New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Pretty self-explanatory
Natasha

Re: New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Post by Natasha »

MOJO wrote:I don't know if it is an Apple issue. I think the tune needs to published to the store. Maybe the Brazil iTunes store was overlooked or it's a licensing issue. I don't know anything, really, but I see publishing requests like this at my workplace. People can't see an iOS app in their store until you turn the switch "on" to make it available.
Yes, I know all this. But many other releases are avaiable immediatly. And, well, we still have to pay in american dollars and with international credit card. I just hate how Apple and Amazon work. But this is another subject.

The single is fantastic and I´m sure the rest of the album will be as well. Maybe one day I can have it.
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2013/ ... us-uptown/

Track Review: Elvis Costello and the Roots, “Walk Us Uptown”

Elvis Costello and The Roots
“Walk Us Uptown”
(Blue Note)
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Elvis Costello is no stranger to soul music. On his fourth album, 1980’s Get Happy!!, Costello and The Attractions recorded a full-length tribute to the Stax sound of the ‘60s. In 2002, he contributed a song to Solomon Burke’s Give Up On Me, and four years later, collaborated with New Orleans legend Allen Toussaint on The River In Reverse. But “Walk Us Uptown,” the first single from Costello’s full-length collaboration with The Roots, is possibly the funkiest thing he’s released to date. It helps that The Roots never leave the pocket; with two decades of releasing consistently amazing hip-hop records, The Roots have ascended to one of the tightest bands since the J.B.’s, and they more than live up to their reputation here. Questlove’s solid beats back a meaty, trippy excursion into dirty, psychedelic soul, with some nasty sounding organs and some truly powerful horns. While few bands can match the original lineup of The Attractions for simply kicking ass, Costello’s found his new match in The Roots.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Review of Walk Us Uptown by Ultimate Classic Rock: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/elvis-co ... own-video/

We’ll need to wait until Sept. 17 to wrap our ears around Elvis Costello‘s full-length collaboration with the Roots. But in the meantime, we can at least savor the set’s first taste.

‘Walk Us Uptown,’ the lead single from Costello and the Roots’ upcoming ‘Wise Up Ghost’ album, is out now — and like most singles these days, it’s been given the lyric-video treatment. Opening with some brief shots of Costello and Roots drummer Questlove sitting down at a windup record player, the clip superimposes the song’s lyrics over the spinning LP. It’s not the most dynamic video Costello has ever released, but it does at least highlight his still-sharp way with words.

As for the song’s sound, it’s definitely another shift for the ever-restless singer-songwriter. While ‘Walk Us Uptown’ doesn’t include any rap verses from the Roots’ brilliant MC, Black Thought, it struts behind a hip-hop-inflected groove, with an insistent horn riff punctuating the melody. It’s essentially a continuation of the soul-influenced work the Roots have recorded in recent years, both on their own and with collaborators like Betty Wright and John Legend.
----------
And 10 things you didn't know about Elvis: :) http://ultimateclassicrock.com/10-thing ... -costello/
Last edited by sweetest punch on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... -walk.html

Earlier this year the news of a Roots/Elvis Costello collaboration created quite a bit of excitement for fans of these prolific artists. After working together on Jimmy Fallon the crew immediately felt a connection, which resulted in Wise Up Ghost the forthcoming album from Costello and The Roots crew. This morning the group shared a the album’s first single “Walk Us Uptown” in the form of a bare-boned but exciting lyric video.

The video for “Walk Us Uptown,” directed by Marian Blanco, features Costello and ?uestlove posting up with a record player and listening to the new single. Quite frankly, the sight of these two artists together alone is enough to make us giddy. ?uestlove may have called the album a “moody, brooding affair,” but “Walk Us Uptown” feels far more like a bouncing blend of both artists’ finer aspects.

“Walk Us Uptown” features The Roots’ skittish horn arrangements and shuffling percussion, and Costello’s soulful vocals tumble along with cunning wordplay as he rides the soaring soundscape.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/07/l ... us-uptown/

The song is a somewhat surprising amalgamation of both acts’ distinct sensibilities. Costello’s jaded croon and cynical lyricism (“Or swallow the Earth/Pouring into your mouth/As they bury us upright/saying ‘Everything’s alright’”) are a clear return to his This Year’s Model glory days. Meanwhile, Questlove and Co. eschew their more melodic, laid-back tendencies for a sound that mixes the soulful swing of jazz horns and muted guitar with more menacing emotional undertones.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.soulculture.co.uk/music-blog ... new-music/

“Walk Us UPTOWN” is a marked departure from Costello’s usual sound and discography and sees The Roots branching out from their usual roster of R&B and Hip-Hop artists. Taking on a soulful breakbeat groove accompanied by a bouncing bassline, Costello adds his unique spoken-sung vocals and creates an almost ska-like number that incorporates the best sounds both sets of musicians have to offer
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mu ... 4995.story

Elvis Costello has debuted the first song from his forthcoming album with hip-hop band the Roots, "Wise Up Ghost," and, predictably, it's got some funk in its genes. Costello, whose longtime band the Attractions helped propel him to fame, has over his career worked with many unlikely collaborators, including the Brodsky String Quartet, Burt Bacharach, Paul McCartney and Costello's wife, vocalist Diana Krall.

But when the longtime New York expat announced his work with the Roots -- best known to the public at large as the house band on "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" -- even longtime fans were surprised by the juxtaposition.

They can relax. The first song, "Walk Us Uptown," sounds like vintage Costello, with a deep, dubby bassline that recalls his classic "Watching the Detectives" and a typically catchy vocal melody that the man known as the Imposter anchors to the rhythm. Unlike the Attractions, though, the Roots sprouted from hip hop, and infuse "Walk Us Uptown" with a snare-snapping beat courtesy of Roots co-founder Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson.

"Will you walk us uptown?" wonders Costello to open the song, "and wherever you go you know we'll follow." An indictment of politicians, wealth and privilege (without ever mentioning those words), Costello on "Walk Us Uptown" is filled with understandable bitterness.

"Will you walk us uptown/Will you gather us near/As cowards flee and traitors sneer," he sings, indicting Republicans and Democrats alike: "Keep a red flag flying, keep a blue flag as well/And a white flag in case it all goes to hell."
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I am very pleased to see that there seems to be a concerted effort to get word out about this new album-unlike some recent efforts- maybe some real excitement can be generated. I do not know if this is the result of Bluenote being savvy enough to promote this product or the media savvy abilities of Questlove but it sure is refreshing to see the record being 'flogged' in a wide variety of information sources- and for that matter being talked about.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Jack of All Parades wrote:the media savvy abilities of Questlove
You nailed it. The guy has 2.6 million twitter followers, two new books (both interesting) and is overall just one hip cat.

Good for our Elvis!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

charliestumpy wrote:Although I in UK have ordered the Deluxe CD with extra tracks from amazon.com, this 'Walk us uptown' is a good reason not to buy, but to listen to DPAM especially on proper older analogue vinyl.
I'm going to wait and see if there's a Japanese edition as these usually have an extra track. At a price though...

I'm still undecided about the new single but I don't hear what everyone else is hearing.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.noise11.com/news/elvis-coste ... s-20130725

Elvis Costello Puts His Roots Aside For The Roots

The first Elvis Costello & the Roots collaboration has surfaced. ‘Walk Us Uptown’ is the first taste of the upcoming ‘Wise Up Ghost’ album due in September and for Elvis, working with others is now preferable to doing his own thing.

‘Wise Up Ghost’ is a Roots album with Elvis Costello on vocals, not an Elvis Costello album backed by The Roots.

Elvis says he has no plans to make another original album for himself. “I think things should take as long as they take,” he tells Noise11.com.

Between 1977 and 2010 Elvis Costello released 24 studio albums plus collaborations with Burt Bacharach, Allen Toussaint and Bill Frisell. His first nine albums were released over a seven-year period between 1977 and 1984. He no longer feels the need to keep up that pace.

‘One album I really like that I’ve heard this year is Iris DeMent’s record ‘Sing The Delta’. Have you checked how long it’s been since she recorded her last record? 16 years. What’s the rush?,” he says. “I have different responsibilities now in the division of my energy. I want to be around doing what I enjoy doing and not doing things I don’t enjoy doing”.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I sincerely hope we don't have to wait 16 years for the next album after WUG ! :shock:
I'm still waiting for the album predicyed by Jake Riviera of a solo album of Elvis just on giitar and tissue and comb called Wembley ! Can you recall the quote, John ?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Two listens and I'm gripped. Sounds like the best Costello lead-off single in some time. I find it very catchy and groovy, with a nice fusing of speeded up reggae chops (brilliant bass and keyboard stabs) and a breakbeat. If the rest of it is going to be anything like is powerful, we're in for a treat. The words fit the music very well and avoid trying to cram too much in. Lots of potent lines there. Feels like this collaboration was a very wised up move and Costello is very well partnered.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I'm still waiting for the album predicted by Jake Riviera of a solo album of Elvis just on guitar and tissue and comb called Wembley ! Can you recall the quote, John ?

This one?

http://www.elviscostello.info/books/rock_livesa.html

Rock Lives: Profiles and Interviews

By Timothy White.

The first time I played "Love Went Mad" from Punch the Clock, I cracked up laughing because I thought I caught a certain ingenious obscenity in the lyrics that I believed I must have heard wrong, but I checked and, yes, the lyric read: "I wish you luck with a capital F."

Hmm. I don't think that's a particularly good line. I think it's a lousy one, actually. I prefer the line before it, "With these vulgar fractions of the treble clef." That's just my personal preference. The other one's a bit of an untidy payoff, one of the worst lines on the record.

Seriously? I love it! It's a line I'd use in a pub.

Well, yeah, I suppose you're right. See, that's a song about complacency from a comic opera that will never exist. The detail in it about Piccadilly being turned into Brands Hatch refers to a racing car track in this country that's like the Indianapolis Speedway.

The song is about Mr. Complacency being down in the fallout shelter, totally resigned to his fate just seconds before he's obliterated. There he is down there, playing his family favorites on a tissue and a comb and thanking God he won't have to be tempted by young girls dressed as older women anymore-"There'll be no more lamb dressed as mutton rather than mutton dressed as lamb." [laughter] He's counting his few blessings that are left, 'cause he's lived such a good, saintly life.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I kind of recall that Jake quote too. Probably from 82-83, as I think he was mocking Springsteen's "Nebraska".

Dave
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Thanks Dave, I knew you'd have handle on that !
My first impression of the single (listening on a tinny iPhone) is how The Roots sound like early Attractions, a throbbing, meandering bass-line and keyboard bursts throughout. I'm also somewhat underwhelmed by ?uestlove's drumming if I'm honest.
Otis Westinghouse

Were you expecting pyrotechnics? Great funky, breakbeat drumming, love it.
docinwestchester

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Were you expecting pyrotechnics? Great funky, breakbeat drumming, love it.
Q is definitely not a flashy drummer. He's more a keeper of the beat.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.mojo4music.com/3601/elvis-co ... us-uptown/

Elvis Costello & The Roots Debut New Track, Walk Us Uptown

Questlove and MacManus unveil the first sounds from their forthcoming collaboration, Wise Up Ghost.

Well what a joyous relief.

Followers of Elvis Costello’s many and varied collaborations are a battle-hardened bunch, fully schooled in the caprices and vagaries of an exceptional artist easily bored by record industry models of repetition and routine.

So while Costello’s secret New York sessions with Questlove and crew undoubtedly looked great on paper – and the recent full album playback in a Soho hotel basement caused this writer to reach for the words “future classic” – who would knew for sure until we could hear it in our headphones?

Attached to a relatively simple lyric video that shows Elvis and Quest kicking back to some beat-up vinyl on a wind-up resonator phonograph, Walk Us Uptown finds Costello and The Roots referencing their respective pasts: the hypnotic early ’70s protest grooves of albums like Curtis Mayfield’s Roots and, perhaps more interestingly, the soul horns, breakbeat drums and wrathful lyrics of Costello’s own history, most specifically, 1983’s Punch The Clock.

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/mu ... _spot.html

ELVIS COSTELLO AND THE ROOTS

“Walk Us Uptown”

“Will you wash away our sins in the crossfire and cross-currents/As you uncross your fingers and take out some insurance . . . ” Though Costello has come up with a set of lyrics that shape the noise made by The Roots, the truth is that the eerie groove laid down by Questlove and Co. is sufficiently mesmerizing to stand on its own. A heady amalgam of soul, dub and ska, it sounds like a cross between The Specials’ “Ghost Town” (http://bit.ly/MccuuW ) and Dr. John’s “I Walk on Gilded Splinters” (http://bit.ly/ivbkku ). (From Wise Up Ghost, out Sept. 17, http://bit.ly/16UY10i )
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/07/t ... -week-726/

Yet again, The Roots have whipped up a tasty collaboration, this time alongside rock ‘n’ roll veteran, Elvis Costello. As ?uestlove and his crew drop the needle with a spring-loaded funk groove, Costello envelops a deep croon through a mega-phone vocal effect. It’s one of Costello’s most impeccable lyrical efforts in recent years and yet another impressive jaunt in delivering funk-wealthy instrumentation to get your hips sways and legs on the dance floor. “Walk Us Uptown” is off their much anticipated joint album, Wise Up the Ghost, due out September 17th via Blue Note Records.
Otis Westinghouse

Nice observation with the Specials/Dr John cross idea. Didn't know the latter (great track!), but can see where they're coming from. And yes, dub, soul and ska is about right. The heavy bass with no gaps in it, but with more of a hip-hop emphasis.

This track already has me thinking this album could be Elvis's best ever collaboration (especially with the above ref to 'future classic').

Tedious waiting till Sept.

Some great releases in 2013.
A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

Yeah! How come them critics get to hear it now and we have to wait till September?!

It isn't fair!
docinwestchester

A rope leash wrote:Yeah! How come them critics get to hear it now and we have to wait till September?!

It isn't fair!
It will leak before September.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

A rope leash wrote:Yeah! How come them critics get to hear it now and we have to wait till September?!

It isn't fair!
It never is.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?