Butts

Oliver's Army censored by BBC 6Music

Post by Butts »

Apologies for a Daily Mail link, couldn't find it on another site

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml
sheeptotheslaughter

Re: Oliver's Army censored by BBC 6Music

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

It is me I cursed it. I was talking to a friend on work last week about karaoke of all things and I mentioned to him that if you sing Oliver's Army it is changed to white figure.

And that when it is played on the radio they never blank the 'n' word out. Seems like I spoke to soon.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

When I hear the song and sing along at the shows. I can't bring myself to say the word even though I know its context.

Amazing that someone has complained after all these years. Perhaps it was a younger listener.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Goodness me, they'll be having a go at Pills and Soap soon at this rate...
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

[quote="verbal gymnastics"]When I hear the song and sing along at the shows. I can't bring myself to say the word even though I know its context.

Amazing that someone has complained after all these years.[quote

Are we talking about the "n" word here or VG's singing cos I know which is probably the biggest crime against humanity :-)
This has always bugged me- I know a few of us have listened to the NY press conference of 1979 post Ohio and I distinctly remember one journalist saying " you use racist terms , you have a history of using these words" and it' s extremely hard to counter that by claiming that it's a matter of context because an awful lot of people believe there is no context that justifies the use of that word
verbal gymnastics

I was talking about the N word.

Although black people have tried to reclaim it and use it, it's not a word I can bring myself to say.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

When my Elvis Costello tribute band plays this song (we're called Oliver's Army, so, we always play it...) I don't sing the original words, for reasons others have already expressed. i have no problem with them artistically, and I have no problem with EC writing or singing them. But I don't feel like I can. So I have sung several different placeholders:

1. "White figure" (the most common, I think, when others play this)
2. "One more widow not one whit bigger" (a reference to "Incident by Countee Cullen http://allpoetry.com/poem/8497385-Incid ... tee_Cullen)
3. and most recently "one more widow, one less Justin Bieber," which has always gotten a great reaction and which is the most satisfying solution so far.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
John

Post by John »

Elvis certainly doesn't stress the word when I hear him sing this song. It seems to be glossed over a touch either by singing it quieter or coming away from the mic. For example about 1 min 54 secs into this from last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBOwl8wpJrU

Not like back in the day on primetime ITV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iN4Ql-x1Bs
verbal gymnastics

Welcome back noiseradio - did you think your band was censored by BBC6 Radio?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I wouldn't have been the first time. Bastards.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.streetbonersandtvcarnage.com ... te-nigger/

Posted by
Gavin

(extract)

The song is about the British army in Northern Ireland and how they perceive the Irish. Costello is saying they have nothing but contempt and see the Irish as “white niggers.” This is just a couple of decades after “No Black, No Irish, No Dogs” signs were common. So what the fuck is the problem? The character in the song who says “One more widow one less white nigger” is A BAD GUY! And yes, back in 1979, plenty of bad guys like that existed. They still do. Especially in Norther Ireland. Fucking Elvis Costello is on your side, you boobs! Mark Twain was on your side too. Now he’s spinning too fast in his grave to be anyone’s friend.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

'Woman Is The Figure Of The World' as a 21st century-version of the John Lennon song? :lol: