Elvis supporting Elton John at Hyde Park Friday 12th July

Pretty self-explanatory
sheeptotheslaughter

Re: Elvis supporting Elton John at Hyde Park Friday 12th Jul

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I had a wonderful day. The weather was brilliant. Lovely to see VG and Nicola I admire your strength at standing in the front row for all that time.

Nick Lowe was good and seemed in good mood.

Elvis was wonderful apart from being a bit croaking in places. Thetford Forest maybe a problem today. The voice was struggling on a couple of the quieter ones. We were a few rows back to the left of the stage. Elvis went down really well around us. (9 out of ten)

Ray was average I thought. I know a few Kinks songs so I knew most of the set but he seemed to me to do the opposite to Elvis. He did what he wanted rather than crowd pleasers. His voice was poor and four costume changes in a 75 minute set seemed a bit much. I saw him about two years ago and he was much better. That said Waterloo Sunset and Sunny Afternoon were great. And worth seeing him for that alone. (6 out of ten)

The non Elvis fans in our party The wife, the daughter and my nephew thought Elvis was excellent and thought Ray was poor. My two said he was better than Southend. (The wife has just said she liked Ray dont knock old Ray)

Any moans on here are only small moans. Our party had a great day out. And all for free.
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

Good to see everyone. It was a great set, no problems getting to the front even though we only got there 15 minutes before Elvis came on, and from where we were standing at least the audience seemed to really get into it (although 'I Want You' maybe a strange closer in that scenario, do you think he was planning to play it?)

We didn't make it to the end of Ray, his voice was awful and too much "pointing the mic at the audience for a lager-fuelled singalong" for my liking. Still, when it's free you can't really complain.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

SoulForHire wrote:Accidents Will Happen has always been my favorite opening song for a concert: "I just don't know where to begin . . . "
I don't think he was meant to start with Accidents. He picked up his guitar, played the opening chord for I can't stand up, and there was no sound (as had happened a couple of times with Gabrielle Aplin who preceded him). The he played Accidents followed by I can't stand up.

This was an excellent set. Elvis was in a playful mood. It was so hot that even he didn't wear a tie :lol:

There were only a couple of minor points. Bedlam is a great song but, as with the TV footage of Glastonbury, didn't really work. Also in my view I want you did not work as a closer for the set he played.

The opening songs were hit after near hit and warmed the crowd up very well. I think Elvis went down very well.

Nicola76 and I got there about 4pm and were on the front barrier. Nick Lowe was excellent and I personally prefer him solo as his songs are so good. The sound was fantastic for him and he made a few quips about being promoted to the main stage because of Elton's illness. We also saw Davey watching all of the set and a brief appearance from Elvis by the side of the stage.

I got a great acknowledgement from Davey who pointed to me. I pointed back, he pointed back and we both smiled!

One of the things I have fully loved about this tour is being acknowledged by the band and their appreciation of fans, particularly those who have seen one or two shows. Additionally there is no doubt that his people read this site. My highlight will always be the All the Rage request.

But I digress.

A few points

Pump it up included Ain't that a lot of love
I want you included a verse of I say a little prayer
Bedlam included the Nick Lowe song he has played before but I can't remember the name of it. Johnfoyle - help me out please
During the piano solo in She, Steve went into Tripitina and Elvis stood behind him and started fooling about which was unexpected
Elvis was in a fun mood throughout
Plenty of smiles onstage

Overall, great stuff, especially as it was free and we all had a great view.

Good fan meet up too, Nicola76, Man out of time, Sheeptotheslaughter, Mr and the lovely Mrs Roofdog (good luck with that list mate :lol: ) and Peter Horsted and Anna.

Sheeptotheslaughter said he saw me on the big screen so I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to anyone who had just eaten :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Bedlam included the Nick Lowe song he has played before but I can't remember the name of it.
Big Kick, Plain Scrap?
verbal gymnastics

That's the one!

Thanks.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I was checking out the AXS TV broadcast tonight, they showed about 40 minutes of Kaiser Chiefs, which bodes well for EC tomorrow night. Then they ran an ad for tomorrow's broadcast, and it was all about Elvis! They showed clips of him probably from 2009 or 2010 with the Imposters, and announced "Exclusive live event...Elvis Costello and the Imposters!" Then they added "also featuring Lionel Richie.." and others, but only showed the other artists names over to the side, while footage of Elvis kept playing. So it looks quite promising for an Elvis-centered program Sunday!!

Dave
And No Coffee Table

FAVEHOUR wrote:They showed clips of him probably from 2009 or 2010 with the Imposters
I was hoping you'd know where those clips came from.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
FAVEHOUR wrote:They showed clips of him probably from 2009 or 2010 with the Imposters
I was hoping you'd know where those clips came from.

Ha! I was going to ask you! It's been winding me up. Judging by the cowboy hat and lack of weight, it sure looks like 2010, but I can't think of a pro-shot Imposters show from that year....maybe it's taken from an in-house feed at one of the shows (there weren't that many Imposter shows that year.) I hear Monkey To Man and Alison...so it could be from Reno, Biloxi, Atlantic City....?

Dave
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.theupcoming.co.uk/2013/07/13 ... ve-review/

Ray Davies and Elvis Costello at British Summer Time Hyde Park | Live review

With Elton John laid up with appendix issues, the headlining duties fell on Ray Davies and Elvis Costello at Hyde Park. And neither disappointed.

Taking the stage at exactly 7pm, Costello and his impossibly tight backing band, the Imposters, tore through an abbreviated set of his back catalogue as well as the R&B hits he’s become almost equally known for. Taking time for a few brief pauses, Costello led the crowd through a happy birthday sing-along for his 86-year-old mother and engaged in a Freddie Mercury style call-and-response with the entire park. The most energetic responses were for his material from This Year’s Model, with Radio Radio and set staple Pump It Up getting the early evening crowd ready for Ray Davies. He even slipped in a Purple Rain cover, which he promptly destroyed, but taking an extended ending with I Want You was the perfect way to set the tone for what was to come.

Eagerly running out on to the stage, Ray Davies and his band dubbed “Ray’s Imaginary Friends” played a hit parade of Kinks songs and the crowd ate it up. Davies was just as well to let the fans handle frontman duties, letting them sing the biggest choruses on Where Have All the Good Times Gone and easy highlight of the night Waterloo Sunset. Even with the sun down, Davies seemed to certainly be feeling the heat requiring four shirt changes for the band to take an extended cue on. Emerging finally in his iconic Union Jack blazer, he took a moment to honour his little brother and Kinks founding member, Dave Davies, citing: “without him, none of this would be possible”. Finally, he brought the house down, albeit expectedly, with Lola.

If you came to the show to have a nice evening and get entertained, Davies was certainly fitting. But if you wanted to see an artist who still has his vocal chops decades into his career and is still willing to take a few risks, then Costello was the choice for this show. Either way, not even Elton John’s illness could detract from what was certainly a great show.

Verdict: 4 stars out of 5
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
mick63

Post by mick63 »

Yes a really enjoyable evening and from where I was Elvis went down a storm. Noticed two people in the park, one guy wearing a goodbye cruel world t shirt and a lady near the front wearing an Imperial bedroom tour t shirt. Very jealous!!! Why didn't I keep those old tour t shirts?? Not that they'd fit anymore.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

So glad it went well! Good ol' Elvis. Verbal, glad you got the big screen treatment! x
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

P.S. I enjoyed the slow-burn start to Oliver's Army, which I haven't seen before. My mate said he did it at Glasto, too (I didn't see all the footage). So when did he first do it like that? Is that a 2013 thing?
verbal gymnastics

Neil. wrote:So glad it went well! Good ol' Elvis. Verbal, glad you got the big screen treatment! x
If I'd known I'd have had my hair, make up and nails done :lol:

Neil. wrote:P.S. I enjoyed the slow-burn start to Oliver's Army, which I haven't seen before. My mate said he did it at Glasto, too (I didn't see all the footage). So when did he first do it like that? Is that a 2013 thing?
I've seen various versions. My favourite was the 1996 tour when it was only Elvis and Steve and then Pete and Bruce would walk on just before "but there's no danger" and play a full band version. Elvis added The Pretenders' Kid and Gordon Lightfoot's If you could read my mind at the end.

Welcome mick by the way.

As a long time fan, how come we've not seen you before?

Glad you enjoyed it.

One thing I've just remembered. This was the first time I have seen a band version of She, albeit that the band kicked in after Steve's piano flourish (if I remember correctly).
mick63

Post by mick63 »

Thanks for the welcome. A very long time fan, just haven't got into all the forum posting business. I'll do my best to enter into the spirit of the forum if I've got anything interesting to say.
verbal gymnastics

You don't have to have anything interesting to say mick - that's why I have so many posts :lol:
mick63

Post by mick63 »

Thanks Verbal, hope you don't regret saying that.
krm

Post by krm »

mick63 wrote: I'll do my best to enter into the spirit of the forum if I've got anything interesting to say.

The spirit of the forum is basically to have nothing interesting to say! Welcome mick63!
And No Coffee Table

FAVEHOUR wrote:I hear Monkey To Man and Alison...so it could be from Reno, Biloxi, Atlantic City....?
I think Biloxi is the best guess. There's a clip of "Stella Hurt" in the ad, and Biloxi is the only 2010 show on the wiki with that song in the setlist. The audience videos from Biloxi look similar to the clips in the ad.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.virtualfestivals.com/latest/news/14091

Matt Miles - 13 July 2013

(extract)

With British Summer Time, Hyde Park is transformed into a pop-up party village. With Elton John’s last minute cancellation, BST decided to make Friday free-for-all, the ensuing influx of people ready to thoroughly enjoy themselves lent to the event's carnival atmosphere. Yet with rock legends Ray Davies and Elvis Costello still topping the line-up, taking the free tickets feel a little like thievery.

The whole affair feels like a cute little village fete, there is a sense of community and everyone is there to have fun. Carousels, helter skelters, sideshow games, pricey beer and food stalls all help add to the quaint charm. Most of the stalls are decked out to look like permanent structures, from town hall to local village pub, Hyde Park currently has it all. BST certainly lives up to its name on this particular Friday evening, not a cloud in the sky as the summer sun smiles down on the lush green park. It’s almost as if Barclays have somehow managed to bribe the weather gods specifically for their event.

Taking to the stage wearing a black suit and a pink trilby, Elvis Costello (6) is blessed by a set kissed by the sun. The crowd would like nothing more than to sip on their cold overpriced beer and be blown away by the new wave punk forefather, however the set does lack a certain gusto. Whether this is owing to the stage, sun or setting is unclear. Opening up with ‘I Hope You’re Happy Now’, it took about a minute for The Imposters to find their stride, leaving the opener to feel a little muffled and shambolic. Once they hit ‘Watching The Detectives’ though they were in full swing. As he launched into Notting Hill’s famous ballad ‘She’, Costello took the time to get the crowd to join him in singing ‘Happy Birthday’ to his 86 year old mother. ‘Pump It Up’ was to be the only song that really shone out and proved the powerful songwriting and performance Costello is capable of. Closing on ‘(Whats So Funny ‘bout) Peace, Love and Understanding’, Costello played a set that won’t go down in history, but on such a beautiful sunny evening it hits exactly the right spot. As he leaves the stage he encourages everyone to enjoy Ray Davies.

This dubious account gets this comment -

Arr Gee
Did you actually go to this? Elvis Costello opened with Accidents Will Happen. Also his set was far more engaging and tighter than Ray Davies' whose interludes and improvisations were a bit tiring.
Certainly agree that the free tickets did feel like thievery, I did buy a ticket earlier in the week thinking that I could always leave early during Elton, so having the two acts I wanted to see for free was a real bonus.
Great night out, and would have been so for the original admission price.

http://onlyrockanroll.wordpress.com/201 ... ng-stones/

Elvis Costello and Ray Davies, Hyde Park, 12/07/13

Simon Wright

View: Loitering towards the front, Stage right

The last free gig in Hyde Park was in 1976, so a triple bill of Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello and Ray Davies on a beautiful July evening for no money was an unexpected treat, created by headliner Elton John cancelling with appendicitis. After a well-received acoustic set from Nick Lowe and an unmemorable turn from Gabrielle Applin Elvis Costello provided an object lesson in how to storm a festival: play your hits, play them loud, play them fast. The set was drawn mainly from his first three LPs, plus a beautifully sung rendition of the ghastly She (Aznavour rather than Parsons). A final flourish of Pump It Up, (What’s So Funny About) Peace, Love & Understanding and Shipbuilding brought the set to a climax which was then marginally defused by a brooding I Want You.
verbal gymnastics

By the way Matt, Elvis didn't wear a suit, he started with Accidents and he didn't end with PLU (although he said one more and being Elvis, did two).

Does he write for the Daily Mail? If not then perhaps be should.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Well, quite pleasantly surprised that AXS broadcast Elvis' entire set! The only thing they cut was his Happy Birthday to his mum! Strange!

Anyway the show was supposed to end at 1 am, with Lionel Richie to follow Elvis, so when it got to be 11:50 pm, I figured a half hour of Elvis would the most we'd get. But they went over to nearly 1:10 am with Elvis. No commercials, just some irritating banners at the bottom of the screen. If you tape the replay, be sure to add 30 min extension!

He certainly seemed to be in a good mood!

Great to get two full set broadcast in the past 2 weeks!

Dave
verbal gymnastics

Fantastic.

I'm not surprised they cut the happy birthday segment.

As you rightly say, it's good to have had two full sets broadcast in the last couple of weeks. Shame they've been so similar.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

We were just talking about Ray Davies's set and Mrs Sheep summed it up. It was as if he didn't really want to be there.

The constant referring to Elton as 'Bunter' was a little below the belt. Unless of course they are great friends.

Agree with the comment there was too much pointing the mike to the crowd.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Well, quite pleasantly surprised that AXS broadcast Elvis' entire set! The only thing they cut was his Happy Birthday to his mum! Strange!

Anyway the show was supposed to end at 1 am, with Lionel Richie to follow Elvis, so when it got to be 11:50 pm, I figured a half hour of Elvis would the most we'd get. But they went over to nearly 1:10 am with Elvis. No commercials, just some irritating banners at the bottom of the screen. If you tape the replay, be sure to add 30 min extension!

He certainly seemed to be in a good mood!

Great to get two full set broadcast in the past 2 weeks!

Dave
Any torrent yet?
verbal gymnastics

More importantly, was I on the tv? :lol: :lol: