Pretty self-explanatory
migdd

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Birmingham, 31 May '13

Post by migdd »

Setlist?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Very disappointing wheel. Nothing new except a row of question marks.

It's just like last year - same wheel, hammer of songs, cage, request light, sulky. MOOT, VG...
oh Lordy...and SAME top hat too!!! :lol: :lol:
bronxapostle wrote:
and forgive my immediate "retweet" here...i hate when something i want many to view falls at the bottom of a page....

i got a good trivia question as i've been singing it all day..."FRIDAY NIGHT IN BIRMINGHAM!!"
on which classic LIVE album by a 1970's British band does the great late singer intone this in between songs????
p.s. i shouldn't call them a 70's band as they do still exist and always have in various incarnations. but THIS line-up was premier.
krm

Post by krm »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist: http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/the ... esults/151

Birmingham, England, May 31st, 2013

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine

I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
High Fidelity
Uncomplicated
Radio Radio

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook - with The Mysterious Josephine - Your Guide From Your Place In The Stalls To Your Place In The Stars

My All-Time Doll - Spin 1
Oliver's Army - Spin 2
Less Than Zero - IMPROMPTU
Brilliant Mistake - Spin 3
Pump It Up - Spin 4
Mystery Dance - IMPROMPTU
You Belong To Me - IMPROMPTU
Good Year For The Roses - Spin 5

"???????" - Miss Josephine's Choice

A Slow Drag With Josephine
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
Suit Of Lights

"King's Ransom" Jackpot - Spin 6

Dr. Watson, I Presume
Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head - IMPROMPTU
Tramp The Dirt Down - IMPROMPTU

Interlude

Lipstick Vogue
Watching The Detectives

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook

God Give Me Strength - Spin 7
Chelsea - IMPROMPTU
Beyond Belief - Spin 8

The Hammer Of Songs

I Want You

Finale

Strict Time
Out Of Time
Man Out Of Time - Spin 9
Peace, Love and Understanding
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Some of the jokes were the same as well!

Will post a more detailed report in due course but for the moment:

I can't stand up was the opening song
Catalina's replacement. The Mysterious Joanna, was far friendlier, interactive and smiley than Catalina. She seemed to be genuinely into the music
He sang Tramp the Dirt Down
Some parts of the show seemed like it was going through the motions
VG's dancing attracted the attention of a young lady (who disappeared rapidly after half a dance with me :lol: )
Many more males spun the wheel and they seemed to manage getting people off stage better
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Possibly Live & Dangerous, Thin Lizzy??

Agree with Verbal re predictable wheel etc. would have liked more
variety. Still never heard All Time Doll or Dr Watson before.
Off to Cardiff & Bristol later!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

A few thoughts on this show.

Even on the opening night, Elvis seemed to be managing his voice, not much chat between songs, no remarks before or after Tramp The Dirt Down. After he played it, he just left the stage, without even a wave, and there was consternation in the audience (my bit of it anyway) as to what was happening. He did not seem happy, but then it's his show and his format, so if a spinner asks for that song, he can always just say "no". His delivery of the song was very straight, no lyric changes, there was more "regret" in the song than just "hate", but that is my feeling nothing else. I expect others will ask for it on this tour, and he may choose not to play it - "there's no reason to play that song now" might be his answer.

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

The (male) spinner said the song he wanted to hear is TTDD wasn't on the wheel. Elvis played the guy's wheel spin, kind of pondered, and then played it. I think he was thinking whether or not to play it. However there was no need to play it - it didn't come up on the wheel and he could have left it without further needing to explain. But it was an odd run through of the song.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

http://rockingthemidlands.blogspot.com/ ... phony.html
Rocking The Midlands wrote: Saturday, 1 June 2013

ELVIS COSTELLO AND THE IMPOSTERS @Symphony Hall, Birmingham 31/5/13

RTM saw Elvis Costello for the first time last year. Same venue, same set up. A big wheel on stage members of the audience spinning said sphere and Elvis and band playing whatever it lands on, while spinner watches the song from the on stage bar. It is all very relaxed.

In our review of the 2012 show, we wrote that we didn’t expect to see “a lady dancing in a cage wearing a short purple dress and knee length boots” during the course of a singer/songwriter evening. The lady, the boots and cage are back this time too, but this year what shocked us was Costello himself. Towards the end of this mammoth two and a half hour show, he plays “I Want You” and during in the song, he rips out an absolutely stunning guitar solo. If nothing else, it proves that his gigs always have the power to surprise.

The rest of it was pretty damn good too. He and his band The Imposters began with “I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down” and also played the always welcome “Radio Radio” before the first audience member, given the chance to “come from the stalls to the stars” as host for the evening Napoleon Dynamite puts it spins “Oliver’s Army” which is played with a slightly altered arrangement. That “Dynamite” actually is Costello with a different hat on tells you all you need to know about the evening.

Hostess “The Mysterious Josephine” plucks some more people out of the crowd and “Pump It Up” is a winner, someone else wants to hear “Good Year For The Roses” doesn’t spin it, but it is played anyway.

Around half the songs are audience picks, which says much for the abilities of Imposters to play such a repertoire, while others are chosen by Costello himself (“If you can’t cheat in Birmingham, then where can you cheat?” he says with a grin)

The main set closes with “Tramp The Dirt Down” a song which you suspect has just a touch more resonance this year, but the band are far from finished. During “Watching The Detectives” Costello goes for a stroll around the crowd, picks three more people out for another spin, plays “(I Don’t Want to Go) To Chelsea and a fantastic and plaintive “Shipbuilding” but still isn’t done. A second encore which includes “Out Of Time” and “(What’s So Funny About) Peace, Love And Understanding” is what actually ends things.

Only an artist with a fine and extensive back catalogue could pull a show like this off. And only one with supreme confidence in their songs would try it. Far more than just a conventional gig, this is a extravaganza which takes elements of comedy (Costello is genuinely funny on occasion), variety, fairground and old style entertainment, and you cannot say fairer than that. It would be nothing without the songs, however, but as everyone knows Costello has good ones in spades.

Quite superb – and unlike the last time we saw this show, we knew that it would be.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

http://ianstpeters.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... irmingham/
Ian St Peters wrote:Elvis Costello and the Imposters at Symphony Hall, Birmingham

Posted: June 1, 2013 in Live review

How do you make a performance of your best songs more exciting?

Add some glamour, three top musicians…Oh…and a spectacular spinning wheel…

That was the intriguing backdrop to Elvis Costello’s latest show which rolled into Birmingham on the first night of his UK tour…

The fabulous fairground fandango opened with an overture featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine, dancing in a cage…and set the tone for the night…

Off we soared with I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down and High Fidelity from 1980 followed by Uncomplicated from the album Blood and Chocolate then Radio Radio from ’78.

Costello then swapped his guitar for a top hat and cane to transform into alter-ego Napoleon Dynamite to introduce the main attraction – The Spectacular Spinning Songbook.

On to the stage came glamorous assistant The Mysterious Josephine who selected people from the audience to Choose a Choon from the excellent 36-year catalogue.

First on stage came Steve who chose My All-Time Doll followed by Hilary who hit the jackpot with the classic Oliver’s Army and was rewarded with a dance in the cage…

The theme was set for a brilliant show and Costello and his Imposters went into an impromptu version of the very first single Less Than Zero from 1977.

Martin was next to be plucked from the audience and his spin landed on Brilliant Mistake from 1986’s King of America. He was followed by another Martin who hit the jackpot with the storming Pump It Up and he too was rewarded with a dance in the cage with the delectable Ms De La Fontaine.

Mystery Dance was followed by You Belong To Me before Kate had her turn to spin the giant wheel and with a little help from the host, managed to land on her favourite, Good Year For The Roses from 1981 – amazing to realise this was Costello’s last UK Top Ten hit!

That fact has not stopped Mr MacManus from amassing a superb body of work and on we went with A Slow Drag With Josephine, Jimmie Standing In The Rain and Suit Of Lights

Onstage came Andy with a jackpot spin of King’s Ransom followed by Dr. Watson, I Presume and Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head. The excellent first part of the show ended with the stunning anti-Thatcher anthem Tramp The Dirt Down from angry days of 1989’s Spike.

Back they came with Lipstick Vogue and 1977’s debut hit Watching The Detectives before Costello went walkabout in the crowd to choose the lucky people to make the final spin of the wheel. This drew up the powerful Burt Bacharach collaboration God Give Me Strength followed by ’78 hit (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea and Beyond Belief from 1982’s Imperial Bedroom.

The spectacular sideshow still had more thrills to offer as Michael was invited to swing the fairground hammer and ring the bell. This he dutifully did and up came I Want You from Blood and Chocolate.

Off they went again to a standing ovation but were back with the stunning Shipbuilding before rocking out with Strict Time, followed by a cover of Chris Farlowe’s ‘60s classic Out Of Time and Man Out Of Time. The two-and-a-half hour, 30 song showground spectacular ending with Nick Lowe penned Peace, Love and Understanding.

Hit packaged shows are all very well if the singer or band has had a large number of top tunes to choose from. Elvis Costello has only had a handful of Top 20 hits. He has however written some superb songs during a career which has produced more than 25 albums.

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook idea is pure genius as it gets the audience involved and makes each performance different. Above all, it provides Costello with the opportunity to sing and play songs which may otherwise be overlooked. It was also great to see his personality shine through as he clearly revelled in the role of seedy sideshow hustler.

Huge credit for the quality of the performance must go to keyboard player Steve Nieve – Pete Thomas on drums and Davey Faragher on bass who never missed a note no matter which song was thrown at them. The Symphony Hall was built for quality music and they produced music of the finest quality.

Elvis Costello is a musical genius who has worked with and is respected by some of the biggest names in the music business. In the early days he was portrayed as an angry young man not afraid to speak his mind in biting lyrics.

Tonight we saw the real fun side of the London-born songwriter with Irish and Liverpool roots. In the Spinning Songbook he has created a vehicle in which he can cast aside all the preconceptions and have fun. A musical masterstroke and a superb show….

Star rating ****
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Just a few points - there were no solo songs, both Josephine and Jimmie had band backing, which worked far better with Josephine than it did for Jimmie (imho). Steve seemed a bit subdued in that there was little to show his amazing talent apart from God Give Me Strength and the start of Oliver's Army which started a la 1996 Attractions shows with just Steve and Elvis to begin with and then the rhythm section coming in later. Elvis' reaction to TTDD was strange in my mind - he definitely seemed to pause before deciding to play it but then walked off as if he were mad at something - whether it was at himself for succumbing or because he didn't want to pass anymore comment on it, I couldn't judge without him clarifying it himself. I thought the shows might be a bit too much like last year but the band seemed to hit the ground running and I got goosebumps into High Fidelity which seemed to bode well and Lipstick Vogue was like a 1978 version almost incendiary ! VG, MOOT and I stayed backstage afterwards and met Steve (and Muriel), Pete and Davey and they kindly signed the poster VG had been given by a very accommodating member of the Symphony Hall staff. I told Davey and Pete I thought that Lipstick Vogue had been brilliant and he'd really given it some stick and Pete feigned mock horror at my awful pun . They were all friendly and generous with their time. We waited for a while but Elvis didn't appear and the lovely floor manager of the Symphony Hall told us EC had probably left out the back door into the loading area where a car had been waiting for him. VG and I seemed to be the only ones dancing to You Belong To Me and Steve turned and faced us as they belted that out and seemed to be clocking us, then I sat down and the young lady started dancing with VG until her medication finally kicked in !!
Mr Marantz seems to have a full audio file so if Funky Gibbon wasn't in attendance, then I shall do the (dis)honourable thing. I haven't listened to it yet but it's a very happy day, 2 weeks holiday, new house on the horizon and and 9 (or 10 if Mrs Sulky lets me)gigs still to go ! Just going to check the state of the motorways and then off to Cardiff :D
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i'd be dancing with you & VG sulky too (no homo!!! not that there is anything wrong with that :lol: ) and 9 or 10 gets me kinda green, not that i would EVER want to or be able afford to do THAT number. good being rich. huh??? :wink: :wink: you will get plenty of surprises when THAT amount is a wrap. enjoy them all, tape them all...ANALOG! and to ffk: good guess on that THIN LIZZY but, no...come on UK'ers. "friday night in Birrmingham" WHO SAID IT in 1973 upon LIVE vinyl?
verbal gymnastics

Great review sulky. Not much more to add as you've stolen everything I was going to say anyway :lol:

Josephine and Jimmie fared better with a pared down band arrangement.

Also a very nice word about the Symphony Hall. The venue is my favourite in the country and the staff are extremely helpful. Thanks to Les who saved me the poster which duly went to sulky as it saves me buying him a birthday present!

As far as the dancing is concerned. I'd spent a lot of the show doing what could loosely be described as dancing. A young lady danced with me during Chelsea when she obviously became overwhelmed after a couple of minutes and then left me.

When the band went off. I asked her if my dancing scared her off and she laughed and gave me a big hug.

We saw her at the stage door going in and I assume she had a VIP package.

So if you were that lady, there are plenty of opportunities for a follow up dance session on the tour. Medication not withstanding :lol:
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Looks like a great set list. I'm sure more killer shows are ahead. Have fun. Wish I was in the UK right now.
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

Birmingham was a fantastic night but I do agree with the comments that he was 'measured' in his vocal delivery, perhaps wary that he has to sustain this for the other shows. As with last year he seems to be constantly chewing a menthol gum which must be very difficult to do and sing at the same time.
As regards the so-called VIP package, this seems to be a very misleading product. Basically it is a 'package' that the ticket agency will forward to the purchaser at some time in the following weeks and is NOT related to any 'on the night' advantages or privileges. I know this as I foolishly bought this package thinking that it might include a 'meet and greet' but this is not the case.
Elvis, his management, promoters and merchandising are not involved or connected with this package, it is purely a marketing ploy by ticketmaster to sell 'gift shop' add ons.
Anyway, really enjoyed the gig, off to Bristol on Sunday, then the Albert Hall and I still have the re-scheduled Basingstoke.
Maybe I'll get into the Go-Go cage again !!!
verbal gymnastics

Given your comments about the package (which I assumed included a meet and greet) I was tempted to say "You little fool little fool".
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/pass ... -spin.html

Elvis Costello In A Spin

By Marion McMullen on Jun 3, 13 08:50 AM

ELVIS Costello is spinning music lovers around with the return of his spectacular spinning songbook.

He started the wheel rolling at Birmingham Symphony Hall and the tour offers the best example of how to combine quality music with audience interaction.

People can join Costello on stage to spin the wheel and try and select their song favourite from those listed. Then can then take a seat on stage or, those brave enough, can take a turn in the go-go cage and strut their stuff.

It means every evening is different, unpredictable and memorable.

Elvis Costello has a lot of songs to draw on from Pump It Up and Watching The Detectives to Shipbuilding and Forgotten Man.

One fan even requested Tramp The Dirt Down, which wasn't on the wheel, but proved even more powerful post-Margaret Thatcher.

Costello leaves you in a spin and wanting more. With no support and no interval, this is pure Costello as his best and the 13 Revolvers Tour hit its mark in Birmingham.

The Man Out Of Time found his perfect setting in the symphony hall. Spin that wheel again.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Steve's partner Muriel posts to Facebook -

Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

If no-one has answered BA's question yet, FRIDAY NIGHT IN BIRMINGHAM is from the Uriah Heep double live album. In the early 70's it was obligatory for heavy rock bands to bring out a live double LP, usually with a drum solo on side 4 which made the invention of the CD and the "skip" button one of the greatest advances in modern technology. Do I win a prize?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Only if you don't confess to owning this album !! :oops:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Mikeh wrote:If no-one has answered BA's question yet, FRIDAY NIGHT IN BIRMINGHAM is from the Uriah Heep double live album. In the early 70's it was obligatory for heavy rock bands to bring out a live double LP, usually with a drum solo on side 4 which made the invention of the CD and the "skip" button one of the greatest advances in modern technology. Do I win a prize?

SORRY Mikeh...i JUST see your correct response TODAY! GOOD WORK M8!!! peace, benny
sulky lad wrote:Only if you don't confess to owning this album !! :oops:
SULKY!!????!!!! is that ANOTHER URIAH HEEP insult??? as if they haven't been targeted for FORTY + YEARS now. :lol: :lol: leave them be, they are the BEST of all the true HEAVY METAL acts. MANY stellar songs on several great albums, with GREAT five part harmonies and good clean fun live. that 1973 line-up with the late and great DAVID BYRON and GARY THAIN, alongside MICK BOX, KEN HENSLEY and LEE KERSLAKE on the drums (sans long boring drum solo) were the tops! and to this day, they are still a VERY RESPECTFUL live act and have actually released several VERY FINE studio lps in recent years. and we sadly lost a fine bass player/singer last month with the passing of TREVOR BOLDER! and i STILL want to hear the IMPOSTERS rip through "EASY LIVIN'" one night. "friday night in Birmingham...."
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I lived in north Birmingham for 23 years, you don't want to lnow about "Friday night live in Birmingham" :roll: :lol: