Post by johnfoyle »

Bradwellboy

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Sheffield, 8 June '13

Post by Bradwellboy »

I will be there
Pars

Post by Pars »

Very much looking forward to it.We have tickets in the stalls,4th row.Decent venue with plenty of pubs nearby.Sadly,only seeing two EC gigs on this tour although the other one is at Thetford Forest.Never seen EC play outdoors before.Praying for good quality weather and good quality sound.
CJP52

Post by CJP52 »

Yippee! We've finally got our tickets through from Ticketmaster-Row C. It's the closest I've managed to book seats. Am looking forward to this.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Probably too late to post this here, but someone on Twitter is trying to give away two tickets to tonight's show:

https://twitter.com/cazzamitch/status/3 ... 0670472192
Two tickets for Elvis Costello tonight in Sheffield. Free if you can get to Hebden Bridge to collect tonight. Doors at 8pm.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

https://twitter.com/marko7591/status/34 ... 80/photo/1

View from the go go cage. Elvis Costello at Sheffield City Hall tonight. Incredible.

sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'm pleased to say that the gentleman on the extreme right is none other than yours truly, my first front row seat of the tour. Another excellent show with highlights such as Elvis singing Radio Sweetheart for Simon who requested it when he went upon stage and the Happy jackpot which went Possession,Secondary modern and Watch Your Step (eat your heart out, VG !).
Met with Andrew M and Angela, and Paul M before and after the show and then suffered the ultimate ignominy when Steve thanked for em for what I'd sent him - I was obviously puzzled and then he said "Aren't you John Foyle " - the shame of it !!! Fortunately he had resisted the urge to have me arrested for stalking him and I put him straight ! Elvis' was probably the most chatty he'd been all tour and his monologue about how he felt about TTDD was the most articulate and convincing justification he'd made for singing it - and it was hugely appreciated by this audience who had earlier in the day had the English Defence League holding a rally in their city. As I arrived, I passed about 15 mounted police and once I'd parked my car I sat in the open near the City Hall and watched the remnants disperse . A group of about 8 or 10 white blokes passed two West Indian lads and obviously mouthed off something and the lad wanted to retaliate( which was the provocation that the EDL had wanted ) but his friend restrained him. As his friend dragged him away, a lone policeman watched and then radioed his colleagues (I assume) but no further action was required Almost immediately 6 lads skate-boarded past me and a rich and diverse ethnic group they were, laughing and being like lads their age should be and their comradeship and lack of prejudice in their behaviour to each other struck such a chord to me that I wanted to proclaim them to all the bigots that had been in that City ! Sorry for the sermon, I just felt that this little scenario had been given to me to illustrate the differences "between justice and contempt". Here endeth the second lesson ! :oops:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

SULKY!!! i'm more jealous that you met with ANDREW M & ANGELA then that you saw EC again!! that has GOT to be my good old long time trader SHEFFIELD friend Mr. Mace, yes??? so sad that i've kinda lost touch. i could never get him to do the facebook thingie whose ONLY GREAT FEATURE is making it easier to stay in touch with some people. is he doing well? he never posts here neither, right? I,VE GOT TO GET AROUND TO EMAILING HIM!!!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

sulky lad wrote:and then suffered the ultimate ignominy when Steve thanked for em for what I'd sent him - I was obviously puzzled and then he said "Aren't you John Foyle " - the shame of it !!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice photo from the go-go cage, further enhanced by the vision that is Sulky Lad!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Er, what did I send Steve ?!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Steve didn't seem to know and I was a bit bemused so that never got cleared up ! Dvey said the screen that was installed between him and Pete on the second night at the RAH (and what has been present ever since) was because the drums were "bleeding" into his vocal mike and thus getting amplified a second time and (I guess ) probably being slightly out of phase as well. BA, you're right, I've been trading with Andrew for a number of years, we first met in 2002 when I attended the Sheffield show and Elvis stood at the edge of the stage and kept the riff from .....Dust going for about 3 or 4 minutes - brilliant but sadly never captured for posterity :cry:
PS, the photo makes it look as though I've got 3 willies, this is not the case ! :oops:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Steve e-mailed me a few months ago looking for any old cuttings I may (!) have about him, for use in promoting his album in the autumn. I never got a response to what was sent - maybe that's what he was referring too.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Setlist from http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/the ... esults/151

01. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
02. High Fidelity
03. Uncomplicated
04. Mystery Dance
05. Radio, Radio
06. Shipbuilding - spin 1
07. Oliver's Army - spinner's request
08. Bedlam - spin 2
Beauty Or Beast? Jackpot - spin 3
09. All This Useless Beauty
10. Monkey To Man
11. Radio Sweetheart
Happy Jackpot - spin 4
12. Possession
13. Secondary Modern/Watch Your Step
Joker Jackpot - spin 5
14. Stations Of The Cross
15. A Slow Drag With Josephine
16. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
Joker Jackpot - spin 6
17. Watching The Detectives
The Hammer Of Songs
18. I Want You
Joanna Jackpot - spin 7
19. She
20. I Still Have That Other Girl
21. Everyday I Write The Book - spin 8
22. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
23. Less Than Zero
24. Tramp The Dirt Down
Encore 1
25. Heart Of The City
26. You Belong To Me/The Last Time
27. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea - spin 9
28. Pump It Up
29. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?

A lot of jackpots spun, which is usually a good thing in terms of the flow of the set. Has the same banner been spun twice in a row before? I know there are two Joker banners usually, so the odds of a second "Joker" after the first are 20/1.
MOOT
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

That looks like a superb night out. Possession/Sec Mod/Watch Your Step - heaven. I Still Have That Other Girl + She, great. And one of my faves off Nat Ran, The Stations of the Cross. Yes, sirree. The only problem might have been the proximity of a man with three willies on public display.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

The real skill lies in grooving so that they swing in harmony !! :oops:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

From the photo I'm intrigued to see what's on Elvis' "laptop" and also what suspiciously looks like a setlist taped to the monitor.

Sulky - as far as suffering the ignominy of being called johnfoyle, it could have been worse. Steve could have asked if you were me! :lol:

The only jealousy about the show is Watch Your Step :mrgreen:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Everyday I Write The Book and a snippet of Oliver's Army

Paul B

Post by Paul B »

verbal gymnastics wrote:From the photo I'm intrigued to see what's on Elvis' "laptop" and also what suspiciously looks like a setlist taped to the monitor
The computer screen is very intriguing. It has the wheel on it, not lyrics as expected. Does this mean there's a sinister conspiracy to fix the wheel (possibly organised in secret agreement with a shadowy South Asian betting cartel) via complex system of magnets, tripped Las Vegas shakedown style by, if I recall Pete's story on the Songbook live DVD extras, Paddy's index finger. EC is then shown the selection before the spinners are even on stage. Just a thought...but it could explain why my normally successful attempts at moving objects through will power alone didn't result in a Beauty or Beast Jackpot in London last week.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Paul B wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:From the photo I'm intrigued to see what's on Elvis' "laptop" and also what suspiciously looks like a setlist taped to the monitor
The computer screen is very intriguing. It has the wheel on it, not lyrics as expected. Does this mean there's a sinister conspiracy to fix the wheel (possibly organised in secret agreement with a shadowy South Asian betting cartel) via complex system of magnets, tripped Las Vegas shakedown style by, if I recall Pete's story on the Songbook live DVD extras, Paddy's index finger. EC is then shown the selection before the spinners are even on stage. Just a thought...but it could explain why my normally successful attempts at moving objects through will power alone didn't result in a Beauty or Beast Jackpot in London last week.
Perhaps the picture of the wheel is simply the screen's wallpaper? Sorry for the boring explanation, yours is definitely more interesting.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

This video of Girls Talk says it's from Sheffield, but it's not listed in the setlist on elviscostello.com.

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Azmuda wrote:This video of Girls Talk says it's from Sheffield, but it's not listed in the setlist on elviscostello.com.
It's listed now.
"Happy" Jackpot - Spin 4

Possession
Secondary Modern/Watch Your Step
Girls Talk
http://www.elviscostello.com/news/the-s ... esults/151
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

7½ minutes of Bedlam: