"Brutal Youth" finally getting a vinyl issue!

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

"Brutal Youth" finally getting a vinyl issue!

Post by johnfoyle »

cwr

Re: "Brutal Youth" finally getting a vinyl issue!

Post by cwr »

I am very excited about this.

I think it is possibly the EC record I love the most, and it's hard to believe it's never been on vinyl before.

Possibly the best vocals he's ever done on record, because he is in his post-Brodsky wave of confidence, but he is still utilizing the multi-tracked vocal tricks that earlier records all used to sort of beef up his vocals, so it's the best of both eras. Records after this wouldn't employ those self-harmonies quite as much, and the ones on BY are particularly imaginative and fun.

Plus, I feel like the band (in its various combinations here) sounds great.

ALSO: I love how the album gets really thematic in its latter half, with a lot of very different songs dealing with the idea of looking back at "what might have been.". Costello essentially made a "reunion" record that picked apart the very notion of reflecting on the past and what that can mean.

Now, if we can get Kojak Variety and Painted From Memory on vinyl, we'll have the complete set. Also, how about a limited vinyl pressing of The Wendy James Demos?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

WOW!!! sweet news.......YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

There's been a lot of Brutal Youth played on the tour and I would probably rate this as my favourite album. The trio of Rockinghorse Road, Just About Glad and All the Rage are the best three in a row on any album ever.

I was playing this in my car and Mini VG loved Clown Strike and Rockinghorse Road (although this could be because she has a rocking horse) and the "Glad" song.

She also liked All the Rage which pleased me enormously. She was even impressed, saying Wow, when I said the man played this one because I asked him. :D
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i, too, agree whole heartedly that, on at least SOME days, i consider it his VERY BEST album! the tour in 1994 was SUCH a great reclaiming of ELVIS & THE ATTRACTIONS as the powerhouse they ALWAYS were. my first show of the tour was a road trip to Cleveland to see them OUTDOORS on a 42 degree night, where THEY SMOKED! i vow to get the recording out to you all real soon. it is VERY GOOD! the version of ALL THE RAGE that night, forever put the song in my TOP TEN EC songs FOREVER!!! i am very glad he honored your request VG! i had the lucky fortune of seeing the whole LP performed on the four nights i selected to go...Cleveland, Central Park, Jones Beach and Garden State Arts Center! not many people got 20% AMNESIA, THIS IS HELL or MY SCIENCE FICTION TWIN! and to add PONY ST. 13 STEPS, STILL TOO SOON, FAVE HOUR< SULKY GIRL and KINDER MURDER to the ones already mentioned here...WHAT A FOOKING LP! can't wait to hold it upon VINYL, as i anxiously also await KOJAK and PFM in the perfect format...12" VINYL!!!
cwr

Post by cwr »

BY was my first "new" EC album.

I became a fan right after Juliet Letters came out and devoured all of his entire back catalog that year, but BY was the first one that I got to look forward to and buy on the day of release.

My first EC Concert was at Tinley Park in Chicago, and I had to drive all the way from Jefferson City, Missouri, to get there. (I also found a bootleg copy of the then-unreleased Kojak Variety, released as "Barbados Megamixes" in a nearby record shop.)

It wasn't a great seat-- pretty far away from the stage, but it was so exciting to actually hear him play live with The Attractions.

Obviously I've remained a fan ever since but there's something particularly intense about my feelings towards that year, all those brand new songs and how exciting it was.

I probably listened to BY more intensely-- repeatedly and often-- than any record before or since.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Who on earth is this vinyljunk?

Just some guy in Belgium who sticks CDs onto vinyl? Looks rather dodgy to me.
Apparently you can save on shipping costs when you go and collect the item? :?
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Ymaginatif wrote:Who on earth is this vinyljunk?

I can't speak to the vendor, but the release is listed as coming from Music on Vinyl, which is certainly a legitimate label.

I'll add that, as of a few moments ago, the title has not been added to the Music on Vinyl website (but retailers often get advance notice, so I wouldn't make too much out of that).
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

cwr wrote:BY was my first "new" EC album.
There's always something "magical' about your first album, isn't there? Mine was SPIKE, and in many ways I think it was the perfect "gateway drug" in the sense that if someone buys into the "anything and the kitchen sink" approach of that album, I suspect they'll be very open to the very diverse pathways his music pursued in the subsequent years.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Ymaginatif wrote:Who on earth is this vinyljunk?

i don't want a bootleg! i get my boots for FREE on cdr. i guess it's an official release and we will come to believe in it by "release date" PRINCE FOREVER!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I asked Music On Vinyl , via their Facebook page -

It's great to see you're releasing Elvis Costello's Brutal Youth. Will you be doing any more of his albums?

Music On Vinyl replied

No news on other Elvis Costello albums as of yet. Keep checking back...

This release seems to be in safe hands

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/

About Music On Vinyl

Music On Vinyl is a vinyl only record label that releases high quality 180g LP and 7" vinyl pressings of titles licensed from a wide range of record companies and artists who control their own repertoire.

These are both re-issues of classic titles, or a simultaneous vinyl release to compliment a CD/DVD release, all marketed under the Music On Vinyl brand, which vinyl lovers worldwide recognize as a trusted name providing a superb LP vinyl product.

As for our sources; We are provided with the best possible (analogue) masters available. On top of that, our sound engineer has over 35 years of experience in cutting and mastering records for (major) labels.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Laurie Eaves asks Music On Vinyl on Facebook

Can you guys just confirm that you are releasing Brutal Youth on vinyl? So far the only thing we Costello fans have suggesting it is a potentially-dodgy Dutch site... thanks!

They replied -

Yes, it's coming out on August 19 - we will post a picture of it quite soon.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Amazon has it listed to come out on 8/20: http://www.amazon.com/Brutal-Youth-Elvi ... s+costello

EXPENSIVE but worth it. I'll put aside a dollar a day for 45 days to get one of my all-time favorites on LP...
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Also on Amazon in the UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brutal-Youth-Ga ... utal+Youth

Looks good and I've per-ordered it! (another 3 weeks to wait, it seems).

Also found some (brief) discussion of it on this excellent blog:
http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... p-reissue/
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Ordered my copy today - now I've got an excuse to set up the turntable !!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/releases/El ... utal_Youth

Brutal Youth - MOVLP817

Elvis Costello

Brutal Youth (1994) was Elvis Costello's return to the sound heard earlier in his career. Born Declan Patrick MacManus, the Grammy Award winning artist has had a fruitful career with over 35 albums to his name. Featuring Nick Lowe on bass (who recorded with John Hiatt's Bring The Family [MOVLP786] and Little Village [MOVLP726]) Brutal Youth is unmistakably the best album Costello made in the '90s.

Now available for the first time on vinyl, housed in a beautiful gatefold sleeve.

180 gram audiophile vinyl
Gatefold sleeve
Released on vinyl for the first time!

Tracklisting:

Side One

Pony St.
Kinder Murder
13 Steps Lead Down
This Is Hell

Side Two

Clown Strike
You Tripped At Every Step
Still Too Soon To Know
20% Amnesia

Side Three

Sulky Girl
London's Brilliant Parade
My Science Fiction Twin

Side Four

Rocking Horse Road
Just About Glad
All The Rage
Favourite Hour
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Best album of the 90s- difficult to compare the most diverse repertoire of his career. I'm not sure you can compare them , except maybe MLAR and ATUB . BY is certainly the most "old school" EC of that decade and still a magnificent testimony to Steve, Pete, Bruce and Nick .
cwr

Post by cwr »

Interesting -- I seem to recall an interview with Costello where he said that Brutal Youth was the last album he had imagined in terms of being a 2-sided vinyl LP. (Unless I'm mis-remembering that. I'm sure he went back to that way of thinking as the CD format began to wither...)

BUT: on cassette, Brutal Youth had a different halfway point! Side one ended with "Still Too Soon To Know" and Side Two began with "20% Amnesia"! On the 2LP edition, side 2 ends with "Still Too Soon To Know"/"20%Amnesia" and Side 3 opens with "Sulky Girl."

I wonder what triggered the change?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

cwr wrote:I seem to recall an interview with Costello where he said that Brutal Youth was the last album he had imagined in terms of being a 2-sided vinyl LP.
He said that of Mighty Like A Rose ("this was probably the last record that I imagined as a two-sided vinyl disc") in the Rhino liner notes. I can't swear he didn't also say it of Brutal Youth though.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

and he looked like i broke his heart when i asked him outside of LETTERMAN on 4-1-94 if it was coming out on vinyl. think i shocked him that i still wanted it that way. but, i'll gladly take it nineteen years later. now only to hope for KOJAK and PFM upon vinyl and i think we are set for official full length releases, yes?
cwr

Post by cwr »

Ah, yes! It was MLAR! My faulty memory!

I hope the vinyl BY sells out so it means we'll get PFM and KV.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Waiting for their big brother!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

sulky lad wrote:Best album of the 90s- ... still a magnificent testimony to Steve, Pete, Bruce and Nick .
Yep, Sulkington, love Brutal Youth. It's in my top five Elvis albums - would happily introduce anyone to Elvis with this album (thought that's irrelevant these days!)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just got Tower, Dublin's only copy of this. The assistant said the sale 'probably' meant they'd reorder. Just a cent less than 30 euro - eek! I'll comment when I've heard it.
Just noticed - Ms Krall in the background!

Set complete.

I'm dashing off to work now . I dropped the needle on Pony St. and it sounded great , the bass just leaping out of the speakers....but then I did have it turned up to 11!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »