40 DAYS OF ELVIS COSTELLO: A Countdown To WISE UP GHOST

Pretty self-explanatory
Poor Deportee

Re: 40 DAYS OF ELVIS COSTELLO: A Countdown To WISE UP GHOST

Post by Poor Deportee »

North is an impeccable collection of subtly-wrought and in certain cases superb songs (notably "Fallen," which is just magnificent). Equally important is that the singing is finally showing some restraint - he has discovered what he used to know, namely that he needn't bellow like a bad opera singer to get the tune over, and the oversinging begins its retreat here. There are obvious highlights (the humour of "Let me tell You About Her," the classical pop of "Still," the not-quite-perfect closing track, the swooping melody of "Can You Be True"). There are clumsier moments (the title track with its awkward metre, "When It Sings") but not enough to seriously mar the effect. Like I said - impeccable craft in the main.

But I very seldom listen to it. It comes back to my respectful disinterest in the kind of narrow lyrical palette he's using here, on what might be THE most rigorously confined album he's ever made. I don't find myself wishing to inhabit that small, dimly lit, yet elegantly appointed room very often. "Sameness" musically is also a legitimate criticism, especially given that far too many of the songs begin with the same basic motif of softly descending piano chords. That's boring.

The original negativity was stupid and (on the part of critics) sadly personal. But for me this is a paradigm case of an album I respect rather than love.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

For me it is EC's best sustained work of the last decade and it contains a musical and emotional sophistication that merits repeated listening. What gives it power for me is that EC has gained great strength from his recent ability to write musical notation and has at the same time made a concerted effort to tone down the lyric, not jamming the lines with superfluous verbal mush and painful metaphors. This reigning in of his tendency for verbal prolixity is most welcome. There are songs on this record that equal some of his strongest work, "Still", "You Turned to Me" and "Fallen". "Fallen" in particular is in my list of the five top EC songs with its image of a fallen leaf erratically descending in the air as if EC were saying I am going my own way and you can follow me if you want.

The songs 'fall' off this album not in a rush but in a jerky, quivering recitative as musicians play the hesitant chords and the material is helped along by his muted baritone which often times sounds out of sync with the lyric and some very accomplished playing by two jazz professionals, Lew Soloff and Lee Konitz who have worked with my father in law in the past. EC is clearly going through his own dark night of the soul and, like a modern day Dante, has wandered into the dark wood of introspection and soul searching. The vagaries of love, emotional pain and adult relationships are approached directly and with no superfluous verbal clutter. There is a sophistication on this record that is disarmingly unguarded.

The album has also given me a greater appreciation for its predecessor "For The Stars", a much maligned album, where you can clearly see EC working his way into a richer musical texture which combines both his new found ability to notate and to pen a poignant lyric as exhibited by the title song of this album which is a wonderful musical twin to Auden's "Lay Your Sleeping Head, My Love". You can hear EC recharging his musical batteries as he works through great songs by McCartney, Ron Sexsmith, and Brian Wilson.

Mutability, being shaken, changing seasons both meteorological and emotional is hard to balance. Change is unstable. Love even more so . "Fallen' and the rest of the album beautifully attest to this instability. PD, a while back, speculated that it takes a sizable hubris to tackle a standard. Could not agree more. That is why it must be so satisfying when you pull it off. EC does here and it has always been a ‘pin drop’ moment for me. I take great enjoyment in the notion that he has added to the lyrical tradition with this song.

"North" is a direction. Pole star and constancy. It is an 'ever fixed mark'; fixed in its position it is a refuge and a guide post. One can anchor ones life around it and position it within ones moral and emotional compass. I think EC has.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

Knowing "North" was coming up today, I spent some of yesterday brainstorming what I wanted to say about it, only to come in this morning to find that Connor pretty much articulated my feelings on it 100%. This is one of my truly favorite Costello records, and in my mind one of the finest things the man ever produced. Many of Elvis's lesser albums have greater, more immediate standout tracks; few if any leave me as satisfied after full, uninterrupted listens. It's a record that creates its own world and exists within it, and achieves exactly what it sets out to achieve. PD is right that one of the biggest strengths of the record is EC's newly rediscovered sense of restraint--these are the first songs in a while that invite you to come to them, indifferent to whether or not you ever do, but if you choose to meet them halfway you find yourself feeling spiritually richer for it.

I've always thought a lot of the backlash against the record came from the fact that a sizable fraction of Costello's audience of critics was simply ill-equipped to assess a record of after-hours piano/vocal jazz. Pitchfork Media, who I mentioned earlier gave "When I Was Cruel" a 9.0 out of 10, gave "North" something like a 1.5; I'd be surprised if it wasn't the only record of its kind ever reviewed on the site. In a lot of instances I think you had writers with a vested interest in Costello as a rocker criticizing the album simply for being what it was, without necessarily possessing a strong enough sense of discernment to say whether or not it did a good job being what it was.

I was very fortunate to see Elvis and Steve on this tour, and I count it among the very best concerts I ever attended. I see the record as a high watermark of EC's artistry, an astounding example of his ability to step completely outside his comfort zone and into an established format, yet still make something that sounds distinctly like his own creation. An A+ record.
KD's music blog
KD's book
cwr

Post by cwr »

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I love this album but I'm still not sure what Elvis was trying to do. Scarlet Tide is beautiful and Either side is a fantastic respectful rip off of Dark end of the street (also recorded for The Clarksdale Sessions).

I also loved PDs post about North. An album that I too respect rather than love.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
cwr

Post by cwr »

I think over the years, I've sort of been irrationally hard on TDM-- I always liked it but had a feeling like "The Delivery Man" was a story he had sort of given up on and never figured out a way to properly tell.

By the time SP&SC came out, I had been cured of this somewhat-- it didn't bother me that a couple of songs were "Delivery Man" and others were from "The Secret Songs," and I didn't expect them to do anything except work as standalone songs on a record. Listening to TDM now, it strikes me as a very strong record.

WIWC, North and TDM over the course of 3 years is a wildly varied group of records! Were it not for EC's voice, would it be possible to tell that these records were made by the same person?
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Thanks as always, Connor!

While I don't rate it as a classic, this is unquestionably a strong album. As Connor notes, the "concept" is relatively unobtrusive and therefore avoids the sense of rigour (and confinement) that marked North and PFM. I regard this as a virtue. The muscular chaos of "Button My Lip" basically proclaims a reprieve from all that - it's fun. "Either Side" gives us a different type of singing from Elvis, not the '90s oversinging I've been wincing about in this thread, but rather something genuinely soulful and powerful. I wouldn't want them all to be like that, and still prefer restraint, but it's potent stuff. Indeed, although I find his voice a bit too high in the mix on this record, apart from the excesses of "The Judgement" - to my ear, just an overwrought, oversung song that reminds us that EC is no soul singer no matter how hard he tries - he's mostly back to singing sensibly on this album.

Two songs I'd like to single out. "Monkey to Man:" absolutely classic Elvis Costello rock and roll, in no way nostalgic for the Attractions days and yet replete with hooks and entertainingly misanthropic lyrics. Even my wife, who is not some big Costello fan, thought it should have been a hit single; that it wasn't seems pretty much overwhelming proof that it'll take something paradigm-shifting to get him back on the chart. Terrific little track. And "The Name of this Thing Is Not Love" is a delightful confection - tumbling, baroque pop music of the sort Elvis does so splendidly. These are cuts that show that, whatever his peregrinations over the previous decade, the guy who made Trust is still in there going strong.

As for reservations...not many in this instance. I rate "The Judgement" as ill-judged, "Heart Shaped Bruise" leaves me indifferent, and while "Bedlam" has a great guitar hook it maybe isn't quite as scintillating as it wants to be. "ivy" comes off as a touch pious but Steve's sublime work is worth waiting for. I do feel that the title track, which is a winning composition, wasn't quite recorded properly - and while I enjoy "Country Darkness," I feel that I never quite "got" why it is so often praised as a masterwork. Boo hoo. A fine record, Elvis!!
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I remember asking Elvis back in 2005 about what date The Delivery Man is set. He replied "That's an interesting question".
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Reading all the opinions I feel like I am missing something but I have never quite grown to like this album.
Most of the songs just never did it for me and I found the whole vibe too rootsy-bluesy-southern Americana for my taste.
Well, maybe I should give it another listen.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i freaking LOVE this album...i think it is MAGNIFICENT! maybe because i was lucky enough to see the ENTIRE lp LIVE before it came out at AVERY FISHER HALL!

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 2004-07-15

and what a show this was...though i DISAGREE with RIFF RIFF RIFF being played according to this setlist! and it looks like yet ANOTHER show that i must transfer to share. my ONLY ever BUTTON MY LIP!!! and what a WILD song it was. and the LOVE THAT BURNS that night was blistering too. it was ALWAYS so cool seeing EC do songs LIVE before they appeared on LP. i sure hope he gets back to that....as early as THIS November would be VERY welcome.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I was at that show, too! What a week that was, probably the closest I'll ever get to a MELTDOWN 95 experience: 3 shows in one week, including hearing all the songs from the then-yet-to-be-released Delivery Man plus Il Sogno and more!

Hearing ALL those Delivery Man songs at once was almost too much to process.
Jack of All Parades

This one has always felt like the coming out record for the Imposters[not WIWC] for me with that blistering opener "Button My Lip" which clearly sets the tone for the better material on this record with its opening one chord salvos. I never really bought the notion of a central theme for the record- it has always seemed more like EC's middle aged effort to further explore youthful themes of sexual double dealing and domestic violence. This time he transfers it to a heartland connected with his namesake and cross pollinates those themes with a liberal dose of "Dusty in Memphis" professionalism.

Favorites are "Nothing Clings Like Ivy", "There's a Story in Your Voice" and the richly textured and realized "Country Darkness" with a line that underlies a good many of the songs on the album- 'The veil is covering a glistening and cruel blade/Suffer little children, repent unfaithful maid'. Its southern Gothic filtered through a modern male sensibility.

I agree that the two songs "The Judgement" and "Either Side of the Same Town" are better served by the artists the songs were written for originally. And he should have had a hit with "Monkey to Man". No justice in this world. "Bedlam" has never held up for me and has always seemed more of a rant than a thoughtful consideration of the current world's state.

This album also provided a wonderful late afternoon and evening under the trees in Central Park on 7/19/05 with my family and Alexv and his family, picnicking and enjoying the Imposters with Emmylou and Larry Campbell go through if memory serves me a 30 plus song set which included a good chunk of this record along with some lovely set pieces from the Gram Parsons catalog. My two oldest daughters, though young teenagers at the time, came away with an interest in hearing more EC, though I think that can be attributed more to the sound of Emmylou and the songs made popular by Mr. Parsons. I remember they harmonized to "Love Hurts" just as the performers did on the stage that evening.

A very good record. One I return to with frequency.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I drove from New Orleans to Oxford, MS to see one of the two preview shows at Proud Larry's. What a great evening, seeing EC and the Imposters in such an intimate venue. The next morning I ran across Steve Nieve in the local record store and he kindly signed a ticket stub for me. I have great memories of this album :)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I've been missing the fun here... For me the trio of WIWC, North and TDM represent a very strong phase in Costello's later career, and happily coincided with getting back into him in a big way inspired particularly by finding a community of people who loved him in the earliest incarnation of this 'place'. It was fun to dissect them as they appeared and swap notes, and it was great to see them at live shows often meet people from here at those shows too. All three had their weaknesses, but all three had great songs and great qualities. I played them all loads in their day, but don't tend to go back to them much these days. Highlights:

WIWC: 45 (don't get the sense of disappointment around the album version vs the Leno one - for me it's the fitting full band realisation of it, and it's lovely to listen back now and hear that thudding ascending bassline kick in and think 'Davey's here!', great lyric, great conceit, great music), WIWC2, Alibi (ditto re live vs. studio, bit long, but it's a great thing to repeat, and fantastic lyrics), perfect closer Radio Silence and the wonderful Tart.

North: loved seeing it live as Costello ran through the narrative of finding love. It was all very personal and touching. Am I right in remembering that the running order of songs live was different to the album, and made more sense, in keeping with his exposition? Still is the highlight tune, but I love the overall effect and feel of it, with great songs like You Turned To Me.

TDM: love the sound and feel of the whole album. Country Darkness my standout, for some reason I always remember (after a few pints and tequila shots in the Hammersmith pub) watching Pete tap 'and 2 and 3' on his leg in between playing the beats, I loved that. Also There's a Story In Your Voice, Scarlet Tide, the lovely Ivy and a few others, but not The Judgement and I never liked Monkey To Man which just sounds to me like a lame filler tune he could have knocked off in a few uninspired minutes, replete with annoying guitar line and tedious references to Dave Bartholomew, etc. Whenever he played it live, I just wanted it to end, even if Davey's neck-popping looked funky doing it. Yuk!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
cwr

Post by cwr »

The album may have leaked and now it's streaming but it will not affect the drip-drip-drip of the 40 Days Countdown!

DAY 33: IL SOGNO

http://connorratliff.tumblr.com/post/60 ... d-recorded
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

Speaking for myself, I would not be able to tell you if Costello is being original or derivative. I have a fair amount of “classical music” in my collection, but I wouldn’t claim to have any expertise beyond what my own ears respond to. While I won’t pretend that this is a piece I return to often, I do enjoy it on the rare occasion when I choose to put it on or when a selection pops up in “shuffle mode” on my iPod.
Aside from the part about having a fair amount of classical music in my collection, this is pretty much my take on it too. I'll say this for it, though: Though I've probably only sat through the entire thing two or three times, I can call the main melody to "Oberon and Titania" to mind as readily as anything. It's probably due for another spin.
KD's music blog
KD's book
Jack of All Parades

The piece is listenable and, per my wife, who is the 'classical' person in my house, it is not an embarrasment. She, and I, listen to the cd from time to time. What I have never been able to shake over the years is the sense while listening that it is an exercise to show the skills newly acquired. I have felt that this partly explains what Alex Ross is getting at in his comments. Excercise or not it flows and I continue to be amazed by EC's competent juggling of so many instrumental voices in one sustained piece.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I tend to think of it less as an exercise and more as a work-for-hire. It's not like Costello was suddenly inspired to write a symphony based on Midsummer's, he was commissioned to write it.

Not that such a thing precludes it feeling inspired, a la "God Give Me Strength", but I think it would be interesting to hear what kind of long orchestral piece Costello would be inspired to write on his own.
Jack of All Parades

I would welcome a song cycle like Schubert's "Winterriesse"- he could execute it with flair, I think. And it would incorporate a core skill- his lyrical aptitude. For all I know he has already dipped his toe in this direction. Would be nice to have material of that sort released on the internet from time to time.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

I still find it fascinating that Puck 1 was part a championship level Drum Corps performance:

Wonder if EC knows about this. I hope so.
cwr

Post by cwr »

THAT'S AMAZING
cwr

Post by cwr »

DAY 34: PIANO JAZZ / MY FLAME BURNS BLUE

http://connorratliff.tumblr.com/post/60 ... burns-blue
CJP52

Post by CJP52 »

Again, thanks for these comments.

I managed to obtain a copy of the original Piano Jazz CD when it was first released and enjoyed the relaxed tone throughout. I was sad to hear of Marian McPartland's passing as she seemed such a lovely person.

I recently obtained a Billy Strayhorn CD - Lush Life - via Amazon. It includes My Flame Burns Blue (Blood Count) with Elvis on vocals, Joe Lovano on Tenor Sax and Bill Charlap on piano. A lovely version. Rest of the album is worth a listen.

What I love about Elvis is the way that his collaborations have introduced me to a wide range of music and artists. I've fairly eclectic tastes anyway-lucky for a Costello fan. I suspect though I'd never have listened to Brodsky Quartet or George Jones or many of the others he's worked with, without his 'gentle' push in that direction. I managed to obtain The Roots' album Phrenology from a local shop in preparation for next weeks event. Will say, it makes a good soundtrack when on the treadmill at the gym. His North was wonderful. I liked the was you linked it with Diana Krall's album-I went to see her in Manchester-excellent.
Jack of All Parades

These two records get regular play in my home. The live one with the Metropole Orchestra is my favorite live record from EC. What these two records reinforce consistently for me is how much he is a citizen of a wide variety of musical forms and what a genial ambassador he can be for his likes. The live record gave life to several compositons that in their original form were still born to my ears. "My Flame Burns Blue" takes what has always been a significant Strayhorm piece and makes it current- a vibrant new thing with his words. My favorite version of it however was done by Stan Getz in the last years of his life with Kenny Barron on piano.