Pretty self-explanatory
Azmuda

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Brighton, 22 June '13

Post by Azmuda »

terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

The man & his machine
Last edited by terryhurley on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

The man
1000177_10151768254162049_1267815149_n[1].jpg
1000177_10151768254162049_1267815149_n[1].jpg (66.41 KiB) Viewed 12714 times
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

Elvis and Chris
1043912_10151768323252049_687652739_n[1].jpg
1043912_10151768323252049_687652739_n[1].jpg (21.41 KiB) Viewed 12711 times
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.theargus.co.uk/leisure/criti ... __June_22/

Elvis Costello, Brighton Centre, June 22

24th June 2013

By John Keenan

You don’t pull the plug on Elvis Costello. After two and a half hours of impeccable entertainment, the management at the Brighton Centre decided the audience could take no more and cut the juice.

They were wrong. Elvis blithely carried on, treating the packed crowd to an acoustic version of Alison until normal barnstormin’ service was resumed.

When the angry young songwriter made his dyspeptic debut in 1977, waving a fist in the face of the bland pop scene, he looked set to tear the pop playhouse down. But it transpired that the kid was no iconoclast. He came to eulogise the great tunesmiths, not to tear up the songbook.

He rolled into Brighton on Saturday night in the guise of a fairground barker, accompanied by his watertight backing band, a spinning wheel comprising his peerless back catalogue and a go-go dancing cage which was inhabited either by the Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine, or by members of the audience who got their groove on with varying degrees of abandon.

The mysterious Josephine plucked members of the audience from the stalls and guided them to their place beside the star. Former Squeeze frontman Chris Difford showed up to run through Take Me I’m Yours.

But the highlight of the night was a pitch-perfect rendition of Shipbuilding, when the conference hall suddenly seemed as intimate as a late-night lounge.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

If its true that they did pull the plug it's probably because Elvis kept talking about the "magnificent architecture" of the venue.

If you've never been there, it's a soulless conference centre.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Another version of Take Me I'm Yours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j04y3r6xJck
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

ANNA - no audio/whatever yet anywhere, it seems...
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
verbal gymnastics

Like Canterbury, I doubt it'll surface. People know Chris Difford so I'm not surprised about footage. Anna was improvised so no one knew it was coming. Also I certainly thought it might only be a verse but it was whole song. The band just played in time and at the end Elvis turned to Davey to sing the song out with him.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

This was a brilliant show.
Other Side of Summer, Blue Chair, All the Rage and Just about Glad all fantastic.
Take Me I'm Yours, Slowdown and Anna big surprises.
Great encores after the sound stopped, especially Accidents will happen.
Good to see verbal, MOOT and BWAP.
We've really been spoilt by this, Basingstoke and especially Southend shows.
EC and the seaside clearly mix well!!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/lifestyl ... -1-5230238

Elvis Costello takes popular hits for a spin

By Steve Holloway

28/06/2013

“Sex, love, death and dancing” is what the man promised and three hours, and God only knows how many songs, later, few could have disappointed.

Costello’s transformation from sneering angry young man to self-professed beloved entertainer is now complete and the change is almost entirely to be applauded.

The occasionally truculent performer of yesteryear has gone in the blink of almost four decades in the business and on Saturday he made a very welcome return to the Brighton Centre, just a year after his last appearance.

The show, billed as the 13 Revolvers – The Return of the Spectacular Spinning Songbook, saw Costello banging out gems from his back catalogue but the tunes were chosen randomly by audience on the spin of a giant wheel complete with his song titles or themes .

After a fairly furious four-song opening salvo, Costello briefly adopted the persona of Napoleon Dynamite (yep, that tag was one of his) and kicked off the audience participation in the style of a fairground barker.

Those who were in the market for the Costello chart-busters weren’t short-changed and were treated to Accidents Will Happen, Oliver’s Army, Watching the Detectives, a majestic Good Year for the Roses, the Charles Aznavour cover She and literally, many more.

There was also plenty for the diehards, including fan favourites and obscure album tracks such as All the Rage, Suit of Lights, Human Hands, and Deep, Dark Truthful Mirror.

He even managed to squeeze in a couple of tracks from his most recent album (2012’s National Ransom) without sending too many running to the bar.

Squeeze songwriter, and now Hove resident, Chris Difford also made a return visit to the Centre’s stage and the pair belted out Take Me I’m Yours.

The only duff note throughout the whole proceedings was a disappointing take on his classic anti-war song Shipbuilding, with a vocal performance as flat as a journalist’s pay packet.

That said, his voice was otherwise in great shape, especially so on the evening’s highlight Tramp the Dirt Down, the controversial song (written way back in 1987) celebrating the death of Margaret Thatcher.

He said singing it had become a bitter-sweet experience following the recent death of his father who suffered from dementia and “six months of misery”.

Costello dedicated it to “all the people done down in those years” and let rip with howling, snarling vocals reminiscent of the Judas-baited Dylan at Manchester Free Hall.

After an ecstatic audience response throughout and seven or eight encores (I lost count) Elvis and the Imposters (including Seaford boy and drumming legend Pete Thomas) seemed fairly pleased with events, and as well they might be.

It’s a rare thing to see a performer doing justice to his old tunes, and even rarer to play them with such energy and without any visible sign of boredom or reluctance.

Let’s hope he’s back next year.
verbal gymnastics

Good review.

I agree - let's hope he's back but at the Dome where there won't be so many empty seats.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Just catching up on some of the killer posts here - Chris Difford w/ EC - Take Me I'm Yours - What? Very cool. That is all. I need a consolidated list of the greatest EC YouTube recordings for this tour. I would include this one for sure.