'Painted From Memory' on Broadway

Pretty self-explanatory
stricttime81

Re: 'Painted From Memory' on Broadway

Postby stricttime81 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:37 pm

sweetest punch wrote:http://variety.com/2017/music/news/elvis-costello-film-interview-1202637190/

On the backburner...

(...)
“Burt and I have about 20 songs we wrote for two musicals that have not been produced,” he says, including an expanded dramatic adaptation of the “Painted from Memory” album that’s gone on the back burner.
(...)

They should just do a Painted From Memory II before Burt croaks.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer

sulky lad

Postby sulky lad » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:19 pm

Looking at that most recent photo of Elvis and Burt, I thought perhaps he already had !

docinwestchester

Postby docinwestchester » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:57 pm

stricttime81 wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:http://variety.com/2017/music/news/elvis-costello-film-interview-1202637190/

On the backburner...

(...)
“Burt and I have about 20 songs we wrote for two musicals that have not been produced,” he says, including an expanded dramatic adaptation of the “Painted from Memory” album that’s gone on the back burner.
(...)

They should just do a Painted From Memory II before Burt croaks.

If the songs are all written, then Elvis should get in the studio and get cracking! He wrote the orchestral arrangement for "You Shouldn't Look At Me That Way" so he can do the same for these new songs, with or without Burt. Then hit the road with Steve and orchestra. Easy-peasy.

sulky lad

Postby sulky lad » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:40 am

A tour with Steve and orchestra would also give Elvis the chance to play more from A Face In The Crowd in the arrangement he's probably got in his head !

bronxapostle

Postby bronxapostle » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:57 pm

sulky lad wrote:Looking at that most recent photo of Elvis and Burt, I thought perhaps he already had !

Now, now....play nice boys. Lol

sweetest punch

Postby sweetest punch » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:19 pm

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news ... -interview

(...)
Is there another album of music coming from you and Burt?

We wrote 10 more Painted From Memory songs for a Painted From Memory musical, which got as far as one workshop and then it seemed to run out of steam because it’s a very difficult proposition to put so many slow, sad songs into a theatrical evening. I believe those and a couple of other songs we wrote for another musical project are some of the most beautiful melodies Burt has ever written.

Are they coming out?

I will make sure they damn well do, the best of them that suit me for singing. Not every song obviously suits being heard outside of the context.
(...)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.

jardine

Postby jardine » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:00 pm

(thnks, s.p.,for moving this and a face... over to these threads).

I like the "damn well" vehemence of this because i agree, these songs and others he's been writing and hoarding/holding back, or whatever this odd time has been... well, yes, let them out into the world and let them free range, and free yourself from them. it would make the world a very wee bit better, and, re: Burt, he deserves another accolade, especially given this: "some of the most beautiful melodies Burt has ever written." Even in our joking everyone is quite right. Burt is very old and should have this wee sit in the sun while he can. I'm ready.

Elvis, like you've called such things before, make another beautiful object -- maybe even couple these new songs with the original pfm remaster just released, or a small short 10 song thing, or some other odd configuration.

verbal gymnastics

Postby verbal gymnastics » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:30 am

jardine wrote:Elvis, like you've called such things before, make another beautiful object -- maybe even couple these new songs with the original pfm remaster just released, or a small short 10 song thing, or some other odd configuration.

Or put the new songs onto a CD or vinyl and place them in random copies of Painted from Memory...
international laughing stock...

Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”