Shipbuilding wanted by Boyle for Olympics opening ceremony

Pretty self-explanatory
Judge Holden

Shipbuilding wanted by Boyle for Olympics opening ceremony

Post by Judge Holden »

Anyone else read the interview with Danny Boyle in yesterday's Guardian Weekend magazine? Boyle wanted to use Shipbuilding to help tell the tale of Britain's industrial past but EC refused any involvement.
I was cynical before the Games but Boyle & Cottrell Boyce delivered something which still moves me, when I look back - a celebration of my, my parents' and grandparents' Britain, rather than the souvenir biscuit tin Jubilee vision normally offered us. Shipbuilding belonged there.
Azmuda

Re: Shipbuilding wanted by Boyle for Olympics opening ceremo

Post by Azmuda »

Judge Holden wrote:Anyone else read the interview with Danny Boyle in yesterday's Guardian Weekend magazine? Boyle wanted to use Shipbuilding to help tell the tale of Britain's industrial past but EC refused any involvement.
I was cynical before the Games but Boyle & Cottrell Boyce delivered something which still moves me, when I look back - a celebration of my, my parents' and grandparents' Britain, rather than the souvenir biscuit tin Jubilee vision normally offered us. Shipbuilding belonged there.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/mar ... mpics-film
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Wow - wonder why he refused? It would've been great. That said, it's such a sad song - would it have worked?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

With Danny being turned down by both Elvis and David Bowie it's amazing the ceremony was any good at all :lol:

It's no surprise to me that Elvis refused permission. It's probably because he was not allowed to headline the opening ceremony and play a medley of Shipbuilding, Peace in our Time and Tramp the Dirt Down.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Neil. wrote:Wow - wonder why he refused? It would've been great.
At several shows last summer, Elvis set out an anti-Olympic position. The gist is well summarised here:

https://twitter.com/shanerichmond/statu ... 5046281217

Basically Elvis still bears a grudge for the 1936 Olympics.

MOOT
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Thought the 1936 bit was pretty ridiculous wen he came out with it in Cambridge. Boyle's opening was sublime and Shipbuilding would have been just perfect. I bet when everyone else realised their cynicism was misguided and actually the Olympics was one of the best things on these shores in their lifetime, Elvis continued to rant over 1936 and wasting taxpayers' money and that he was right not to allow it (or perform that medley, VG :lol: ).
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Well that's a shame. Some EC definitely belonged there.
I was lucky enough to take part in the opening (played drums in the Industrial Revolution segment), and it was an amazing experience. I thought Boyle & team did a fantastic job, not to mention they were wonderful to work with and very generous with all us volunteers. I seriously don't get EC's beef with it.