Tickets on sale 19th March
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis Costello & Imposters play Dusseldorf, July 21, 201

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone etc?
taramasalata

Post by taramasalata »

A very good friend of mine who lives in nearby Cologne is going to see him there for his first time EVER!
Hope he plays "Chewing Gum", finally having the possibility to sing this great verse in the city he's quoting:

"He's away on a business trip, in Duesseldorf,
but she's becoming immune to the lack of glamour and danger of a West-German city today"

and then all together: "TAKE THAT CHEWING GUM OUT OF YOUR EAR"!!!!!!
I love it!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

But then you'd be singing in the wrong place!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
taramasalata

Post by taramasalata »

verbal gymnastics wrote:But then you'd be singing in the wrong place!
Duesseldorf is everywhere...

or:

"She's an everywhere girl in an everyday mess
who'll pay for the crimes of Duesseldorf"
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Jimmie Standing In The Rain: http://vine.co/v/hKKEgw7WtZZ
My Three Sons (I think!): http://vine.co/v/hKKE616KlpU
migdd

Post by migdd »

Jan Boneko posted the setlist on facebook:

Mouth Almighty
Little Fool
Secondary Modern/Watch Your Step
Everyday I Write the Book
Strict Time (up to here Esther Bad sound, you could hardly hear Elvis+ Steve)
Green Shirt
Rocking Horse Road
Little Triggers
Poor Napoleon
Love Field
She
Almost Blue
Kid about it
Shipbuilding
Oliver's Army
Bedlam
Chelsea
I Want You

Encores I
Josephine
Suit of Lights
My Three Sons
Jimmie Standing in the Rain

Encores II:
All Time Doll
Pump It Up
Radio Radio
What's so funny about PLU
Alison

Highlights of the gig;
Sitting first row center
Fantastic atmosphere with justament few people
After shouting for Suit of Lights actually getting it
The neon green socks of Elvis
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

That main set is fucking unbelievable.

Is that real?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:That main set is fucking unbelievable.

Is that real?
ditto DOC...ditto!!!
verbal gymnastics

I'll ditto that as well.

Elvis has worn the neon green socks every night. I love them.

I take it "Esther Bad sound" means "really bad sound" (predictive text kicking in). Shame if that's the case.

I'd love to have seen this show.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

could it be E read this???

Re: What song will the U.K. Tour start with ?
Postby bronxapostle » Fri May 31, 2013 3:48 pm

I AM SORRY!!!! i refuse to believe it will be the "I HOPE YOURE HAPPY>HEART OF CITY etc." start yet again! that's actually a solid two years old by now. i think we'll see more of the I CANT STAND UP or LIPSTICK VOGUE type openers, unless he truly feels like unleashing and going at the opener in a different way nightly. Bruce has great results with this "you never know the opener until it starts being played" approach semi-regularly! 8) 8)

it sure looks like he has finally opened it up a bit with the show OPENERS as of late, right? what did we get in the last couple of weeks to start? TURPENTINE, HOME IS ANYWHERE and MOUTH ALMIGHTY with a possible ONE BELL RINGING too. now, that's what i call STRETCHING OUT! different openers will suit E and the shows so very well.
verbal gymnastics

The opening salvos for the Songbook show were pretty much the same combination throughout as the intros to the show.

However Elvis can do pretty much what he wants on "normal" shows. I loved Turpentine and Home is anywhere being openers. I'm still jealous of this show - Love Field is a favourite of mine.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

You cn bet all the Euros in Greece that there won't be a recording made to prove such a set list :!:
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Turpentine

Post by Turpentine »

Though only about 400 fans came to see Elvis in Düsseldorf, EC & the Imposters were in a very good mood and played a brilliant setlist.
It was the sixth time I saw EC live and this time was the best performance. He played some of my all time favourites like "Mouth Almighty", "You little Fool" and "Suit of Lights". And besides that all the classic tracks. Main emphasis was put on the early EC-phase, not many songs from more recent albums. I put two videos of the concert on youtube, one (She/Almost Blue) already published, the second being "Oliver's Army": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-UyH6tjQs4
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.wa.de/nachrichten/kultur/nrw ... 19178.html

Elvis Costello sucht in Düsseldorf die Nähe des Publikums

Von Tim Griese Düsseldorf -  Die Düsseldorfer Tonhalle ist ein beeindruckendes Konzerthaus, der große Saal aber eine überschaubare Angelegenheit. Und dann kommt Elvis Costello, ein vielfach ausgezeichneter Musiker mit einer gehörigen Portion Weltruhm. Passt nicht? Passt wunderbar. So gut, dass es den Briten nicht nur auf der Bühne hält, sondern er bei heimeliger Atmosphäre sogar durch die bestuhlten Reihen schlendert.

Selten sind die Fans dem Sänger so nahe gewesen wie bei „She“. Charles Aznavours Klassiker läutet eine Phase der stillen Klänge ein. Der Pianist spielt, bedächtig schreitet der Sänger über die Bühne, dann verlässt er die kleine Auftrittsfläche, wandert durch die Halle und kokettiert mit den Damen. Costellos 1999er Version, die er für den Soundtrack der Komödie „Notting Hill“ aufnahm, ist fester Bestandteil seiner Konzerte und sorgt für gebanntes Lauschen im Publikum.

Beim sich anschließenden „Almost Blue“ vom 1982er Album „Imperial Bedroom“ nimmt Costello gar auf einem freien Sitz Platz und singt zwischen schmachtenden Blicken weiter, schüttelt Hände und spaziert lächelnd nach vorne. Die folgende Programmgestaltung ist frei. „Steve, spiel was!“ ruft Costello dem Keyboarder seiner Band, den Imposters, zu. Steve Nieve beginnt zu klimpern, und Elvis Costello dreht im Schmuseton beinahe noch eine Runde durch die Tonhalle.

Gar nicht bedächtig hat das Konzert zuvor begonnen: Feinen Rock liefert Costello mit „Everyday I Write a Book“ ab, bei „Watching the Detectives“ ist der Reggae-Grundton unverkennbar. „Poor Napoleon“ steigert sich dramatisch, und „Green Shirt“ wird von bedrohlich klingenden Trommeln begleitet. Und dann gibt’s auch noch eine Menge Blues und nicht weniger viel Rock n’ Roll. Ein feines Paket hat der 58-Jährige da geschnürt.

„Oliver’s Army“ könnte ein Extrakt der 50er oder 60er Jahre sein und fühlt sich wie eine Roy-Orbison-Nummer mit etwas Buddy Holly an. Nach den ersten Klängen gibt es Szenenapplaus. Auf die Nummer, die erfolgreichste in Costellos Karriere, scheinen die meisten Zuhörer gewartet zu haben. Der Einstieg riecht stark nach Piano-Ballade, dann aber entwickelt sich der Song schön schmissig.

Zurückhaltend gehen Costello und seine drei Bandmitglieder bei „I Want You“ zu Werke, dann dringt der schwere Blues durch, ehe Costello mit roboterhaften Bewegungen in ein Gitarrensolo übergeht und zeigt, wie beanspruchbar der Vibratohebel an seinem Instrument ist. Zum Ende der über zehnminütigen Version kommt das ekstatische Pianospiel von Steve Nieve dazu. Ein grandioser Abschluss des regulären Sets. Die Zuhörer stehen mittlerweile, und das tun sie noch lange. Denn Costello macht keine Anstalten, das Konzert zu beenden.

Nach kurzer Verschnaufpause kommt er für weitere neun Songs zurück auf die Bühne – und läuft zur Höchstform auf. Countrylastig gestalten sich die ersten Nummern. Costello mit umgeschnallter Akustikgitarre beginnt mit „A Slow Drag With Josephine“ und entführt in die amerikanischen Südstaaten des frühen 20. Jahrhunderts. „Suit of Lights“ ist stilsicherer Country-Rock, „Jimmie Standing in the Rain“ versprüht Liedermacher-Qualität.

Groß ist die Freude der Fans schließlich bei „Alison“ vom 1977er Debütalbum „My Aim Is True“. Die Ballade lädt zum Mitsingen ein, und genau das machen die Zuhörer beim Refrain ganz gefühlvoll. Ein schöner Moment.

--------------------
Google translation:

Elvis Costello investigated in Dusseldorf close to the audience

By Tim Griese Dusseldorf - Düsseldorf's Tonhalle is an impressive concert hall, the main hall but a manageable affair. And then Elvis Costello, an award-winning musician with a good dose of world fame. Does not fit? Fits wonderfully. So good that it keeps the British not only on stage, but even he strolls through the cabin layout rows in a cozy atmosphere.

Rarely are the singers, the fans have been so close as in "She". Charles Aznavour classic heralds a phase of quiet sounds. The pianist plays slowly progresses of the singers on the stage, then he leaves the small performance area, walking through the hall and flirting with the ladies. Costello's 1999 version, which he recorded for the soundtrack of the comedy "Notting Hill", is an integral part of his concerts and ensures spellbound listening in the audience.

During the subsequent "Almost Blue" from the 1982 album "Imperial Bedroom" Costello takes even on a vacant seat and continues to sing between languishing glances, shaking hands and smiling walking forward. The following programming is free. "Steve, what game?" Costello keyboardist calls his band the Imposters to. Steve Nieve starts to strum, and Elvis Costello turns Schmuseton almost another round through the concert hall.

Not deliberately, the concert has been started: Fine skirt provides Costello "Everyday I Write a Book" from where "Watching the Detectives" the reggae tone is unmistakable. "Poor Napoleon" increases dramatically, and "Green Shirts" is accompanied by ominous-sounding drums. And then there's also a lot of blues and not much less rock n 'roll. A fine package has put together since the 58-year-old.

"Oliver's Army" could be an extract of the 50s or 60s and feels like a Roy Orbison number with some Buddy Holly. After the first sounds there is applause. The number, the most successful in Costello's career, most of the audience seem to have been waiting for. The entrance smells strongly of piano ballad, but then the song develops nicely snappy.

Restrained go Costello and his three band members in "I Want You" works, then passes through the heavy blues before Costello goes with robot-like movements in a guitar solo and shows how claimable is the vibrato bar on his instrument. At the end of the ten minute version of the ecstatic piano playing of Steve Nieve happen. A grandiose conclusion of the regular set. The audience stands now, and they do not last. Because Costello makes no attempt to stop the concert.

After a short breather for a further nine songs he comes back to the stage - and running in top form. Country-heavy to make the first numbers. Costello belted acoustic guitar starts with "A Slow Drag With Josephine" and kidnapped in the American South of the early 20th Century. "Suit of Lights" is stylistically confident country-rock, "Jimmie Standing in the Rain" singer-songwriter exudes quality.

Great is the joy of the fans finally at "Alison" from the 1977 debut album "My Aim Is True". The Ballad invites you to sing along, and that is exactly what the audience the chorus very emotional. A beautiful moment.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://nachrichten.rp-online.de/kultur/ ... -1.3555627

Elvis Costello – Klassiker mit Stil

Der 58-Jährige gab ein mitreißendes Konzert in der Düsseldorfer Tonhalle.

Nur knapp 400 Menschen kamen in die Düsseldorfer Tonhalle, das ist zwar wenig, aber auch egal, denn diese Leute waren das beste Publikum, das man Elvis Costello hätte wünschen können. Das Konzert war ja eigentlich schon vorbei, der 58-Jährige hatte bereits vier Zugaben gespielt, aber alle standen auf, klatschen und jubelten, auf dass er noch nicht gehen möge. Da verbeugte er sich, legte die Fäuste an den Mund, nickte, griff in die Saiten und holte zwei Klassiker hervor: "Pump It Up" und "Alison".

Costello trug ein Hemd mit Paisley-Muster, eine arg stramme Weste, natürlich Hut und schwarze Brille, und wenn er für eines seiner heftigen Gitarrensoli einen Ausfallschritt machte, sah man seine neongrünen Socken. Überhaupt guckt man diesem Mann gerne zu, er ist der Beweis, dass man damals schon die richtige Musik hörte. Die Songs klingen noch immer ziemlich gut, das umwerfende "Watching The Detectives" von 1977 etwa, "Chelsea" (1978) und das mächtige "I Want You" (1986). Costello singt Liebeslieder mit der gebotenen Dringlichkeit, er macht Druck, weil das, was er sagt, wichtig ist, und er macht Krach, weil er nicht nur ge-, sondern vor allem erhört werden möchte. Ein Dutzend Gitarren lagerte am Bühnenrand, ein Helfer reichte sie an – Costello brauchte fast alle.

Die Güte der ersten Songs indes ließ sich höchstens erahnen, es schepperte, als hätten sich Costello und seine Drei-Mann-Band The Imposters den Soundscheck gespart; nur allmählich wurde es besser. Man konnte dann immerhin gut nachvollziehen, wo sich Costello einst bediente im London der 70er Jahre. Er mischte Soul, Punk und Reggae, das Piano legte die Fährte zum Jazz, und man wunderte sich neuerlich darüber, mit wie viel Stilwillen das alles zu etwas Gültigem verbunden wurde.

Dem glänzenden ersten Drittel folgte ein Balladenteil. Costello sang "She", den Tränenzieher aus dem Film "Notting Hill". Er hielt das Mikro in der rechten Hand, den Daumen der linken hakte er in die Tasche der Jeans. Er sah aus wie ein Junge, den man zum Vorsingen aufgefordert hat, er nuschelte über die erste Strophe hinweg und ging hinunter ins Publikum wie ein Schnulzensänger. Einige nutzten die Gelegenheit und ließen sich mit ihm fotografieren. "Shipbuilding" klang dann einfach nur schief, Verzeihung, aber es saß nur mehr jeder zweite Ton – dabei ist das einer seiner schönsten Songs. Keiner nahm es ihm übel, einer rief gar: "Genial!".

Überragend der Schluss. Costello und die bestens aufgelegte Band ließen die Songs ineinander übergehen, keine Pause, bloß Tempo: "Suit Of Lights", "Radio Radio". Niemand saß, das war so toll. Costello breitete nach mehr als zwei Stunden gerührt die Arme aus: "Ich mag euch", meinte er wohl. Jeder verstand.

-----------------------
Google translation:

Elvis Costello - classic style

The 58-year-old gave a rousing concert at the Tonhalle in Düsseldorf.

Only about 400 people came to the Tonhalle in Düsseldorf, which may be little, but not matter, because these people were the best audience that you could not ask for Elvis Costello. The concert was pretty much over, the 58-year-old had already played four encores, but all stood up, clapping and cheering, that he may not go. As he bowed, put his fists to his mouth, nodded, struck the strings and pulled out two classics: "Pump It Up" and "Alison".

Costello was wearing a shirt with paisley pattern, a badly-fitting vest, hat and dark glasses, of course, and when he made a lunge for one of his fierce guitar solos, saw its neon green socks. Actually I watch this man likes to, he is the proof that one was already hearing the right music. The songs still sound pretty good, the stunning "Watching The Detectives" about 1977, "Chelsea" (1978) and the mighty "I Want You" (1986). Costello sings love songs with a matter of urgency, it makes pressure, because what he says is important, and it makes noise, because he not only wants to ge-but above all be answered. A dozen guitars overlaid on the edge of the stage, handed it to an assistant - Costello took almost all.

The quality of the first few songs, however, have been imagined at the most, it rattled, when Costello and his three-man band The Imposters would have saved the sound check, and only gradually it got better. You could then at least understand well where Costello once operated in London in the 70s. He mixed soul, punk and reggae, laid the track for the piano jazz, and again we wondered about how much style will with all of this is connected to something validity for something.

The first third was followed by a brilliant ballads part. Costello sang "She", the tears puller from the movie "Notting Hill". He held the microphone in his right hand, the thumb of the left he hooked into the pocket of the jeans. He looked like a kid you invited to audition, he mumbled through the first verse of time and went down into the audience like a crooner. Some used the opportunity and have been photographed with him. "Shipbuilding" then sounded just wrong, sorry, but it only sat every other sound - this is one of his most beautiful songs. No one took it amiss, even one cried: "Cool."

Outstanding concluded. Costello and the band were launched well the songs merge into each other, no break, just pace: "Suit Of Lights," "Radio Radio". No one was sitting, it was so great. Costello spread to more than two hours, stirred his arms, "I like you," he said probably. Everyone understood.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
krm

Post by krm »

http://youtu.be/MdFVtSSPc-M

another clip with extracts from 2ndary modern, WTD and All time doll.

plus intro and outro with Caroline!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Mouth Almighty! Only 400 people! Incredible set.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

krm wrote:http://youtu.be/MdFVtSSPc-M

another clip with extracts from 2ndary modern, WTD and All time doll.

plus intro and outro with Caroline!
Anyone any thoughts on where Watching The Detectives might come in the set list? It was not in the list that Jan Boneko posted. This YouTube clip suggests after Secondary Modern, and before My All Time Doll, but that still leaves the exact order uncertain.

MOOT
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Is this a new guitar? Looks different.

Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

The very same classic Gibson adorned the stage at Westport, but if I recall correctly, he didn't pick it up and play it once.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis Costello & Imposters play Dusseldorf, July 21, 2013

Post by Man out of Time »

Photo gallery with colour photos by Ingo Lammert

Derwestern.de

MOOT