Pretty self-explanatory
Azmuda

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Canterbury, 23 June '13

Post by Azmuda »

Photo by Paul Clayden:
Elvisisking

Post by Elvisisking »

What a night! Fantastic sound, a cheerful and chatty host and a John Harle bonus. Don"t leave it 30 years before you come back again Elvis. Someone else will have all the facts but until then take it from me it was a good one!
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

another pic by Paul Clayden:
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Peace, Love, And Understanding
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_CPkIUWoh8
Bladders

Post by Bladders »

My video above posted already!
plus some pics
Bladders

Post by Bladders »

my first EC gig was The leascliff hall in Folkestone on The Get Happy Tour, see him quite a few times since but nice to have him play in my neck of the woods again :)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

01. I Hope You're Happy Now
02. Heart Of The City
03. Uncomplicated
04. Mystery Dance
05. Radio, Radio
06. Stella Hurt - spin 1
07. The Other Side Of Summer - spin 2
Joker Jackpot - spin 3
08. Pump It Up
Imperial Chocolate Jackpot - spin 4
09. Next Time 'Round
10. Shabby Doll
11. Almost Blue
12. I Want You
Imperial Chocolate Jackpot - spin 4
13. Kid About It
14. Honey, Are You Straight Or Are You Blind?
15. Man Out Of Time
16. O Mistress Mine - with John Harle & Steve Nieve
17. She
18. Pills And Soap
19. Accidents Will Happen
20. Shipbuilding
21. Oliver's Army
22. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
Encore 1
23. A Slow Drag With Josephine
24. Walkin' My Baby Back Home
25. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
26. Tramp The Dirt Down
Encore 2
27. Willie And The Hand Jive
28. Alison
29. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Tell us about the Folkestone gig, Bladders, that sounds like a great gig to have witnessed !
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

My daughter was at this Canterbury show and pronounced it "awesome". She was up in the balcony...
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
Bladders

Post by Bladders »

Goodness! that was 33 years ago, all i can remember apart from being hot & sweaty was that all the tracks were played really fast and were short as the "Get Happy" one's were, the fire brigade came in, but I and the rest of the crowd were unaware. i did send my ticket scan and paper review to the wiki a few years back just found this here, http://www.elviscostello.info/articles/ ... 800305.php
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Muriel Teodori posts to Facebook -

Steve Nieve with the incredible John Harle before performing "oh mistress mine" with Elvis Costello.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm pleased for everyone who said it was a great show. It was pretty good. The venue is fantastic with great seating and sound. There was an earlier start of 7.30pm and the show finished about 10pm.

The audience was incredibly polite - when Elvis went on a walkabout during She, not one person stood up or anything - a lot of people looked at the band. I took a picture of him from about a foot away.

I was expecting a lot more from the show to be honest but that was probably because it was the last night.

There were some notable points:

Imperial Chocolate came up twice on the spin
There were only 5 spins (and only 6 the night before in Brighton)
When Steve played Pills and Soap, the intro went on for ages as nobody (and I mean nobody) knew where Elvis was. He took ages to reappear and most people could hear him but not see him
During Honey are you straight... he broke a string (I know some people on the board like to know these things :lol: )
He played Man out of time with his guitar resting on his shoulder
After Pills and Soap he said to Steve, "Play what we finished with last night" and Steve was completely bemused. Elvis then shouted "A D chord" and Steve started playing the chord. Steve still didn't remember until Elvis started singing the opening line
Elvis, Steve and John Harle was very good. John declined Elvis's offer of spinning the wheel
the girl in bladders photo was with Steve and Muriel (another wheel fix!)
Willie and the Hand Jive was accompanied by Dixie and Josephine dancing by the wheel
Pump it up wasn't on the wheel but the spinner requested it as the Joker choice
Alison had You've been cheating and then the Somewhere segment.

About 25 people waited outside by the stage door. After a little while one of the crew members came out of the stage door and told us that Elvis was on the tour bus and would come out and sign things. He then led us.

Elvis did indeed come out and graciously signed things and posed for pictures. Pete also came off the bus and did the same. I said it was a great tour and he said "I've seen a lot of of times". This was ambiguous - I'm hoping he meant that it was a great tour because he'd seen me a lot of time but that might be stretching it a bit... :lol: :lol: :lol:

We also saw Steve outside. I said he had really looked like he was letting himself loose. He said he was enjoying himself. He was sublime.

I asked Elvis if he was going to tour the UK with The Roots and he said we'll have to wait and see because of their television commitments. He also said they were tying up their loose ends with the album.

I also thanked him for playing All the Rage and within the reply he gave me a pat on the back :D

It was great to meet Goon Squad. I didn't make the pub beforehand as by the time we realised the show didn't start at 8pm we were in a bit of a rush!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

I had just finished a long in depth report of last night when my computer crashed and I lost it ! :evil:
So here is my quick slightly briefer version :

What a great night !
Firstly it was great to meet up with Mr and Mrs Fishfinger king in the pub beforehand where we had a good chat about previous Elvis gigs etc. We didn't see anyone else wearing a carnation so we must have been the only ones there !
As for the gig itself, it was never going to be another "Southend" ( which was one of the best ever ) as it was all seating. The venue was very good with excellent viewing and good acoustics.The crowd were a little bit "over polite" but very appreciative and respectful, although most people did stand up for the up-tempo numbers and the encores.
When it first started I was gutted when the girl sitting directly in front of me got picked for a spin ( so near yet so far), although I found out after the gig that she was there with Steve's wife so it was obviously pre-arranged which is fine.
There was a really good mix of songs played ,with Pump it Up being played very early due to it being picked. Once again Elv did the walkabout which was very mesmerizing and almost hypnotic.When he went upstairs most of us in the stalls lost sight of him, but that just added to the "where will he appear next" suspense.
Although it wasn't the most lively gig, it was full of Elv's brilliant showmanship. In fact I often wonder whether he was a late 1800s music hall entertainer in a previous life !
So, all in all , a very solid gig with lots of great songs and witty lines!
After it was over I met up with Verbal Gymnastics and had a good old chat about "everything Elvis" while we waited with a dozen others by the Stage Door.
Then out came one of the crew to take us round to the coach where Elv was waiting for us. I couldn't believe that after 35 years of being a fan I was finally going to meet Elvis Costello ! ! !
Then came the moment. He came off the bus, was very relaxed, and chatted and signed away for everyone.
I shook his hand and thanked him for everything he's done over the last 35 years, and then thanked him for creating the soundtrack to my life. He seemed very appreciative and sincere when he replied........"thank you, thank you very much". He signed my tickets, posed for a couple of photos with me and then the great man was back on the coach and off they went. All except Steve with his wife and friends who had their own car, although Steve couldn't find the car keys! These guys are normal human beings after all ! After a frantic 10 minute search with all bags being turned out the keys were found. Phew ! At that moment "Verbal" and I sloped away as it seemed the right moment.
So that was it! All in all a memorable night, and coming so soon after the brilliant Southend gig ,these few days have really been for me the ultimate Elvis experience !
It was a superb night.It was a good gig, I met the man himself, I met Mr + Mrs Ffk, VG and other like minded people, and although it will probably be a fair while, it already got me looking forward to the next Tour !........I can't wait ! ! !
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

... No 'Willie etc' anywhere yet on audio or vid. please???
Bladders

Post by Bladders »

here's a pic I took of EC in Canterbury in 1983 at the University
verbal gymnastics

charliestumpy wrote:... No 'Willie etc' anywhere yet on audio or vid. please???
I hope I'm wrong but I doubt if any footage or recordings will surface from this one. Even people taking pictures seemed apologetic!
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Bladders wrote:here's a pic I took of EC in Canterbury in 1983 at the University
Nice one!
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Bimbling around Canterbury before the show and bumped into Pete Thomas walking down the High Street.
Had to stop and shake his hand! Said my son learnt drums to Lipstick Vogue and he said it was about 50 years old.
The show itself is well summarised by Goon Squad and Verbal. Good but not cosmic.
Polite audience and early start and finish probably didn't help.
Sorry not to be able to hang around at the end but it's a long way from Canterbury to Norwich and work the next day.
Maybe the Next Time Around.......
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Bladders

Post by Bladders »

I do have willie and the hand jive and josephine on film as well from this night just havnt put them on the tube.
if you desperate ill put them up after my hols mid july
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Yes please Bladders - have nice hols and lots of us I'm sure will appreciate 'Willie and the hand jive' in the future. Thanks.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
verbal gymnastics

charliestumpy wrote:Yes please Bladders - have nice hols and lots of us I'm sure will appreciate 'Willie and the hand jive' in the future. Thanks.
Absolutely! Not just us here where it matters but across the interweb too.