New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Pretty self-explanatory
migdd

Re: New album for 2013: collaboration with The Roots!

Post by migdd »

I'm curious about the amount of collaboration there was on the songwriting chores for the album. One could assume that the songs have been co-written by EC and members of The Roots. I wonder if there will be any pure EC compositions in this or conversely, if there are any songs that were composed without EC's participation.

One would assume that this collaboration will not be Elvis Costello with his backing band, The Roots.

Let the speculation begin. . . :wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks for the vids again here doc! wasn't there another song (or two) besides High Fidelity that they had played together on Fallon? and this version of "FIRE" makes me think that when they do the post lp tour, they should include "A MESSAGE TO YOU RUDY" in the setlist. 8) 8) 8)
cwr

Post by cwr »

Ooh, thanks, docinwestchester, for posting those clips!

Does anyone have video OR audio of the time he did "High Fidelity" and "(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea" with The Roots on Fallon?

I wish that they wouldn't let clips like that expire online. It's not like they're saving them for DVDs or syndication or something. It would be way more cool if they'd keep them online as a full archive.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

cwr wrote:Does anyone have video OR audio of the time he did "High Fidelity" and "(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea" with The Roots on Fallon?
High Fidelity:
http://vimeo.com/58062946
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
cwr wrote:Does anyone have video OR audio of the time he did "High Fidelity" and "(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea" with The Roots on Fallon?
High Fidelity:
http://vimeo.com/58062946
Well, if this album is anything like that, we should be in for a humdinger 8)
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

for historical sake, i would be remiss to not reiterate...THIS was the arrangement the Attractions did of this tune the VERY first time i saw them live on 3-30-1979 at the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, New Jersey. Get Happy!! presumambly was NOT yet recorded as it did not hit the stores for another 9 months or so. they also did FAST takes of B MOVIE and OPPORTUNITY; IDLE HANDS (an early take on TEMPTATION) and had opened the night with I STAND ACCUSED!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Can someone post the Elvis & The Roots version of "Black And White World"?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

sweetest punch wrote:Can someone post the Elvis & The Roots version of "Black And White World"?
Oops, forgot about that one...a beauty:

https://vimeo.com/58262572
John

Post by John »

Neil. wrote:Thanks, guys! That means there are even more Elvis songs on the way! Woo-hoo!
Or could it be an album of just covers?
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

John wrote:
Neil. wrote:Thanks, guys! That means there are even more Elvis songs on the way! Woo-hoo!
Or could it be an album of just covers?
Let's hope not. I've always found EC much more compelling as a performer of original stuff than as an interpreter. Just my two cents.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Color me stoked. The one thing I dread about this collaboration is the inevitable dredging up of the Columbus incident by some itinerant youtube or HuffPost comment troll.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis Costello goes hip-hop and records new album with the Roots

'It was really love at first sight,' says Roots leader ?uestlove

Elvis Costello has recorded an album with the Roots. Following collaborations with Burt Bacharach, Bill Frisell and the composer Richard Harvey, the singer's hip-hop team-up will come out later this year.

"It was really love at first sight," ?uestlove, the Roots' bandleader, explained to Billboard. The band met Costello the same way they have met most of their recent musical partners: through Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, the TV show where they are the house band. "The second time [Elvis] came on, we surpassed the first one. So by the third time, he was like: 'Let's stop messing around and do something together.'"

Originally Costello and the Roots planned to record just a few songs. But the music sounded good, the sessions continued, and eventually the project was up to "13 or 14" tracks. "Then we said, 'Ooh! Wait a minute! Let's replace four of these songs with four better songs!'" ?uestlove said. "And now we have the tightest 12- to 14-song collection out of about 20 songs that we made."

?uestlove is remaining coy about what the music sounds like. "I can just say that it is brilliant," he said. The Roots will mix and master the recordings with their longtime engineer, Steven Mandel. The next issue is the matter of record labels: whereas the Roots are signed to Def Jam, Costello's last LPs have been released through Starbucks' Hear Music imprint. "We have the freedom to take it around, whether it's to Elvis's people or Def Jam's people," ?uestlove explained.

Meanwhile, the Roots are "in the genesis" of their 13th studio album, & Then You Shoot Your Cousin, which is due in 2014. And ?uestlove is also presiding over the long-awaited comeback album by R&B singer D'Angelo. "99% of it is done," he revealed. "We worked to the bone in the entire month of January just to tighten up all the loose ends … He's one of those artists that have, of course, taken 13 years to follow up a record. It's going to take you about 10 years to digest this record."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/ja ... -new-album

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

This could be unrelated to the Roots album, but Elvis was working on something at NRG Recording Studios in North Hollywood on Tuesday.
Wow. It's been a star studded week and it's only Wednesday! Miley Cyrus was in Monday and then Elvis Costello was working last night in Studio A! Let's see what the rest of the week has to offer!
https://www.facebook.com/nrgrecordingst ... 4146413496
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Muriel Teodori posts to Facebook
Gangsters at Troubadour santa monica

I wonder what was on there in the past few days ?

http://www.troubadour.com/

and this -

Amoeba los angeles
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

John Foyle wrote:
I wonder what was on there in the past few days ?
13 Feb: Dear Boy: http://www.clubzone.com/events/571553/l ... r/dear-boy

14 Feb: Dead Meadow: http://grimygoods.com/2013/02/06/win-ti ... b-14-2013/

15-16 Feb: Savoy: http://djoystick.com/events/savoy-8/

None of these seem particularly Elvis' kind of thing, but perhaps Dear Boy come closest?

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

Maybe Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell, who were at the Troubadour on February 9.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Questlove: Elvis Costello and the Roots Recorded 'A Brilliant Album'

February 21, 2013 2:15 PM ET

Elvis Costello clicked with the Roots so well during his various appearances on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon that a collaboration with them snowballed from one song to an entire album that seems like it will be ready for Record Store Day on April 20th.

Roots drummer Questlove recently talked with NYU Local about jamming with Costello in the Roots' dressing room studio at Fallon and the album they made together. "After Elvis Costello's third appearance, we liked him so much we were like, 'Hey why don’t we make a record?'" said Questlove. "What went from being one song to be released on Record Store Day became 'Why don't we try four songs?' Now we have a brilliant album."

Questlove says he's more than pleased with the nearly finished album, the title of which Costello wants to keep under wraps for now. "In the whole history of the Roots, I have never bragged on an album first, but I actually love this record," Questlove said.

The drummer also said the Roots will start working with Al Green on his next album, and that he's going to team with comedian Amy Schumer on a special. He's teaching a course at NYU this semester called "Classic Albums," and is currently working on D'Angelo's long-awaited new album.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... m-20130221
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

So when do we start work on guessing the new album title?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
migdd

Post by migdd »

Roots Canal! 8)
And No Coffee Table

Elvis Costello clicked with the Roots so well during his various appearances on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon that a collaboration with them snowballed from one song to an entire album that seems like it will be ready for Record Store Day on April 20th.
Steven Mandel said on Twitter that they will "Drop a song or 2 on RSD", which I think means a single is coming out on April 20 but not the whole album.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

migdd wrote:Roots Canal! 8)
:lol:

Not a bad start. First single is a cover of River Deep Molar High.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The source of the RS piece -

http://nyulocal.com/on-campus/2013/02/2 ... new-class/

February 21st, 2013

(extract)

NYU Local: What other projects are your working on other than Fallon and the new D’Angelo album.

Questlove: The Elvis project’s almost done.

NYU Local: What’s that?

Questlove: You know one of our big experiments on the Fallon show – our room is a studio. So, after Elvis Costello’s third appearance, we liked him so much we were like hey why don’t we make a record? Well what went from being one song to be released on Record Store Day became – why don’t we try four songs? Now we have a brilliant album. And, in the whole history of The Roots, I have never bragged on an album first, but I actually love this record.

NYU Local: Does it have a title?

Questlove: Yes, but he doesn’t want me to release it yet. More likely, it’s going to go to some subsidiary of Universal, like Def Jam or Blue Note.

NYU Local: It would be so cool if it’s on Blue Note.

Questlove: Yeah, I want it to go on Blue Note.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

WAY COOL...either way, i smell VINYL lp!!!! :D
migdd

Post by migdd »

The Roots are currently the house band for Late Night With Jimmy Fallon and continue to release new material. A new album, & Then You Shoot Your Cousin, a collaboration with Elvis Costello, is slated for release on April 20, Record Store Day.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/book ... s/1951891/
Last edited by migdd on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
migdd

Post by migdd »

On the other hand . . .

The Roots are gearing up to release a full-length collaborative album with Elvis Costello later in the year. According to drummer/bandleader ?uestlove, the two acts have recorded “around 20 songs together”, and now have “the tightest 12-14 song collection”. A new The Roots LP, provisionally titled & Then You Shoot Your Cousin, is due in late 2013 or early 2014. Click below to watch the interview.

http://www.factmag.com/2013/02/27/the-r ... ues-album/