New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Pretty self-explanatory
Poor Deportee

Re: New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Post by Poor Deportee »

Oh, my goodness.

I've listened to this thing twice now. Loved it from start to finish, right from the get-go. I actually found myself choking up slightly at one point, because of the bizarre and completely unexpected feeling that THIS is the Elvis whose music I first loved. As counter-intuitive as it sounds, there is a direct line from this record to his peak work with the Attractions (GH!!, Trust, Armed Forces, etc.). Part of it is the joyous revelling in the studio - effects, echoes, backing himself, making himself sound weird and different, all things he used to do but abandoned sometime around 1993. Part of it is the rhythmic sensibility, another part the absence of affect in the lyric; and finally, HE IS SINGING: not reaching, hollering, but just letting his voice be his voice, with any further effects added at the console.

On the second go-round, I choked up (a bit, mind - I never was a big bawler :mrgreen: ) at the sheer poignant beauty of "Tripwire."

But my favourite sample is the hilarious borrowing of the tuba riff from "Chewing Gum." Now THAT's something nobody saw coming - building a whole song off that!

Even my 9-year-old daughter, she of P!nk, Taylor Swift, etc., digs this record. The moment it began she expressed surprise: "Elvis Costello is singing hip hop???" Five minutes later: "He's a good rapper!" and clapping along in the back seat :lol: No better proof exists that this WILL be a hit record if it's presented properly.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

After just 2 listens ( I too prefer the event of buying in a shop ) I am enjoying this record. Just how much and how it ranks with other releases requires many more listens for a considered opinion.My preference would have been if Elvis has not "borrowed" so much/or so little of his back catalogues lyrics and riffs. However that is only a minior quibble and to the uninitiated they would ( without reading the reviews) not be aware of this. Also most surprisingly my 14 year old son who champions the Hill Top Hoods is suitably impressed.Do hope its a commercial success.
Good manners and bad breath get you nowhere
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

John wrote:Has anyone in the UK actually got a copy of the deluxe CD? If so, where did you get it from?
Pre-order from Amazon UK, and in fairness (a) it arrived at 10:00 Monday, and (b) was the bonus tracks version. A mate of mine picked one up on Monday from HMV Birmingham, and again they had both the regular and bonus tracks versions. So it looks as though big UK branches of HMV are stocking it (if you can find one that's still open).

Has anybody got around to doing a definitive list of exactly which lyrics, riffs or samples are reworked from older EC tracks?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

As ever, the Wiki has addressed this question:
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... and_quotes

It also informs us that Welsh bassist and veteran of many different acts Pino Palladino plays bass on If I Could Believe and sugar Won't Work:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pino_Palladino

For a moment I thought legendary DJ and remixer Frankie Knuckles was playing percussion on it, but no, that's Frank!

Poor Dep: your comment re being reminiscent of the Attractions is what Alexis Petridis said in the Guardian, which chimed because it was one of the things I thought on first hearing Walk Us Uptown.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Anyone noticed the tiny sample from 'All The Rage' (the piano from the fadeout) which appears on 'My New Haunt' when he references the hole in the ceiling? Through which twinkling stars are glimpsed - the piano bit is the sound of the stars twinkling!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

You've beaten the wiki to the deluxe samples!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
John

Post by John »

Someone mentioned a 60 page booklet. Is that just with the deluxe edition or with both versions of the CD?
jardine

Post by jardine »

oh my!!

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)

#2 in Music > Rock
#2 in Music > Pop
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Elvis will have another album out before wow send my one.

Really pissed off. Sadly the HMV in Moorgate where is used to buy my music was one of those to be closed
GCM

Post by GCM »

I pre-ordered with cd-wow ages ago and only today received an email telling me it had been despatched, with a delivery time of between 4 and 10 working days.

I won't be using them again!
OnesnamedGus

Post by OnesnamedGus »

People slag off Amazon but at least one gets a digital version of the album from midnight on the day of release. I still haven't had the hard copy but am enjoying it on my iPod.

(Too early to judge but I think I'm going to enjoy this one more than quite a few other recent EC releases)
Anodyne

Post by Anodyne »

Neil. wrote:Anyone noticed the tiny sample from 'All The Rage' (the piano from the fadeout) which appears on 'My New Haunt' when he references the hole in the ceiling? Through which twinkling stars are glimpsed - the piano bit is the sound of the stars twinkling!
Yes! And the melody of the sort-of chorus borrows the tune of 'Stella Hurt'.

All these little quotes keep a smile on my face every time I listen. I'm head-over-heels in love with this album.
History History

Post by History History »

GCM wrote:I pre-ordered with cd-wow ages ago and only today received an email telling me it had been despatched, with a delivery time of between 4 and 10 working days.

I won't be using them again!

Beware Wow! I cancelled my order because of the long wait for delivery only to be told it has been dispatched from the warehouse...10 days!!! Never waited this long before for a new Elvis album. :roll:
John

Post by John »

This was the email I received from WOW HD today:-

We have experienced a delay in receiving this product from our suppliers and we are currently awaiting confirmation of when the goods will be available for dispatch. As soon as we have this information, we will let you know by email.

I think I may cancel and look elsewhere.
John

Post by John »

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2013/09/18 ... -his-past/

Ghost out of its shell: Elvis Costello teams up with The Roots to put a fresh spin on his past

Having spent his whole career skirting pigeonholes, Elvis Costello has no love for them now. The songwriting chameleon’s new album, Wise Up Ghost (Blue Note), recorded in collaboration with The Roots, is “just some music,” he says. “Anybody who thinks, ‘Oh yeah, this is the hip-hop record’ – that would be such a terrible thing.”

In fairness, Costello isn’t averse to exercises in genre: his 36-year discography includes soul, country, piano-ballad, orchestral pop, chamber music, and New Orleans records, in addition to every flavour of rock. And while he may not rap on Wise Up Ghost, the oft-dramatic singer narrows his range, declaiming his lyrics against Roots drummer/bandleader Ahmir “?uestlove” Thompson’s rough-textured breakbeat grooves. What’s more, in the spirit of hip-hop sampling and collage, Costello has found a new way to revisit – and remix – his past.

My agenda was to wake up to what I had at my disposal.

He first met The Roots in 2009 on The Jimmy Fallon Show, where they serve as the musically omnivorous house band, equally adept at freestyling songs about audience members and slow-jamming the news. At first, Costello was anxious enough about whether The Roots would back him to call up a friend of theirs who works with his wife, Diana Krall, and make sure it was worth even asking. ?uestlove, it turned out, was such a keen fan, he even worked up a version of Costello’s classic High Fidelity based on an obscure early, funked-up live recording. Over the next few years, Costello would reappear on the show and jam with The Roots in their dressing room in between stops on an ambitious world tour.

Costello and his backing band, The Impostors, had learned 150 of his songs; their setlists were determined by audience members who’d spin a giant wheel, revealing patterns he hadn’t noticed before. “My agenda,” he says, on the phone from New York, “was to wake up to what I had at my disposal,” including “narrative threads between the songs.” He started writing material by patching together lyrics from throughout his career, which he’d set to new melodies, reconfiguring vignettes of Thatcherite greed and post-Katrina malaise. His aim was to create “a bridge to a number of new thoughts. I wanted to show where those thoughts emerged from – that it was a consistent line of inquiry, that our vigilance about all these matters is the only way in which they get attended to.” He also started writing densely imagistic new songs such as “Tripwire,” which packs religion, oppression, surveillance, media, and propaganda into a scant few lines: “There’s a cross in the line of the circuit / There’s a voice that you might overhear / There’s a lens making the picture perfect / They say you have nothing to fear.”

He and The Roots started recording their dressing-room sessions; often they’d base the music on Costello’s back catalogue as well. “Tripwire” builds melancholic soul on elements of the pristine 1989 number Satellite. The disquieting, cinematic title track uses a string sample from North and Cinqo Minutos Con Voy grew out of rehearsals for High Fidelity, as captured by Roots producer Steve Mandel, who adds swirling, dubby effects.

This last song’s lyrics were inspired by Costello’s 1982 song Shipbuilding, the story of an English father working on a boat that will sail his son to Argentina to be killed in the Falklands War. Costello calls Cinqo Minutos “a simple tragedy about a daughter waiting for her father to arrive into exile and never arriving because he’s been pushed out of an aeroplane.” He compares the Argentinian dictators’ methods of suppressing dissent with “accounts of people who have been flown off somewhere to be interrogated in our name, without any accountability, sometimes by people whose methods we abhor and claim to be those of the reprehensible enemy.”

Wise Up Ghost is shot through with anger at a dysfunctional world, and yet Costello insists it’s not without hope: otherwise, he notes wryly, he’d have called it Drop Dead Ghost. The album is full of ear candy and danceable beats, and its apocalyptic imagery is relieved at the end as Costello, in old-fashioned crooner mode, sings the gentle If I Could Believe. It’s a moment of near-spiritual earnestness that closes with a big string section playing what Costello calls “crazy chromatics … undercutting any kind of grandiosity.”

For all his thoughtful observations, and his and ?uestlove’s encyclopedic pop geekery, Costello says they “haven’t really theorized this record … we just played.” True to his former role as the host of CTV’s songwriter interview show Spectacle, he seems to prefer asking questions to offering answers. And where the cover of Wise Up Ghost seems to mythologize him, echoing the design of the City Lights beat-era Pocket Poets Series that published Ginsberg’s Howl, Costello admits he demurred when it was first suggested.

He may have penned some of the most vivid lyrics in pop – ?uestlove compares them to the work of Ezra Pound – but he insists, “I don’t have any pretense to being a poet. There are some very cruel and vain and deluded people among poets… they’re not all as a class a noble breed. Doctors get struck off for malpractice, and bankers go to jail and get disgraced – all those voices of authority have switched around a little bit. So I’ll just be me, thank you for the compliment, but I’m not going to elevate myself.”

So the words “Number One” on the cover – they’re simply there to foreshadow a sequel? Costello chuckles. “That’s just a chart prediction. We’re not setting the bar too high.”
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I haven't yet received that email from WOWHD. I'm in London on Thursday so I'll see if j can find it anywhere before cancelling my order.

The whole situation here in the UK is ridiculous. How difficult can it be to pre-order a CD and then deliver it on or around its release date?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
John

Post by John »

Hi Verbal - that email was in response to my emailed complaint. Oh for the days you could go into town and take your pick from HMV, Virgin, Smiths, Woolies, Boots, Our Price, Menzies and a host of others that would stock Elvis' latest release.

I believe there is still an HMV at Speke and Liverpool (closest to me) but going from what Colin has posted they don't have the deluxe version. I didn't really want to spend £21 on the cd but it may come to that (from Amazon) and cancel from WOW HD. Play.com's deluxe edition seems to be an import also as they all are on ebay. Sainsburys are showing it as out of stock.

It's as if Elvis' people have abandoned the UK as a market. I ordered National Ransom online via EC's website and that was a disaster. I think I received it shortly before it was deleted!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

http://louderthanwar.com/elvis-costello ... um-review/

Another Elvis Costello album and another collaboration. But this one is with alt hip hop outfit The Roots. idp checks out the results.

What’s the first thought that crosses your mind when you hear there’s a new Elvis Costello album out? There’s a good chance that it’s ‘Oh yeah, Elvis Costello. Who’s he with now?’

He’s a serial collaborator is Elvis. The Brodsky Quartet, Alain Toussaint, Sophie von Otter, Burt Bacharach – no one can accuse him of musical narrow mindedness. He’s one of those people who is clearly in love with all kinds of music and with all kinds of musicians.

But while the results of this promiscuity are always interesting they’re not always his best work, sometimes it can seem like he’s trying just that little bit too hard. The really good stuff tends to come when he’s with a group of musicians he knows and trusts, typically The Attractions or Imposters or whatever they’re called nowadays. His last stone cold masterpiece was 2002′s angular, bitter When I Was Cruel; albums since then have included the distinctly dull piano ballads of North and the very ordinary roots of The Delivery Man. Momofuku was good though.

So who’s he with now? None other than alternative hip hop pioneers The Roots with whose leader ?uestlove or Questlove he struck up a friendship after they had worked together on the Late Night With Jimmy Fallon Show. Jam sessions followed and then a plan for an album revisiting Costello’s back catalogue which gradually developed into Wise Up Ghost, a mix of old, new and reworked material. Clearly it’s a work that its authors want us to take seriously – it’s released on the prestigious Blue Note jazz label and arrives with a black and white text only jacket design in homage to Lawrence Ferlinghetti’s City Lights poetry covers. Is there a message here? Is this Costello’s Howl? Certainly these songs are populated by enough grotesques and snapshots of urban despair to make the connection tenable even if there are no saintly motorcyclists or screams of joy.

It’s not a surprise of course that Elvis Costello should choose to cut a soul album – his first arrival in that territory was 1980′s Get Happy – an affectionate homage to the Stax sound – and he has revisited frequently. Questlove himself has a long history of collaboration having contributed to albums by D’Angelo, Fiona Apple, John Mayer, Christine Aguilera and Joss Stone to name only a few.

From that point of view it’s a dream pairing but we know from past experience that dream pairings don’t necessarily produce baby pandas so it’s an album to approach with a degree of trepidation, but from the opening bars of the first track it’s pretty clear that this collaboration is one of the success stories.

A rhythm picked out on what sounds like an early digital telephone dialling system, some bleeps of computer noise, a Doppler shifted train horn followed by an urgent keyboard riff and we’re off, immediately drawn into a soundscape that’s urban and timeless, polite but always slightly threatening, with The Roots providing a tight and respectful 1970′s soul backing to Costello, who leans into the vocal with his trademark sly vehemence and who for once is happy to sound, well, just like Elvis Costello. Which is how we want him to sound. We never quite get the full on contemptuous sneering Elvis Costello but for most of the album he sounds thoroughly mardy, supercilious and rather unpleasant – just right then.

And contrary to rumour this is definitely not Costello’s hip hop album – the musical equivalent of Dad dancing – this is distinctively and recognisably a mainstream Elvis Costello album; for the most part Questlove and his boys seem content to take a deferential back seat and fulfil the role of backing group. And what a backing group it is. The drums always rock solid but capable of distinctly skittish asides along the way, some fine loping bass and then blasts of brass and keyboards which serve as punctuation to the lyric, Costello’s muse has seldom been so well served by a band.

There’s some archaeology to be done among the lyrics – whole chunks of earlier songs are incorporated into the new work – possibly this sampling and reworking is where the hip hop tradition shows it’s influence most clearly, although Costello has always been a bit of a magpie himself. Refuse To Be Saved is a new take on Invasion Hit Parade from Mighty Like A Rose, Wake Me Up runs together elements of Bedlam from The Delivery Man and The River In Reverse (from the album of the same name), (She Might Be A) Grenade takes it’s lyric from She’s Pulling Out The Pin (also from The Delivery Man) and anti Thatcher favourite Pills And Soap gets a lick of paint and a new identity as Stick Out Your Tongue.

Do they all benefit from the radical revisioning? In most case the answer is yes, especially in the case of Bedlam, whose lyric, when pushed to the front of the mix and not smothered with percussion like the original, reveals itself to be one of Costello’s better later works. It’s not just his own back catalogue that Costello samples – snippets from songs as diverse as The Red Flag and We Wish You A Merry Christmas manage to insinuate themselves into the mix and I’ve no doubt that a diligent listen would yield even more borrowings. This is a knowing album that takes great pleasure in being just a little bit obscure. It has no intention of giving up its meanings easily.

There are some good things among the originals too. Viceroy’s Row is a lyrically dense homage to places where they’re selling postcards of the hanging, Walk Us Uptown is a song to be sung on twenty first century protest marches until the guns open fire, Sugar Won’t Work offers a welcome to the end times and provides a catalogue of unnatural portents of doom straight out of Macbeth, Tripwire drips with not entirely convincing compassion that sounds like a veiled threat and If I Could Believe (the album’s only ballad) is a world weary two fingered salute to credulousness. Only Cinqo Minutos Con Vos with its latin jazz stylings seems not to hit the mark.

The album’s highlight, and the song which will doubtless appear on several future Greatest Hits compilations is the title track Wise Up Ghost, which starts slow, the distant vocal accompanied only by strings, but gradually the vocal comes closer and the band arrive one by one as dystopic visions are piled high one on top of the other until the whole structure threatens to topple but never quite does.

Here and on Tripwire are the signs that Costello’s verbose and cryptic lyricism and sure fire ear for a hook are both functioning at full power.

‘An old woman living in a cardboard shoe,
Lost so many souls she don’t know what to do.
So say your prayers
Cos down the stairs
It’s 1932.
Wise Up And Rise Up Ghost.”

Highly recommended.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Interview with Questlove includes:
One of the nice things about Wise Up Ghost is how organic it sounds — it doesn’t sound like one of those shotgun weddings, where you put two artists together in the studio and it’s just kind of awkward.

It was the opposite of a shotgun wedding. We never knew we were making a record. I always give the analogy, like when the girl asks the guy after a fourth date: “What are we doing? Are we dating?” After we did fourteen of these songs, we were like, “Are we making a record? Or are we just doing this for fun?” Initially, I thought that maybe I’d just leak a song on the Internet for free. Elvis just happened to play it for Don Was, and it went from there.

We made this album in our dressing room [at Late Night With Jimmy Fallon]. After the show was over, Elvis would come at, like, seven o’clock, and we’d just mess around until 2 a.m. and go home with these cool songs. And after a while, that wound up being sixteen, seventeen songs.

I remember reading somewhere T-Bone Burnett saying that Elvis could tear off a lyric in the studio, writing a whole song in just a few minutes. Did you see him work like that?

The way his musical faucet works is unlike any human being I’ve seen. A song like “The Puppet Has Cut His Strings,” about his father who passed away, we worked on the music to that and “Sugar Won’t Work” the last day that we recorded. And I was kinda concerned, because there was no lyrics, no vocals, and Elvis was going to take the record to Don Was the next day. I thought, He’s not going to finish these new songs in time. And I came back to work at eleven-thirty in the morning, and Steve Mandel, our engineer said: “Dude, you are not gonna fucking believe it. He knocked out the songs in, like, three hours. He just sat there listening to the songs and these lyrics came pouring out.”

But most of the time, he would have the lyrics first. “I’ve got lyrics, let’s do music.” I’ve never done that before. I come from the hip-hop world, where you make a track — and then you wait for nine months while someone gets over their writer’s block. But no, not in this case.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

I can't be the only one whose notices a profusion of religious imagery and references in the new lyrics? I haven't tracked them all, but it seems to me that, while this tendency was always present, it's really integral to the material on this go-round (including on the title track). "If I Could Believe" pretty much settles any question of a (re)conversion or anything so alarming, but he does seem to be drawn more intensely to these themes here. At the risk of being impudent, I wonder if his father's passing has been a trigger for a deepending of this preoccupation with the scent of incense in our former altar boy's clothes.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Despatch pending better than back order I suppose
earl satz

Post by earl satz »

Poor Deportee wrote:I can't be the only one whose notices a profusion of religious imagery and references in the new lyrics? I haven't tracked them all, but it seems to me that, while this tendency was always present, it's really integral to the material on this go-round (including on the title track). "If I Could Believe" pretty much settles any question of a (re)conversion or anything so alarming, but he does seem to be drawn more intensely to these themes here. At the risk of being impudent, I wonder if his father's passing has been a trigger for a deepending of this preoccupation with the scent of incense in our former altar boy's clothes.
I noticed, too. I was surprised when I saw the words "glorious reign" when I read the lyrics (for the song WUG)--I had been hearing "glorious rain." That got me thinking the ghost may be the Holy Ghost, but I'm not a Catholic and I'm not familiar with what that concept is exactly.
jardine

Post by jardine »

I'll bet it was a term used for Queen Victoria and the glorious reign of the Empire,

and also this from the New Advent website: "At the end of time Christ will return in all His splendour to gather together the just, to annihilate hostile powers, and to found a glorious kingdom on earth for the enjoyment of the highest spiritual and material blessings; He Himself will reign as its king. At the close of this kingdom the saints will enter heaven with Christ, while the wicked, who have also been resuscitated, will be condemned to eternal damnation. The duration of this glorious reign of Christ and His saints on earth, is frequently given as one thousand years. Hence it is commonly known as the "millennium", while the belief in the future realization of the kingdom is called "millenarianism" (or "chiliasm", from the Greek chilia, scil. ete)."

So it links up as well to all the end-of-days bizarreness of neo-conservativism in the US, and images of the war with Islam precipitating the Last Days, apocalyptic visions and confrontations, after which the glorious reign begins. Pulling out the pin ushers in the glorious reign. It really is a deliciously horrifying phrase that should give comfort but, for me, invokes quite the opposite.

oh, and, just found this "Margaret Thatcher: Volume One: The Grocer's Daughter: v. 1 and .... Street, which also deals with the beginning of her long and glorious reign as Prime Minister" --this a phrase from a review by Pieter Uys HALL OF FAME TOP 50 REVIEWER on amazon.ca
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Well, the Holy Ghost is of course one part of the trinity; one aspect of God on any Catholic or Christian account. And while I haven't parsed the lyrics with care - I'm enjoying the music too much to sit down and pore over the lyrics sheet in these early days - I'm pretty sure one intended implication of "Wise up/rise up Ghost" is indeed a call upon the Lord, along the lines of U2's "Wake Up Dead Man," which is another song whose injunction speaks both to human beings (rise up, you fools!!) and God.

This doesn't mean EC is suddenly bible-thumping. I take it more as a cry for help to the universe: a sentiment that is surely, well, universal in dark days. "God, man, somebody...wake up and fix this mess."

Again, without claiming to have carefully dissected these lyrics, I've never felt so strongly EC's basic disappointment in the world's inability to hold anything sacred. There's a kind of sad, empathetic wisdom that runs through this album...the critique is still there but the bile and sarcasm have been left behind, in favour of a compassion that feels as deep as anything he's ever done. Early days, but I rate "Tripwire" as one of his finest moments for just this reason.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Just noticed the Records section of EC.com now has a page for Wise Up Ghost, including liner notes and personnel pages.

http://www.elviscostello.com/homepage#/ ... ost/cd/733

Here's the strings detail which hasn't been posted anywhere yet as far as I can tell:
The Brent Fischer Orchestra:
Conducted by Brent Fischer
Violins: Elizabeth Wilson, Mark Cargill, Sally Berman, Alex Gorlovsky, Mike Ferrill, Anna Kostyuchek, Sam Fischer
Violas: Roalnd Kato, Kazi Pitelka, Robert Berg.
Cellos: Cecilia Tsan, Miguel Martinez, Kevan Torfeh
Basses: Drew Dembowski, Ken Wild
Bass Clarinet: Alex Budman
Bassoon/Contrabassoon: Bob Carr
Euphonium/Marching Baritone: Steve Hughes
Contrabass Trombone/Euphonium/Tuba: Bill Reichenbach