into 'I Say A Little Prayer' at the end. That's a bit more clear than the other part, so maybe that doesn't bode well.
only funning you...let me look around and see if a boot exists (PROBABLY DOES!) and if you are correct (PROBABLY NOT!) ANCT makes my statistics look like triple A minor leagues...he is KING ARCHIVIST in my book. but, you could be right (I DOUBT IT!) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

Listening. Epic! It´s great to have this recorded in good quality.

I think I´ll start this petition: The Roots for official Elvis band. Please! I love The Imposters but this is epic.

EDIT: SPOOKY GIRLFRIEEEEEEENDDDDD! Excuse me while I have a fangirling crisis
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Dynamite. Like a funky Sugarcanes.
And No Coffee Table

bronxapostle wrote:no worry...ANCT will hit the bootleg to verify that you are probably wrong...NO OFFENSE! :lol:
I don't have that show, sad to say.