New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Re: New album for 2013: collaboration with The Roots!

Post by And No Coffee Table »

migdd wrote:The Roots are currently the house band for Late Night With Jimmy Fallon and continue to release new material. A new album, & Then You Shoot Your Cousin, a collaboration with Elvis Costello, is slated for release on April 20, Record Store Day.
& Then You Shoot Your Cousin is a separate Roots album, not the Elvis collaboration. Questlove tweeted last month:
hey bloggers the Roots/Elvis project is NOT the "Cousin" album.....that's a whole nother project.
https://twitter.com/questlove/status/294456510568869888
And No Coffee Table

Questlove is asked on Twitter:
@questlove thinking of getting the breakbeats you did with Ludwig, do they record well?
And he replies:
Just did 1/2 the Costello lp w/ em
This video explains the Ludwig Breakbeats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4rv20pYtso
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

I was wondering if the new European Summer Tour will be in support of the new Costello/Roots album? If so, could this mean a mai/june releasedate for the album?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

sweetest punch wrote:I was wondering if the new European Summer Tour will be in support of the new Costello/Roots album? If so, could this mean a mai/june releasedate for the album?
According to this source, the album will be released on Record Store Day, which is April 20.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/elvis-costello-t ... album-news

Let's hope for at least a couple of NYC shows with EC and The Roots.
docinwestchester

http://exclaim.ca/News/record_store_day ... ced_so_far

Record Store Day 2013: The Massive List of Exclusives Announced So Far
(updated March 8 )

● Elvis Costello & the Roots - collaborative LP
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

docinwestchester wrote:Let's hope for at least a couple of NYC shows with EC and The Roots.
You know it's gonna happen! I'd be amazed if this passed by. Maybe it'll be a double header- an EC set, a Roots set and then an EC and the Roots set playing the whole album and a few more songs.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
cwr

Post by cwr »

Is there ANY chance that this is accurate, and they are gonna release the whole album for Record Store Day? Or is it more likely to be a single and we get the album a little later?

I've always had rotten luck with Record Store Day in NYC. It seems like no matter where I go, they don't have the things I'm looking for. I always end up having to get stuff on eBay later on.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

cwr wrote:Is there ANY chance that this is accurate, and they are gonna release the whole album for Record Store Day? Or is it more likely to be a single and we get the album a little later?
It's possible; remember "Momofuku" and how it was announced a month before its release? This might be a repeat of that kind of timeframe.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Where in NYC would I be most likely to be able to snag whatever it is that they put out on Record Store Day? I have terrible luck with this each year...
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Maybe J& R Music Exchange down by Maiden Lane and City Hall Park. Just a suggestion.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
bobfrombob

Post by bobfrombob »

The "official" RSD list is out and it's not on the list http://www.recordstoreday.com/Home (which doesn't mean it couldn't show up on the list later)
And No Coffee Table

That site does say there are other titles scheduled for April 20 but not considered official Record Store Day releases.

But there's not a lot of time left for an April 20 release to be announced.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

Safe to rule out RSD at this point?
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

I wouldn't say entirely... My Bloody Valentine recently released an album days after announcing it, so it could be possible with EC and the Roots. But... I wouldn't count on it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

It was all a bit Hi Fidelity when I visited a few Dublin 'indie' record stores over the weekend. I mentioned Record Store Day and the reaction was along the lines of 'Oh God, I can't wait for it to be over'. The thought of all those extra people arriving in, asking silly questions and actually wanting to spend money was just too appalling to think about. A more specific query about Costello/Roots was met with incomprehension, with one twit banging on about how Elvis hadn't made anything decent in years etc. I may drop in on one or two of them on the day but , no, I won't be lining up before they open .
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

Well, I was going to get up and go after the At the Drive In vinyl anyways, but apparently it's getting a wide release and RSD is just for a limited color pressing (I can live without that). If somehow Elvis and the Roots are dropping something, I'll be on the bus to downtown for certain, but otherwise, I might just sleep in finally. :lol:
docinwestchester

Today is Record Store Day.

Nothing?
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Nothing. :(
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

Maybe they meant 2014.
And No Coffee Table

Co-producer Steven Mandel continues to tease us on Twitter.
Steven Mandel wrote:Need red shoes and a green shirt for next year's Grammy's. @ElvisCostello @theroots
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

funny...just read it at twitter and didnt make the connection. now i recall the Mandel name. thanks ANCT! ALWAYS a pioneer and a man in the know!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Co-producer Steven Mandel continues to tease us on Twitter.
Steven Mandel wrote:Need red shoes and a green shirt for next year's Grammy's. @ElvisCostello @theroots
This is great news. To be eligible for the Grammy's 2014, a record has to be released before September 30, 2013.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
cwr

Post by cwr »

One of my favorite things that's happening is that it feels like this is maybe the first time that one of EC's high-profile collaborations is going to be putting a spotlight on EC.

When he's done albums with Bacharach, Von Otter, Toussaint, etc. Costello has always been very gracious about putting the focus on his legendary collaborator. The only partnership that could've really gone the other way was with McCartney, and it seems like Paul was never fully comfortable giving Costello the kind of "bump" that he could've easily done. If McCartney had wanted to do a joint tour, or an album together, I'm certain that Costello would've jumped at the chance, but Macca always seemed to resist having it look like EC was filling the "Lennon" slot, lest people think PM somehow needed that kind of partner to do great work.

(Costello has publicly hinted how much he'd love for their demos to be released in some way, and Paul seems to be the one dragging his heels on that.)

But this album with The Roots seems like a brand new thing: they are proud to be working with Costello AND they seem eager to put the spotlight on how great it is to be working with HIM. Not that Bacharach, Von Otter, Toussaint weren't-- they were always so fulsome in their praise of him, it's just that those collaborations were instigated by Costello and fueled by his desire to celebrate THEIR music. It feels like The Roots were the ones egging Costello on, they were the ones insisting "let's make an album" at a time when EC wasn't sure if he was even gonna make albums anymore.

It will be very interesting to see The Roots push hard for people to hear this record. It also occurs to me that we are very likely to see some kind of "Elvis Costello Week" on Jimmy Fallon when the record comes out!

I guess my main question is: will Tony Millionaire be brought back for a third record sleeve??
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I'm foaming at the mouth for this, now. I think he'll release it after the Imposters tour.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

cwr - great post.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?