Elvis & Imposters, San Sebastian (Spain), July 25, 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
Azmuda

Re: Elvis & Imposters, San Sebastian (Spain), July 25, 2013

Post by Azmuda »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: What I'd never noticed was that he's done a medley of Radio Radio with the Jam's In The City. Over the last few years. Couldn't find a youtube clip of this. Anyone know of one?
Near the end of this Thetford video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FBoX8EKTbw#t=2m12s
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Thanks! So just one quick line at the very end. I wonder if that's the only example of Elvis doing the Jam, or any others out there?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

My EC 'In the city' mp3 is NY 2007-05-16 at end of 'Radio r.'.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... Be_My_Baby

shows about 4+ instances if you scroll down to 'i'.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

johnfoyle wrote:
What's the How Insensitive song that The imposter said was in Clubland?

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... Insensatez
Thanks John.

Otis - the only other Paul Weller reference I can think of is when Elvis sang My Ever Changing Moods with The Style Council.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Elvis Costello - 'How insensitive-A Insensatez' - Clubland 2003 ... I found it originally on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvFY_XBvNfc
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

johnfoyle wrote:
What's the How Insensitive song that The imposter said was in Clubland?

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... Insensatez
It was indeed "Insensatez" I couldn't think of the original Jobim title at the time.. It was just a few bars in the guitar solo, which seems to be standard in most performances of "Clubland" in recent years.

I'm also quite sure that "American Gangster Time" was played, apologies for missing that on my original post. :oops:

More on the show later.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Bit of a case of 'blink and you miss it' with Insensatez?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down / High Fidelity / Radio, Radio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgvKyZ3oc1M
John

Post by John »

Hatless!!
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

My good friend Toni in Barcelona informs me that some footage of the concert will be televised tomorrow (Tues 13 Aug 2013) on Spanish TVE2.. this is in the early hours around 1am.

Apologies for not reporting earlier on the concert, but I have little to add to the reports here. I was a little underwhelmed by the performance, which while being enjoyable, never threatened to achieve any real high point or reveal too many surprises. Perhaps it was the late performance time, or the fact that it was a mainly random festival crowd, many of whom were not fans, I'm not sure, but Elvis appeared a little tired and was going through the motions somewhat. There wasn't much banter except for a dedication of "Shipbuilding" to the train crash victims.. which seemed a strange choice, along with some mumbled words about "We all love them and we send them lots of love" or something to that effect. Neither did I hear Elvis address the crowd in Spanish or Basque, which in past years he has done. Throughout most of the show there was a very fine drizzle that the locals will know as "siri miri" which may have affected his voice. With the high temperature and humidity it is like someone spraying you with a mist gun :( Perfectly steamed in 5 minutes.

Don't get me wrong there was nothing I could really fault except for the now usual..flat "Shipbuilding" :( and The Imposters pulled off a competent and professional performance, but it was my impression.

Other than that it was course a joy to be in San Sebastián to eat good pintxos and drink fine wine and I even managed a swim before the concert, which in many ways was The highlight. :shock:

Speaking of food the local press reported that Elvis arrived in San Sebastián on the Wednesday evening and ate lunch Thursday at The Rekondo Hotel.. choosing prawns from Huelva, Hake and tuna from the menu. He returned on the Sunday to eat with Diana and the kids after Elvis' show in Lisbon was cancelled.(as reported elsewhere in this thread) Coincidence ?

I have some press clips including a 6 page magazine feature (Route 66) and some other cuttings which I've annoyingly mislaid.. I will try and scan some of these in when I can.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

http://www.diariovasco.com/jazzaldia/no ... 91047.html

Short video resume of the festival, which was deemed a success.. Mentions Elvis and family returned on the Sunday, and Elvis took a stroll along the beach with one of the kids.
Santi

Post by Santi »

The imposter wrote:My good friend Toni in Barcelona informs me that some footage of the concert will be televised tomorrow (Tues 13 Aug 2013) on Spanish TVE2.. this is in the early hours around 1am.
You can watch it now here.

CORRECTION: after few seconds they stopped it; TVE2 doesn't own the rights for an internet broadcast.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Just watched the TV broadcast. Full set was shown except for the final song PLU. Don't know if it was just my TV set but the audio sounded like it was taken directly from the mixer with no ambient mics so the crowd was inaudible. This made the gig sound flat and without much atmosphere, which funny enough was my impression at the gig. However the crowd were not so flat and unresponsive as the video might suggest.

Other than that I was able to pick myself and my friends out in almost every one of the crowd shots :)

Hopefully some kind person may soon share this as a torrent.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Goodness That was quick ! :shock:

Thank You Very Much :D
Santi

Post by Santi »

For those who still haven't got it (and don't want to spoil their Dime ratio) DVD is here.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Santi wrote:
For those who still haven't got it (and don't want to spoil their Dime ratio) DVD is here.
Does this need a password?
Santi

Post by Santi »

Ulster Boy wrote:
Santi wrote:
No password required. The DVD is split in 9 rar files hosted in FileFactory. You can download them immediately if you are a premium subscriber but you can also get them for free (then it takes some time between downloads).
MistakenForLilies

Post by MistakenForLilies »

Santi wrote:
Ulster Boy wrote:
No password required. The DVD is split in 9 rar files hosted in FileFactory. You can download them immediately if you are a premium subscriber but you can also get them for free (then it takes some time between downloads).
Parts 5 and 7 will not download, no matter how many times I try. :( I keep getting the message "All free download slots are in use. You can download this file immediately by upgrading to FileFactory Premium. Otherwise, please feel free to try again shortly." But all the other parts downloaded fine, and I get this message for those two parts no matter when I retry the download.

Anyone else having this problem? I really want to be able to see this concert and can't get it from Dime.
Till I speak double Dutch to a real double duchess.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Looks like the show is also on You Tube, in 16 segments.

Dave
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Here's mp3 of the entire broadcast audio:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/miia9 ... io_rip.rar

As already noted, this is a very sterile sounding soundboard recording. There is nearly zero audience noise. Here's a sample:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/d07qrb4 ... _Shirt.mp3
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

docinwestchester wrote:Here's mp3 of the entire broadcast audio:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/miia9 ... io_rip.rar

As already noted, this is a very sterile sounding soundboard recording. There is nearly zero audience noise. Here's a sample:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/d07qrb4 ... _Shirt.mp3
Recording sounds great, thanks for posting. As for the performance.... confirms my nagging doubts which started while at the show in Derry and continued while watching the Glastonbury set on tv, that the singing is pretty ropey and at times almost unlistenable. Not so much the obvious croakiness on this set (understandable after so many gigs this summer, and possibly due to the steamy atmosphere described above), but more the general thinness to the tone - and the very variable intonation. Also, the mangling/stretching of the phrasing. Accepting he's a man approaching sixty, I do wonder if the pretty constant gigging in recent times is doing some real damage to his vocal chops.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

It seems my feelings and perceptions about the gig were proved to be correct. Elvis shared his frustrations and echoed my sentiments in this extract from a recent Spanish interview.

http://www.efeeme.com/elvis-costello-el ... nagotable/

In any case , I guess you still feel comfortable playing your most popular songs in the format in which they were conceived , as on your recent Spanish tour last July . The concert in San Sebastian , in fact, was shown a few days later on our public television ...

The San Sebastian one, for me was not as enjoyable as we were on a site with free access , on the beach , and it's a different atmosphere. Very different from when I played there in The Plaza de Trinidad , three years ago. On this occasion there were technical problems during the first third of the show. In the end it worked , but to be honest it wasn’t the concert that I'm most satisfied with . Barcelona and Madrid had an exceptional atmosphere . When we saw that we had three dates in Spain ... well , or one in Spain , one in Catalonia and another in the Basque Country ... [laughs ] , we were afraid that there wouldn’t be anyone there, because every day we see in the news what a bad time people are having for economic reasons, and although the number of people in Barcelona and Madrid was lower than other years , everyone was incredibly enthusiastic and grateful. I was not at all disappointed.

Will try and avoid festival shows from now :( Especially free ones ! Never mind, I had a nice couple of days :)