Elvis & The Imposters play Liverpool, 10 June '13

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Liverpool, 10 June '13

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://trustthewizards.com/2013/06/10/l ... june-2013/

Live Review: Elvis Costello, Liverpool Philharmonic 10th June 2013

As Sly Stone sang, it’s a family affair for the Wizards this evening. All 3 Wizards were at the gig and so were all 3 of the Mrs Wizardses. Rebel Rikkit even brought a long a couple of Junior Rikkits for the occasion.

Before the gig, we were busy Tweeting what songs we wanted to see up on the wheel.

Quite a few of those were played, nearly all of them in fact. The only request we had that was on the wheel but didn’t get played was “Alibi”.

We’re not going to write a full review of this gig because there’s just too much to say really. We were all too busy watching the gig to make any notes so we can’t even give you the full setlist! Instead we’re just going to give you a couple of bullet-pointed lists. Who doesn’t love a bullet-pointed list, eh?

So here are some of the things we particularly enjoyed:

• opening song, Lipstick Vogue. Don’t even give poor old Pete Thomas a chance to warm up with a gentler song, just chuck him straight at the deep end!
• matching polka dot shirts (Pete and Elvis).
• The “Girl” Jackpot: This Year’s Girl, Girls Talk and especially Party Girl
• Elvis’ neon flash shoes
• his wandering scouse accent
• a wonderfully sung Good Year for the Roses, dedicated to the late George Jones of course.
• In Another Room, brilliant!
• Tony and Denise from Ormskirk
• Lip Service!
• Elvis going on a trek up into the balcony to sing Almost Blue
• singing Happy Birthday to Carol and great dancing in the go-go cage from Carol and her friends
• Strict Time followed by Man Out of Time (pity there’s was no It’s Time or Clowntime is Over to follow it though!)
• Steve Nieve’s piano playing, especially on Invisible Man
• the number of cups of tea Elvis drank without a loo break
• King Horse!
• the bits where he sang off mike
• it’s stating the obvious I know but The Imposters are just amazing
• Pump It Up / Peace Love & Understanding. The same last 2 songs as usual but why change it when it’s so great.

There were also some things that we had different opinions on:

• The National Ransom songs in the encore. Some of us like Elvis doing his 1920s music hall vaudevillian schtick. Some of us think it’s a tedious low point in the gig. But at least all of us agree that we like the whistling bits.
• Tramp the Dirt Down. Again this divided opinion amongst the Wizards. Some of us wondered is this a song that still needs to be sung? Others thought it was a highlight.
• She! I don’t think there is any other song that Elvis does that splits opinion like this one. Show stopper or a load of schmaltzy old bollocks? Nobody can say that Steve & Elvis don’t play / sing the hell out of it though!
• Pity that nobody spun the “Imperial Chocolate” option but that’s the luck of the draw I suppose.
• At least one of the Wizards is disappointed they didn’t get picked out to dance in the go-go cage!
• One of the Wizards thought Elvis “messed around” with the arrangements of the songs a bit too much.
• Junior Rikkit said it was “boring”. [cue others shaking heads, tutting and mumbling about "today's youth"]
• Those of us sitting near the front in Row D thought the sound was pretty good but some of us were back in Row K and couldn’t really make out what Elvis was talking about between the songs.
• Last point is not really the fault of the band but it’s a big one. I think we’ve stated on this blog before how much we love Steve Nieve! From row D you couldn’t really see him! Occasionally we saw his head bobbing around and maybe a stray arm flailing around near the theremin but most of the time he was hidden by the cocktail bar prop thing. Next tour, put Steve and all his paraphernalia on a big riser so we can watch the Professor at work.

On the way out, a crew member was on stage clearing up and he threw a few cups into the crowd. Chorizo was lucky enough to catch one so he’s made up about that. There’s only one thing the Wizards like more than gig merch and that’s FREE gig merch.

Two of the Wizards, Chorizo and Rebel, are currently blogging on this site about their various live Costello experiences over the years. See links below and come back soon for further chapters.
And No Coffee Table

"Lip Service" hadn't been played since 1987 (assuming you consider "Cheap Reward" a different song, and you should).

This means all songs from the American version of This Year's Model have now been played at a Revolver show! (Still no "Night Rally" though.)
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

I want one of these.
Next tour, put Steve and all his paraphernalia on a big riser so we can watch the Professor at work.
Great idea. Seeing Steve is very difficult if you're on the floor level.
And No Coffee Table

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/the-s ... esults/151

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Liverpool, England
June 10th, 2013

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine

Lipstick Vogue
Heart Of The City
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
Radio Radio

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook - with The Mysterious Josephine - Your Guide From Your Place In The Stalls To Your Place In The Stars

Good Year For The Roses - Spin 1

"Girl" Jackpot - Spin2

This Years Girl
Girls Talk
Party Girl

In Another Room - Spin 3

Poor Napoleon - Spin 4

Shipbuilding - Spinner's Request

Strict Time - Spinner's Request

Man Out Of Time - IMPROMPTU

Chelsea - Spin 5

Lip Service - IMPROMPTU

The Hammer Of Songs

She

All Grown Up - Mr Nieve's Choice
The Invisible Man

Oliver's Army - IMPROMPTU

Watching The Detectives - IMPROMPTU

Almost Blue - From The Balcony

"Clowns & Fiddlers" Jackpot - Spin 6

Tramp The Dirt Down

Interlude

A Slow Drag With Josephine
Walking My Baby Back Home - Solo
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
Suit Of Lights
All These Strangers

Finale

King Horse

Everyday I Write The Book

"Joker" - Spin 7 "The Mysterious Josephine's Spin"

Pump It Up

Peace, Love and Understanding
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:The variety on the UK tour is massively impressive. I reckon I could just about fashion my dream setlist from it, though Sleep of the Just has yet to appear.
Sleep Of The Just was played on the second night at the Royal Albert Hall. Like you I am liking the variety on this tour. Respect particularly to Steve who seems to have set out to use the Joanna banner to perform some of the dustier jewels in the canon.

MOOT
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

And No Coffee Table wrote:"Lip Service" hadn't been played since 1987 (assuming you consider "Cheap Reward" a different song, and you should).

This means all songs from the American version of This Year's Model have now been played at a Revolver show! (Still no "Night Rally" though.)
If they were to play "Night Rally," this tour, which of the remaining cities should get it? Gateshead, Blackpool, Manchester, Edinburgh, York, Southend, Basingstoke, Brighton or Canterbury?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I had parked up near the Philharmonic yesterday afternoon and was walking towards the Fly In The Loaf when I bumped into Davey and Steve. Had a brief chat with Davey,told him he makes me want to give up bass playing (envy!!) and then saw Steve with Muriel, decided not to intrude but walked past saying "Good Afternoon" as I passed him. He said, "coming to another then" (or words to that effect) so I explained how gutted I was that, like Otis I didn't make the short trek to Milton Keynes and that I'd really missed Invisible Man. He chuckled and I moved on but when Elvis was had finished She and Steve was invited to pick a couple more "Joanna" songs, Elvis mouthed something after All Grown Up but Steve had already burst into Invisible Man. I'd like to pretend that he did that for me ( though there's no real reason to think that.
I must concur with the people from the Wizard (sic) that the sound was really muddy from where I was in row K. I could only make out Steve's piano, anytime he moved onto any other keyboard, it was lost and the mix was definitely bass heavy imho. But you can't help but love this tour, every night something obscure and delightful and as for the "20's vaudeville stuff, I'll put up with anything just to hear Jimmie every night with one of the most breath-taking bridges EC has ever written ( and there;'s a topic I want to write and research more, the great bridges that he's written - "Don't get me talking " :roll:
Great to meet all the forum members at the Fly, The Imposter and Lindsay, John and Yvonne, Bradwell Boy, Sheila and their gang and of course the mighty Colin TB. There is a team photo about to appear at some time, just to warn those of a nervous disposition
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Great show and great to meet Sulky (fleetingly) and I did see Mr & Mrs Top Balcony across the crowded stalls - sorry I didn't get to talk to you. I had a terrible seat on the extreme left, so couldn't see most of the Imposters, though a good view of the lady in the go go cage, so I can't complain too much! I am still on the trail of my "premium package" goody bag including premium seat (ha!), laminate, EP and guitar picks. The box office said try the merch stall, the merch stall said try the box office, the box office (again) said try Ticketmaster. Anyone got one of these yet???
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

After lots of e-mails and veiled threats of revealing what a scam the so-called VIP package is I now have the tour poster, laminates, picks and 7" vinyl.
The Costello promoters, management and merchandisers have no knowledge of this package, it is from a company in the states called Artist Arena, 75, Rockerfella Plaza, New York. and is in no way connected with EC or the current tour.
I mouthed off on Twitter and ticketmaster immediately pm'd me and removed the tweet for fear of exposure or scandal. So if no luck try that as an option.
Hope all goes well.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Hey Sulky - you must be relieved that Steve has stopped calling you John Foyle! :D
oliversa1

Post by oliversa1 »

Great show, my only gripe was that I was in the Gods (that'll teach me to be on a cruise when tickets are released), made up that Elvis came up to the Circle to sing a couple and dance with a young lady right by us.

Highlight song for me was Detectives, the band played it brilliantly.

Roll on Thursday, taking Mrs Oliversa1 to that might get picked, day off work take in the sights and sounds before the main event.
Don't Start Me Talking, I Could Talk All Night.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

John Foyle wrote
Hey Sulky - you must be relieved that Steve has stopped calling you John Foyle!
Yeah, amazing how much less intimidated he seems now he knows I'm NOT JF !!! :lol:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

“oh I just don’t know where to begin…”

What a great night.

I’d been studiously ignoring all the other gig threads so that I could keep my shock and awe intact. Way different from last year’s Empire gig. Local highlights included a geography / history lesson of the Wirral ( “rock’n’roll started in Meols …” ) and him contradicting an audience member - incorrectly it seems - over the origins of the Futurist ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Futuri ... _Liverpool) during the intro to Jimmy .

Hope someone will YouTube Almost Blue from the balcony, as I couldn’t see a bloody thing from the stalls – sounded great though.

Playing Tramp may be debated elsewhere, but I was very pleasantly surprised. I had hoped he wouldn’t play it although his intro about his Dad and dementia was touching and there was real emotion as he sang about “almost his worst enemy”.

I’ve ever heard him play Napoleon before – that was a joy – and last heard Invisible man in 1984 according to the Wiki, thanks for having a word Sulky.

Probably the weak spots were the audience members – including the pair who were give a choice each and both chose She!

But God help me I even found myself liking She – it must have been the ale in the Fly. Great to see everyone including Mr Lapels – hope you got home safely. Shame we had to dash away at the end. Lets hope it’s the Roots next year.

Here’s what the Echo has to say: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on ... ol-4291141

Here without the photos:_

It's always a good year when Elvis comes to town
The wheel of fate points to a brilliant night
Elvis Costello *****
Elvis Costello on stage at the Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool
When you've been touring for more than 30 years, it must get hard to keep reinventing the wheel, so to speak.
Certainly Elvis Costello has managed just that, though, and quite literally, with his Spectacular Spinning Songbook show.
The stage at the Philharmonic was set with a giant spinning wheel of fortune, on which were written the names of some of his greatest hits. And, in this age of interactivity, it would be for the audience to shape the course of events.
For one after the other, they were plucked from the stalls to spin the wheel and let fate decide which of his many masterpieces the rapt crowd would hear.
And thankfully, fate didn't disappoint (although granted there were some that just had to be played, whether the arrow landed on the right spot or not.)
And so the faithful were treated to classics such as the rollocking I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down, the booming Radio, the marching Oliver's Army and the cacophonously brilliant Man Out of Time, with the fabulous lyric “He's got a mind like a sewer and a heart like a fridge”.
And that's not to mention the frenetic I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea and Watching the Detectives, with its sinister, accusatory guitar riff.
Elvis Costello on stage at the Philharmonic Hall Liverpool
There is something very burlesque and vaudevillian about this show as Costello stalks around the stage under a top hat with a cane tucked under his elbow, when not chopping away at his Stratocaster, that is.
But the carnivalesque atmosphere subsided as he sang some of the slower, more haunting tunes such as Charles Aznavour's She, the wistful In Another Room and of course the superb Good Year For The Roses, which, with its line “the lawn could stand another mowing”, is the ultimate autopsy of suburban break-up.
But perhaps the biggest ovation of the night went to Shipbuilding and Tramp The Dirt Down, his hateful ode to Margaret Thatcher which is imbued with more vitriol than even Bob Dylan could have mustered for someone he hated.
Costello is certainly, like all those ships of yesteryear, among Merseyside's finest exports and one that everyone there last night would turn out time and time again to see come sailing back home.

Colin Top Balcony
Pigalle

Post by Pigalle »

Mikeh wrote:I am still on the trail of my "premium package" goody bag including premium seat (ha!), laminate, EP and guitar picks. The box office said try the merch stall, the merch stall said try the box office, the box office (again) said try Ticketmaster. Anyone got one of these yet???
These all worked relatively faultlessly last year: two packages were sent out by the people in New York above - one for the poster and one for everything else. If you are struggling to get your packages contact Ticketmaster as they are the agents handling this sale. If all else fails you can always contact your credit card / debit card issuer and explain not all the goods associated with the purchase have been received; they should then intervene on your behalf.
John

Post by John »

Highlights for me were Lipstick Vogue, This Year's Girl, Party Girl, In Another Room, Lip Service, The Invisible Man, Almost Blue, King Horse and Walking My Bay Back Home!

We were right at the back so not the best view (especially with my eyesight) and Mrs John thought the sound was poor. I thought it was OK but not as good as at the Empire last year. We are so lucky that Elvis is still doing what he does some 36 years later. He has the energy of a much younger man. I thought he sounded a little breathy/wheezy at times. He must have some devoted fans over here as he certainly is The Invisible Man as far as the UK is concerned - no publicity except for the reviews afterwards. Hopefully the new record with The Roots can bring in some new fans.

It was great to meet everyone in the pub before the show. Photographic evidence will soon emerge via sulky lad who will correctly identify everyone!

We met Steve and Muriel outside. Steve was kind enough to allow a photograph. Muriel was keen to point us in the direction of Steve's cd which was for sale inside.

Low point of the evening was the two of us being shat on by an apparently unwell scouse bird whilst walking along Hope Street from the car park to the pub. I believe it is meant to be lucky!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

John

What was your view of Almost Blue in the Balcony like?

Colin
John

Post by John »

Top balcony wrote:John

What was your view of Almost Blue in the Balcony like?

Colin
We were so far back even this was 2 aisles in front of us. Elvis came in from the left side of the hall and was singing whilst heading towards the right. A young lady deliberately intercepted Elvis who sang the rest of the song whilst dancing with her. He then dragged her with him disappearing under where we were and re-emerged on stage with her (for the next spin I think).

There were lots of people videoing this so I am sure it will turn up on Youtube.
John

Post by John »

And No Coffee Table

Ian Prowse tweets:
@drummerwhitey I played Elvis Costello our version of Rosalita yesterday afternoon pal, he loved it :-)
Elvis played a bit of Springsteen's "Rosalita" at last year's Liverpool show in honor of Prowse's daughter Rosalita.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Has The Beat been played ?
And No Coffee Table

sulky lad wrote:Has The Beat been played ?
Yes, in Milton Keynes.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.peterguy.merseyblogs.co.uk/2 ... ers-p.html

Elvis Costello & The Imposters: Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool

It's not just the Stones who keep on rolling.

The first generation of rock n' roll may tour the world's stadia every 18 months and rake in the big bucks for the big shows. But the generation who came next, those spiky souls who are boxed forever as punk and new wave, aren't doing bad either.

And Elvis Costello is out in front.

The great thing about a songwriter continuing to release records and tour is that the live show, like any great production, develops a third act. Sure, we get the hits, misses and maybes - but there is also something tangible hanging in the air capable of turning good nights into great ones.

Perhaps it's just a solid bond between performer and punter... whatever it is, it existed in the Philharmonic Hall on Hope Street last night.

Costello - and his band The Imposters (just an original bass player short of The Attractions) - once again brought his 'Spectacular Spinning Songbook' to town and managed to match last year's contender for gig of the year at the Liverpool Empire.

The sound was certainly better. Steve Nieve's delicious organ washed around the hall, creating space and colour, as Costello bashed away on vicious sounding electric and acoustic guitars. The band, including long-time EC drummer Pete Thomas, sounding fantastic and the songs fizzed by with real urgency.

Tempos were fast and the set list even faster, as The Imposters tore into Lipstick Vogue, (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea, This Year's Girl and I Wanna' Be Loved right from the start.

The first spin of the big wheel - the set is punctuated by audience members being invited on stage to tell Costello their favourites in the hope the wheel lands on one - brings a gorgeous take on A Good Year For The Roses, before a succession of female guests request the ubiquitous She, until Costello finally relents and that reverb-drenched voice serenades the rapt crowd, sat in hushed awe, with the Charles Aznavour standard.

The piano melodies continue with a jazz-tinged Almost Blue (during which Costello ascends to the upper section of the hall to sing), a grand All Grown Up and a beguiling version of Shipbuilding - "diving for dear life" almost opposite the shipyard that brought the lyrics to the former Wirral-dwelling writer. It was some moment... and they kept coming.

There was certainly something in the air when Elvis introduced Tramp The Dirt Down with a touching nod to his late grandmother Mabel's battle with demetia.

"I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy," he revealed, before playing the song that baited Margaret Thatcher and her policies a very long time before it became fashionable.

The song was delivered with grace, style and a nod to the fact that, while those policies are still in full effect, a great song will always live longer that the rest of us.

At the end of it all, after rapid fire deliveries of Oliver's Army and a trio of new (ish) finger pickers - make sure you check out the wonderful Jimmie Standing In The Rain - the audience was exhausted: two and a half hours of emotional delivery will do that to you.

Perhaps that's where said third act comes from: leaving your paying punters with everything. After all, the best thing an artist can give an audience is himself.

And what's so funny about that?

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Everyday I Write The Book
DeathWearsABigHat

Post by DeathWearsABigHat »

Just to let you know that we've added an extra bit to our review of Monday's gig.
The kid of one of my fellow Wizards has done her own review of the gig. I hope this makes you laugh, rather than make you angry, she is only 13.

http://trustthewizards.com/2013/06/10/l ... june-2013/
"trust the wizards, here we go" http://www.trustthewizards.com