Electronic Musician interview, October 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Electronic Musician interview, October 2013

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The actual cover story seems to be exclusive to the print edition, but the website does have these "interview extras". (I think the two references to "Kurt" are a transcription error, and Elvis is talking about Roots guitarist Captain Kirk Douglas.)

ELVIS COSTELLO AND THE ROOTS INTERVIEW EXTRAS
By Barbara Schultz | Tue,20 Aug 2013

Our October issue features a cover story on Wise Up Ghost, a collaboration between Elvis Costello and The Roots. Here, Costello tells us more about the evolution of the songs and studio sessions.

Many of us have read a little about how this collaboration came about, but could you tell in your own words how your appearances on the Fallon show led to making an album?

I’d already had a lot of fun playing with The Roots when I’d made my guest appearances. I’d made three appearances on the Fallon show, and I’d done something different each time. One time, I’d just come in to play a couple of tunes from my catalog, and in one case [a song] was radically rearranged. In fact, they made reference to an arrangement that I’d played, like, one time in 1978 and then it was realized all these years later, the way I’d heard it in my head. And then I came in to do a brand-new song, “Stations of the Cross,” and that was tremendous. Then I came in to do some Bruce Springsteen songs.

We’d covered a fair amount of musical ground, and it proceeded on from those first couple of sessions where we exchanged ideas. There was no plan. There was no obligation to any record company. There was no agenda other than to make music, which is unusually difficult to achieve. You sort of do it all the time on your own, but the decision for two recording entities to start working together can sometimes be tripped up by too many committees. So we didn’t let anybody know we were doing it.

That’s also, perhaps, because we didn’t really know where we were going. We just started to play and then we liked what we heard and it led to other things. We talked about the possibility of a starting point with some text, and then Quest would write something down, I’d respond to that with some musical ideas, and they would be expanded on by the players from The Roots. I would always lay down the vocal live according to the vocal arrangement we had, and then Steven Mandel would start cutting away. We were employing a lot of techniques which are very familiar to their way of working: looping, sampling, and heavily compressing and processing certain sounds to create space in the arrangements—negative space so the picture’s clearer.

That’s obviously what you do when you arrange anyway—whether you arrange for orchestra or you arrange for a rock ‘n’ roll band—but in the process of recording sometimes, you end up adding and adding and adding. This was more about starting and then taking away. I’m not comparing it to other ways I’ve worked, saying this is the only way to do it. Of course, that’s not so. I’ve made lots of different kinds of records, but this methodology was somewhat novel for me and therefore I suppose I found it thrilling and provocative.

I talk to a lot of artists and engineers who describe a process of adding and adding during the recording process, and then the mix being in part a process of taking away. But it doesn’t sound like those tasks were segmented on this process. It sounds like you were always considering whether or not to keep parts.

In that sense, we were mixing from the first day. I don’t ever recall a feeling that we didn’t have a mix in progress. There were no sort of tracking sessions and then overdubbing sessions and then sort of a rethink where you try and put it through some kind of filter where you then reveal the transformed mix. That can be really great when that happens, and you do something spontaneously and you add some decorative part or some illuminating part and then the mix brings it into focus. The great people I’ve worked, with whether it’s been Nick Lowe or Geoff Emerick or even Billy Sherrill, they all have their own idea of how it sounds, and quite often they’re putting that sort of filter focus. With this, though, we were sort of working towards the completed mix from the very first session. There was no tracking session. There were hardly any two instruments played simultaneously on the whole record. That in itself meant that the picture was emerging as you were making it.

How much were you all even in the same studio when you were discussing musical ideas?

At first, we weren’t. That’s what I mean that’s why it was sort of like a dialogue. I like that as well because it meant that you weren’t playing [all together] and sort of one person’s performance was really great so you settle for the other person’s performance. You really thought about what you wanted to add. I heard what the drums laid down and I knew what songs we were going to be performing. I laid down just enough instruments in order to sing. In other words, I might play a few notes on the bass and a couple of chords on the guitar, like in “Refuse [to Be Saved],” I played the bass line and the electric piano and one of the guitar parts and then sang it, and that’s the vocal that you hear.

Later on, of course, the horns came in and we replaced some of that electric piano with sousaphone. And then Mark’s bass replaced my bass, but the electric piano remains, and then Kurt put another guitar in and suddenly you’ve got a full arrangement. So that’s the dialogue, and all the time you’ve got Steven making choices about the way those things fit in relation to the sounds and filtering certain sounds. Quest and he would be getting in on the sound of the drums, to pull them right out into the foreground, and then latterly, since you’ve heard it, we’ve augmented certain songs with strings. It’s different. We’ve got to force ourselves to let go of it next week. I mean, it’s a very small but key addition: this final joining of some of these elements with the string arrangements. It’s, for me, a really fascinating process that we’ve been in, and as I said, perhaps because it’s not routine for me, I found it to be particularly—provocative is the best word I can use; provocative of the imagination.

You re-use some lyrics from your own songs in places. Were these songs you’d been wanting to revisit?

I didn’t want to do a literal remake [of any songs] because then it would function the same way as a remix, but there was a different rhythm that naturally developed. In the case of “Stick Out Your Tongue,” the juxtaposition of “Pills and Soap” with “National Ransom,” the songs are separated in time, but they’re linked in content. We didn’t really do that very often after that, but that was one of the starting points of the collaboration, and then of course I understood the possibilities of the ways we were working in dialogue musically.

And we also had things like “Cinco Minutos con Vos”  and “Viceroy’s Row” where we’ve got these melodies that developed out of musical sketches that are only based on two chords; there’s no four-chord, so there’s not the natural progression of harmony that most pop songs conform to, so it means you have to stop the melody from becoming repetitive and predictable. Just the nature of those structures is good provocation, and those lyrics have no precedence. They don’t have any lines or verses that have been in other songs. They’re completely new. “Tripwire,” “Uptown”: the bulk of the record is new lyrics. There’s just a couple of reset lyrics and juxtapositions between two verses from different sources which I think have, if you listen to the content, a common thread, and the common thread is joined by the music.

One of the things I was struck by in terms of arrangements is that song “Tripwire,” where you set some really frightening lyrics in a very gentle piece of music. Can you explain the thought behind that?

Quest remarked on that as well. It’s second nature to me to juxtapose, sometimes, the beautiful or sometimes very joyful sounding melody with something very dark. If you match like with like, that can be great if you can sustain the mood that directly reflects something that’s being described in the lyrics, but the other way to go is for people to listen in because of a gentle melody. I’m singing very quietly on that track. There are some beautiful elements. There’s Diane Birch’s beautiful harmonies; we’re singing in a vocal group together, the horns are there supporting us, which sound very soulful and sort of have a warmth which you don’t associate with the lyrics about people being blown to bits.

Onstage you’re a man of many guitars. Were there certain guitars in your arsenal that sounded best with The Roots?

I didn’t really give it a lot of thought in advance, but it may be the only record where I don’t play any tremolo guitar. I don’t know if you noticed that, but there’s absolutely no tremolo guitar. I don’t know whether the key didn’t consciously keep me away from that sound, but it’s very much a signature of mine. I felt like “Watching the Detectives” was the first record where we actually got what I had in my head, and that’s really founded on a guitar figure that was tremolo guitar, you know?

If I think about it, I don’t play that much guitar [on this album]. Kurt obviously plays the bulk of the guitar. I actually play more piano than I do guitar. I play electric piano on a few tracks. But where I do play, I think I played a [Gibson] ES 300, which is a kind of a jazz guitar, on “Refuse.” I played a Kay baritone guitar on “Sugar [Won’t Work]” and another one on “Stick out Your Tongue.” But it’s sort of like the baritone registers as bass. “Sugar” was one of the few songs that was cut live and that was cut as a trio: Quest, Pino Palladino [bass] and me—more like two basses but no guitar—and Kirk added his guitar afterwards.

What was it like working with Steven Mandel?

I want Steven to get the full credit that he deserves for this record, because he has worked really tirelessly to narrow the distance between our different perspectives of music, between Quest and myself. He brought the talents of The Roots members to bear on the skeleton of ideas I may have suggested. And he kept us out of the danger that you can get into when you keep adding; you can lose intensity as you add, because the raw thing that you liked initially becomes buried. He's very good at cutting stuff away. I think he's done remarkable work.

And Steven would know when a take doesn’t fly. It’s good to work with somebody who has a good bullshit detector. You never consciously skate, but [sometimes I would ask him], ‘Will that do it?’ And he’d say, ‘No, it’s not going to do it.’ Sometimes you might try something that sounds, in isolation, berserk.  Steven is good at keeping his nerve while you're going through that process of taking that berserk idea and bringing it into focus until it is actually the thing which lights up the track. I appreciate that kind of tenacity.
johnfoyle

Re: Electronic Musician interview, October 2013

Post by johnfoyle »

There’s Diane Birch’s beautiful harmonies; we’re singing in a vocal group together
http://www.dianebirch.com/
cwr

Post by cwr »

The track "Speak A Little Louder" on her site sounds great!

As has been the case since I became an EC fan back in 1993, listening to him inevitably leads me to discover artists I otherwise might not have checked out. A very expensive side effect, but a welcome and delightful one as well!
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

Has anybody else read the interview in this magazine. It has some pretty cool details about the making of the album.

I can transcribe it if needed when I have more time. For now, here are a few highlights.

Steven Mandel is pretty big fan of EC. His favorite albums are Blood and Chocolate and King of America - so remember that when you listen to Wise Up Ghost. He chose the "High Fidelity" arrangement they played on EC's first Fallon show appearance.
"I could just hear that Questlove would sound great playing it, and Kirk (Douglas - the Roots guitarist) sang backing vocals. That was the first time that Elvis played with the Roots and felt the power of the band behind him. I think that was the spark."
There's a lot of downtime at the Fallon studio so Mandel and the Roots often work on "meaningless" musical projects, meaning that they might never be officially released, like a Squeeze Tribute album, for which EC provided vocals on "Someone Else's Heart."

EC liked the results of that recording so he asked if they could work on other stuff, kicking off the process behind Wise Up Ghost, which went on for about a year and a half.

Costello would make personal demos and begin a back and forth process with Mandel and the Roots. The first music had existing lyrics from Costello accompanied by new music.

"Wake Me Up" was one of the first tracks Costello sent over, basically the lyrics to "Bedlam" over a loop based in the music from Spike's "Chewing Gum." He made that using Garageband on his iPad.

Questlove then "re-imagined" the demo, according to Mandel, playing drums at a much slower tempo.

Mandel says the result made him go: "'Okay, that sounds nothing like the demo Elvis sent us' but Ahmir's like, 'Trust me; I know what I'm doing'"

Mandel took Questlove's new demo to EC in Vancouver where they he played bass, guitar and Wurlitzert.

The vocals were recorded early and instruments were added later either at the Fallon studio or Questlove's studio, House Called Quest. "Sugar Won't Work" was one of the tracks recorded live at the Fallon studio.
Questlove: "By the third time (Costello visited the Fallon show) we had a rhytm going, which was to remix songs. But then I kind of put my foot down because it was starting to be like Elvis songs remixed by the Roots, and critics and fans are very jealously guarded about Elvis' work."
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.emusician.com/artists/0767/e ... ost/152827

ELVIS COSTELLO AND THE ROOTS RECORD 'WISE UP GHOST'
COSTELLO, QUESTLOVE, AND ENGINEER/PRODUCER STEVEN MANDEL REVEAL THE PROCESS OF MAKING THEIR GROOVE-LADEN, SONG-DRIVEN, TOTALLY NEW, OCCASIONALLY FAMILIAR-SOUNDING ALBUM, WISE UP GHOST

By BARBARA SCHULTZ | Tue,17 Sep 2013

NEVER MEET your heroes. . . . What a crock that adage is. People should say the opposite: Always meet your heroes. And when you meet them, ask them to play with you.

Engineer/producer Steven Mandel counted himself a lucky man when his long association with The Roots led him not only to meet Elvis Costello—one of his musical heroes— but also to work with him when Costello first visited Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, where The Roots serve as Fallon’s brilliant, versatile house band.

In November 2009, Costello was promoting season two of his Sundance Channel series, Spectacle: Elvis Costello With..., a show—it is worth noting here—that displayed the inspired magic of musicians meeting. Costello didn’t have a new record to push, so he performed a couple of rearranged hits with The Roots, including a version of “High Fidelity” that only serious fans would have recognized.

“I was able to participate in choosing which songs to play, and I chose this obscure live arrangement of ‘High Fidelity,’ which was released as a bonus track on one of his CDs,” Mandel says. “I could just hear that Questlove would sound great playing it, and Kirk [Douglas, Roots guitarist] sang backing vocals. That was the first time that Elvis played with The Roots and felt the power of the band behind him. I think that was the spark.”

Almost exactly one year later, Costello returned to the Fallon show to do a couple of songs from his then-current release National Ransom, and a version of “Stations of the Cross”—with Costello on keys, guest John McLaughlin on guitar, and The Roots playing a fresh, groove-y arrangement punctuated with jazz horns—offered a clue that this musical relationship between Costello and The Roots was coalescing into something damn exciting.

Meanwhile, there was a lot going behind the scenes, as there apparently always is at the Fallon show.

“Most talk shows start shooting at 5:30 or 6 in the evening, but on our show we take a lot of meticulous measures to make sure everything is perfect, so everyone is required to get here at 11,” says Questlove. “There’s a lot of downtime. And our dressing room here is also our recording studio. We’ve made albums here; we made Undun [2011] here. But we also have a lot of time to work on ‘meaningless’ musical projects, meaning stuff that may never see the light of day, or maybe only our friends will hear. When we first came here, Steve Mandel was like, ‘Why don’t we make a Squeeze tribute record?’ And we were like, ‘Okay.’”

“We asked Elvis to do a song on the Squeeze tribute and he did ‘Someone Else’s Heart,’ and it came out incredible—really sick,” Mandel says. “That was the first time I got The Roots and Elvis to record together.”

“He liked the results of that, and he was like, ‘Why don’t we work on some stuff?’ he didn’t have a label, and we didn’t know where it was going; it was just like, let’s see what happens,” Questlove continues. “So we said, ‘Come back tomorrow at 7 p.m.’ This went on for a year-and-a-half.”

“Then I came back in to do some Bruce Springsteen songs [during Fallon’s ‘Springsteen Week,’ February 2012]. We’d covered a fair amount of musical ground. There was no agenda other than to make music, which is unusually difficult to achieve. You do this all the time on your own, but the decision for two recording entities to start working together can sometimes be tripped up by too many committees, so we didn’t let anybody know we were doing it,” Costello says.

During those early stages of the collaboration, Costello would make personal demos, and begin a back-and-forth musical conversation where temporary parts would be invented and reinvented, until permanent parts were laid down. The first tracks they made incorporated some existing Costello lyrics, reset in new music. The song “Wake Me Up,” for example, borrows from the title track to the Costello/Allen Toussaint album The River in Reverse (2006) and from “Bedlam” off of The Delivery Man (2004).

“‘Wake Me Up’ captures the true essence of what happens when you do something like this. If somebody said, ‘What came out of that collaboration?’ ‘Wake Me Up’ would be one of the first things I’d play,” Mandel says.

“Elvis sent over some crazy demo of him singing over a loop. I think he made it in Garageband: Elvis Costello, sitting at home using Garageband, looping . . . I don’t remember if there were four or eight bars, but it was part of the song ‘Chewing Gum’ from Spike [1989], and he sang the lyrics of ‘Bedlam’ and ‘River in Reverse’ over that and sent that to me. You know, like: ‘Here.’ And I was like, ‘Okaaaay, I’m trusting Elvis. He must know what he’s doing. He’s Elvis Costello.”

Costello admits he went out on a limb sometimes, actually, but that was part of a process of zeroing in on the idea that would catch fire. “You might try something that sounds, in isolation, berserk,” he says. “Steven is good at keeping his nerve while you’re going through that process of taking that berserk idea and bringing it into focus until it is actually the thing which lights up the track. I appreciate that kind of tenacity.”

“So, I passed this along to Ahmir [‘Questlove’ Thompson ] and said, ‘What do you want to do with this?’” Mandel continues. “And he’s like, ‘Let’s record drums for it and then re-record it.’ He didn’t play drums over the demo; he re-imagined the demo and then played drums at a much slower tempo in a totally different way, which made me like, ‘Okay, that sounds nothing like the demo Elvis just sent us,’ but Ahmir’s like, ‘Trust me; I know what I’m doing.’

“So I took those drums—just drums—to Vancouver [where Costello lives part-time] and said, ‘Okay, Elvis, these are the drums for that demo you sent over,’ ‘Bedlam in Hell,’ or whatever he called it. And he was totally accepting of Ahmir’s response. So, we proceeded to do bass and guitar and Wurlitzer, all by Elvis on that song, and then vocals.”

Costello cut a lot of his parts in Crew Studios, a new-ish mid-sized facility in North Vancouver, where Mandel auditioned several vocal mics for Costello and settled on a prototype CM12SE from Advanced Audio Concepts.

“My favorite Elvis albums are the two from 1986, Blood and Chocolate and King of America, where if you listen to a song like ‘Little Palaces’ [King of America] or ‘Battered Old Bird’ [Blood and Chocolate], the vocal is right up in your face, really direct, really clean, like Elvis is standing right in front of you, and this mic was just doing it, especially that prototype we used in Vancouver.”

Some of the instruments Costello played at Crew were later replaced by The Roots, either in the Fallon studio or in Questlove’s studio, House Called Quest, in Philadelphia. “We had a lot of the vocals done early, and then we just knew how to build around that,” Mandel says. “Kirk Douglas overdubbed a guitar part in New York. We did horns in Philadelphia with Matt Cappy and Korey Riker—just two guys, trumpet, and sax—and that was it. It’s a spacious sort of song where you want to put the right elements into it but not fill it all up necessarily. A lot of this album was about maintaining space and air—not every thing is filled up by an instrument. There’s room to breathe.”

Astute listeners will recognize lyrics and musical moments from Costello’s catalog in other songs as well. Lyrics from “Pills and Soap” (Punch the Clock, 1983) and the title track on National Ransom appear in the spare, mostly keys-and-beats track “Stick out Your Tongue.” The lyrics to “Invasion Hit Parade” (Mighty Like a Rose, 1991) comes into play in the funky new song “Refuse to Be Saved,” and there’s a nugget of the guitar part of Rose’s “Hurry Down Doomsday” in “Grenade.” However, Questlove was clear from the beginning that he did not want to make a collection of Costello remixes.

“By the third time [Costello visited the Fallon show], we had a rhythm going, which was to remix songs. But then I kind of put my foot down because it was starting to be like Elvis songs remixed by The Roots, and critics and fans are very jealously guarded about Elvis’s work. I didn’t want to look like some crazy experiment; I wanted to make an Elvis record that Elvis die-hards would put in their Top 10.”

“I didn’t want to do literal remakes,” agrees Costello. “but there was a rhythm that developed, and that was one of the starting points of the collaboration. In the case of ‘Stick out Your Tongue,’ the juxtaposition of ‘Pills and Soap’ and ‘National Ransom,’ these songs are separated in time but they’re linked in content.”

Costello says that as he understood more and more about the possibilities presented by the musical dialogue, he found it increasingly “provocative.” And for a songwriter like Costello, it doesn’t take much provocation for wonderful things to happen.

“It amazed me,” Questlove says. “He can write to a heart beat. He can write to a pin tapping on a table. A lot of songs started with a bare-bones drum beat, and he would imagine the rest.”

Whether they were fashioned from old and new ideas, or were newly born for this album, most of the tracks on Wise Up Ghost came together in a similar manner to “Wake Me Up,” with lots of give and take as parts were cut, cut away, and replaced. But a couple of songs were recorded live, testing the limits of The Roots’ backstage studio.

“Since day one, Ahmir and I have done what we call guerilla recording,” Mandel says. “We use what we’ve got. We’ve got to get it down now and move on to the next thing, and whatever mic we’ve got, whatever compressor, link them all up and hope for signal flow and let’s get it recorded.”

Mandel’s reluctant even to talk about things like studios and equipment, feeling that whatever gear he was able to grab to nail down these tracks is besides the point. He says the studio is pretty much an undedesigned, nontreated “janitor’s closet” that barely fits the bandmembers, with another closet-sized space attached for Questlove’s kit.

“The main thing I want to get across is, I’m lucky to be working with such great musicians,” Mandel says. “Quest is probably the best drummer on the planet. I’m not going to say it doesn’t matter which mics or what platform we use, but it hardly matters in the end. I’m not saying we don’t like nice things, but nice things are not always around. I just have faith that I’m working with really talented people. I just have to record it, be invisible, and know that people are going to love it because it’s great.

“Besides,” Mandel continues, “what inevitably happens with Quest is, I’ll record 15 or 20 different microphones on drums, and we’ll go to mix and pull all the faders down, bring up the microphone I have set up in the corner of the room by accident, and that’s the one he loves. He’s like, ‘Oh, what mic is this?!’ And I’m like, ‘Um, a 57?’ and he’s like, ‘Man, I never heard a 57 sound like that!’ And I’m like, ‘Well, it’s all the way up by the ceiling. I was cleaning up and I just put it up there. . . .’ And he’s like, ‘That’s the sound I’ve been looking for!’”

Mandel is only partly joking. Questlove sheds some light on what he likes about fewer mics, farther away: “I spend a lot of time listening to Pro Tools reels of old albums and trying to guess how they got the sound,” he says. “I got the [Michael Jackson] Off the Wall record for my birthday, and that week I was playing ‘What would Bruce Swedien do?’ in my head. Or I’ll get Talking Heads stuff or Stevie Wonder. And what I noticed is that with records I particularly love, they don’t use that many mics.

“So, on a song like ‘Sugar Won’t Work’ [on Wise Up Ghost] we only placed a Royer ribbon mic behind me, slightly above my shoulders, and I put a Shure football mic in front of the kick drum—not in front of the kit where the other mics go, but behind, where the beater is. It gives you a snap like nothing you ever heard.”

“Sugar Won’t Work” was one of the two tracks that were recorded live at the Fallon studio. It started out as a very spare song with subtle keys taking a backseat to the rhythm and that ultra-present vocal Mandel was talking about. “Sugar” is also one of the few songs that includes a Costello guitar part.

“I think this may be the only record I’ve made that I don’t play any tremolo guitar,” Costello points out. “I didn’t consciously keep away from that sound, but there’s absolutely no tremolo guitar, even though it’s been very much a signature of mine. The first record I ever made where I kind of felt like I knew what I was doing— where I felt like we got the sound that I had in my head—was ‘Watching the Detectives,’ and that’s really founded on a tremolo guitar figure.

“Kirk obviously plays the bulk of guitar on this record, but I play an ES300, which is a kind of jazz guitar, on ‘Refuse to Be Saved,’ and a Kay baritone guitar on ‘Stick Out Your Tongue’ and ‘Sugar,’ but that sort of registers as bass. The trio that cut live was Quest, Pino Palladino [bass] and me—more like two basses but no guitar—and Kirk added his guitar afterwards.”

Also added later (much later) were orchestral parts, arranged by Brent Fischer; like all of the elements, these orchestrations—integrated into several tracks—were used judiciously, preserving the air and coolness of the tracks. They’re most pronounced in the intros and outros of songs, yet they exponentially increase the drama and beauty of the album overall.

“We had an eleventh-hour epiphany,” Questlove explains. “Some of my all-time favorite string arrangements are by Clare Fischer. I wrote about him in my book [the recent best-selling musical memoir Mo’ Meta Blues]. He worked on Prince’s albums, he worked with The Jacksons, he worked with Rufus. In black music, when you wanted lush string arrangements, Clare Fischer was the guy you called. Unfortunately, Clare passed this year. He was 84. But his son, Brent, had been working at his side for 30 years. Brent was at the Grammys last year to receive a posthumous Grammy for the last album Clare did [Judie Tzuke’s Ritmo, 2012], and I was like, ‘The reason Prince is one of my favorite artists is the work you guys did on his records,’ and asked him to work on this. So this is Brent Fischer’s first project without his father, and man, he absolutely positively made this into a whole new record. It’s so lush and beautiful. It’s still dark, but it’s a whole new record now.”

Wise Up Ghost ends with “If I Could Believe,” a gospel-style piano ballad about faith and doubt. Costello’s vocal on this is everything his fans wish for—sweet and mighty, with that occasional little catch. It features Questlove on drums, Pino Palladino on bass, and Ray Angry playing a Yamaha Motif keyboard. All tracked live in that little “janitor’s closet.”

“Ahmir was in his booth, and the other three guys were pretty much right on top of each other,” Mandel says. “When you listen to the a cappella, you can hear the bass and a little drums creeping through, and when you listen to the instrumental, you can hear a little Elvis creeping through, but it worked. That’s my whole point. You can isolate everybody and it might sound worse than if you have them all in the same room. ‘Believe’ might be the best-sounding song on the record, and it was recorded in—not the worst possible conditions, but certainly nothing close to ideal for an Elvis Costello and The Roots song. That song is just drums, piano, bass, and vocal. I guess that would be another reason why it maybe sounds as good as it is because it’s sort of uncluttered and quiet. ‘Sugar’ was the same setup; it’s a little bit of a louder song, so there was more bleed coming through all the microphones, but coincidentally, that happened to work sonically for what we were after, for that particular song, a ‘Luck Be a Lady Tonight’ kind of thing. . . .”

Mandel counts himself lucky, but he obviously brings a lot more than luck to the party. He has just shepherded two pretty different, very busy “recording entities,” as Costello put it, into making one of the coolest, most surprising, and beautiful records of the year. Most of us dream of meeting our idols. Mandel got his to make a full-length album with The Roots, and they were all happy to do it.

“I want Steven to get the full credit that he deserves for this record because he has worked tirelessly to narrow the distance between our different perspectives of music,” Costello says. “He brought the talents of The Roots members to bear on the skeleton of ideas I may have suggested. And he kept us out of the danger that you can get into when you keep adding; you can lose intensity as you add, because the raw thing that you liked initially becomes buried. He’s very good at cutting stuff away. I think he’s done remarkable work.”

Electronic Musician and Mix contributing editor Barbara Schultz thanks her musical heroes for never disappointing.

QUESTLOVE ON . . . THE UNIMPORTANCE OF A HIGH-END STUDIO
“I laugh when certain rappers and MCs have all these gargantuan, Van Halen, brown-M&Ms-only demands on their rider. I once saw someone cancel a session because they didn’t have the proper gouda cheese and Merlot. I’m dead serious. There’s no gouda cheese and Merlot? I’m outta here. Personally, I’m more comfortable creating albums in uncomfortable circumstances. Our dressing room is only made for six people, and on average there’s always eight to ten people here. It’s like the size of a closet. I fit my drums inside a changing closet, and Elvis just sang his vocals in the break room. It’s a very unromantic, unglamorous atmosphere, but I work harder when I don’t have any distractions. I’m one of those people who can’t really record in a lavish environment, or I’ll just get too comfortable. ”

QUESTLOVE ON . . . DRUM-MIKING TRICKS
“I remember the trick [engineer] Gabe Roth taught me from the Dap-Kings when he was engineering the Booker T album [The Road from Memphis, which Questlove produced]; I’d never seen someone mike the snare bottom mic all the way to the floor. I was used to putting it as close to the skin as possible, but I realized, man, you’re really killing the compression; especially with ribbon mics. They should be as far away as possible. So I’m now discovering that the farther the mics are away from the drums, the more sweet sound I can get.”

QUESTLOVE ON . . . RECORDING ON THE FALLON SHOW FLOOR
“When the show was over, we actually just went back to our bandstand and recorded [instrumental tracks for the song ‘Cinco Minutos Con Vos’ (‘Five Minutes With You’)] through TV filters. [The show] has all these compressors that are specifically for TV that give you an awesome warm sound. It’s all digital, but it just felt warm. I definitely want to do more experimenting with playing out on the floor. You just have to wait till the janitors and everybody’s gone.”